Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yang Guo evil?

Default Yang Guo evil?

I sort of had a thought about what if YG turned to the darkside in ROCH. It would have been a lot more interesting and YG would have been a lot cooler and I would have liked him better.

Think about it for a second, YG's been through a heck of a lot of trauma that could have turned him into psychopath mode. We all know he didn't but what if, for a change he did.

I started thinking of the possibilities of a darker, more sinister, more devious YG and came up with a few scenarios. With his intelligence and array of talents, he could have saved himself and a whole lot of other ppl from a lot of hurt and trouble IF he wasn't so stubborn, hard headed, sensitive and emotional. A couple of times he could have and should have swallowed his pride, hidden his emotions, be a bit patient and used a more cerebral approach.

For example, right after he met up with the Guo couple, ideally after finding out who they were he should have just used Guo Jing's emotions to his advantage. For all of his intelligence, he would have identified GJ, HR, GF and the Wu's brothers character and found out their weaknesses. Knowing HR's smarts, try to stay away from her whenever possible and be the goody 2 shoes when she's around. That way, not only will HR's suspicion of him gradually dissapear, she might just feel sorry for the kid and take him under her wings. Theres no doubt if there wasn't so much trouble at the island, GJ would have allowed YG to be there and treated him like a son. Then there are those incidents with GF and the stupid Wu brothers. YG's problem with ppl is, everytime he meets someone who is not particularly nice to him, he immediately dislikes them and shows his dislike very obviously. And this just makes it worse because he gets picked on even more. And then all his nerves gets ticked off and he goes mental on them, causing trouble. Then he takes the heat because as usual, he'd be the stubborn old goat. If he had wanted to get even, he could have just used his cunning and come up with nasty ideas that will get the 3 brainless morons in trouble with the Guo's and he himself appearing like the victimised little angel. Or he could have acted like a nice little chap and got all friendly with them. Easy pickings for his sort of intelligence. He could have easily had GF around his pinky and the Wu bros would have been licking his toes. he would have been the heir apparent to GJ and the Guo's would have taught him everything they know. By 20, he would be a very very formidable fighter and would be in the running to be the next Beggar Clan leader. Later on, he might even get the chance to be the wulin leader elect. And all is well for everybody. Or, he could have turned wholly evil and plotted everyones downfall, killed the Guo's and other great fighters and helped the mongols to invade Song.

Evil Yeung Gor would have just been Yeung Hong II (but with much better martial arts). Been there, done that.

Being torn between good and evil, and finally choosing good after enduring much hardship, is what defined Yeung Gor's character and made him unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Feng
    I sort of had a thought about what if YG turned to the darkside in ROCH. It would have been a lot more interesting and YG would have been a lot cooler and I would have liked him better.

Think about it for a second, YG's been through a heck of a lot of trauma that could have turned him into psychopath mode. We all know he didn't but what if, for a change he did.

I started thinking of the possibilities of a darker, more sinister, more devious YG and came up with a few scenarios. With his intelligence and array of talents, he could have saved himself and a whole lot of other ppl from a lot of hurt and trouble IF he wasn't so stubborn, hard headed, sensitive and emotional. A couple of times he could have and should have swallowed his pride, hidden his emotions, be a bit patient and used a more cerebral approach.

For example, right after he met up with the Guo couple, ideally after finding out who they were he should have just used Guo Jing's emotions to his advantage. For all of his intelligence, he would have identified GJ, HR, GF and the Wu's brothers character and found out their weaknesses. Knowing HR's smarts, try to stay away from her whenever possible and be the goody 2 shoes when she's around. That way, not only will HR's suspicion of him gradually dissapear, she might just feel sorry for the kid and take him under her wings. Theres no doubt if there wasn't so much trouble at the island, GJ would have allowed YG to be there and treated him like a son. Then there are those incidents with GF and the stupid Wu brothers. YG's problem with ppl is, everytime he meets someone who is not particularly nice to him, he immediately dislikes them and shows his dislike very obviously. And this just makes it worse because he gets picked on even more. And then all his nerves gets ticked off and he goes mental on them, causing trouble. Then he takes the heat because as usual, he'd be the stubborn old goat. If he had wanted to get even, he could have just used his cunning and come up with nasty ideas that will get the 3 brainless morons in trouble with the Guo's and he himself appearing like the victimised little angel. Or he could have acted like a nice little chap and got all friendly with them. Easy pickings for his sort of intelligence. He could have easily had GF around his pinky and the Wu bros would have been licking his toes. he would have been the heir apparent to GJ and the Guo's would have taught him everything they know. By 20, he would be a very very formidable fighter and would be in the running to be the next Beggar Clan leader. Later on, he might even get the chance to be the wulin leader elect. And all is well for everybody. Or, he could have turned wholly evil and plotted everyones downfall, killed the Guo's and other great fighters and helped the mongols to invade Song.
    This does not sound like an evil Yang Guo (except for the last sentence). This just sound like a smart and level-headed Yang Guo.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    This does not sound like an evil Yang Guo (except for the last sentence). This just sound like a smart and level-headed Yang Guo.
    It sound like an average kid to me, or like my little brother and sister .

Everybody has that darker side. He didn't have to be evil in an evil sense just a bit more devious and sinister. I mean the guy hated a lot of ppl early on, he could have dealt with them in a much more "cooler"/nasty way but instead he always got into hot soup himself.

Anyway, Yang Kang just didn't do it as a bad guy. I mean what did he ever accomplish. Yang Guo on the other hand, I thought really had the potential to be a really really formidable villain, someone with the scheming capabilities of Cheng Kun or at least a really smooth operator who looked out only for himself like Quan Guan Qing (only a zillion times better).

Quote Originally Posted by TaiHan
    It sound like an average kid to me, or like my little brother and sister .
    Rats, I think I made a bit of a hash of trying to convey my idea.

Emm, what I mean is not the HR type mischief, the sort of little bro/sis scheming thingie. More like, how should I say....the appears to be a good guy but actually not type. really shady, stealthy character. More of a Gu Long villain type.

Ah crap, I don't even understnd myself.

I find Evil Xu Zhu much more appealing to the plot.

....the appears to be a good guy but actually not type.
    You mean like YBQ kind of guy?

Agree with Ken on YG being the 2nd YK but with a much better gongfu. He certainly had chances to help Mongolians to invade Song when he was in Khubilai Khan's camp.

OT here, but in HSDS 1st edition, the younger ZWJ was not so innocent. When YSS committed suicide, before she died she told ZWJ to look around at all the Wulin people who were present in Wudang, saying that they forced his father and mother to death. That young ZWJ had murderous look on his eyes. While this was removed in HSDS 2nd edition, making the younger ZWJ a better boy, what would happen if Jin Yong is to developed an evil version of ZWJ, based on the not-so-innocent boy in the HSDS 1st edition? When he gained power over Ming Clan, he could secretly hunt every single one of those Wulin people. He would make a dangerous competitor to CK in controlling the Wulin world.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    I find Evil Xu Zhu much more appealing to the plot.
    Nah, Xu Zhu hasn't got the smarts to be a huge threat.

Quote Originally Posted by rabadi
    You mean like YBQ kind of guy?

Agree with Ken on YG being the 2nd YK but with a much better gongfu. He certainly had chances to help Mongolians to invade Song when he was in Khubilai Khan's camp.

OT here, but in HSDS 1st edition, the younger ZWJ was not so innocent. When YSS committed suicide, before she died she told ZWJ to look around at all the Wulin people who were present in Wudang, saying that they forced his father and mother to death. That young ZWJ had murderous look on his eyes. While this was removed in HSDS 2nd edition, making the younger ZWJ a better boy, what would happen if Jin Yong is to developed an evil version of ZWJ, based on the not-so-innocent boy in the HSDS 1st edition? When he gained power over Ming Clan, he could secretly hunt every single one of those Wulin people. He would make a dangerous competitor to CK in controlling the Wulin world.
    Evil CMK would have been delicious much in the same way as the evil YG I had in mind. Well, formidable credible villains have to be great schemers, knows how to fly under everyones radar, doesn't appear evil, looks like a do gooder, has great influence, highly skilled and be in a position of power. Plus he needs to have a driving force, either vengeance or greed etc. Which is why evil YG would be nice cos he could have been all goody in front of everyone else and get himself into a good position to get his revenge and all

You guys ever watch the classic STAR TREK episode "Mirror Mirror" where Captain Kirk and several others get sent to a mirror universe where the Enterprise crew is evil? I'm kind of thinking along those lines.

Of course, it wouldn't be wu*xia* fiction anymore. It'd be about martial-arts empowered scoundrels.

think it would be interesting to have a YG evil twin instead
    TaZzY InC

For example, right after he met up with the Guo couple, ideally after finding out who they were he should have just used Guo Jing's emotions to his advantage. For all of his intelligence, he would have identified GJ, HR, GF and the Wu's brothers character and found out their weaknesses. Knowing HR's smarts, try to stay away from her whenever possible and be the goody 2 shoes when she's around. That way, not only will HR's suspicion of him gradually dissapear, she might just feel sorry for the kid and take him under her wings.
    I don't think HR's going to fall for it that easily.

Besides, if he turned out evil, it would be sad that HR gets to say 'I knew it', proving her belief that because the father is bad, the son is bad as well is true.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 10-14-04 at 09:42 AM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

coming from her daugther it must be true
    TaZzY InC

Rats, I think I made a bit of a hash of trying to convey my idea.

Emm, what I mean is not the HR type mischief, the sort of little bro/sis scheming thingie. More like, how should I say....the appears to be a good guy but actually not type. really shady, stealthy character. More of a Gu Long villain type.

Ah crap, I don't even understnd myself.
    I get now from reading other people's post. like rabadi said, he would be come like a YBQ. acting nice on the outside, but evil on the inside.

This week we got a lot of cool topic !!!

That would have completely ruined ROCH and YG's appeal. The appeal of YG, who belong is the "kuang" group of "xia," is that although he has the heart of a hero, he doesn't buy into the generic BS about being good and crap (the "yu xia"), but he still does the right thing. Although YG was mischievous in his youth, you could tell he was still the kind who would fight the bully and protect the weak, one of the very essence of being a xia. A great man who doesn't always play by the "rules" appeal to people who are sick of the situationally inappropriate (yu fu, I can't think of a better translation) "rules." YG is the kind of hero that makes us go "yeah!" If he was evil, he'd just be a baddy. Who cares.

The one "hero" who would have been improved if evil would be that marshmellow pushover Zhang Wuji.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    That would have completely ruined ROCH and YG's appeal. The appeal of YG, who belong is the "kuang" group of "xia," is that although he has the heart of a hero, he doesn't buy into the generic BS about being good and crap (the "yu xia"), but he still does the right thing. Although YG was mischievous in his youth, you could tell he was still the kind who would fight the bully and protect the weak, one of the very essence of being a xia. A great man who doesn't always play by the "rules" appeal to people who are sick of the situationally inappropriate (yu fu, I can't think of a better translation) "rules." YG is the kind of hero that makes us go "yeah!" If he was evil, he'd just be a baddy. Who cares.

The one "hero" who would have been improved if evil would be that marshmellow pushover Zhang Wuji.
    I think it's a matter of different strokes for different folks, as well as different circumstances. What made Cheung Mo Gei a hero for his age was that he had the right kind of personality for smoothing over the conflicts that raged in the martial world at the time. Cheung Mo Gei's presence in the martial world fixed *many* problems in the Ming Cult and with the Six Orthodox Sects. Yeung Gor probably wouldn't have been able to do that because he didn't have the inclination or personality for it. Yeung Gor might not have been less a hero than Cheung Mo Gei, but Yeung Gor was the kind of person who tended to start or get into the middle of conflicts, not resolve them.

It was possible for ZWJ to do that, because, his level of martial arts was just outclass all the members of wulin which YG couldn't possibly achieve at that time .
    Last edited by ToOn99; 10-14-04 at 05:56 PM.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Evil Yeung Gor would have just been Yeung Hong II (but with much better martial arts). Been there, done that.

Being torn between good and evil, and finally choosing good after enduring much hardship, is what defined Yeung Gor's character and made him unique.
    What you had said could possibly turn in to a topic. In my opinion: There are heros on both sides.