Thread: College Football

Default College Football

Does anyone here watch it? Well I just wanted to get this out and say, damn what a good game my Tarheels played. Did anyone else watch this game? I'm glad UCN ended Miami's 10-game winning streak. Wow what an upset, and a great game too. Well anyways, GO UNC!!!

I hope this is a good sign for what's to come. We've always been good at basketball, but I hope this is the spark for the rest of the football season

I guess college football is just a southern thing than. Oh well...

sorry was away for a bit

I am a big fan of College Football. I have lots of favorite team and this year is going to be Utah Utes (they are also my favorite Basketball team too comes march )

I am also a big fan of Neb. Huskers, ND Fighting Irish but both team have fail my
    expectation the last few years.

USC and Okla... looks scary and so I think they will play the big bowl games this year.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

I like the Michigan Wolverine.

The best RB is Reggie Bush of USC, and "Cadillac" Williams of Auburn.

Okay, is it just me in here, but the BCS is like really pissing me off. Utah is undefeated and is ranked number 6. It's just retarded. I'm not a fan of Utah, but I think that it's not fair at all. I know the BCS is meant to make everyone happy, especially I'm a TarHeel fan and I'm going to the bowl game at the end of this month. But I mean teams that work hard for their record and are undefeated and don't have a shot at the championship. It's just stupid. They should have a playoff system w/ the top ranked teams. Well that's just my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian0032
    Okay, is it just me in here, but the BCS is like really pissing me off. Utah is undefeated and is ranked number 6. It's just retarded. I'm not a fan of Utah, but I think that it's not fair at all. I know the BCS is meant to make everyone happy, especially I'm a TarHeel fan and I'm going to the bowl game at the end of this month. But I mean teams that work hard for their record and are undefeated and don't have a shot at the championship. It's just stupid. They should have a playoff system w/ the top ranked teams. Well that's just my thought.
    good old BCS, face it, without all the *****ing and whining, it'd be so boring around this time of the year. Utah is in a weak conference. and about the playoff system, remember what happened to Willis McGahee?
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

The BCS system is all screwed up. Like last year it should have been USC vs. LSU for the national championship. This year it is still screwed up.

1. USC vs 2. Oklahoma - Orange bowl
    3. Auburn vs 9. Virginia Tech - Sugar bowl
    6. Utah vs 20. Pittsburgh - Fiesta bowl
    5. Texas vs 12. Michigan - Rose bowl
    4. California vs 22. Texas Tech - Holiday bowl

I'm cool with the USC vs Oklahoma. But how can Pittsburgh who is ranked 20 get to play for the Fiesta bowl. Thats just stupid. Even California got screwed in the BCS system. I agree with you Brian they should go to the playoff system.

How exactly would a playoff be different? Think about it. Instead of a public and transparent system to match up the top 2 teams, it would be a secret committee that picks the top 8 or 16 teams with some formula that they don't have to explain to anyone. If there's so much debate over whose number 2, imagine how many teams think they have a case for being number 8 or 16?

Also, let's compare how the College Football Regular Season is similiar to the NCAA Basketball Tournament. UConn did not beat Kentucky in the NCAA tournament, because Kentucky could not win its own Regional. Several years ago, a 15-loss Wisconsin team made the Final Four because they somehow made a run through their regionals because several top teams were upset before they met Wiscsonsin. How's that different from a bad Pitt team qualifying for the BCS bowls by winning the weak Big East?
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

I think the hardest thing people see is the difficulties in the schedule of the teams they have to faced. I mean Utah is undefeated but they don't have to go thru many top teams to get there. While there are some teams that had to fight thru a really tough schedule that is why they are rank higher.

Another thing I read somewhere people suggest to have playoff imagine how many leagues are out there it would take just as long as a season to run the playoff and is not feasible to do it since Football really require a week rest after each game not like other sports just a couple of days rest.
    Flame on I am gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    Several years ago, a 15-loss Wisconsin team made the Final Four because they somehow made a run through their regionals because several top teams were upset before they met Wiscsonsin. How's that different from a bad Pitt team qualifying for the BCS bowls by winning the weak Big East?
    I think the argument is that those top teams that lost and didn't meet Wisconsin on its way to final four at least at a chance, but they just blew it.

I think the best format for college football is to have something like european soccer. top teams stay in top conference and only play within the conference and those with bad records get relegated to the next level. the team with the best record at the top flight is the national champ. but then, we know it's all about the money. there's no getting rid of the bowls.
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

Quote Originally Posted by dan J
    I think the argument is that those top teams that lost and didn't meet Wisconsin on its way to final four at least at a chance, but they just blew it.

I think the best format for college football is to have something like european soccer. top teams stay in top conference and only play within the conference and those with bad records get relegated to the next level. the team with the best record at the top flight is the national champ. but then, we know it's all about the money. there's no getting rid of the bowls.
    Speaking of bowls, is anyone in here actually going to one?

Same for other, better teams in other conferences. Miami, Florida State, and Cal could have made it to the BCS, but they just blew it. If you think of the Conferences like Regionals in the NCAA tournament, there's alot of similarities.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Same for other, better teams in other conferences. Miami, Florida State, and Cal could have made it to the BCS, but they just blew it. If you think of the Conferences like Regionals in the NCAA tournament, there's alot of similarities.
    except the difference is that the conferences are mostly regular season while the regionals are post season.

except the difference is that the conferences are mostly regular season while the regionals are post season.
    "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

You are going to let a name get in the way of it all? There is no regular season, per se, in college football because the whole season is a double elmination post season with alot of teams going to an extra consolation game.

Question, if instead of a public BCS system, college football used a secret, private "selection committee" to pick the top 2 teams, do you think the writers will still whine? Because that's how they do it for college basketball, only they don't tell anybody how they pick the at large teams. That's the only real flaw with the BCS, it's publically known how it works. Maybe they should just go with a "selection committee" instead.

Do you even know who the selection committee in college basketball consist of? Because I have no clue. And hey, they have their own undecipherable numbers system as well, the RPI.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

You are going to let a name get in the way of it all? There is no regular season, per se, in college football because the whole season is a double elmination post season with alot of teams going to an extra consolation game.
    I'd have said that College football has no post season, just the regular season. funny that I have absolutely no problem with BCS, yet I'm still arguing. in fact, i can't imagine how boring it would be if I turn on espn around this time of the year, and nobody's *****ing about how dysfunctional the BCS really is.

Question, if instead of a public BCS system, college football used a secret, private "selection committee" to pick the top 2 teams, do you think the writers will still whine? Because that's how they do it for college basketball, only they don't tell anybody how they pick the at large teams. That's the only real flaw with the BCS, it's publically known how it works. Maybe they should just go with a "selection committee" instead.
    technically, we only know how 2/3 of the BCS works. I certainly don't know what the computers do in the other third.

Do you even know who the selection committee in college basketball consist of? Because I have no clue. And hey, they have their own undecipherable numbers system as well, the RPI.
    I think the logic to justify a good undecipherable numbers system goes something like if 65 teams are involved, nobody really cares about the 66th that gets left out. but when it's 2 teams, then everyone and their mother will let you know how they think the 3rd got screwed.

I'd have said that College football has no post season, just the regular season. funny that I have absolutely no problem with BCS, yet I'm still arguing. in fact, i can't imagine how boring it would be if I turn on espn around this time of the year, and nobody's *****ing about how dysfunctional the BCS really is.
    You don't find it tiring to hear the same stupid arguments regurgitated every year?

Some of the pundits are so stupid that it's laughable. I saw a columnist from the NY Post (I should have known right then and there he doesn't know anything) talking about how stupid the BCS is and that he would be running a simulated 16 team playoff in whatifsports.com to determine the real national champion and "take the C out of BCS". But then the TV hosts ask him to predict the final champion, the columnist then says that he expects USC to beat Oklahoma in the Championship Game! Basically validating the BCS! If USC is going to play Oklahoma anyways, why bother with the extra 7 games?

technically, we only know how 2/3 of the BCS works. I certainly don't know what the computers do in the other third.
    Some rankings actually make their formula public. Sagarin comes to mind.

I think the logic to justify a good undecipherable numbers system goes something like if 65 teams are involved, nobody really cares about the 66th that gets left out. but when it's 2 teams, then everyone and their mother will let you know how they think the 3rd got screwed.
    The ironic thing is, the thing that's messed up about the BCS is not the computers, or the college presidents, or the bowls. It's the polls! The writers who criticize the BCS to no ends are the same ones who create the problem to begin with. If all these guys are yelling injustice at how Auburn's left out, how come so little of them actually have Auburn ranked in the top 2? And don't get me started on the Coaches' poll, talk about conflict of interest (if any of the coaches actually paid any interest to the vote at all).
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Did you see the Orange Bowl game. USC crushed Oklahoma 55-19. Next season USC will still be ranked #1.

Sooner had no defense what so ever... Trojans just dominate... offense and defense... and turnover killed Sooners

I expect this to be a close game but it wasn't even close.

I would rather see USC vs Utah.. it would be cool to see an top dog vs an underdog...
    Flame on I am gone...

Quote Originally Posted by SKYLINE GT-R 32
    Did you see the Orange Bowl game. USC crushed Oklahoma 55-19. Next season USC will still be ranked #1.
    Well Usc has been ranked #1 this whole season already..