Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: New Series:Moment in Peking-ZhaoWei, Pan YueMing, Pan Hong...

Hmm, I doubt she would've cried if it wasn't in the script or the director would've said something. From the lines, I don't really think Vicki or Ruby could've done that much to save their ridiculous characters in HZGG II. They were both cute in HZGG I, but disaster struck in II--that's why you don't get greedy and try to milk too much money. Though that's just me--tons of people loved them both in HZGG II. (and this is so off-topic)

what the heck with comparing mulan w/ zi wei? seriously..... *bangs the person for starting the comparison*

anyways, i didn't hate zi wei, nor mulan.

so back to mulan, why did they change the script so much for the series?

Back on topic now

I think the series was not directed that well...overall the timing could've used some work. Like I think the acting was memorable, but besides Zhao Wei taking on a completely new role, everyone was kind of typecast. The girl who played Niu Suyun suits her role very well, although the actress tends to get typecasted into those roles. And then there's Pan Hong again with her mother-in-law...and then the guy who played Yiping's dad back in QSSYMM...

Now to mention the timing again, the beginning dragged out a little too much...like the Ping Ya incident I always found rather pointless. But it takes up about 3 episodes. Meanwhile, the Cao Lihua affair was dragged out, but the part where she died and Sunya's feelings about it was way too short. It seemed like Sunya just changed overnight. Finally, I wish they'd concentrated more on the historical aspect of it. Like the last few episodes with the Japanese and Niu Huaiyu turning evil...now that was memorable. Lin Yutang's original novel was very serious, and I'm not saying Moment in Peking was funny, but it just seemed overall too...hyperactive.

Okay so that's a lot of criticism about the series...but overall I thought it was worth watching. Not a great adaptation from the book, but a good series, not superb. Like 3.5-4 stars.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Senior Member invisible_dolphinbay's Avatar

i agree about the timing incident. boring scenes dragged too much and when things were about to get interesting, it was gone. i personaly think that they should have added a few more touching mulan sun ya scenes. i think the only real sweet scene they had was after mulan was going around to get li fu out of jail and sun ya asked her would she do that if he was in jail and she either answered "if you go to jail, i'll go to jail for you" or "i'll bring you food" i fogot. but that was their only genuine sweet scene (but then again, no one cares right? i seem to be the only sun ya fan)
    dolphin_bay

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

i think i can forgive mulan's idiotic action of keeping the marriage with sunya, i just cant understand when everyone around her was being all so modern, supporting her to divorce sunya (except the good and filial manni of course), this so called intelligent, great woman named Mulan takes a step back and says, i'll do everything to make this marriage work. how weird is that when she already has somebody she really loves who happened to be this supposedly scholar guy, a billion times better in treating her than her own husband?

arghh...nvm, from what i read of the comments here this series is a total crap anyways...perhaps if sunya wasnt as bratty as in the series then i might have liked him more than the boring kong lifu.....anyone wanna enlighten me on the book itself? what MOment In Peking is really about?
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Quote Originally Posted by invisible_dolphinbay
    i think the only real sweet scene they had was after mulan was going around to get li fu out of jail and sun ya asked her would she do that if he was in jail and she either answered "if you go to jail, i'll go to jail for you" or "i'll bring you food" i fogot. but that was their only genuine sweet scene (but then again, no one cares right? i seem to be the only sun ya fan)
    Haha "I'll bring you food" doesn't sound very sweet...for some reason that made me laugh

But it was, "I wouldn't just try to rescue you from jail...I would go to jail for you."

I don't think the series was crap at all...it was an interesting perspective...lots of history, and the story didn't suck either. There were just weak points. I don't know. I like to nitpick.

For anyone who wants to read the book in Chinese, there should be a version of the book on shuku. I compared a few chapters to the series and they were pretty different. Oh well, it's an ADAPTATION. I guess that's all they could do. Look at some of the adaptations we have here in Hollywood...
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Hu Ke isn't that typecasted. The only other series she has done where she's a bratty girl is "18 Springs" with Ruby Lin and Patrick Tam. She's tried other stuff before, like this historical series where she had a small role (forgot the name) and Liu San Bian, where she was all weak (but I like her better in bratty roles-she needs to work on the other types).

But Pan Hong and the actor who did Sun Ya's father are definitely typecasted--but that's typical w/ veteran actors. Wang Gang was also typecasted. Who else thinks that Chen Bao Guo did the best job here? He seems to be the only veteran who's still getting diverse roles.

I personally didn't find anything b/w Mulan and Sun Ya touching the slightest bit--they made the worst couple ever. Mochou and Lifu similarly were extremely incompatible. Heck, even Mulan and Lifu were incompatible. I couldn't find one good pairing at all in this series--well I suppose Mulan's brother and his wife were ok.

Senior Member invisible_dolphinbay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    Hu Ke isn't that typecasted. The only other series she has done where she's a bratty girl is "18 Springs" with Ruby Lin and Patrick Tam. She's tried other stuff before, like this historical series where she had a small role (forgot the name) and Liu San Bian, where she was all weak (but I like her better in bratty roles-she needs to work on the other types).

But Pan Hong and the actor who did Sun Ya's father are definitely typecasted--but that's typical w/ veteran actors. Wang Gang was also typecasted. Who else thinks that Chen Bao Guo did the best job here? He seems to be the only veteran who's still getting diverse roles.

I personally didn't find anything b/w Mulan and Sun Ya touching the slightest bit--they made the worst couple ever. Mochou and Lifu similarly were extremely incompatible. Heck, even Mulan and Lifu were incompatible. I couldn't find one good pairing at all in this series--well I suppose Mulan's brother and his wife were ok.
    i agree about hu ke. i saw her in liao zhai zhi yi and she played two characters, one's loud and crude, the other is very weak and gentle

one think that i thought was weird about relationships was how everyone seemd to be with everyone at a certain point.

mulan- sun ya and li fu
    sun ya- mo chou, cao li hua and mu lan
    mo chou- sun ya, huai yu, li fu
    li fu- mulan, mo chou

its sad that even the "conservative" people have two

it kind of reminds me of this series called yi mi yang guang (a meter of sunlight) by peter ho, sun li, etc. the relationships were equally messed up. it wasl ike

yi chuan xia- liang xiu (the old guy), xiao wu (peter ho)
    xiao wu- yi chuan xia, yi ai yuan
    Yi ai yuan- xiao wu, ah lun (ying xiao tian)
    ah lun- yi ai yuan, ah xia li
    ah xia li- xiao wu, ah lun
    etc etc. it drives my mind crazy and in both dramas, it gets awkard when you see "the group" together cause almost eveyrone has "memories" with each ohter.

like the time when mo chou went to be a nun and sun ya was like to mulan "i should go and see her. anyways, the days when we were together were the happiest days of my life. she was my first love" or something like that. the way he said it made it look like mulan was only a friend and not his wife and mulan didn't have the slighest reaction. (overly mature?) wierd.
    Last edited by invisible_dolphinbay; 09-26-06 at 10:04 PM.
    dolphin_bay

LOL I remember that show!!! I remember getting annoyed with the pairing as well. You know what it all resembles? American soap operas--where you have to get the chicken soup mix stirring so that EVERY single type of impossible pairing is made possible. If there's 4 main charactes, you can bet that they're all gonna end up with each other sooner or later in some shape or form (so very unrealistic *rolls eyes*).

Default Viet Title

Been awhile, can anyone give me the viet title to this series?

Quote Originally Posted by zhashi View Post
    Been awhile, can anyone give me the viet title to this series?
    The viet title is Suong Khoi Chon Kinh Thanh.
    After so much waiting I finally get to see this series. I really like it so far.
    "I really feel that optimism and openness are sweets that God gives to you. Even though one day you will finish eating them, but at least you'll know what sweet tastes like." Vicki Zhao

this movie is long but quite interesting

i liked vicki in moment in peking. although she thinks she wasnt like yao mulan at all, i thought she did a really good job. her hair looks good in all the pictures. luv her

i really hate the husband , vicky was very nice though

This series reminds me of another series called "Huan Zi Cheng Long" with Hawick Lau and Ma Ya Shu (Nicky Wu's wife). Ma plays a wife exactly like Vicki does in this series, very kind, caring and intelligent, also tries very hard to try and keep her marriage (to Hawick's character) going.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

I watched this series waaaaaaaaay back in the 80s and if I'm not mistaken, didn't Vicki's daughter die? I recall her growing up and joining in a rebellion against the Japanese or something and getting shot...or am I mistaken?

Anyway, I liked this series enough...I'll give it a 7 out of 10. Vicki's character was much too perfect and "holier than thou" but she carried her character well. I've never seen her in such a soft, demure character before. Overall, the series was pretty sad...no one married whom they wanted to marry and it seemed like having a dream is pointless because nothing good will come out of it. It's a decent series but downright depressing at times.

I gotta wonder why this novel doesn't go all the way past 1950, and just cover everything from the end of the Qing Dynasty to the defeat of the Nationalists and the official founding of the republic?

The START of the war with the Japanese just seems like a weird place to end it.

Regardless, the novel is acclaimed, so hopefully this will be a good series.

Zhao Wei in the lead role of a TV series is a rare find ... and the inclusion of Victor Huang and Chen Bao Guo gives it adequate star power ... even without one of the "five big" producers/directors at the helm.
    http://kibescorporation.blogspot.com/
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

Quote Originally Posted by foreva View Post
    I think Vicki's wrinkles come from her smoking and excessive partying. I dont know. I'm a big vicki fan, but I am quite disappointed in her.$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/s/m/2005-08-20/1124497011_F2aqMH.jpg') $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/s/m/2005-08-20/1124497011_G2aqMH.jpg')
    Vicki Zhao is a celebrity, not a perfect angel. Smoking, drinking and partying are considered normal for celebrities and ordinary people. She is not the first and won't be the last.