Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genghis Khan: were there warning signs for Gwok Jing?

Wasn't it because his grandson was killed by an arrow? The RL incident involved another community (Samarkand actually surrendered after the stories of the Mongol conquest of Bukhara reached them).

The most painful episode for Genghis Khan personally occurred during a battle in the valley of Bamiyan in Afghanistan. During the battle there, an arrow struck and killed young Mutugen, Genghis Khan's favorite grandson. Genghis Khan received word of the death before the boy's father, Chaghatai, was informed. Genghis Khan summoned his son, and before telling him what happened, ordered Chaghatai not to weep or mourn.

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World, Jack Weatherford

The next day Chagatai?s eldest son attempted to render meritorious
    merit; bravely he attacked the city wall, unfortunately an arrow was
    shot from the city wall, hit his head and he died. Genghis Khan loved
    this grandson, seeing him die in the battlefield his grief and anger was
    unspeakable. When the grandson?s personal guards brought his body over,
    Genghis Khan threw himself over the corpse with tears in his eyes,
    embracing his dead grandson. He pulled the arrow that killed him, only
    to see it was a wolf tooth arrow decorated with an eagle?s feather, the
    shaft was inlaid with gold, engraved with four characters, ?da jin zhao
    wang? [Prince Zhao Wang of the Great Jin]. The people around him who
    were literate read those words to him.

?Ah!? Genghis Khan angrily roared, ?It?s that scoundrel Wanyan Honglie!?
    Leaping to his horseback he issued a decree, ?All officers and soldiers,
    big and small, hear this: Anybody who is brave enough to break the
    city?s defense and capture Wanyan Honglie to avenge my grandson; the
    city?s women and children, jade and silk, everything is his.? A hundred
    riders immediately were dispatch everywhere to announce the Great Khan?s
    decree.

LOCH, chapter 37

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    The most painful episode for Genghis Khan personally occurred during a battle in the valley of Bamiyan in Afghanistan. During the battle there, an arrow struck and killed young Mutugen

The next day Chagatai?s eldest son attempted to render meritorious merit; bravely he attacked the city wall, unfortunately an arrow wasshot from the city wall, hit his head and he died. Genghis Khan loved this grandson, seeing him die in the battlefield his grief and anger was unspeakable. When the grandson?s personal guards brought his body over, Genghis Khan threw himself over the corpse with tears in his eyes, embracing his dead grandson. He pulled the arrow that killed him, only to see it was a wolf tooth arrow decorated with an eagle?s feather, the shaft was inlaid with gold, engraved with four characters, ?da jin zhao wang? [Prince Zhao Wang of the Great Jin]. The people around him who were literate read those words to him.
    If the death of his grandson brings him so much pain then why did he invade other countries that bring the same pain to countless million people? I hope he realises that he is the one that cause the death of his grandson. It is called KARMA. All the treasures that he gain from looting other countries won't bring his beloved grandson back. Not just people of other countries but his fellow Mongolians that killed in war as well. They would enjoy life by farming horses, goats and sheep.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    If the death of his grandson brings him so much pain then why did he invade other countries that bring the same pain to countless million people? I hope he realises that he is the one that cause the death of his grandson. It is called KARMA. All the treasures that he gain from looting other countries won't bring his beloved grandson back. Not just people of other countries but his fellow Mongolians that killed in war as well. They would enjoy life by farming horses, goats and sheep.
    I know you think that Genghis and by extension all mongol people were savage monsters, but they were not. They were human just like you and me, they were capable of depraved cruelty and selfless compassion, just like every other human being. Just because Genghis was a ruthless conqueror does not make him incapable of feeling the loss of someone dear to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    I know you think that Genghis and by extension all mongol people were savage monsters, but they were not. They were human just like you and me, they were capable of depraved cruelty and selfless compassion, just like every other human being. Just because Genghis was a ruthless conqueror does not make him incapable of feeling the loss of someone dear to him.
    Genghis and the mongol people are capable of feeling the loss of their loved ones. No doubt. However, they are not human like you and me. Do you know what they did to the people of Bamyan? They murdered them all including new born children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Bamyan_(1221)

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Genghis and the mongol people are capable of feeling the loss of their loved ones. No doubt. However, they are not human like you and me. Do you know what they did to the people of Bamyan? They murdered them all including new born children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Bamyan_(1221)
    The Japanese now known for their courtesy and restrained were capable of atrocities like the rape of Nanjing where the skewered babies and competed in beheading people:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanjing_Massacre
    So are the Japanese not human?

Germany now one of the leading countries in the EU was also the sight of the holocaust:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
    Are they also inhuman?

The United States, the self appointed defender of democracy and freedom massacred 90% of the Native Americans and made an entire race into slaves. Can you call them human?

My native Britain committed atrocities equal to those of the Mongol over 1/4 of the globe, am I not human?