Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils 2019 《天龍八部》

I'm just not a fan of the casting, the over the top CGI effect, the terrible slow motion choreography, or the cinematography. Nothing stand out. Everytime I tried to give it a chance, I get really turn off by some elements they added. (I rolled my eyes so hard during the Feng vs Murong fight. It's 2018 onward and this is the best they can do?)

Such a shame that with today's budget and resources, they still can't come close to the TVB golden '80s era.

I skimmed some episodes and came away cringeing. None of the actors fit their characters, and acting was bad. Fight choreography was terrible, lots of zooming around and random slow-mo which made no sense - there was just no sense of the kind of skills each character possessed. Also, what's with making the first episode basically a roll call of all the major characters? Why is Xu Zhu appearing so early when his story is in the second half of the novel? Why are Qiao Feng and Murong Fu already fighting so early on? What's with Duan Yu pissing in his pants upon seeing Wang Yuyan?? This version is so embarrassing.

The 1997 version with Felix Wong is still the classic and best adaptation.
    Last edited by junny; 08-24-21 at 05:43 PM.
    玉木宏

blog

OMG
    ep 35 :|

Why "OMG"? The story has been told over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by shangster View Post
    Why "OMG"? The story has been told over and over again.
    horrible editing

Quote Originally Posted by reydge View Post
    horrible editing
    Haha, true, a good thing it only happened on ep 35. Well other episodes are not too much.

Skip episodes to skim around and just realize that Rain Lau plays the mother of Azhi and A Zhu. That was a nice surprise. Maybe the only thing I can say about this series.

Skip episodes to skim around and just realize that Rain Lau plays the mother of Azhi and A Zhu. That was a nice surprise. Maybe the only thing I can say about this series.
    Vian zhang despite private life x icon fuel with RonNg FanBingBing, she was a surprised in 2013. Even Wallace as skinny XF.

Review Takeaway-don't adapt ans butcher classic. People can see through your laziness like michael bay transforers. It's about time.

Even with RayLui YuWG as director and stake investor this adaption is terrible. You can argue bad cgi in 2013 and use nostalgic epic music and liberty in changing key portion of the script. However, even JinYong wrote himself in to a corner. He initually wanted 8 unique characters, but end up with 3. He even took vacation and had a friend to help him wrote Ah Zi blind chapters. The friend later wrote A step in to the past if not mistaken.

Really cannot stand Xuzhu. He was in the new duke and mount deer. He got a way too cheeky over the top acting with a lot of impulse body language as well as that perv face. The guy from 2013 is a far surperior actor who also starred in 3 jinyong dramas. They should stop making milking demi god if each adaption is consider worst. Even though yuZheng plagirised others, his adaption manage to draw numbers and launch new actors to another level. Recent adaption can kill a career. Duke 2020, swordsman aka smiling proud wanderer 2018, and now demi god. A lot of the cast especially the girls are either too old or doesn't fit the roles. XF MRF seem like phoning in. DY is so forgettable. If the Roch 2021 tanks, it might end JY tv adaption for a while. Honestly, loch2017 and hsds2019 might be quite decent and unexpected hit for first. Pity because of it theyre making movies based on them specific arcs like recent Loch movies about HYS and speedrun of GJ hero story. Wong Jing and Louis koo made finale loose sequel to Jet Li Hsds of the 1990s pending for a release starring Raymond Lam and Donnie Yen.

Oh, forget to mention they're trying to go for realism with limited colorful cgi and that loch/hsds slow mo lighting tone. Might say TSTL both the child and adult actress is likable and they didn't butcher crippling scene. Still blame JinYong making whole Goddess statue, xiaoyao sect, DY XZ storyline very messy. 1997 tvb tries to streamline it in a good way kind of like what marvel does today to drive general audiences. Hate to say, the korean DY is better than this one. They're really trying push handsome mask YTZ. Out of all jinyong books, loch had the least bad adaptions aside from Idy Chan taiwan 1987. Even lost Michelle Yim 1970s was praised before Barbara Yung version becoming only original.

Been years so long since I've posted on here. While I'm still glad the China still produces classic wuxia adaptations, I sadly say their good days were from '00 - 06. I just don't this trend of cinematography or color palette they like to use. Doesn't feel "authentic" to me. Don't get me started on the unnecessary use of terrible CGI.

The 2014 version was down right trash.

Watching these recent adaptations of the classic Jin Yong novels make me appreciate just how awesome the 1997 and 2003 versions were.
    00-06 seems way too bloody and gory especially link city and smiling proud wanderer for modern audience taste. Too fast pace. No epic music. However, the real scenario mountain landscape sell it. 2013 wasn't that bad. Costumes aren't flattering despite having budget. XF, XZ, ZL, and a lot of the supporting cast did well. The monks are pretty good as well. Here, XZ's father feel too young to be two gen older. Always felt Abbot was in his 40s when he impregnate the second evil. Ray Lui did sold his part. Unlike tvb versions, mainland focus on making XF extremely young beggar leader a bit wishy washy in recent years. Overall, DGSD was never a great set of books compare to JY others. Great Martial art epic battle, brotherhood, betrayals, but way too many characters to be justify/balance. He wrote himself to a corner even tvb changed the ending in 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleopatra95 View Post
    So far I think it is quite watchable and follow the original story largely although the acting and wuxia elements are so-so. People are quite mad because of some unnecessary stupid thing they added especially to Duanyu line. but still better than 2013 although comparing to recent tv drama standards I don't think any breakout stars or performances will come out such as what happen to Legend of Condor Heroes 2017 and Heavenly Sword Dragon Sabre 2019.

In short as of now I think from my perspective of best to worst:
    1. 2003 tied up with 1997
    2. 2021
    3. 2013
    Might be a smaal fraction. Don't remember 2013 was hated that much because the acting of most were genuinely decent. Better than swordman and roch of Yuzheng. But worst than recent loch and hsds.
    Might be nostalgia or eye candy hsds95 and 03 are still highly regarded by many as their first unlike people here who mostly seen 1986 tony leung. Funny, the trio from hsds was cast in hsds 13 as guests of carefree elder. Despite many changes conducted. Can argue they humanize character in higher degree of details reflect how their pov would be in dangerous conflicts. Unlike singapore adaptions, which no one care bring up anymore for bashing even. Forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by kmoley View Post
    Haha, true, a good thing it only happened on ep 35. Well other episodes are not too much.
    Finally, caught up skimming today eps. XYS feel like MRB here. Abbot and his mistress of affair are way too young. The second evil should be around her early 40s and abbot should be around his eqrly 60s. The way they cut the episode took out the shock factor such as how they reveal the mask duo identity. It's wrong to seperate the gang to fight in faraway locations. The intro/reunion of both fathers doesn't seem that impactful. MRF was about to commit suixide because of shame, but the actor did not display those emotions and quickly turn around. Can't really help, but previous adaption got epic music and energy that isn't displayed here. The brotherhood is weak as well. The current XF is quite dull. Don't understand why they chose to cover up the main actress Janice Man. Did anyone realized they took out the abbot sneak attack against MRF to lure out MRB. XYS doesn't even looked mad the entire time facing both his enemies from the abbot to MRB. He's too cunning looking to be trustworthy as a revengeful mad XYS.

Mainland China needs to give up JY or wuxia adaptations in general. Either do it correctly, or don't do it at all. You got to ask yourself "why do wuxia in the golden 80's and 90's work, but these modern series do not?"

I don't live in China so I don't know. Do they even have an audience for these modern style of wuxia? Can't imagine studio keep wasting investors money to produce something the audience reject.

As for 2013 version, I did NOT like Wallace Chung as Xiao Feng at all, but at least he tried. This actor is so dull it looks like he doesn't even make any effort. Also, no casting was ever as bad and cringy as the Korean DY in 2013. The way he acted is like he's a cartoon character.
    Thatt may be the worse casting in a JY adaptation I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by aniking_8 View Post
    00-06 seems way too bloody and gory especially link city and smiling proud wanderer for modern audience taste. Too fast pace. No epic music. However, the real scenario mountain landscape sell it.
    The beautiful setting and landscape made it feels authentic in some way. Like if I were to go on an epic wuxia journey, I would imagine it be like Legend of the Condor Hero '03. But you know, TVB (both the 80's and 90's) were able to successfully make their production feel very connecting, personal, and genuine.

Obviously, it can be done the right way (in more ways than one), just that modern series went the complete opposite.

Maybe I'm ranting, but I really despite modern series - every single one of them from the 2012 Swordsman and onward.

The beautiful setting and landscape made it feels authentic in some way. Like if I were to go on an epic wuxia journey, I would imagine it be like Legend of the Condor Hero '03. But you know, TVB (both the 80's and 90's) were able to successfully make their production feel very connecting, personal, and genuine.
    Obviously, it can be done the right way (in more ways than one), just that modern series went the complete opposite. Appreciate you're being true and polite here. Wallace chung doesn't look the part. He did tried hard like XZ actor in 2013. Both endure harsh filming in bulk heard Wallace scream too much, he felt like he went crazy. This XF feel like he doesn't care about anything. No brute emotion whatsoever. Just watched the abridged heavily chop down ending. Feel a lot of major scenes were cut from MRF DYQ and the DY sisters even YTZ/AZ scenes. After XF death, they went on on with DY. The ending feel like DY is forcing WYY to marry him. In her heart, she still love her cousin, then why don't she take care of him with his maid. Out of all characters, TSTL and Ah Zi and few supporting cast were alright. However, the age are all wrong from XZ parents to DY's father mistresses. How they cast famous busty influencer models for some and Rain lau in her 50s for another. Yes, they love casting original actress for mother/master role like kathy chow as MJ nun in HSDS2019. Honestly, surprised the Golden Lion and Monk from Roch2016 didn't play the monk here that lust after xiaolin 72 arts and 6MSJ. This is a major flop and kind of deserve the low ratings. If the heroes are unlikable and constantly get overshadow by supporting, then is bad. When skimming, prefer to watch supporting villains than the main trio. DGSD was not a particular good written novel by JY. Wonder how fans react during its run in the 1960s when he publish one chapter every few months now and then. It's like star war the prequel. Through time, people viewed it as a classic. However, it's filled with inconsitencies and lazy writing like sweeper monk ability to transform 2 major vengeance filled old men to become his pupils as well as XY carefree sect existence. He doesn't bother tie in Loch better consider he wrote it later. DGSD is a very action packed epic. Tvb with limited budget did whatever they can with epic music display strong brotherhood. 2013 did well changing the romantic lines with XF and Ah zhu. Also, the beggar sect madame. It humanize a lot of characters' motivations even MRF. The decision to get hsds03 to play carefree sect elder was clever. Pity, china tv axed it airing shortly after XZ appearance. It's better than YuZheng ripping off tvb in his two adaptions of rainbow color swordman and roch. All 3 actors in 2013 is flawed, but aside from korean idol, the other two trumps the two here. Even DY is is dislikable. XF seem phoned in. XZ busy flexing his abs and he looks too cocky in his mannerism to be a weak gullible and heroic humble monk. Oddly, both versions XZ plays a character cast in duke. However, HanDon got better acting range even in swordman as TBQ. Yelu's actor and Ray Lui seem to be director, investor, and play heavily in creative filmmaking, but it's a utter fail. WYY should not be Janice Man. 2013 WYY receive criticism for her looks, but more so here. Hate to say Crystal Liu teenage acting is better than Janice 30 years.

Maybe I'm ranting, but I really despite modern series - every single one of them from the 2012 Swordsman and onward.

Obviously, it can be done the right way (in more ways than one), just that modern series went the complete opposite.

Don't know what happened to my post, but got log out midway, but think my reply is posted. So far, the post 2010 ranking are
    Loch 17>hsds19>dgsd13>roch16>swordman13>Dgsd21=duke15>s wordman18. Might miss a few, but that's on top of my head. Skipped duke20, but know it existed. Roch21/22 doesn't look too good.

1. Does the general Chinese audience still watch these remakes?

2. How do studios justify these production (monetary-wise) if the general audience reject these remakes?

If you neither have enough money nor capability
    DO NOT MESS AROUND DGSD , USELESS
    YOU BUNCH OF F**KERS
    YOU DAMN IT

Quote Originally Posted by aniking_8 View Post
    Don't know what happened to my post, but got log out midway, but think my reply is posted. So far, the post 2010 ranking are
    Loch 17>hsds19>dgsd13>roch16>swordman13>Dgsd21=duke15>s wordman18. Might miss a few, but that's on top of my head. Skipped duke20, but know it existed. Roch21/22 doesn't look too good.
    you missed Ode To Gallantry 2017

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    you missed Ode To Gallantry 2017
    Honestly only LOCH and HSDS are good

Swordsman 2013 = RPG game with crappy CGI , bad musics,very artificial and ridiculous changes that make whole series crap
    DGSD 2014 = 3rd edition(being 3rd edition itself is a great sin), miscasting , bad CGI , bad musics and in the end crap
    TDAC 2014 = cheap with many unnecessary changes ,very very artificial and and and miscast for WXB in the end bad
    RoOCH 2014 =miscasting for XLN and some characters,crappy CGI,ridiculous changes,very artificial,bad musics in the end semi crap
    OTG 2017 = so many changes,some miscasting,some bad music , some bad CGI in the end average
    NSPW 2018 = total disaster,complete trash,a disrespectful and shameful adaptation , one of the worst JYU adaptation ever made
    TDAC 2020 = an absolute disappointing and editing mess , some bad casting , cheap
    DGSD 2021 =some miscast , unnecessary changes ,so many slow motions , an editing mess specially in second half ,cheap and low budget because of this,they deletes characters from sequences(like WYY suicide sequence or ignoring MWQ and ZL) ,the last 5 episodes are total crap.If there weren't for last 5 episodes the series was tolerable but at this time the series is a crap

I have some problem with LOCH or HSDS (F.E. in HSDS I don't like some changes or the fight against three du monks) but these two series are really really really good

Quote Originally Posted by reydge View Post
    Honestly only LOCH and HSDS are good

Swordsman 2013 = RPG game with crappy CGI , bad musics,very artificial and ridiculous changes that make whole series crap
    DGSD 2014 = 3rd edition(being 3rd edition itself is a great sin), miscasting , bad CGI , bad musics and in the end crap
    TDAC 2014 = cheap with many unnecessary changes ,very very artificial and and and miscast for WXB in the end bad
    RoOCH 2014 =miscasting for XLN and some characters,crappy CGI,ridiculous changes,very artificial,bad musics in the end semi crap
    OTG 2017 = so many changes,some miscasting,some bad music , some bad CGI in the end average
    NSPW 2018 = total disaster,complete trash,a disrespectful and shameful adaptation , one of the worst JYU adaptation ever made
    TDAC 2020 = an absolute disappointing and editing mess , some bad casting , cheap
    DGSD 2021 =some miscast , unnecessary changes ,so many slow motions , an editing mess specially in second half ,cheap and low budget because of this,they deletes characters from sequences(like WYY suicide sequence or ignoring MWQ and ZL) ,the last 5 episodes are total crap.If there weren't for last 5 episodes the series was tolerable but at this time the series is a crap

I have some problem with LOCH or HSDS (F.E. in HSDS I don't like some changes or the fight against three du monks) but these two series are really really really good
    I somewhat agree that only LOCH'17 and HSDS'19 have better quality out of the bunch after 2010s despite having their own flaws respectively. These two shared the same director after all and I think only from these two some actors/actresses got a breakout in their career line out of the JY adaptations after 2010s.

For others which I remember:

DGSD21 - miscast, bad acting from all main leads, embarassing add ons such as Duan Yu's piss, weird hats, trying too hard with underworld dark texture

DGSD13 - miscast, bad acting from some cast, bad execution overall, bad CGI

Swordsman'18 - total crap from every angles.

ROCH'14 - miscast, some bad execution

DOMD'20 - skipped after watched some clips of main character overacting badly