Thread: Plug for SHANG-CHI: LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS

Default Plug for SHANG-CHI: LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS

If you're a fan of wuxia (and of course you are, or why else would you be here?), then I highly recommend viewing the new Marvel film SHANG-CHI: LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS, either at a cinema if it is safe or on streaming video later in the year after the theatrical run is finished. The movie has enough wuxia elements to keep fans excited.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Its got Michelle & Tony, that alone is worth watching.

Too bad they are forced to speak heavily accented Mandarin. Didn't learn the lesson from CTHD.

Thanks to Zhang Real Man for inventing the undefeatable martial art.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

As an Asian-Asian, I felt the movie is a good step forward but keep feeling that it probably would resonate more with Asian-Americans.

Some random thoughts :

They should have used some Cantonese in the Macau scene. + point if one guy spoke it with a Malaysian accent and another with the HK/Macau accent.

The heavy usage of English within Ta-Lo kinda broke my immersion. Yeah I know... Hollywood.

The last song at the KTV... why why why did they not use 月亮代表我的心
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    The heavy usage of English within Ta-Lo kinda broke my immersion. Yeah I know... Hollywood.

Same reason: Hollywood. "Hotel California" is a much more identifiable song for English-speaking audiences and moreover, the movie had been building towards it from nearly the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Same reason: Hollywood. "Hotel California" is a much more identifiable song for English-speaking audiences and moreover, the movie had been building towards it from nearly the beginning.
    I know I know.. hollybloodywood.

But if they wanted to connect with the Asian audience and Chine$e market, that song would hit it out of the park while also promoting Chinese culture to the unwashe... I mean Western market.

I know I know.. hollybloodywood.

But if they wanted to connect with the Asian audience and Chine$e market, that song would hit it out of the park while also promoting Chinese culture to the unwashe... I mean Western market.
    Of the thousands and thousands of Western rock songs, they likely picked "Hotel California" for a reason: it's probably the one Western rock song that most people in the Far East would know.

As an Asian-Asian, I felt the movie is a good step forward but keep feeling that it probably would resonate more with Asian-Americans.

Some random thoughts :

They should have used some Cantonese in the Macau scene. + point if one guy spoke it with a Malaysian accent and another with the HK/Macau accent.

Hollywood is still pretty arrogant towards the Asian culture. They cast actors that THEY think are good looking Asians, never mind the Asian aesthetics. They use Asian cultural references that are known to THEM, never mind how unpopular or even stereotypical those are in actual Asia. They are aware but don't give a crap about the differences among the sub-Asian cultures. Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc are all the same to them.

However, sometimes they do get things right. Casting Tony Leung is one of those times. Tony Leung adds so much depth and nuances to a typical mindless Marvel flick. I really do have to applaud them this one time.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    Hollywood is still pretty arrogant towards the Asian culture. They cast actors that THEY think are good looking Asians, never mind the Asian aesthetics.
    Well, someone like Godfrey Gao = big YES from me... but if they choose the standard wuxia prettyboy from the last 20 years of mainland wuxia dramas....puke

I agree. It was awesome to see Asians penetrate mainstream Hollywood, but ultimately I thought this was a mediocre movie.

Agreed. But I guess we can be thankful overall it had more Chinese spoken than African languages in Black Panther.

Coz 99% of white audience wouldn't know it (though 200% of the Chinese+ population would).

Some random thoughts :

Hayley Westenra, New Zealand singer

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Her Chinese is better than Jon Bon Jovi's version.

In case you guys didnt know, Bon Jovi sang it too.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I agree. It was awesome to see Asians penetrate mainstream Hollywood, but ultimately I thought this was a mediocre movie.
    Yes, it was middling for me. It was different in the sense of having an Asian lead and more Asians in it but it still reeked of the old Hollywood Asian stereotypes for me. And then there is the story/action, I dont get the rave reviews on that count either.

Me thinks the rave reviews are judging it from the "Asians penetrating Hollywood" aspect (that aspect is 10/10) and not the movie on its own.

Yes, it was middling for me. It was different in the sense of having an Asian lead and more Asians in it but it still reeked of the old Hollywood Asian stereotypes for me. And then there is the story/action, I dont get the rave reviews on that count either.
    That’s because the origin of Shang Chi started off as a Yellow Peril stereotype (he’s the son of Fu Manchu). White men writing about Asian characters and cultures are never going to be accurate unless they have lived experiences in the culture.