Thread: Random/ unnecessary death

Default Random/ unnecessary death

I just finished rewatching 2000 DOMD with Ruby Lin and Dicky Chueng. The death of the Princess (Ruby Lin) at the end was so pointless and unnecessary. Have you guys spot any other random/unnecessary death in both books and adaptions?

In Road for the Heroes, they made you think that Lau Sau Ping had a solid plan when she approached Michael Tao. But all she did was said a few words, resisted his advance and killed herself. Her death was super random and completely unnecessary, really pointless.

Ah Zhu's death may not be random but unnecessary. XF's death too. He could just leave everything and stay in a monastery.
    Last edited by wkeej; 06-22-13 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Ah Zhu's death may not be random but unnecessary. XF's death too. He could just leave everything and stay in a monastery.
    If neither Ah Chu nor Kiu Fung died, the whole tragic aspect of DGSD would have been severely compromised. Both characters needed to die to give the story its intense emotional poignancy.

Jin Yong wasn't brave enough to pull the trigger for ROCH, but I'm glad he'd grown a pair when it came time to write DGSD.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    In Road for the Heroes, they made you think that Lau Sau Ping had a solid plan when she approached Michael Tao. But all she did was said a few words, resisted his advance and killed herself. Her death was super random and completely unnecessary, really pointless.
    Poor Lau Sau Ping always dies in her wuxia roles, although not always for no reason. Which makes me really glad that she ended up with Francis Ng in 大地飞鹰, even if she only got to act in the second half of the serial. She was beautiful, classy and had a really sweet voice, but for some reason never really made it. Maybe she wasn't tall enough..

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Poor Lau Sau Ping always dies in her wuxia roles, although not always for no reason. Which makes me really glad that she ended up with Francis Ng in 大地飞鹰, even if she only got to act in the second half of the serial. She was beautiful, classy and had a really sweet voice, but for some reason never really made it. Maybe she wasn't tall enough..
    I think she also didn't die in Mystery of the Twin Swords, or did she?

Another unnecessary death, I think, is Sandra Ng's character in The Two Most Honorable Knights.

She survived that, but her role was pretty redundant there. The character had no real attraction at all. She had to share her man too, if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 06-23-13 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    If neither Ah Chu nor Kiu Fung died, the whole tragic aspect of DGSD would have been severely compromised. Both characters needed to die to give the story its intense emotional poignancy.

Jin Yong wasn't brave enough to pull the trigger for ROCH, but I'm glad he'd grown a pair when it came time to write DGSD.
    In the JY novels I've read, every death served a plot, thematic or character point. Sometimes they were hilariously obviously set up for that purpose, such as that mouthy guy who was murdered by Emei to make Emei seem a threat and to showcase the obviously overwhelming superiority of Ming Jiao. HSDS had a lot of these badly written deaths towards the end.

You Tanzhi's father and uncle committed suicide b/c Qiao Feng knocked the weapon out of their hands (apparently their master said "You live and die with your weapon." - I think they took it a little literally).

Fast Sabre Qi Liu's death seems like a comic relief, but it also showed the Shaolin monks' stupidity in saying it was all Qiao Feng's fault.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I always find it weird that Shaolin monks are supposed to believe that life and death are inevitable and neutral courses of actions that must happen to everyone, but even the most enlightened monks are always super sad and upset when people die. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I always find it weird that Shaolin monks are supposed to believe that life and death are inevitable and neutral courses of actions that must happen to everyone, but even the most enlightened monks are always super sad and upset when people die. What gives?
    Because in reality, you come off as a bit of a jerk if you are completely uncaring when someone dies =)

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    Because in reality, you come off as a bit of a jerk if you are completely uncaring when someone dies =)
    Reminds me of people/aliens/cosmic beings that are supposed to be just neutral and above morality, but everyone else in the universe thinks they're the biggest jerk ever.