Thread: Gong Nam 6 Freaks and young Gwok Jing: why stay in Mongolia?

Default Gong Nam 6 Freaks and young Gwok Jing: why stay in Mongolia?

After locating six-year old Gwok Jing in Mongolia, why did the Gong Nam 7 (soon to be 6) Freaks decide to stay and train the boy in Mongolia instead of back in the Central Plains? Returning to the Central Plains would have been more comfortable for all concerned (the Freaks, Gwok Jing, and his mother Lee Ping). It wasn't out of fear of Deun Teen Dak and the Sung military, was it? China, even then, was a big country. It's unlikely that Deun and his men would ever have found Lee Ping and Gwok Jing as long as they were discreet (and stayed out of the Lin-An area), and with the protection of the Freaks, it's unlikely that Deun and his men would pose much of a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Returning to the Central Plains would have been more comfortable for all concerned (the Freaks, Gwok Jing, and his mother Lee Ping).
    Why do you think so?
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Why do you think so?
    so they dont have to live in tents? lol dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Why do you think so?
    Most people are more comfortable in their native countries...where everybody speaks their language, follows familiar customs, eats familiar foods, etc. I don't think the Freaks and Lee Ping hung out in Mongolia because they dug the nomadic lifestyle. None of them were raised with it. Gwok Jing was different because he was born into it, but even he learned from a young age to identify himself with Han civilization, not Mongolian civilization.

Maybe. However, they were very well provided for by Genghis Khan. Going back to China would be a struggle for them to get by.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Not only were they very well provided for, but the Guo family had all but 'settled down' there. Why would they want to move?
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Not only were they very well provided for, but the Guo family had all but 'settled down' there. Why would they want to move?
    I think Lee Ping yearned for Lin-An, although with her husband dead and her friends missing, there wasn't much there for her anymore.

Gwok Jing didn't know the place, but sooner or later, he was going to have to go back to his homeland, so one wonders why the Freaks didn't just get that out of the way sooner. They certainly couldn't have been more comfortable on the Mongolian steppes than in Gong Nam. It would have been especially hard on guys like Chu Chung (a scholar) and Cheun Gum Fat (a city merchant), as their civil skills were of no value in Mongolia.

Hon Bo Kui probably liked it. For a horseman like himself, Mongolia was probably a paradise.

Even before they start teaching Guo Jing martial arts, they had to make sure the Guo family was settled down - this was part of Qiu Chuji's wager. The Guo family was settled even before they found Guo Jing, so moving the family again, from their current position of comfort, would have been counter to the terms of the wager. Their primary aim was to make sure that Guo Xiaotian's wife and child were well - their secondary aim was to teach Guo Jing so he could beat Yang Kang in a martial arts contest.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Even before they start teaching Guo Jing martial arts, they had to make sure the Guo family was settled down - this was part of Qiu Chuji's wager. The Guo family was settled even before they found Guo Jing, so moving the family again, from their current position of comfort, would have been counter to the terms of the wager. Their primary aim was to make sure that Guo Xiaotian's wife and child were well - their secondary aim was to teach Guo Jing so he could beat Yang Kang in a martial arts contest.
    I'm guessing that this is the same reasoning that led to Yau Chui Gei, against his better judgment, allowing Yeung Hong to be raised in the Jin palace as the adopted son of the sixth prince of the Jin Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I'm guessing that this is the same reasoning that led to Yau Chui Gei, against his better judgment, allowing Yeung Hong to be raised in the Jin palace as the adopted son of the sixth prince of the Jin Empire.
    Yup. The family were settled, so QCJ decided to let him grow up and get the duel over with before moving them out.

Perhaps it is just Jin Yong's way of providing more contrast between Gwok Jing and Yeung Hong because they were both raised by foreign countries (Jin and Mongolian people), however, out of the two, GJ chose to stay patriotic and loyal to his own country than the one that raised him.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.