Thread: Words you see on SPCNET forums all the time, but never hear in real life

Default Words you see on SPCNET forums all the time, but never hear in real life

Here are some "normal" words from the English dictionary I see used here frequently, but have honestly never heard anyone use in real life:

epitome
    pinnacle

ok, that's all I can think of right now
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Here are some "normal" words from the English dictionary I see used here frequently, but have honestly never heard anyone use in real life:

epitome
    pinnacle

ok, that's all I can think of right now
    I see and hear these from time to time, although I don't hear "epitome" as often as I used to. For a while during the late 1980s, that word seemed to be the rage among my classmates.

"Pinnacle" I hear in documentaries from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I see and hear these from time to time, although I don't hear "epitome" as often as I used to. For a while during the late 1980s, that word seemed to be the rage among my classmates.

"Pinnacle" I hear in documentaries from time to time.
    It's unnecessary now since the translation is complete, but I used to refer to the epitome of HSDS to see how the story went on beyond where Zhaomin had translated it. Here it is.

Wuxia. No one i know uses that word in real life where as people qround me actually use the words epitome and pinnacle.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

"maths"

nobody says that. It is singular, yet I see it written plural all the time wtf?
    --=={Grundle}==--

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    "maths"

nobody says that. It is singular, yet I see it written plural all the time wtf?
    Actually, many European and Southeast Asian students use "maths." That's just how they refer to the subject...short for "mathematics."

I think it's British English. "Math" is probably US/Canadian. Not sure. I never say (and hardly ever hear other people say) "math" - although otherwise my English is a disorganized mess of UK and US (and totally alien ;-)) forms.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Xaari View Post
    Actually, many European and Southeast Asian students use "maths." That's just how they refer to the subject...short for "mathematics."
    It still isn't proper English. Many ESL people mess up the language every day, but that doesn't make it right
    --=={Grundle}==--

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    It still isn't proper English. Many ESL people mess up the language every day, but that doesn't make it right
    It's a perfectly correct word in British English that can be traced back to 1911, not something made up by ESL students. "Maths" is the valid colloquial abbreviation for mathematics in all British English-speaking countries (Europe, SE Asia, etc.) and not any less proper than "math" in North America. See the Oxford English Dictionary if you still don't believe me.
    Last edited by Xaari; 10-11-11 at 10:58 AM.