Thread: Rigged 2009 Iranian Presidential Election?

Default Rigged 2009 Iranian Presidential Election?

Well it's a riot now in Tehran. The news is all over the place.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090613/..._iran_election

Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian...election,_2009

It seems, Khamenei is supporting Ahmadinejad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Can't say that people didn't see this coming, considering the place.
    At least it's a good thing to know that there are reformist living in a country like Iran where the only things their government want to do is to annihilate.

I like reformist and really want to be part of it. My country (Malaysia) is full of reformist and on its path to victory in times to come. Sadly they are not that extreme/brave as the reformist in Iran who currently on the street risking their life and using twitter - yay - to report to the world of things happenings there.
    Last edited by rosely; 06-16-09 at 01:53 PM.

The rest of the world should leave them alone, it's none of their business. Do not stick our nose in there. Foreign journalists should stay away from there if they are not welcomed by the government. Better stay out of trouble. Do not become the second Euna Lee and Laura Ling!
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 06-23-09 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    The rest of the world should leave them alone, it's none of their business. Do not stick our nose in there. Foreign journalists should stay away from there if they are not welcomed come the government. Better stay out of trouble. Do not become the second Euna Lee and Laura Ling!
    People who are unwilling to take risks to preserve a free society don't deserve to have freedom.

Nothing makes a tyranny's life easier than frightened people unwilling to stand up for themselves, and that's a *world* effort, not an American or Iranian one.

People who are unwilling to take risks to preserve a free society don't deserve to have freedom.

Nothing makes a tyranny's life easier than frightened people unwilling to stand up for themselves, and that's a *world* effort, not an American or Iranian one.
    If Neda didn't protest, she wouldn't get shot and probably will have a great life with her fiancee. If I don't like the government on power, I wil vote for other candidate which I think is the best among them. I just don't like protest.

If Neda didn't protest, she wouldn't get shot and probably will have a great life with her fiancee.
    Living in a police state can never be described as a "great" life. I pity the people who are forced to live in such conditions.

If I don't like the government on power, I wil vote for other candidate which I think is the best among them.
    Newsflash: the current Iranian government is *not* a real democracy. If they were, the protests wouldn't be necessary.

TC's pathetic "I only care about myself + stay out of trouble" attitude is exactly what makes us Asians easy targets for bullying.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

If Neda didn't protest, she wouldn't get shot and probably will have a great life with her fiancee. If I don't like the government on power, I wil vote for other candidate which I think is the best among them. I just don't like protest.
    Do you notice the contradiction in your statement? A rigged election is exactly why the Iranians are protesting, so your statement on voting is completely void.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Living in a police state can never be described as a "great" life. I pity the people who are forced to live in such conditions.

Newsflash: the current Iranian government is *not* a real democracy. If they were, the protests wouldn't be necessary.
    Iran is not ideal nor perfect place to live, but that is life. The incombent got 62.63%, more than any recent US president, of the votes and he accepts to have a recount so there should be no protest. I think the people who protest violently deserve what they get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian...election,_2009
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 06-29-09 at 12:21 AM.

Iran is not ideal nor perfect place to live, but that is life.
    No, that is not life. Every society whose people enjoyed freedom required the sacrifices of brave people willing to stand up for it, often at great personal cost. If these people didn't exist, we'd all be living under the oppression of tyrants and bullies.

And we can't wait for "supermen" to come do it for us; it's ordinary people who need to make the difference. George Washington, Sun Yat-Sen, Nelson Mandela, Boris Yeltsin...none of them could have made a difference if it weren't for thousands, maybe millions of unnamed people who gave everything they had so that those who came after them could have freedom.

If people today are unwilling to follow their example, their sacrifices are in vain, and we would be unworthy of the freedom we have.

The incombent got 62.63%, more than any recent US president, of the votes and he accepts to have a recount so there should be no protest.
    You haven't been listening or reading: those votes are highly questionable.

You are the most gullible person I've ever encountered. Any tin-pot dictator could tell you the most bald-faced and outrageous lie and you'd accept it as gospel without any critical reflection at all.

TC, if *you* personally ever lose your freedom to an authoritarian, you absolutely, totally, and completely deserve it. I would have no sympathy for you whatsoever.

I think the people who protest violently deserve what they get.
    I think that cowards who are unwilling to stand up for what they believe to be right deserve what *they* get.

No, that is not life. Every society whose people enjoyed freedom required the sacrifices of brave people willing to stand up for it, often at great personal cost. If these people didn't exist, we'd all be living under the oppression of tyrants and bullies.

And we can't wait for "supermen" to come do it for us; it's ordinary people who need to make the difference. George Washington, Sun Yat-Sen, Nelson Mandela, Boris Yeltsin...none of them could have made a difference if it weren't for thousands, maybe millions of unnamed people who gave everything they had so that those who came after them could have freedom.

If people today are unwilling to follow their example, their sacrifices are in vain, and we would be unworthy of the freedom we have.
    Agree, but don't you think that many people these days are abusing the right they have?

You haven't been listening or reading: those votes are highly questionable.

You are the most gullible person I've ever encountered. Any tin-pot dictator could tell you the most bald-faced and outrageous lie and you'd accept it as gospel without any critical reflection at all.
    I am not a fan of dictator, but I would not want to involve in other countries politics as it's none of my business.

TC, if *you* personally ever lose your freedom to an authoritarian, you absolutely, totally, and completely deserve it. I would have no sympathy for you whatsoever.
    Whatever...

I think that cowards who are unwilling to stand up for what they believe to be right deserve what *they* get.
    I don't believe in violent protest where protesters destroy property of innocent people nor government. These violent protesters simply abusing their right. Where is justices for people who lost their property due to violent protest?

Agree, but don't you think that many people these days are abusing the right they have?
    These are not the people we're talking about, Trien. It absolutely astonishes me that you cannot tell the difference.

These weren't crazy sports fans trashing cars and store windows because their favorite team had won/lost a game. These were people sick and tired of their government lying to them and violating their trust time and time again, ignoring their previous petitions for reform and change. They finally took to violence because all the nonviolent methods had been tried and failed, again and again.

I am not a fan of dictator, but I would not want to involve in other countries politics as it's none of my business.
    Trien: wake up. Open your eyes. Unplug your ears. Nobody said anything about foreigners invading Iran and influencing their politics. This is about lending moral support to people who want to turn away from a totalitarian government in their country. When we're talking about A and B, stick with A and B. Don't go pulling in H, M, X, and God forbid, random letters from entirely different languages.

I don't believe in violent protest
    How do you think the U.S. got started? Did Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, etc., get independence from Britain by asking the British king nicely if he would agree to it?

where protesters destroy property of innocent people nor government.
    The only innocent people who have died in these Iranian protests have been the protesters. Not a single government official or soldier has been seriously hurt, let alone killed. How could it be otherwise? Only one side has weapons, and it isn't the protesters.

These violent protesters simply abusing their right.
    Rights? Are you kidding? They're protesting because they haven't got any.

Where is justices for people who lost their property due to violent protest?
    Maybe the Ayatollah and the President would be so kind as to compensate them. After all, they were the cause of the protests, so it'd only be fair...

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    TC's pathetic "I only care about myself + stay out of trouble" attitude is exactly what makes us Asians easy targets for bullying.
    I guess if I wasn't exist, such problem would not happen.

How do you think the U.S. got started? Did Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, etc., get independence from Britain by asking the British king nicely if he would agree to it?
    Why not? Canada asked nicely and was offered autonomy and a country of their own.

Don't assume the "American" solution is always the correct one, unlike many american revisionist historians portray it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by douggilmour View Post
    Why not? Canada asked nicely and was offered autonomy and a country of their own.

Don't assume the "American" solution is always the correct one, unlike many american revisionist historians portray it to be.
    You are more than welcome to try asking nicely for change in the Middle East. Have a nice chat over some rice & kebab and show them your Powerpoint presentation. Let me know how that goes.

These are not the people we're talking about, Trien. It absolutely astonishes me that you cannot tell the difference.

These weren't crazy sports fans trashing cars and store windows because their favorite team had won/lost a game. These were people sick and tired of their government lying to them and violating their trust time and time again, ignoring their previous petitions for reform and change. They finally took to violence because all the nonviolent methods had been tried and failed, again and again.

Trien: wake up. Open your eyes. Unplug your ears. Nobody said anything about foreigners invading Iran and influencing their politics. This is about lending moral support to people who want to turn away from a totalitarian government in their country. When we're talking about A and B, stick with A and B. Don't go pulling in H, M, X, and God forbid, random letters from entirely different languages.

The only innocent people who have died in these Iranian protests have been the protesters. Not a single government official or soldier has been seriously hurt, let alone killed. How could it be otherwise? Only one side has weapons, and it isn't the protesters.

Rights? Are you kidding? They're protesting because they haven't got any.

Maybe the Ayatollah and the President would be so kind as to compensate them. After all, they were the cause of the protests, so it'd only be fair...
    Bravo, Ken.

More protests today as that "President" once again denied that the Holocaust is fact.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090918/..._mi_ea/ml_iran

I fully support the reformists. They are heroes in my eye. It takes so much courage to go onto those streets. I don't even know if I would have the courage to be in the streets if I was an Iranian, or hide in my house like TC would do. Throughout history, issues like human rights have advanced only because of heroic people who dare stand up to tyranny and injustice.

I recommend the movie V for Vendetta.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Where is the money come from? Not from the sky but from hard working tax payers. I have nothing against protest as I believe people should have the right to do to express their concerns. However, violence protest that destroy property of innocent people and government is abuse of right and should be crack down by force.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Bravo, Ken.

More protests today as that "President" once again denied that the Holocaust is fact.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090918/..._mi_ea/ml_iran

I fully support the reformists. They are heroes in my eye. It takes so much courage to go onto those streets. I don't even know if I would have the courage to be in the streets if I was an Iranian, or hide in my house like TC would do. Throughout history, issues like human rights have advanced only because of heroic people who dare stand up to tyranny and injustice.

I recommend the movie V for Vendetta.
    Based on the article, there are ten of thousand support the reformists but hundred of thousand support the president. I am neither support the reformists nor the president as I don't know the truth about them. The wests support the reformists so our media paints them in a positive picture. On the other hand, middle eastern countries that support the president would paint a very different picture. Who is right???
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 09-19-09 at 08:55 AM.