Thread: Why Wong Chung Yeung *couldn't* win his bet with Lam Chiu Ying no matter what

Default Why Wong Chung Yeung *couldn't* win his bet with Lam Chiu Ying no matter what

Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung was tricked by Lam Chiu Ying into losing his bet with her through Lam's use of the fossilized rock to write on a slab of stone. Even if Wong Chung Yeung had seen through Lam's trick, however, he would still have had to let her win because the terms were that if she lost, she would commit suicide. Wong Chung Yeung had no plans to marry Lam Chiu Ying, but he did love her and did not want to see her die. By winning, Wong would have condemned Lam to death. Effectively, Lam had Wong in a pickle: there was no way he would win even if he could.

Missed opportunities due to incompatible personalities - these things are the epitome of unfortunate circumstances.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Missed opportunities due to incompatible personalities - these things are the epitome of unfortunate circumstances.
    It's mostly Lam Chiu Ying's own fault. What kind of man would have a personality compatible with Lam Chiu Ying's? Maybe Yeung Gor, but he had more issues than NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It's mostly Lam Chiu Ying's own fault. What kind of man would have a personality compatible with Lam Chiu Ying's? Maybe Yeung Gor, but he had more issues than NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC.
    If Yelu Qi can cope with Guo Fu, he can certainly cope with Lin Chaoying. Their exchange after Guo Fu tried to cripple Lu Wushuang's other leg shows how amenable he is to anything his woman does.

Lu Wushuang and Guo Fu exchange words. Guo Fu can't win so she attacks Lu Wushuang with a sword. Cheng Ying steps on the sword to break up the fight. Yelu Qi sides with Guo Fu against Cheng Ying. Guo Fu accuses Yelu Qi of having eyes for Cheng Ying, and all the other accusations suggested by Lu Wushuang. Yelu Qi denies this, pointing out that he sided with her against Cheng Ying.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    If Yelu Qi can cope with Guo Fu, he can certainly cope with Lin Chaoying. Their exchange after Guo Fu tried to cripple Lu Wushuang's other leg shows how amenable he is to anything his woman does.

Lu Wushuang and Guo Fu exchange words. Guo Fu can't win so she attacks Lu Wushuang with a sword. Cheng Ying steps on the sword to break up the fight. Yelu Qi sides with Guo Fu against Cheng Ying. Guo Fu accuses Yelu Qi of having eyes for Cheng Ying, and all the other accusations suggested by Lu Wushuang. Yelu Qi denies this, pointing out that he sided with her against Cheng Ying.
    Gwok Fu was irritating, but she's relatively easy to manage because she's simpleminded and has relatively simple needs (sesame biscuit, anyone?). It wasn't hard to humor Gwok Fu because her tantrums were over things that were easily attainable or, at worst, ignorable.

Lam Chiu Ying, on the other hand, was constantly out to one-up Wong Chung Yeung. Who needs the drama of dealing with THAT all the time? I think that Central Divinity finally decided that she wasn't worth it and despite his personal regrets, I think it might have been the wisest decision he ever made.

Lam Chiu Ying, on the other hand, was constantly out to one-up Wong Chung Yeung. Who needs the drama of dealing with THAT all the time? I think that Central Divinity finally decided that she wasn't worth it and despite his personal regrets, I think it might have been the wisest decision he ever made.
    Since his ego couldn't take it, he figured it would be better to condemn both of them? And there was no evidence that LCY was constantly trying to "one-up" him until the point of competition.

It's one thing if he just never had feelings for her and never saw her in that way--can't blame him for that.

But it's another if it was really just his ego speaking--that makes him at least in part, just as responsible was she was.

Yet, it wasn't necessarily his ego that was the problem since he was willing to "lose" to her. His excuse to himself was that he shouldn't have a family before the Jurchins were kicked out, but somehow he doesn't tell her, thus causing the misunderstanding.

So at the end of the day, perhaps the reason for their demise was simply...stupidity.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 11-06-09 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    Since his ego couldn't take it, he figured it would be better to condemn both of them? And there was no evidence that LCY was constantly trying to "one-up" him until the point of competition.
    We'll give Lam Chiu Ying a pass on whatever might have happened before that competition. We really have *no* information about her before that point, so we won't assume that she was always Queen B*tch # 1 (although if she wasn't, it made her later turn that much weirder).

From the point of the competition onward, however, it was all bad news.

It's one thing if he just never had feelings for her and never saw her in that way--can't blame him for that.

But it's another if it was really just his ego speaking--that makes him at least in part, just as responsible was she was.
    Was it really ego at that point? I think Wong Chung Yeung was sincere when he remarked that he didn't think it would be a good idea for him and Lam to settle down while the Jin threat still loomed over the country. Lam's proposal wasn't just that they get married; she seemed to be intimating that they withdraw from the war altogether and just leave the country to hang.

Yet, it wasn't necessarily his ego that was the problem since he was willing to "lose" to her. His excuse to himself was that he shouldn't have a family before the Jurchins were kicked out, but somehow he doesn't tell her, thus causing the misunderstanding.
    Didn't he tell her this upfront? Besides, I think that his reasoning was sincere.

Was it really ego at that point? I think Wong Chung Yeung was sincere when he remarked that he didn't think it would be a good idea for him and Lam to settle down while the Jin threat still loomed over the country. Lam's proposal wasn't just that they get married; she seemed to be intimating that they withdraw from the war altogether and just leave the country to hang.
    I don't recall such a proposal, especially considering that she was the one that tried to trick him out of hibernation in the tomb and continue his "career" in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Didn't he tell her this upfront? Besides, I think that his reasoning was sincere.
    Not from the way QQJ was telling the story. He said WCY's tried to play dumb, thus causing LCY to misunderstand it as him not seeing her worthy or equal or not giving respect...or something along the lines.

We'll give Lam Chiu Ying a pass on whatever might have happened before that competition. We really have *no* information about her before that point, so we won't assume that she was always Queen B*tch # 1 (although if she wasn't, it made her later turn that much weirder).

From the point of the competition onward, however, it was all bad news.
    Having an odd personality does not equate to wanting to being "one up". Frankly, wouldn't you be bitter if some girl/guy chose to be a nun/monk/taoist rather than marry you?
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 11-07-09 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    I don't recall such a proposal, especially considering that she was the one that tried to trick him out of hibernation in the tomb and continue his "career" in the first place.
    That was the only time she was "good" as a character to me. Considering what came next, it left me with a "What the hell happened?!" feeling.

Having an odd personality does not equate to wanting to being "one up". Frankly, wouldn't you be bitter if some girl/guy chose to be a nun/monk/taoist rather than marry you?
    I'd probably be sad about it, but if I were a real pain in the a*s to her, I really wouldn't be able to blame her, would I?

That was the only time she was "good" as a character to me. Considering what came next, it left me with a "What the hell happened?!" feeling.
    That...my dear, is where the "stupidity" factor came into play

I'd probably be sad about it, but if I were a real pain in the a*s to her, I really wouldn't be able to blame her, would I?
    she only became a "pain in the ***" after WCY started his "stupidity" campaign. It was described that they were very good friends and actually did "accomplish things" together.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Default Where was Dr Phil?

Lin Chaoying never wanted to lock WCY in the ancient tomb. WCY closed the chapter with the war against the Jin Empire by the time they had the big fall out.

Timeline:

1. They met each other and became very good friends. Perhaps even romantically interested in each other.
    2. WCY raised an army to free the Chinese in the north; they kept writing to each other.
    3. WCY lost the war; he locked himself up in the tomb. LCY started to cursing him and forced him out of the tomb. Their friendship became even better and started to roam the realm together. Sparring with each other and such. They might have even done that in stage 1. Both of them were pretty much peerless in the world; their mutual talents drove together but was also slowly driving them apart. Because neither of them wanted to lose to the other on anything, that's due that they had no equals. So, the only person who could be a friendly competitor was the him/her. That's not a good way to date at all. The two of them were in love with each other. LCY was known to be a bit temperamental, WCY was often bemused by her little tantrums but he accepted as she is. However, personally I believe in the long run he might get a little tired of this.
    4. LCY wanted to settle down, WCY was in love with her. However, he felt that there was something amiss in the relationship. He couldn't describe it either, but he just thought it couldn't work. So, he pretended not to see LCY's hints, which was very foolish (speaking as a woman myself). It was better than taking advantage of her, so in that way it was sort of gallant of him (in a nerdish way, I think). But still not a good way.
    5. They fought more and more (literally) and WCY always held back. This made LCY furious and thought he was looking down on her. The fighting continued and in the end LCY proposed one final duel.
    6. LCY put down the ultimatum: If WCY wins, she would stay out of his life forever. However, if LCY wins, WCY had to give up his tomb or become a Taoist priest or Buddhist monk and stay on Mount Zhongnan for at least 10 years (and when she said this she blushed). In other words she wanted to make the tomb her home with WCY, if he refused he had to sever his ties with the secular world (LCY's idea behind this was: If I can't have you, no other woman should). (Which I think was extremely selfish). WCY understood her intentions; he still felt that there was something lacking between the two of them and shouldn't get married. So, he initially wanted to defeat her and hopefully end this once and for all. So, she could move on. Then, she added the extra bit that she would stay out of his hair forever if she lost and end her life. WCY was shocked and that was the last thing he wanted to see. So, he decided to lose to her. (Which was stupid, if he loved he could have just said: 'Let's forget the duel and get married).
    6. The duel carving characters into a stone slab. LCY asked WCY to start first, but he said he couldn't do it. He wasn't an immortal. LCY smiled sadly and said: "It seems that you're destined to become a Taoist priest." And with that she carved that poem onto stone slab and the next day WCY became a Taoist priest on Mount Zhongnan. He did not know how she was able to write in stone he suspected something was amiss. We know this because he was plagued by this riddle for years till he finally got a chance to ask Huang Yaoshi. As I wrote in my other post:'Marriage, relationship is all about trust. And before they were to marry each other, Lin Chaoying was already dishonest. How can a marriage work then? It is not surprising if Wang Chongyang felt disappointed and rather become a Taoist priest then step into a disastrous marriage.'
    7. They never saw each other again. LCY devoted the rest of her life to defeat WCY at martial arts. After she successfully created and mastered the Art of Jade Maiden, she passed away.
    8. WCY mourned her passing and was shocked to see her martial arts style. He went into retreat for 3 years to think of a way to counter her style. But failed in the end, he had only some limited success.
    9. 15-20 years later, he won the first Huashan tournament. He absorbed the contents of Jiuyin and knew how to counter her arts and carved that onto the walls of tomb to let the disciples of the ancient tomb know.
    10. He regretted his competitive spirit and told his disciples that they should try to live by Taoist principles as closely as possible.

As I see it; there is plenty of blame to go around on both sides in this relationship. They were each other's greatest love, but they were also the each other's greatest rivals. It's very sad, but it was sort of their own fault. In my opinion, WCY doesn't deserve to be hated more, neither does Lin Chaoying. My biggest problem was the spitting on the portrait of WCY. Was that necessary? He loved Ms Lin dearly, she should have known that. She should also know that he respected her, despite their differences, despite their fall out. Lin went a little overboard with that stunt.
    *Sigh.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Wong Chung Yeung is a sore loser. If he was 10% as great as Duan Yu, things would work out differently. Too bad he did not have the personality of Duan Yu

Don't you remember Duan Yu? As long as he has a crush on her, her personality does NOT matter as all. Too bad WCY did not have the personality of DY.