Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The New Adventure of Chor Lau Heung 《楚留香之蝙蝠傳奇》 (1984)

very nice videos. I like the music as well.

OK, I just rewatched this series and it is so good. Love it more now as an adult than when I was in my preteen years. I think I watched an edited version this time which sucks. Can someone answer these questions for me? They are totally bothering me!

1) How and when did Woo Tit Fa learn SSC was a princess? How did he react to the news?
    2) There was a part that I didn't get. CLH knew Mrs Kam was killed b/c he was at the scene and then immediately after, he is with his group of friends as Ling Tse is crying for her grandma and brother. Then a couple scenes later, I see CLH alone and runs into Woo Tit Fa and asks him if he's seen any of the others. Then CLH spies on the Duke and finds out Mrs Kam was killed and he seemed surprised and distraught. is it me or was that odd?
    3) I had a hard time believing SSC struggled with her decision to leave the palace. From the start she said she didn't want to be a princess and wanted to be with CLH and then near the end they make it out that she was torn. Did anyone else find that hard to believe?
    4) Ok, so now that CLH has all these women on his boat at the end, does he really have a romantic relationship with SSC or is she now just another one of his female companions?
    5) Do you think SSC still kept her princess title at the end or did she get downgraded to a "commoner"?

Would love to hear some opinions on all this. TIA!

1) How and when did Woo Tit Fa learn SSC was a princess? How did he react to the news?
    Can't remember this part.

2) There was a part that I didn't get. CLH knew Mrs Kam was killed b/c he was at the scene and then immediately after, he is with his group of friends as Ling Tse is crying for her grandma and brother. Then a couple scenes later, I see CLH alone and runs into Woo Tit Fa and asks him if he's seen any of the others. Then CLH spies on the Duke and finds out Mrs Kam was killed and he seemed surprised and distraught. is it me or was that odd?
    Now, it rings a bell to me too about this part.

3) I had a hard time believing SSC struggled with her decision to leave the palace. From the start she said she didn't want to be a princess and wanted to be with CLH and then near the end they make it out that she was torn. Did anyone else find that hard to believe?
    She was basically hoping that CLH stayed with her in the palace as the first choice.

4) Ok, so now that CLH has all these women on his boat at the end, does he really have a romantic relationship with SSC or is she now just another one of his female companions?
    Generally, the three are his friends.

5) Do you think SSC still kept her princess title at the end or did she get downgraded to a "commoner"?
    In Asian societies (e.g. Japan), once a princess marries a commoner, she will be "kicked out" of the palace and be a commoner.

Thanks for your reply! Do you think CLH ultimately marries SSC? It just seems hard to fathom that he'd marry her and have 4 female girls living on his boat with him too!

Hi Addict!

I think in this series, at least, CLH will marry SSC. The other four girls, he really treated them as friends. He was rather too casual with the first three girls in the first episodes, but after he met SSC, his relationship with the other girls turned into more of friendship and brotherly.

I'll answer your other questions too, tho Wkeej already answered them well!

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    very nice videos. I like the music as well.
    Thank you, Nan Ling! Making those MVs is a pain in the @$$ due to my old engine, so it's really nice when people give nice comments...

Quote Originally Posted by addicted2tvb View Post
    OK, I just rewatched this series and it is so good. Love it more now as an adult than when I was in my preteen years. I think I watched an edited version this time which sucks. Can someone answer these questions for me? They are totally bothering me!

Would love to hear some opinions on all this. TIA!
    #1. Wu Tit Fa learned about SSC being a princess when the three girls ran ahead of their group, disguised as SSC, CLH and WTF (I just realised how weird this abbrev is). It is either cut from the version that I saw again, but I think CLH and SSC just had to tell Wu that SC was the princess, and they had to rescue the girls now. I don't see Wu's attitude to SC being different afterwards, so he might just "meh, okay, you're a princess, so what..."

#2. You definitely saw the badly edited version. Try the dramanice version, they are more complete than what you saw, it seems.
    In the Dramanice version, CLH was definitely wracked with guilt when he realised the Kams were massacred. He was there, staying all the time Ling Chi accused him as the culprit behind the Kams' downfall, and CLH couldn't say a word against it.

http://www1.dramanice.eu/drama/the-n...u-heung-detail

#3. I think SC genuinely wanted to roam jianghu with CLH, but after she returned to the palace, she got comfortable again, and she then changed her mind. Now she wanted CLH to stay with her in the palace instead. I think SC started to get the hang of being a ruler when her father was captured, hence at the end of the series, she had grown some sense of responsibility to the Court (she advised CLH to join the Court as well to help the kingdom). She still couldn't get her snobbish attitude either though, in the palace, which bothered CLH, and which made him realise they couldn't make it work if he stay in the palace.

#4. I've answered this one above

#5. I think she'll keep the title. Her father was a kind emperor, and I doubt her brother would downgrade her status as a princess. This series is definitely a feel-good series, and not based on the historical records at all, so I doubt that she'd be stripped of her title once she's out of the palace.

Also, for Q2 re the Kams massacre, I wrote a fanfiction here based on those scenes:

http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...eung-1984.html

And in the associated screen caps and episode recap, I've given the summary of what happened at Ep 27:
    http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...-24-30_29.html

basically, that mistake shook CLH to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    #1. Wu Tit Fa learned about SSC being a princess when the three girls ran ahead of their group, disguised as SSC, CLH and WTF (I just realised how weird this abbrev is). It is either cut from the version that I saw again, but I think CLH and SSC just had to tell Wu that SC was the princess, and they had to rescue the girls now. I don't see Wu's attitude to SC being different afterwards, so he might just "meh, okay, you're a princess, so what..."

#2. You definitely saw the badly edited version. Try the dramanice version, they are more complete than what you saw, it seems.
    In the Dramanice version, CLH was definitely wracked with guilt when he realised the Kams were massacred. He was there, staying all the time Ling Chi accused him as the culprit behind the Kams' downfall, and CLH couldn't say a word against it.

#3. I think SC genuinely wanted to roam jianghu with CLH, but after she returned to the palace, she got comfortable again, and she then changed her mind. Now she wanted CLH to stay with her in the palace instead. I think SC started to get the hang of being a ruler when her father was captured, hence at the end of the series, she had grown some sense of responsibility to the Court (she advised CLH to join the Court as well to help the kingdom). She still couldn't get her snobbish attitude either though, in the palace, which bothered CLH, and which made him realise they couldn't make it work if he stay in the palace.

#5. I think she'll keep the title. Her father was a kind emperor, and I doubt her brother would downgrade her status as a princess. This series is definitely a feel-good series, and not based on the historical records at all, so I doubt that she'd be stripped of her title once she's out of the palace.
    Thanks IP for the inputs. Yes, I totally agree that this is a "feel-good" series, compared to the earlier one which have Adam Cheng as CLX.

Hi icha! thanks for your reply! Great insights and your explanation on #3 helps a lot. As for #2, I wasn't talking about episode 27. I did see that part with CLH being wracked with guilt. It was further into the series when Mrs Kam was killed (when the CLH and team went to prevent the Duke from becoming emperor). CLH was there and saw her killed and he left with the team but than shortly after that scene, he is alone and runs into WTF and asks whether he saw any of their friends. And then he goes to spy on the Duke and hears about Mrs Kam being killed and seems shocked. That scene seemed to contradict what happened earlier. I can find out for you which episode I'm talking about if that would help. Thanks again!

Oooh that part!

Yes, it was a sloppy editing for the DVD version. I don't think the original series would have jumped that far, but that was more than three decades ago (!!) so I couldn't remember the details.

Yes, i think there is a big jump there. I think what happened was that CLH indeed realised that Mrs Kam died already that day during the palace attack due to his sloppy strategy. Then he decided with the others to dispatch into different teams to make it more difficult for the palace guards to catch them.

But yes, i was also confused that SC and Inspector Ying etc were able to leave the city gate. They were interrogated when a cart hit the gate, hence created a commotion, and SC et al were able to escape. I thought it was CLH who released the cart, but he was also wondering if SC etc had escaped the city.

So i think it's down to the bad editing of the DVD/VCD version...

Or perhaps when CLH et al escaped the palace, he just thought that Mrs Kam and her grandson were captured. Then he later realised that Mrs Kam died and Kam Chi Chung (the grandson) was captured. Yeah, i think that was what happened. He wasn't aware that she died in the first place.

Or perhaps when CLH et al escaped the palace, he just thought that Mrs Kam and her grandson were captured. Then he later realised that Mrs Kam died and Kam Chi Chung (the grandson) was captured. Yeah, i think that was what happened. He wasn't aware that she died in the first place.
    Yeah that's what I had to assume, that he wasn't sure she died. Gosh I wish I could get my hands on the original versions of these shows! So you really think CLH and SC get married? I don't know why but I feel like she joins him but doesn't marry him. Seems marriage is too formal for CLH. Of course I wish they got married as I adore their love story!

Oh, they'd get married alright. In ep 32, after CLH was blatantly asked by the Emperor whether he'd like to take SC as his wife, CLH hesitated not because he didn't want to get married, but because he felt he was beneath the Princess. He also said later to SC that marriage is something very serious that he didn't want to take lightly. But when SC quoted about an old saying (about a wife goes wherever the husband goes, or something like that), he smiled and promised to take her roaming the jianghu. Then in the palace before he left, he asked SC point blank whether she wanted to leave the palace and stayed with him. For someone like CLH (this version at least), that was the equivalent of "will you marry me".

As for the other girls, such as Jan Jan the Huashan girl, CLH never even hinted that he wanted her to stay with him. Yet of course he didn't shoo her away when she arrived, for he was just that kind of person who wouldn't mind bein surrounded by women. But i think this CLH only had his eyes for SC.

Oh, and i also want to have the real original version of the series, without the edits, but i doubt even TVB has it now...I don't mind the absence of subtitles, for i just want to fill in the blanks...

I also want to see the Adam Cheng version just for story and relationship comparison. I understand that many ppl like the Adam Cheng ver better, and that's fine too. I just want to know...

Oh, they'd get married alright. In ep 32, after CLH was blatantly asked by the Emperor whether he'd like to take SC as his wife, CLH hesitated not because he didn't want to get married, but because he felt he was beneath the Princess. He also said later to SC that marriage is something very serious that he didn't want to take lightly. But when SC quoted about an old saying (about a wife goes wherever the husband goes, or something like that), he smiled and promised to take her roaming the jianghu. Then in the palace before he left, he asked SC point blank whether she wanted to leave the palace and stayed with him. For someone like CLH (this version at least), that was the equivalent of "will you marry me".

As for the other girls, such as Jan Jan the Huashan girl, CLH never even hinted that he wanted her to stay with him. Yet of course he didn't shoo her away when she arrived, for he was just that kind of person who wouldn't mind bein surrounded by women. But i think this CLH only had his eyes for SC.
    sorry for the delayed reply, icha! are you going on the subtitles or what they say in cantonese? i have been going off what they say and at least from what i hear, the emperor asks CLH to take care of SC for life. i know SC made that comment about a wife and husband but it wasn't clear to me whether CLH would actually marry her. I agree with you that he only has romantic feelings for SC, not the other girls.

Oh, and i also want to have the real original version of the series, without the edits, but i doubt even TVB has it now...I don't mind the absence of subtitles, for i just want to fill in the blanks...

I also want to see the Adam Cheng version just for story and relationship comparison. I understand that many ppl like the Adam Cheng ver better, and that's fine too. I just want to know...
    yeah, i am tempted to see the adam cheng version too! I highly doubt I will like it the way I do this series though! btw, i came across a bunch of your MVs. They are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by addicted2tvb View Post
    sorry for the delayed reply, icha! are you going on the subtitles or what they say in cantonese? i have been going off what they say and at least from what i hear, the emperor asks CLH to take care of SC for life. i know SC made that comment about a wife and husband but it wasn't clear to me whether CLH would actually marry her. I agree with you that he only has romantic feelings for SC, not the other girls.
    You raised a good point. I don't understand Cantonese, so i only based it on the subtitles. But from what I understand from CLH's expressions, it wasn't thst he didn't want to marry SC (or take care of her for life). He was concerned about the different status between them.

I also remember the conversation at the last episode in the palace garden when CLH said something like a reflection on a mirror is just a reflection. He can't obtain that reflection. To me, it's an indication that he wanted SC as well, but he knew it would be unrealistic. Does it translate to him wanting to marry her? To me, yes. Even Adam Cheng's CLH got married eventually, and his relationships with the other girls were more complicated than Michael Miu's CLH to his adopted sisters.

I also noticed that he did refer to the three girls as "the three little sisters" in Cantonese (sam man mui?), instead of "my three ladies" as per subtitles, which i think cemented his position towards the three girls...

And thank you for the kudos for my MVs!
    Last edited by Icha Parvati; 10-31-16 at 05:36 AM.

Even Adam Cheng's CLH got married eventually, and his relationships with the other girls were more complicated than Michael Miu's CLH to his adopted sisters.
    If I remember correctly, both his favorite girls died (one is the character played by Liza Wang, the other is Su Rong Rong). Killed by Wu Hua (the monk)? So Adam Cheng's CLH ended on a "sad" note.

So I've read from the web. But I haven't seen Adam Cheng's versions, so I don't know how sad it is...

What about the 1995 ish Adam Cheng CLH series? Did he get another wife there?