Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: State of Divinity 《笑傲江湖》

Quote Originally Posted by clfan View Post
    And BTW, what up with TVB not release this series in VCD?
    I own Return of Condor Heroes 95 VCD with Carman Lee and Louis.
    Also own the Condor Heroes 94 with Julian and Athena Chu and own DGSD 96 of Felix Wong VCD.
    But what up with this one? Do TVB just don't like this series that they made? Or do they just completely forget about it.
    I read on another forum that TVB might not release this on DVD format because Jackie Lui is not very famous. When compared to Julian Cheung, Louis Koo, and the people in DGSD97, Jackie Lui just seems less successful. Heck, I don't even know who he was until I heard of this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    I read on another forum that TVB might not release this on DVD format because Jackie Lui is not very famous. When compared to Julian Cheung, Louis Koo, and the people in DGSD97, Jackie Lui just seems less successful. Heck, I don't even know who he was until I heard of this series.
    They'll release it eventually. I doubt it's because Jackie Lui is not famous. Some of the most random series have been released. Chow Yun Fat is famous enough yet, the Bund hasn't been released yet.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I've decided to watch this series alongside reading the translation. I'm up to Chapter 9 in the novel so far so I can probably watch 5-6 episodes?

what is jackie up to these days? sigh such an under rated actor
    问世间,情是何物,直教生死相许?
    Lim Yo Hwan FIGHTING!

Was wondering why Jackie didnt get 'famous'. What a pity? He's pretty cool to me! It's like one minute he's there, and the next he's gone. What happened???

Quote Originally Posted by GIgis View Post
    I agreed, I like the 80 version better, not due to the look of the actor, but their chemistry, storyline, costumes, and best of all the themes song. The music is very good. All the remake doesn't have a good theme and music like the 80 version
    I heard the 80's SPW was horrible. Never watched it but everyone complained about Chow Yun Fat's performance in there. You're the only one that have a different opinion.

I watched CYF's version and Jackie's version back-to-back, and normally I would always love the 80's version more, but this series is probably the only one where I actually like the 90's version more then the 80's version. Don't get me wrong, the 80's version was pretty good itself, but I just liked the 90's one more cas the storyline flowed better, the romance and relationships between the characters were developed better too, and well Jackie was just so likeable in that role.

About the themesongs, I do have to admit I like the 80's one more, but the 90's one grows on you the more you listen to it. And Jamie Chik is surely prettier then that girl in the 90's version, and the 80's costume is heaps better, and I like both Rebecca Chan and Fiona Leung as RYY.
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

"มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

Thumbs up State of Divinity 1996 has to be the best version so far

I didnt watch the version in the 80s, but I did see the one in 2000 or 2001. I have to say this version with Jacky and Fiona has to be thes best! I'm rewatching it and it's just as excellent as before. I love the cast! So thankful that there's a thread for this series. I think this version is out on dvd which is dubbed in Vietnamese. I think I have the link for this version in Chinese. I have to go look for it. Youtube has this series in Khmer.Personally, I feel the cast did such a wonderful job. I like them all! Some people may say Fiona lEUng isnt appealing, but her acting makes her look good. She isnt all that ugly..Jacky isn;t the most attractive guy, but the way he protrays himself makes him shine. Some other actresses may look better than them, but there's something that other stars can't replay both Jackie and Fiona Leung in this version! Sometimes, I wonder why Jackie isnt so famous when he really knows how to act

I have always wondered if any1 has a video clip ofthem making this series!
    Last edited by UnforgottenEricaChoi; 01-27-09 at 11:54 PM.
    Actors that I like: Felix Wong, Louis Koo, Aaron Kwok Chow Cher Meng, Jimmy Lin , Hawick Lau

All time favorite actresses: Noel Leung Siu Bing, Erica Choi,Fiona Leung, &Florence Tan

I finally found this series being sold at Pacific Mall. Unfortunately it's the "fan-ban" version but I get to finally watch it whenever I want on DVD If you are in Toronto, you can try checking out Pacific Mall. Surprisingly the quality is decent and watchable.

I agree with most people here that State of Divinity 1996 is one of the greatest wuxia adaptations of all-time. It's a damn shame that TVB does not produce wuxia series like this anymore. I call the 90's the Diamond Age of Wuxia Adaptations mainly due to SOD 96 and DGSD 97.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w58/samuelhuflit2212/TieungaogianghStateofdivinity.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/thumbnail.php?img=/images/productions/State-of-Divinity-4952ff7161826-442.jpg&width=500&height=800')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i1.web.vip.hk1.tvb.com/www.tvb.com/tvbi/program/state_divinity/image/state_divinity_1b.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://koolouis.new21.net/Pic/divinity3.jpg')

SOD 96 Forever!

I'll definitely be picking up the official DVD version IF they decide to release one.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 01-28-09 at 02:00 PM.

Default LINK to watch this series

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    I call the 90's the Diamond Age of Wuxia Adaptations mainly due to SOD 96 and DGSD 97.
    SOD 96 Forever! .
    I agree with you! (I love DSSD97 too!)
    Anyway, here is the direct LINK which is in Chinese to watch the greatest State of Divinity 1996 below:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/fuJK4zyhGeo/

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l64/roby3/DV/FionaLeung/2.jpg') Jackie seemed so HAPPY.Must be his fav. series!
    Image taken from Dienanh.com
    HAVE YOU GUYS EVER SEEN A PIC OF THE CAST TOGETHER IN A PICTURE?
    Hope more people will more about this series and the thread wil keep going..

1 more thing, I just read somewhere online and I've found out that Mak Ging Ting/Mak Lai Hong is Jackie's girlfriend..I can't beleieve it. I wish he would marry Fiona instead.lol Anywya, Wish him the best. Actually they're married. Jackie and Joey Meng will have a series..Lawrence Ng is also in the series. By the way, is there athread for Jackie Lui on here?
    Last edited by UnforgottenEricaChoi; 01-28-09 at 02:37 PM. Reason: to post up a link
    Actors that I like: Felix Wong, Louis Koo, Aaron Kwok Chow Cher Meng, Jimmy Lin , Hawick Lau

All time favorite actresses: Noel Leung Siu Bing, Erica Choi,Fiona Leung, &Florence Tan

Nice link, now everybody can watch it online. I prefer watching it on DVD on my big TV

How about SOD 96 VS XAJH 01??\
    Which one do you *enjoy* watching more?

I thought XAJH was the best mainland wuxia production so far in the 2000's. The scenary, costumes and fight scenes were incredible. That fight scenes with DFBB and with LPZ vs YCH were absolutely amazing.

But SOD 96 is still my all time favorite. The storyline and the characters are perfect. There were no draggy or pointless scenes, it was pure no-nonsense wuxia from beginning to end. Even though some of the sets and costumes may be outdated, SOD 96 still has the best "wuxia feel" to it. Even though XAJH visuals looks really good (filmed to be a realistic wuxia epic), SOD was just more fun to watch.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 01-28-09 at 05:00 PM.

Default http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/fuJK4zyhGeo/ (link to watch State of Divinity 96)

LINK to watch old State of Divinty in the 80s http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/4jrSTew_QEU/ ( I never seen it before but here it is)
    Link to watch SOD 96 http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/fuJK4zyhGeo/
    (Ive just checked that some parts/scenes are missing, I'll find a bette link when I have time)

You can also go watch other versions and SONgs from SOD there as well! ENJOY ALL

How about SOD 96 VS XAJH 01??
    Which one do you *enjoy* watching more?
    I know watching it on DVD is way better, but it's better to have online to watch than nothing. Speard the link around so people who want can watch it. I have my SOD96 on vidoes lol..I agree with you!
    Which one do I enjoy? LOL HA HA KA Ka Of course, SOD96! ha ha
    I have a lot to comment on SOD 2001, but there are so many negative thoughts on this version b..c it's a version that I don't like. If I offended anyone about SOD in 1001, please bear with me.Anita,the leading actress in 2001, isn't that bad. She is prettier than Fiona Leung, but there's something that I don't like her than Fiona. Fiona is a better RYingYing! Yeah, Anita's clothers are nicer but so what hahaha..
    The worse thing is Anita's father in the series..I laughed so hard when I first realized that;s RYY's father. ha ha (HE CAN'T compete to a veteran actor like Fiona's father in SOD 96? -Well chosen cast!)ha ha I think a lot of people in here said it all why the version is better than the others so far. I don't read the novel or any from other serials,so I usally watch the serials and rate it as I go along. If the storylines make sense and the cast are good that's a good series that can last FOREVER! Since I havent read the novel I dont know which version is correct, but I personally feel everything is just "perfect" in SOB '96. In the version of 2001, RyingYing's father iss cruel to her mother and she plays a role of her mother I just think that's funny lol. In addition to that, they make the monks look so evil since they want to torture Anita in the series.. Perhaps, the director want people to feel pity for Anita's role LOL. I feel more sorry for Fiona as RYY than Anita. Watching some parts of SOD 01 may be cool, but I can't watch this version for the 2nd time.

I understand they switched everything around to be unique so I respect that, but I favor SOD 96 more! ha ha BTW, did Richie and Anita play the song in the series? I remember that they didnt..
    Last edited by UnforgottenEricaChoi; 01-28-09 at 04:14 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something

I was referring to the mainland china version called XAJH, i think you are referring to the taiwanese SOD in the year 2000. The only two worth watching are SOD 96 and XAJH 2001.

Yeah DVD on TV is so much better than online. But you are right, watching it online is better than not watching it. Did they upload the entire series online?

How did you get the tapes btw? Did you record them from the rental tapes back then? I picked up the DVDs with cantonese/mandarin audio and chinese subs from an asian video store. It's not an official release or anything but the video quality is decent enough (VCD quality).

*stilll hoping for TVB to release the official DVDs with excellent video quality*
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 01-28-09 at 05:57 PM.

Did they upload the entire series online?
    How did you get the tapes btw? Did you record them from the rental tapes back then?
    For SOD 96, I think they have the entire episodes ,but I dont know why each episode doesnt really follow. For example, after episode 12 he should meet RYingYing for the 1st time, but it jumps to another part. I dont think the episode is cutted. You can watch it and if it's missing a lot of scenes I can find the scenes that you miss.
    My bro did record this series when it first came out, but he didnt finish recording. He only recorded some episodes. It's quite easy to get this series over my place b.c the rental place at my area likes to keep old serials that are popular/good so that's how I have the whole series now. The owner recorded it from the dvd or vcd, and the quality is ok. Some episodes aren't that clear comapre to the episodes that my bro recorded.
    I didn't see the mainland version and the other one in the 80s. I dont think I'm interested.
    Which version has the best melody when they play the flute and zither?

Which version has the best melody when they play the flute and zither?
    SOD 1996!

The song in the 2001 was...uh, boring. It was just too slow.
    Last edited by dictionary; 01-28-09 at 09:21 PM.

Come to think of it, I think the whole series of XAJH seemed really slow. The music, the walking, the pace, etc. It had a great epic realistic feeling, but sometimes it was boring compared to the perfectly-paced TVB version. It's hard to pin pont exactly but the TVB was just a whole lot more fun to watch.

not to offend any fans of xajh 01, i think that version was my least favorite, don't like the music, i know scenery is all good but some reason zjz production doesn't give me that wuxia feel like tvb or eve lgl series does. all in all 96 sod is the best hands down, music, characters, costumes were nice.

jackie is actually more in atv series then in tvb, i think this is probably his first tvb series, love him in who is the winner, fist of fury,etc. you guys should check out his atv series hes cool. one reason why i watch chinese ghost story with daniel n barbie he was in there guest starring

ps i also enjoyed the legendary swordsman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n_pSnAdtaw , hottest looking dong fon bu bai ever, state of divinity 2000 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO1YG...eature=related with richie ren was cool too but didn't like the female casting besides the main girl,i enjoy those series fight scenes better then mainland versions(too much slow motion) n no graphics, n the 8 recluse stance n absorbing technique didn't look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mido-Ban View Post
    not to offend any fans of xajh 01, i think that version was my least favorite, don't like the music, i know scenery is all good but some reason zjz production doesn't give me that wuxia feel like tvb or eve lgl series does. all in all 96 sod is the best hands down, music, characters, costumes were nice.

jackie is actually more in atv series then in tvb, i think this is probably his first tvb series, love him in who is the winner, fist of fury,etc. you guys should check out his atv series hes cool. one reason why i watch chinese ghost story with daniel n barbie he was in there guest starring
    I think TVB produces the best wuxia feel amongst all the jin yong series from all the producers. they make it in such a way that almost every scene is enjoyable. there's no draggy relationship arcs or slow-paced boring scenes. they are very plot-oriented. SOD 96 is one of the best representatives of plot-oriented wuxia series made by TVB.

I think TVB produces the best wuxia feel amongst all the jin yong series from all the producers. they make it in such a way that almost every scene is enjoyable. there's no draggy relationship arcs or slow-paced boring scenes. they are very plot-oriented. SOD 96 is one of the best representatives of plot-oriented wuxia series made by TVB.
    Amen.

This series has the best flute instrumental. Fast-paced as it is, it has an uplifting aura. Definitely contributed to the series' classic status.

An unforgettable adaptation.