Thread: Chow Yun-fat, Andy Lau speak up against use of tear gas on HK protesters

Default Chow Yun-fat, Andy Lau speak up against use of tear gas on HK protesters

HONG KONG - Actor Chow Yun-fat on Wednesday (Oct 1) defended pro-democracy protesters, and criticised the police for the use of tear gas on demonstrators in Hong Kong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQqYTIvElRI
    In an interview with newspaper Apple Daily, Chow said: “I’ve met the residents, the students - they are very brave and it’s touching to see that they’re fighting for what they want. The students are reasonable. If the government can come up with a solution that the citizens or students are satisfied with, I believe the crisis will end.”But he concluded that demanding the resignation of Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying would not help the political unrest. “Demanding the resignation of any person will not help matters,” he said. “What’s important now is to solve the issue at hand.”Chow added that the police’s use of tear gas on Sunday on protesters who defied government orders were excessive. “When the government uses violent measures on students, it’s a turn-off for the people of Hong Kong,” he said. “I don’t wish to see anyone getting hurt… it was a peaceful demonstration and there was no need for any violence or tear gas.”
    Earlier on Wednesday, actor Andy Lau had also spoken up on the pro-democracy protests, calling for peace in Hong Kong as demonstrators blocked main thoroughfares in the city. In a post on the Andy World Club fan site, he called on protesters to “not let their feelings be swayed by a few people sowing discord”, and said there should be “no tear gas, no violence, no abuse”.“Students and protesters, you should be worried for your safety, and you should know that you have family members who are concerned about you,” he added. - CNA

http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/in...#ixzz3ExdiN0g6

Seriously, the protesters should just go home and mind their own business. Nothing good will come out of protest. Beijing will not back down. If they want democracy so much, move to another country where there is democracy. China wasn't/isn't/willnever a democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Seriously, the protesters should just go home and mind their own business. Nothing good will come out of protest. Beijing will not back down. If they want democracy so much, move to another country where there is democracy. China wasn't/isn't/willnever a democracy.
    How do you manage to say that their democracy is not their business, whilst lecturning them on this from thousands of miles away? As someone who feels qualified to lecture Hong Kongers on what is and isn't their business, when was the last time your family had any ties with Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    How do you manage to say that their democracy is not their business, whilst lecturning them on this from thousands of miles away? As someone who feels qualified to lecture Hong Kongers on what is and isn't their business, when was the last time your family had any ties with Hong Kong?
    Do you know what are the possible consequences for keep protesting? Do you want to see another Tiananmen Square incident? Even the Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying told them that Beijing will not back down.

Do you know what are the possible consequences for keep protesting? Do you want to see another Tiananmen Square incident? Even the Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying told them that Beijing will not back down.
    That's a different argument from saying that this isn't their own business. If they want to protest, that's their business and they can take responsibility for their own actions. What it isn't is your business, and you're in no position to tell them to mind their own. Judging by your non-Cantonese name, I'd say that your family has seen many generations since it has had any ties with Hong Kong, assuming that it ever had any, and thus your lecturing the Hong Kongers to mind their own business is hypocritical in the extreme.

That's a different argument from saying that this isn't their own business. If they want to protest, that's their business and they can take responsibility for their own actions. What it isn't is your business, and you're in no position to tell them to mind their own. Judging by your non-Cantonese name, I'd say that your family has seen many generations since it has had any ties with Hong Kong, assuming that it ever had any, and thus your lecturing the Hong Kongers to mind their own business is hypocritical in the extreme.
    Ok, I worded badly. However, my point is it's better for them to stop protesting. The leaders in Beijing are no push over. If the protest keep getting bigger and bigger, then the consequences is unimaginable. You know what they are capable with.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 10-02-14 at 04:47 PM.

Ok, I worded badly. However, my point is it's better for them to stop protesting. The leaders in Beijing are no push over. If the protest keep getting bigger and bigger, then the consequences is unimaginable. You know what they are capable with.
    They can want what they want. Your uber Chinese patriotism, spoken from thousands of miles away from anywhere that's Chinese, may not accord with those who actually live in China. You're better off being patriotic about the place where you actually live.

FWIW I'm visiting Hong Kong in the near future and these troubles are likely to restrict my touristy activities, which annoys me. But it doesn't annoy me half as much as people who sit at a keyboard half a world away and are vehemently nationalistic about a place they know nothing about. It reminds me of Irish-Americans who claim to know more about the Irish identity than people who actually live in Ireland.

They can want what they want. Your uber Chinese patriotism, spoken from thousands of miles away from anywhere that's Chinese, may not accord with those who actually live in China. You're better off being patriotic about the place where you actually live.

FWIW I'm visiting Hong Kong in the near future and these troubles are likely to restrict my touristy activities, which annoys me. But it doesn't annoy me half as much as people who sit at a keyboard half a world away and are vehemently nationalistic about a place they know nothing about. It reminds me of Irish-Americans who claim to know more about the Irish identity than people who actually live in Ireland.
    I never lived in China so I am not patriotic to China. My parents are Teochew and I was born in VietNam. I visited my father home town twice over last 3 years and I am glad that I don't live there. I am a proud Canadian. I just do not want to see people get slaughter for nothing, whether it's in Hong Kong or anywhere else. Yeah, if they want to throw their lives away for nothing, they have every right to do it. Good luck to them.