Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Champions League Predictions

While Liverpool made it interesting for a while leading 2-0 at the half, both of yesterday's ties where over after the first leg. In contrast, although the away goals give Porto & Arsenal the advantage, both ties are still up for grabs. I still think Arsenal & Man U will go through. Should be an exciting day of football.

Down to the last four. Arsenal over Man U, Barcelona over Chelsea. A repeat of the 2006 final.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanlie Tong View Post
    Down to the last four. Arsenal over Man U, Barcelona over Chelsea. A repeat of the 2006 final.
    I disagree, it will be Man Utd - Barca. Barca with advantage though, not because they are the better team, but because Man Utd have a very tight schedule averaging 3 days per game until the CL final. With Chelsea squad, it could even be a repeat of last year final.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    I disagree, it will be Man Utd - Barca. Barca with advantage though, not because they are the better team, but because Man Utd have a very tight schedule averaging 3 days per game until the CL final. With Chelsea squad, it could even be a repeat of last year final.
    Arsenal has already beaten Man U once this year, and have been in much better form than Man U of late. Man U is not the team they were last year I would be very surprised to see them advance.

i am a man utd fan and i am surprised that we made it past porto after that first leg debacle...i think the barca chelsea game will be a true testament to whether they are the best game this season...they are facing their first english team and a very good defensive side..if barca make it past chelsea i think they have the CL in the bag regardless of who they face in the final

Quote Originally Posted by yongbifan View Post
    i am a man utd fan and i am surprised that we made it past porto after that first leg debacle...i think the barca chelsea game will be a true testament to whether they are the best game this season...they are facing their first english team and a very good defensive side..if barca make it past chelsea i think they have the CL in the bag regardless of who they face in the final
    Arsenal and Chelsea both have some problems heading into the semi finals. Van Persie is expected to miss the first leg against Man U. Cole is suspended for the first leg and Chelsea has to figure out who to play at left back.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Arsenal over Man U.
    Barca over Chelsea.

Barca for the win.

MESSI!
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Interesting to see 2006 finalists and 2008 finalists in the 2009 semi finals, while 2007 finalists are out. Will it be a repeat of 2006 or 2008? I'm sticking to my prediction that it will be 2008 winner vs 2006 winner. This week will see both away teams winning their games.

I'll be rooting for Man Utd and Messi(!), not Ronaldo.

I'll be rooting for Man Utd and Messi(!), not Ronaldo.
    Hmm. There's a conflict of interest.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

The way Man U played in the first leg the tie with Arsenal should already be over. Only the play of Almunia kept it from being a rout. The return of Van Persie should help the Arsenal attack but I am not sure what Wenger can do to stiffen Arsenal's defense. Man U should go through.

In my view Barcelona has been griping too much about Chelsea's tactics. Chelsea did what they had to do and I am not sure why they thought Chelsea would play any differently. Barcelona created enough chances to score at least one goal. On the other hand, Barca did have a legimate complaint about the referee who was abysmal. A lot of the whining from Barca may be an attempt to influence the officating for the return tie.
    Chelsea has to either win outright or force another 0-0 game to take it to pks. I don't think either of those will happen. Barca should go through.

arsenal will need to wait a few more years to be contenders. I don't see them catching up to the top clubs in the next 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    arsenal will need to wait a few more years to be contenders. I don't see them catching up to the top clubs in the next 2 years.
    They need more experience and a better backline. :\

Poor chelsea.

Man U are favourites now given the semifinal performances right?
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Poor chelsea.

Man U are favourites now given the semifinal performances right?
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.barcaforum.com/images/smilies/flagvl8.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.barcaforum.com/images/smilies/flagvl8.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.barcaforum.com/images/smilies/flagvl8.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.barcaforum.com/images/smilies/flagvl8.gif')

Poor Chelsea? The officiating was poor but it was poor both ways and in both legs. Anelka trips over his own feet and Barca has to play for 25 minutes with 10 men and Chelsea still couldn't protect a lead. But yes, Man U should be the favorites.
    Last edited by Wanlie Tong; 05-07-09 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    I agree with Guo Xiang that they need some help in back, but I think they could pass Liverpool & Chelsea next year. Having Arshavin all season will help and if they can avoid some of the injuries suffered this year I could see them finishing second.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Hmm. There's a conflict of interest.
    Nothing wrong with rooting for the best player in the world and not rooting for Ronaldo.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.barcaforum.com/images/smilies/2145960713mundoemotiincmy8.gif')

what drama!..spectactular semifinal..i think if anything this champions league will be marred by all the poor refreeing than the quality of football...fletcher's sending off and now this...but its the dream finale..two of the best attacking sides in teh world square off

Quote Originally Posted by Wanlie Tong View Post
    Nothing wrong with rooting for the best player in the world and not rooting for Ronaldo.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.barcaforum.com/images/smilies/2145960713mundoemotiincmy8.gif')
    Yes, but shortsight is rooting for Man Utd! That's where the conflict comes in, cos if Messi is having a really good day, it could well means he could make things really, really difficult for the Red Devils.

I'd be rooting for Man Utd though, and be hoping for a heartstopping match.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Yes, but shortsight is rooting for Man Utd! That's where the conflict comes in, cos if Messi is having a really good day, it could well means he could make things really, really difficult for the Red Devils.

I'd be rooting for Man Utd though, and be hoping for a heartstopping match.
    Well, my version of win-win situation is Messi scoring two goals, Ronaldo getting injured in the 1st minute, and Man Utd scoring 3 goals, thus Man Utd winning 3-2!

Ronaldo getting injured in the 1st minute
    My, that's vicious. But I could care less for what happens to Ronaldo if Man Utd could win.