Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

Lol, chinese magazines have the oddest beauty/dieting tips. E.g. Drinking papaya milk.

Anyway, I just finished watching the "introductory" (Story behind, and the others posted by Mango_cake) videos. Although YM speaks like a practiced media handler, but I do get the feeling that she'd rather be making hilarious snipes.

Was YM "black-listed" due to the famous YZ/Karen war-of-words? Or was it due to the incident where she mentioned she was kicked out of a project due to couch-casting? But she wasn't really black-listed for long right? Since her wiki-d states she has had work during 2009-2010....

YM-HanGeng = I could totally like them as pair, since HanGeng is doing movies as well. (I'm so glad his career flew-off since he left SME/SJ)

ETA:
    YM is really some sort of super human to be running about in a forty-degree fever.

I really appreciate your YM updates, Mango_Cake.
    Last edited by ice_mountain23; 03-23-12 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ice_mountain23 View Post
    Anyway, I just finished watching the "introductory" (Story behind, and the others posted by Mango_cake) videos. Although YM speaks like a practiced media handler, but I do get the feeling that she'd rather be making hilarious snipes.
    Yes, it's a pity (but definitely for the best) that she has become much more careful and reserved about her speech (she herself has mentioned this)...Like in her first appearance on Happy Camp (Oct. 2010)--Yang Mi filmed that one before she took off in popularity after Gong, so she was a lot more open and non-filtered. Thus we get to see her sharp tongue and wit at work... Unfortunately, while I found it hilarious, she got a LOT of backlash over it. That was probably one of the reasons she became a lot more "practiced" and "careful" about what she says. (The other incident was the "qian gui zhe" which happened even earlier...back then YM was very open and talked freely about various aspects in the entertainment industry, but again, it resulted in a lot of backlash.)

Was YM "black-listed" due to the famous YZ/Karen war-of-words? Or was it due to the incident where she mentioned she was kicked out of a project due to couch-casting? But she wasn't really black-listed for long right? Since her wiki-d states she has had work during 2009-2010....
    Well, we'll never know the details and to be honest I didn't follow YM that closely back then so I'm not sure on the specifics. The YZ/Karen war didn't even happen until after Gong was in production (i.e. much later), but YM did get a lot of backlash from that incident (so it probably affected her reputation but not her career overall). Things did get ugly though after CP3 (with YM subsequently declining to be in Fantasy Zhu Xian in favour of accepting the offer from Tian Xia 2). Even though she still got work, a lot of her stuff after CP3 for quite some time was very low-profile and low-budget stuff (e.g. she filmed DMXN after CP3, which...well, it was a pretty amateur production to put it mildly--even though I did enjoy parts of it). Compare this to pre-CP3 where she actually filmed a lot of high-quality dramas despite still being in school. (And she did gain quite a bit of popularity after CP3 so it's kinda weird her career took a backslide.) It wasn't until YZ casted her in MRXJ (which got very popular and then led into Gong etc) that her career "recovered".

However, I don't attribute all of this to the so-called "blacklisting". (Though it's obvious Karen was extremely mad/bitter at YM after CP3, who knows how far she actually took it.) YM herself was also in an "in-between" period after CP3 as her contract with Rosat terminated and she did not re-sign (rumour has it this is related to the fallout with TR but who knows...). So she was kinda left on her own without a management company for a bit there, probably making it hard to get good projects. Also, as she admitted herself, her rather blunt/straightforward personality likely offended a lot of "higher-ups" in the industry (especially when she was younger) so some of her "kicked-out-of-projects" incidents may have been her own (unintentional) fault. Or it may have been just something as simple as the "connections" in the industry being at play, so YM was left with a disadvantage since she didn't have these connections.

Poor Yang Mi.

She's really sick (40 deg fever) that she needs people to hold her and prevent her from falling.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/94bb95dajw1dr9nppukucj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/92e18c4djw1dr9qafxvcyj.jpg')
    喜欢一个人不就是应该让她感到幸福,让她快乐。别给他带来困扰 - 孟天楚/刑名师爷

Thanks for the updates once again mango! YM's looking good in those events, totally can't tell that she's actually so ill! Poor girl, she should just get some proper rest with a fever that high.

And wow at the pepsi event, she & Hangeng should totally act together some time. He seems like a nice gentleman too, helping YM/giving way to her in one of the shots. YM seems to have lost weight again recently but her legs do look good, definitely able to give Ady a run for her money.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

^ You may be semi-getting your wish! I read that at the press conference they mentioned a collaboration--it's rumoured to be a Pepsi mini-movie...or at least, we should be getting a few commercials out of both of them joining Pepsi. They do seem to be getting closer and closer--first they were arranged to be seated beside each other at an awards event but missed out, then they DID appear together onstage for an awards show...now they're appearing together for Pepsi promo, and may be doing more onscreen collab for that purpose. XD

Aww, HXM is so sweet--YM wasn't really able to attend the "Love in the Buff" promo event today, but HXM went. (Even though he only has a small cameo in the movie.) Apparently, when he was asked why he decided to accept the role in the movie...HXM replied that Yang Mi was his "idol" so when he heard Yang Mi was in it he came! I think he was probably joking (since I doubt the two even have scenes together in LitB) but what a nice "big brother" gesture. He seems to always have nice things to say about her (like that other time at some awards show).

Was just in the baidu forums and apparently someone mentioned that it was HXM who recommended YM for the role in "An Xiang"! Not sure if true since I never heard of it before...but quite possible!

Apparently HXM wasn't actually originally scheduled to appear for the promo, but because YM was sick and couldn't make it (except for making a quick appearance at the beginning to apologize to the fans/media for her absence), he stepped in instead to "save the event" on short notice so the fans wouldn't be disappointed. That was so nice of him!! He also mentioned that he and YM have been friends for several years which is why he agreed to cameo in the movie when the director said YM would be acting in it...I didn't realize he and YM were on such good terms?!

At any rate, YM announced she is feeling a lot better and is flying to the next city for LitB promo (so she only missed the one event). Feel bad for these actors, they don't even really get time to recover when they're sick... T_T

Another upcoming magazine cover: (the magazine was having a vote to see which one people liked better)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/697e8cebgw1dr9ts0n1czj.jpg')

Obviously cover A. The over PS for cover B has distorted YM's face to beyond recognition!!
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Cover of another magazine with the director of "Love in the Buff" to promote the movie: (The first pic really reminds me of some other actress, can't put my finger on who though... )

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i44.tinypic.com/1zce3ys.jpg')

She sort of reminds me of rosamund kwan or yammie lam in this pic. Anyhow, i didn't realize that hxm is such good friends with ym. Now it makes me wish that they can star in a project together.

Poor ym, i thought that now that she has ventured into movies, her schedule would be a bit less hectic so that she does not get sick si often or get so ill when she does fet sick. There is no break for this girl...and why is she doing the majority of the promo events when she is not even lead in most of these movies? I know that the female leads may be taking maternity leave and are not mainlanders themselves for the other movies, but why isn't zhou xun or vicky promoting hp2? Poor her.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    She sort of reminds me of rosamund kwan or yammie lam in this pic.
    She does...and the get up seems very seventies-ish?

Seems like YM looks like a lot of people sometimes.

^ Yes, I think depending on the makeup/styling YM can look quite different!

I don't get why she's attending so many of these events either but I guess that's why she's known as a workaholic! Although it definitely feels like she has more rest time than she did last year so that's an improvement I suppose...

Pics of her at the LitB promo, she was still looking rather tired/sick...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i42.tinypic.com/2ppbkb5.png')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i42.tinypic.com/fw63ye.png')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i39.tinypic.com/av556d.png')

Another one from the Pepsi event, side profile: (someone said she looks very "anime-ish" in this pic! I have to agree, especially with her sharp nose! XD)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i42.tinypic.com/353dvus.jpg')
    Last edited by mango_cake; 03-27-12 at 01:36 AM.

LitB photoshoot w/ Shawn Yue + director:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i42.tinypic.com/2m5fey9.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i40.tinypic.com/5w4du.jpg')

Another photoshoot:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i40.tinypic.com/34hey48.jpg')

Bigger close-ups of her face:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i40.tinypic.com/o932fl.png')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i44.tinypic.com/sxf1g9.png')

So kinda off-topic, but since I'm planning on watching YM's "Hong Wu Da An" after I finish "Zhen Huan Zhuan" (my current drama), I've been reading a bit into Ming dynasty history (as it's a time period I know very little about--probably mostly because not many TV series have been made about it, lol).

And lemme just say, it sounds just CRAZY! I thought the Qin dynasty was pretty insane but Ming dynasty stuff is almost as freakish...especially in the later half (starting with the emperor featured in "Hou Gong" with Ady/FSF--not a series I'm planning on watching but it did get me interested in that time period). I don't know why they're not making more dramas out of this material because there is some seriously juicy stuff--e.g. one emperor got imprisoned for most of his childhood, then later had this evil concubine twice his age who he was enamoured with, then she goes around killing all his other concubines whenever they get pregnant; but one of his sons gets secretly hidden away for many years (later to be the future emperor)...and the guy after him was super corrupt (went around doing CRAZY things) to the point where his concubines hatched a plot to murder him in his sleep, only to fail because one girl could not strangle him properly (apparently tied a knot that could not tighten, how stupid is that...T_T) so then they all got gruesomely put to death...and that is just the tip of the iceberg it seems! O_o Well, HWDA occurs during the "normal" part of that dynasty so guess I won't be seeing any of that craziness unfold onscreen for awhile yet--too bad!

Just saw the trailer for "Wang De Sheng Yan" (http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/1...eId=0_06_02_99) and now I'm not too disappointed Yang Mi had to back out of that movie--the trailer looks super creepy (and not in the way I like, lol)...definitely not my kind of movie. T_T I was really interested to see how this one would compare to HMY but I think I prefer the style of HMY better (even though admittedly it is more "idol"-ish than serious historical...but sometimes I prefer that more ^_^). (Also there are barely any shots of the ladies in WDSY--except one quick one of I think Qin Lan??)

I mean, it looks like a grand production and well-made movie...just definitely not my cup of tea! (Looks more like a gruesome historical horror movie... O_o)
    Last edited by mango_cake; 03-27-12 at 02:26 AM.

Yeah, the Ming Dynasty is actually mildly fascinating to me, because the dynasty was very economically successful [i think? I mean after all there was zheng he...] despite its fatuous emperors :P

I remember reading about how one of the emperor was actually illiterate [and all the emperor(s) doing crazy things like Mango_cake mentioned] after watching Strange Hero because I thought the writers took great liberties with the emperor and Yan Song [probably the second most corrupt official in chinese history after He Shen after brushing my rudimentary knowledge on wiki,lmao]

Now I feel like watching that drama because it's in the Ming Dynasty and has YM, I didn't even know she had a Ming dynasty drama, even if it's not a big role. [And I was looking at Qing Cheng Xue stills and realised I like Ming Dynasty female outfits as well, I'm terrible with all the different dynasty outfits and didn't know the difference between normal "han" (tang?) dresses and Ming ones :P]

And why does YM looks kind of like another chinese actress in #5952, maybe it's ps but her face shape resembles and make up resembles the classy LBB dresses a bit, the second photoshoot. I don't really mind because I'm glad she's over her "cheap sexy" photoshoot phrase [don't know how to phrase it to make it sound less crude then I mean to]...

Plus, didn't YM say she'd like to travel back to the Ming Dynasty to see how the Hong Wen emperor went from living in a monastery to becoming an emperor
    Last edited by ice_mountain23; 03-27-12 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ice_mountain23 View Post
    Yeah, the Ming Dynasty is actually mildly fascinating to me, because the dynasty was very economically successful [i think? I mean after all there was zheng he...] despite its fatuous emperors :P

I remember reading about how one of the emperor was actually illiterate [and all the emperor(s) doing crazy things like Mango_cake mentioned] after watching Strange Hero because I thought the writers took great liberties with the emperor and Yan Song [probably the second most corrupt official in chinese history after He Shen after brushing my rudimentary knowledge on wiki,lmao]
    Ming Dynasty was one crazy time period in terms of emperors. I remember someone once commented that the Zhu clan has the most maniacal genetics of all dynastic ruling houses. And I totally agree! Zhu Yuanzhang was one psychotic dude and so was most of his descendants. And we also have one emperor (Hongzhi) who only had one official wife and no concubines! I admire him very much!

I think the Ming Dynasty became very closed off after YongLe(emperor who financed Zheng He's expeditions) due to coastal pirates, so they didn't grow economically/technologically as much as Song or even the Tang Dynasty (<---I may be wrong though. That's my general impression). Ming Dynasty somehow gave me the image of boom in vernacular literature (novels), crazily corrupt eunuchs, incompetent emperors, and stagnant growth due to their xenophobia.

But in terms of economic development, the Song Dynasty was actually the most economically-oriented dynasty in Chinese history, leading to the growth/prosperity of the Jiangnan region and the colonization of 岭南 Lingnan or today's Guangdong/Hainan/Guangxi provinces. However, also due to their money-making mindedness, the Song Dynasty also neglected in their military; therefore, we see all these invasions from outsiders (first Khitans, later the prototype Jurchen/Manchurian or Jins, and finally the Mongols).

Sorry for the digression from YM related news. I couldn't help myself but rant about Chinese history.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 03-28-12 at 01:30 AM.
    Need to stop being lazy...

I glimpse 'Mini' Yang...so it really is her official English name? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/681ab3edgw1drfqqx09zgj.jpg')
    Last edited by H.Ge-C.Liu; 03-28-12 at 07:52 AM.
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    Ming Dynasty was one crazy time period in terms of emperors. I remember someone once commented that the Zhu clan has the most maniacal genetics of all dynastic ruling houses. And I totally agree! Zhu Yuanzhang was one psychotic dude and so was most of his descendants. And we also have one emperor (Hongzhi) who only had one official wife and no concubines! I admire him very much!

I think the Ming Dynasty became very closed off after YongLe(emperor who financed Zheng He's expeditions) due to coastal pirates, so they didn't grow economically/technologically as much as Song or even the Tang Dynasty (<---I may be wrong though. That's my general impression). Ming Dynasty somehow gave me the image of boom in vernacular literature (novels), crazily corrupt eunuchs, incompetent emperors, and stagnant growth due to their xenophobia.

But in terms of economic development, the Song Dynasty was actually the most economically-oriented dynasty in Chinese history, leading to the growth/prosperity of the Jiangnan region and the colonization of 岭南 Lingnan or today's Guangdong/Hainan/Guangxi provinces. However, also due to their money-making mindedness, the Song Dynasty also neglected in their military; therefore, we see all these invasions from outsiders (first Khitans, later the prototype Jurchen/Manchurian or Jins, and finally the Mongols).

Sorry for the digression from YM related news. I couldn't help myself but rant about Chinese history.
    That's super interesting/informative.

It seems like Yang Mi would be back to dramaland soon. I heard Harwick Lau and her were going to co-star together in a new drama "盛夏晚晴天". This drama will have the same writer as SWAK and Harwick is the producer. Hopefully this drama would not be disappointing like Ru Yi

^ Yup, YM's fans have apparently decided they are going to pretend YM is taking a long vacation in the next few months. The reason for this being, apparently she is filming that movie with Hawick in March, and THEN is going to film this upcoming TV series also with him. (To the extreme disappointment of most of her fans who hate Hawick, ROFL. It is hilarious that I actually had to go to Hawick's baidu forum to find news of this TV series, because it appears YM's fans are boycotting it. In fact, the one post related to it in YM's forum was a few days ago with someone posting a "warning" to all YM fans that one of their worst nightmares was coming true, and everyone proceeded to start ranting on about it. )

But I probably will go along with the "pretend vacation" thing too...one reason being, I bet her fans are not going to bother with any news related to Hawick (it still makes me LOL at how they avoid it like the plague...) so I probably won't hear about most of it in the first place. And second of all, both projects sound completely boring--typical modern-day romance story etc. (The plot of the TV series is something like, after a few years of marriage this girl discovers her husband is cheating on her so they get a divorce; some rich guy proposes they get married for political-type reasons so she agrees, since she is all disillusioned with love...and I bet the cliche thing happens where then they fall in love blah blah blah...lol.) I'd probably check it out if she were paired up with an actor I loved (e.g. the way I sat through MingYun for FengMi despite it being otherwise super dull) but if it's Hawick again...ehhhh, not interested. (Fortunately I have lots of other series/movies to occupy my time instead. )

I hope this is the last of their onscreen collabs--I don't really care if they're dating in real life (as long as they're happy) but there is no need to keep pairing them up onscreen, especially when it's a pairing that doesn't exactly work. This may be partly Mei Ah's doing since Hawick is also managed by them now and they are supposedly the ones producing the TV series--with most of the cast also being their artists (hence people accusing them of using YM's popularity to boost up the popularity of their other actors...). To be honest, if YM HAD to collaborate with Hawick in a TV series, I wish she would've done so in "Night of Spring" as that one is a costume series more to my taste (plus she could've worked with Yuan Hong again! Apparently she was offered that role first but she turned it down so it went to TLY...who I love too, but if I had a choice it would definitely be "Night of Spring" over this cliche-sounding modern series).