Thread: Any special stuff from HK worth wishlisting?

Question Any special stuff from HK worth wishlisting?

A family member of mine is going to HK and she ask me if I wanted something from HK. What does HK have that no other place have?

Are CDs and posters of HK singers and actors cheaper in HK?

I want to know my options so I can ask for a special and unique gift.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 04-12-09 at 07:02 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Is there anything you see in HK movies/TV shows that you want and can't get locally? Or perhaps there's some wuxia/photo book you've not been able to find.

A visitor's guide to movie shopping in Hong Kong (~2006):
    http://www.kowloonside.com/extras/shopping/index.html

Hong Kong actually has a lot of things, but don't think that it will be cheaper. Things in HK are actually really expensive just like how they are in the US because they used to be ruled by the British. One time my friend got some limited edition calenders, but that was it.

I guess you can ask for some oriental stuff like knots or clothing that you can't get in the states. But in terms of TV series or CDs, you may be able to buy it for cheaper here than in HK.
    Last edited by Trinie; 04-13-09 at 03:39 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

What's special about HK? Food!!! If your family member is flying back to N. America straight from HK and will be able to see you shortly after she gets off the plane, maybe she can get you a wife cake from Hang Heung. Of course, the best would be if it was fresh, but if you can get to it soon enough....

http://www.fotop.net/Gemini/restlopo/IMGP1993

Trinie is absolutely right. Stuffs in HK cost as much if not more than in the US. That being said, your relative can get you a GSM cellphone. Asia has many phones that aren't available in the US. On the way back, they can grab you a few boxes of Dragon's Beard candies at HK airport.

^
    yeah get a gsm cell ^^
    the lg ice cream is really cute <3

I bought this at the airport for a coworker as a souvenir
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post
    Trinie is absolutely right. Stuffs in HK cost as much if not more than in the US. That being said, your relative can get you a GSM cellphone. Asia has many phones that aren't available in the US. On the way back, they can grab you a few boxes of Dragon's Beard candies at HK airport.
    Last edited by stn9384; 04-21-09 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    A family member of mine is going to HK and she ask me if I wanted something from HK. What does HK have that no other place have?

Are CDs and posters of HK singers and actors cheaper in HK?

I want to know my options so I can ask for a special and unique gift.
    Depends where one shops. Looks like you want CDs and posters...they can be cheaper than the American dollar.

Something generic to HK (not that its a particulary generic country, it being basically capitalist and gain a lot of its products from imports) may not necessarily be something that you like or think is unique. Maybe make a list of your own potential 'likes' and leave your friend to find them for you - if you note only one thing or two, it may probably drive them crazy. Because from experience, shopping in HK (if one is not totally savvy about where things can be bought...some natives sometimes have no clue where to buy specific items), can be a braintwister.