Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunflower manual vs other martial arts

Default Sunflower manual vs other martial arts

How does the martial arts in the Sunflower manual compare with the other martial arts in LOCH, ROCH, HSDS and DGSD?

Was Dongfang Bubai who practiced the incomplete Sunflower manual on par with the LOCH/ROCH greats? If so how powerful would the complete Sunflower manual be? Is it perhaps the most powerful martial arts?

IIRC, Jin Yong said in an interview that Sunflower is inferior to Dugu 9 Swords.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

so was the sunflower manual originally a sword style martial arts? or did dong fan bu bai just used needles because he/she became girly?

oops forgot to use edit button, if dong fan bu bai had incomplete version? did one lin pinzhi learn the full version? how come he didn't get as strong? is it because his internal energy is still too low?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    IIRC, Jin Yong said in an interview that Sunflower is inferior to Dugu 9 Swords.
    If that is true, then I would take that comment from Jin Yong with a pinch of salt. Dongfang Bubai who had practiced the incomplete manual was able to have the upper hand against Linghu Chong, Ren Woxing and Xiang Wentian all 3 at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Mido-Ban View Post
    so was the sunflower manual originally a sword style martial arts? or did dong fan bu bai just used needles because he/she became girly?
    Sunflower = sword style, as Jin Yong said in an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    If that is true, then I would take that comment from Jin Yong with a pinch of salt. Dongfang Bubai who had practiced the incomplete manual was able to have the upper hand against Linghu Chong, Ren Woxing and Xiang Wentian all 3 at once.
    Don't forget that Dugu 9 Swords is an orthodox art, while Sunflower is very unorthodox. Orthodox arts start slow, but improve faster gradually. Unorthodox ones are the opposite: they start with a bang but improve slowly thereafter. Sunflower Script is perhaps the best example of this. By cutting off a body part, the practitioner gains instant boost.

Since Linghu Chong only learned Dugu 9 Swords for a short time (compared to DFBB's 10+ years of Sunflower), it's understandable that he is no match for Dongfang yet. Furthermore, DFBB was already a magnificent fighter before Sunflower. If we take the Chong'er who practiced Dugu 9 Swords for 10+ years, the result might be different./

Well, its not a fair comparison because DG9J cheats with the caveat of ending with the idea of : 'Forget DG9J, be yourself and be as strong as you can be without inhibition'.

I can append that line to every other kung-fu and it automatically becomes #1. e.g. "Forget the name and stances of Founder's Long Fist! Learn to absorb people's inner energy, create impenetrable force fields and shoot laser swords from your fingers!". Does that make my Founder's Long Fist Version 2 manual more powerful?

Heck, you can do a 1 line kung-fu manual the is #1 in the world, just scribble "See that Sweeper Monk dude? Be enlightened like him mmmkay?" on a piece of paper and I can claim that my 'manual' is #1 too!

OK, Ok, my point is that its a bit of a circular argument because DG9J was meant to be #1 by freeing the practitioner from all restraints and not limiting himself. The main question is how the heck do you go about acheiving that? Its one of those easier said than done things.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Don't forget that Dugu 9 Swords is an orthodox art, while Sunflower is very unorthodox. Orthodox arts start slow, but improve faster gradually. Unorthodox ones are the opposite: they start with a bang but improve slowly thereafter. Sunflower Script is perhaps the best example of this. By cutting off a body part, the practitioner gains instant boost.
    The speed with which LHC advanced is more consistent with your definition of unorthodox arts.

In fact, FCY is from the so called sword faction, which is said to be stronger than the internal faction in the beginning but weaker as time goes on, i.e your definition of unorthodox.
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

I think the Orthodox vs Unorthodox thing is just self promoting mumbo jumbo. Don't do their thing, cause it's a shortcut. Blah blah blah. Stay on the straight and narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    The speed with which LHC advanced is more consistent with your definition of unorthodox arts.

In fact, FCY is from the so called sword faction, which is said to be stronger than the internal faction in the beginning but weaker as time goes on, i.e your definition of unorthodox.
    Unorthodox arts have another defining attribute: they're extremely dangerous to practice (or require some self-sacrifice). DG9J doesn't fit that.

I guess orthodox arts CAN yield immediate results, though it's usually not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    Keep in mind that it was (Mr. Narrow Minded) Yue Buqun who said this. From what we saw of the sword faction, their swordsmanship was far superior to the qi faction and their levels of internal development were comparable - they were not overall weaker after all that time at all. Plus FCY, of the sword faction, could probably single-handedly curb-stomp the entire qi faction at any age!

Is it perhaps the most powerful martial arts?
    Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

im surprise we havnt discuss about any top eunuch fighters

Thanks for all your responses. I still feel like my original question remains unanswered as to how would the complete Sunflower manual compare with the martials arts of LOCH, ROCH, HSDS and DGSD?

I guess no one wants to stand up and say that since even the incomplete Sunflower seems more powerful than LOCH Greats, then the complete Sunflower would trump the Greats easily.

But somehow, I just don't think Jin Yong intended the Sunflower to be more powerful than the Greats' MAs, considering he actually said that Sunflower < Dugu 9 Swords, which I don't see as much better than the Great-level art of Taiji.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I guess no one wants to stand up and say that since even the incomplete Sunflower seems more powerful than LOCH Greats, then the complete Sunflower would trump the Greats easily.

But somehow, I just don't think Jin Yong intended the Sunflower to be more powerful than the Greats' MAs, considering he actually said that Sunflower < Dugu 9 Swords, which I don't see as much better than the Great-level art of Taiji.
    even with incomplete version, DFBB took on 3 elite lvl fighters of his time who imo had no formation when fighting him...he could easily triumph in hsds era besides ZWJ.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dai Hiep View Post
    even with incomplete version, DFBB took on 3 elite lvl fighters of his time who imo had no formation when fighting him...he could easily triumph in hsds era besides ZWJ.....
    Agreed, he would definitely triumph

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    I think the Orthodox vs Unorthodox thing is just self promoting mumbo jumbo. Don't do their thing, cause it's a shortcut. Blah blah blah. Stay on the straight and narrow.
    yeh this as long u seclude urself and look after ur body then the after affects will be slowly limited....

How does the martial arts in the Sunflower manual compare with the other martial arts in LOCH, ROCH, HSDS and DGSD?

Was Dongfang Bubai who practiced the incomplete Sunflower manual on par with the LOCH/ROCH greats? If so how powerful would the complete Sunflower manual be? Is it perhaps the most powerful martial arts?
    SunflowerManual/PixieSwordplay is as good as LOCH/ROCH/HSDS elite martial arts but SM/PS require big sacrifice while martial arts from LOCH/ROCH/HSDS don't require any.