Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Snow is Red

ok i was too quick to judge. saw some of the middle parts with my mom and mimi killed a lot of people lol! i don't know if she's most pitiful anymore hehe.. it's hard to say because if she doesn't kill them she'll be the one to get killed. so i really can't say who's right or wrong. but i know the one person she shouldn't have tried to kill was lawrence. he's the most likable character! he was so nice to her since they were small (the boy who played the little tian sheung was so cute too!) i guess mimi could have chosen a different path for herself even tho david done her wrong in the beginning. she did so much for love that i feel tired for her.
    i luv c~H~a~R~m~A~i~N~e

she also killed one of her student and herlover just to prove a point. the lover was kinda of a jerk, but the girl was quite nice, I think (we only saw a bit of her before she died, so can't say for sure). the girl wasn't disloyal or anything, she just wanted to run off w/ her lover.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticDust View Post
    she also killed one of her student and herlover just to prove a point. the lover was kinda of a jerk, but the girl was quite nice, I think (we only saw a bit of her before she died, so can't say for sure). the girl wasn't disloyal or anything, she just wanted to run off w/ her lover.
    She admitted she play favourites. She loves Kong Suet the most because Kong Suet is the most capable and intelligent. Loyalty doesn't mean much to her. When Kong Suet wanted to leave the sect because Fong Siu Nam asked her to, Siu Fung didn't kill her. She just asked her to pass through the standard sect punishment. And she gave Kong Suet chances again and again.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    She admitted she play favourites. She loves Kong Suet the most because Kong Suet is the most capable and intelligent. Loyalty doesn't mean much to her. When Kong Suet wanted to leave the sect because Fong Siu Nam asked her to, Siu Fung didn't kill her. She just asked her to pass through the standard sect punishment. And she gave Kong Suet chances again and again.
    Which made me like Pou Hong Ngok even more. While Wan Mung Lin understandably got into all kinds of jealousies and hated Kong Suet with a passion, Pou Hong Ngok just continued doing her job as the eldest disciple, never wavering in her duties and loyalties to her master, and even being reasonable to all her martial sisters.

Must have been a while for me, though - I don't recall another fourth sister among the disciples (the one who got killed trying to elope). Was she one of the robed kelefes or one of the nicely-dressed protagonist types?

i think the fourth sis was shown a bit in the earlier eps. i think kristy mentioned they were friends. but that was it she got only a flashback.
    i luv c~H~a~R~m~A~i~N~e

I think Po Hong Ngok greatly admired Lip Siu Fung too much to be jealous of anything else. She wasn't in it for the power or greed, she just wanted repay her teacher who brought her up with complete devotion and wanted to be just like her. She was ruthless, clever, decisive and brave - just like Lip Siu Fung. In fact, I was moved when she was willing to die for her teacher. Much better than Gong Suet who just walked away from her helpless mother at the end.

Wan Mo Lin was only in it for the power. But she has no redeeming qualities at all. She was cruel for no reason at all and was stupid, rash and self-important. She is a good fighter and that is all she is. I dont get why she thinks Lip Siu Fung will give her the sect when Mui Gong Suet and Po Hong Ngok are there. Don't really feel sorry for her.

The more I watch this series, the more disappointed I am with Gong Suet. I admire her selflessness but it gets too much to bear at times. I would have been happier for her if she left her sect of her own accord (she certainly felt that her teacher was evil) rather than at the request of Fong Siu Nam. So glad that that she ran off with her dad at the end rather than end with with that idiot.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

i really miss the 90s. i really don't like the special effects nowadays esp with the mainland series; they really overdo it that it doesn't even look real anymore. i'm going back to watch old series because i really can't find any good wuxia series to watch now. either i haven't looked hard enough or there just isn't any now.
    i luv c~H~a~R~m~A~i~N~e

Quote Originally Posted by mSsHoRtCaKe View Post
    i really miss the 90s. i really don't like the special effects nowadays esp with the mainland series; they really overdo it that it doesn't even look real anymore. i'm going back to watch old series because i really can't find any good wuxia series to watch now. either i haven't looked hard enough or there just isn't any now.
    I think 80's had the best casts but stupid looking special effects and 90's had the best mix of casts vs special effects. Nowadays, it all seems to be shooting wind or rays or fire at people. It is visually spectacular but there is no longer a romantic feeling when top fighters fight with hands and weapons cos they just move too fast. I am watching ATV war series now - currently rewatching "Heroine of the Yangs" - great stuff.

BTW, what is Lawrence up to nowadays? Haven't seen him since "Off Pedder" last year. Is he still with TVB? Love him in "The Snow is Red" and "The Great General (?? where he plays Jeen Chiu and likes Erica)".
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Her name is Kristy Yeung (or Yang)

Last edited by Nan Ling; 01-21-15 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I think Lawrence and Bonnie were the pair that really understood what true love was. Everyone else had really unhealthy relationships even though they had a lot of passion. But I have trouble understanding the relationship between Bonnie and Norman. They do genuinely care for each other. Are they just good friends or does he have a crush on her? She won't like him because she has Lawrence.
    Cyril Connolly

I think they were probably just good friends. I'm not sure if Norman have a crush on bonnie because he did wanted revenge for her. I think Bonnie initially use him to learn his martial arts but then know him better and became friends. The part where she was talking to Lawrence dead body in the ice room made me cry so much... So sad and touching....

I have to agree everyone else had an unhealthy relationship. Feel bad for wong yim na as she really love the guy and he had a change of heart. She really cherish the relationship. I thought she would end up with the younger brother.

I think they were probably just good friends. I'm not sure if Norman have a crush on bonnie because he did wanted revenge for her. I think Bonnie initially use him to learn his martial arts but then know him better and became friends. The part where she was talking to Lawrence dead body in the ice room made me cry so much... So sad and touching....

I have to agree everyone else had an unhealthy relationship. Feel bad for wong yim na as she really love the guy and he had a change of heart. She really cherish the relationship. I thought she would end up with the younger brother.
    Oh! Wong Yim Na's character was supposed to be with FSN in the novel. HE got three!

I think Bonnie and Lawrence are the only couple that have managed to show that love is above appearance, above good vs evil, above give or take and above life and death. They just simply love one another selflessly for who the person is, accept them for who they are whatever sect they come from and don't let anyone get in between. I felt so bad that he died so quickly after they reunited. Chan Tin Seung is the true man in this series. PSN is a jerk. Luo Yuan is selfish. Kwok Sang is a coward.
    Cyril Connolly

I don't remember what happens to wong yim na's character in the end. In the beginning I thought she would like or end up with fsn as well. It seem like the guy she love in the series was quick to judge fsn but he was not responsible for his own actions.

Seems like all the guys were jerks. Feel so bad for michelle's character as well.

Hehe Love Chan tin seung. I agree with you, they stay together and do not care what others think. Thought it was interesting that she was disfigure and he was blind. Shows beauty is inside, don't matter what you look like on the outside.

I don't remember what happens to wong yim na's character in the end. In the beginning I thought she would like or end up with fsn as well. It seem like the guy she love in the series was quick to judge fsn but he was not responsible for his own actions.
    Didn't she get killed by Lip Siu Fung or died trying to kill her? Can't remember the details. That guy sucks.

Seems like all the guys were jerks. Feel so bad for michelle's character as well.
    Kok Sang was jerk. I understand why he had to leave because they were of different sects but he didn't need to betray Michelle when she came to him for help as a last resort. Never understood why Lip Siu Fung did not kill him in all those years. Is it because her mum really loved him?

Hehe Love Chan tin seung. I agree with you, they stay together and do not care what others think. Thought it was interesting that she was disfigure and he was blind. Shows beauty is inside, don't matter what you look like on the outside.
    Exactly. I think Chan Tin Seung is Lawrence's greatest ATV role. CHin Chiu was good but CTS is more expressive. I cried when CTS died.
    Cyril Connolly

Wong Yim Na died because she coated her body with poison to try and trick Lip Siu Fung into touching her. I think she succeeded, but I can't remember how Siu Fung survived that - maybe the poison wasn't strong enough or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Wong Yim Na died because she coated her body with poison to try and trick Lip Siu Fung into touching her. I think she succeeded, but I can't remember how Siu Fung survived that - maybe the poison wasn't strong enough or something.
    awww how sad..... Aside from alice, I feel bad for all the female casts...
    Was wong yim na trying to get revenge for that guy? Gosh I have to go back and rewatch this series at a later time.

That is true, I wonder why lip siu fung go and kill him, I doubt she even consider him her dad. Cause the mom to die. He was the worst!!!

I agree CTS is Lawrence best role. I think he was also very good and very expressive as well in justice pao. For the scholar role, He showed how he was embarrass with his mom's profession, he show regret really well also. His other role as yang wan was also good and very tragic... I wonder why he is always stuck playing villians after snow is red. But he was a very good villain in swordsman...

I agree CTS is Lawrence best role. I think he was also very good and very expressive as well in justice pao. For the scholar role, He showed how he was embarrass with his mom's profession, he show regret really well also. His other role as yang wan was also good and very tragic... I wonder why he is always stuck playing villians after snow is red. But he was a very good villain in swordsman...
    I never got why ATV preferred Andrew to Lawrence. But I knew Lawrence was involved in a scandal with a rich other woman at the time.

I think after the versatile ones like Kwong Wah, Nick Cheung, Jackie Lui left, ATV got left with with Gilbert and Lawrence and a hunch of newbies. ATV then started to cooperate with Taiwan and give the Taiwanese actors the leads.

I remember Lawrence as the scholar who killed his prostitute mum in Justice Bao. It was a short but sad story but very good from both artistes. I don't agree with the killing but he was very hesistant and his mum willingly died for him. BTW, the actress who played his mum also played Princess Wan Lor in Magic Crane.

Lawrence was great as Chor Kong Nam (?) In Swordsman. But the story was weird and the pairings were

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    In fact, I was moved when she was willing to die for her teacher. Much better than Gong Suet who just walked away from her helpless mother at the end.
    This is one aspect I don't like about Gong Suet. She was kind to everyone but her own mother. Maybe her compassion towards her mother has been scarred by years of watching her mother's ruthlessness. But, I felt she's was a bit unfair when it comes to the different way she treat her mother and father. It's her mother who brought her up. Again and again she betrayed her mother but, her still still lenient to her despite not knowing she's her daughter. One can see her mother's love towards her.

I felt the series storyline has a weakness. It's repetitive. It's always Lip Siu Fung try some scheme attack wulin and sabotage by Gong Suet, and story repeat. Also, after watch the whole series, I still don't know what's the aim of Siu Fung's Ming Ngok. What did she hope to achieve. I remember there was a scene where she said in front of her tomb that now some many years, her Ming Ngok Sect has some achievement. What achievement? Scaring wulin?