Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Translation Complete: Tianya, Mingyue, Dao [天涯,明月,刀]

Default Translation Complete: Tianya, Mingyue, Dao [天涯,明月,刀]

For those who are interested, I wanted to report that, thanks to the combined efforts of myself and chowbeng, the Gulong novel 天涯,明月,刀 has been fully translated in our translation forums, and can be found here.

I firmly believe that this may very well the best wuxia novel I have ever read. It is an exemplar of Gulong's strengths as a writer, but is, in my opinion, almost devoid of Gulong's usual flaws. It tugs as the emotion and draws the reader in as many Gulong novels do, but it is also a very complete, very 'finished' book, which isn't always the case with Gulong novels. The dialogue is strong, and the philosophy within is deep without sounding artificial or preachy. There is, imho, very little of the stupid deus-ex-machina which plagues many Gulong novels; ie, no 'super powerful characters' that pop out of nowhere, perform a brief role for the sake of moving the story along, then are never heard of or never discussed again (I am particularly reminded of the Parrots of Echo Valley in a certain translation by Athena). Every character that you care about has a real, meaningful ending, with nobody dropping off the face of the earth. The human interactions are believable, and nearly every single twist and turn in the compelling story is foreshadowed, sometimes long in advance.

In short, I highly recommend this book. My previous favorite martial arts novel was XAJH; it has been wholly supplanted this novel. This novel has made a Gulong fan out of me, and I bow before the master.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

congrats RWX.... wow this novel is even better XAJH eh? Why don't you guys try to get these things published? I"m sure there's a market out there. Is it tough getting the permission from GL's family?

Excellent Job! Thanks to the 2 of you!

This joins Duo Qing Jian Ke Wu Qing Jian as my favourite GL stories.

Eagles in September SUCKS MAJOR butt compared to this one.

Along the way, I was wondering WTF some of the characters were up to and thought it was the usual GL plot black holes but the ending wrapped things up pretty well.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I also like 天涯,明月,刀 a lot, it is very different from other Gu Long works and is one of my favourites. Also the reason why Fu Hongxue is one of my favourite Gu Long characters.

Congrats on finishing the translation.
    玉木宏

blog

Do you guys think that bordertown is a stronger novel, narrative wise as compared to its two "sequels"?

Btw, in case i haven't thank you enough, another round of thanks for translating one of my favourite stories.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Awesome job RWX! As I expressed in the translation thread, this is also my favorite wuxia novel, and its ending is probably one of my favorites of any work. What other story has an ending in which the hero turns the villain's life around and the two of them both have happy endings!

And as you can see from my sig for quite some time, it also has one of the wittiest lines I've read from GL.

Just overall, the wordplay and imagery in the novel are first-rate.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Do you guys think that bordertown is a stronger novel, narrative wise as compared to its two "sequels"?

Btw, in case i haven't thank you enough, another round of thanks for translating one of my favourite stories.

Han Solo
    I felt that the writing style in Bordertown is just as good as TYMYD. The only difference is Bordertown didn't have the sense of urgency that TYMYD had. It kind of loses its steam halfway into the book and meanders around for quite a bit and finally stumbles to its climax (which is kind of why I lost steam in my translation as well).
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Was always looking for a chance to discuss this book, now I get the chance since the book is completely translated for all to peruse.

Some tidbits:
    I always thought Gongzi Yu was one of Gu Long's most fearsome and flawless villains. In case anyone missed it, he is also Shen Lang's successor. If you think about it, the entire book was Gongzi Yu's plot unfolding perfectly from the very start.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    His plot was to find a successor and every single event in the novel was as he had planned. Even though Fu Hongxue thrashed every single lackey that Gongzi Yu threw at him, this was exactly how Gongzi Yu had planned it too. The only thing he didn't account for was Fu Hongxue's sudden appreciation for life.
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Where was it indicated that Gongzi Yu was Shen Lang's successor? I think I must have missed it too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Where was it indicated that Gongzi Yu was Shen Lang's successor? I think I must have missed it too!
    It was in one of the early chapters when Yan Nanfei first told Fu Hongxue about Gongzi Yu ..

Yan Nanfei laughed coldly, "Jianghu of today without a doubt belongs to Gongzi Yu." The winecup was full again, he again quaffed it down in one go. "He not only have close ties with the Imperial family, he is also Shen Lang's only successor. He is famous, charming and suave. Excellent in literary arts and unmatched martial skills. A great swordman!"
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Oh, you're right! Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, I missed that, it was before I started the translation

You know the one thing that always kind of confused me about the whole YK/FHX trilogy was the order in which they were written and the order of the actual novels. Basically, TYMYD was written before BCLZ even though BCLZ is a prequel to both TYMYD and JYYF. The thing that irks me is that Fu Hongxue's origin and the big twist that is the ending of BCLZ is already revealed in TYMYD.
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Eh, shen lang's only successor- Ah Fei!!!

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Eh, shen lang's only successor- Ah Fei!!!

Han Solo
    And the quintessential ELOC of the Flying Dagger series, Shen Hongye!
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Don't really see how Gongzi Yu can be Shen Lang's successor though.

BTW, during the last chapter the description of FHX's state of mind was similar to what Old Man Sun described in 'Duo Qing Jian Ke' as the 'highest attainment of kung-fu'. No self, no victory or defeat. It rather convinces me that at that moment, he had joined the ranks of legends like Little Li. At that moment, I would bet on him against Shangguan Jinhong.
    Last edited by CC; 06-21-09 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Don't really see how Gongzi Yu can be Shen Lang's successor though.

BTW, during the last chapter the description of FHX's state of mind was similar to what Old Man Sun described in 'Duo Qing Jian Ke' as the 'highest attainment of kung-fu'. No self, no victory or defeat. It rather convinces me that at that moment, he had joined the ranks of legends like Little Li. At that moment, I would bet on him against Shangguan Jinhong.
    I agree; when I was translating it, I was actually thinking, 'wow, this is higher than what LXH and SGGJ achieved as of DQJKWQJ'.

For reference,

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Sun, DQJKWQJ
    "So what then is the highest level of martial arts?" the young girl asked.

"When the hands are empty and the heart is empty, the weapon and the self become one. If they can comprehend this much, then they won't be off by far." the old man said.

"They won't be off by far? You mean that level isn't the highest either?" the young girl exclaimed.

"Yes, there is still one level higher." the old man said.

"The ultimate level of martial arts is when everything arises from nothing. There is no weapon and no self. Weapon and self are both forgotten. This is true formlessness, this is true omnipotence." the old man said explained.

At this point, neither Li XunHuan or ShangGuan JinHong dared to change the look on their faces.

"After hearing your explanation, I suddenly remembered a story." the little girl said.

"Hmm?" the old man replied.

"There is a story in Zen Buddhism, when the head student of the Fifth Patriarch, Shen-Hsiu, recited a verse:

'The body is like the Bodhi Tree,
    the mind is like a mirror bright.
    Every moment we work to keep it clean,
    and let no dust alight.'

This was already an extremely high level of Enlightenment." the young girl said.

"Yes, this is similar to the idea of 'the weapon is not in hand, but in the heart'. Reaching this level is not easy at all." the old man said.

"But the future Six Patriarch Hui Neng answered with an even deeper verse:

'There is no Bodhi tree, nor is there a mirror bright.
    There is nothing and nothing will be,
    where would the dust alight?'
    And thus he became the most revered figure of Zen Buddhism." the little girl said.

"Correct, that really is the highest level of Enlightenment. If one can reach that level, then one is in the company of gods and immortals." the old man said.

"If that is so, then the theories you are teaching me are the same as Zen Buddhism?" she asked.

"In all matters of the world, when one reaches the highest level, the theories are not much different than from everything else." the old man replied.

"So in everything we do, we must strive for 'No object, no self', because only then can we reach the pinnacle of perfection." she said.
    Quote Originally Posted by TYMYD

Her laughter was graceful and elegant, her voice was sweet and warm.

But Fu Hongxue could neither see her nor hear her. He pushed the door open, walked in standing straight as a ramrod, but his walking posture was still as clumsy and laughable as ever.

But there was already nothing in the world which could hold him back. His hand naturally was still tightly gripping his sabre.

[....]

But Fu Hongxue didn’t seem to notice, as though he had never before seen either this person, or this sword. He had already reached the state of forgetting the self, forgetting the world. These, at least, were the demands he made of himself: No life and death, no victory or defeat, no others, no self. This wasn’t just the highest level of understanding in being a person. This was also the highest level of attainment in martial arts. Only when the mind was totally clear and calm could one execute a sabre technique which surpassed everything. Not only would he surpass the boundaries of form, he would surpass the limits of speed.

[...]

Fu Hongxue’s face was totally expressionless as well. It didn’t matter if these three were his enemies, or his loved ones. If they were crying, or laughing. He didn’t care at all, because he had reached the point of listening but paying no attention, looking upon but not seeing.

Whether this battle was fair or unfair, he no longer cared anymore either.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 06-21-09 at 12:11 PM.

Yeah, I thought that 'this was above even Li!!!' but somehow I doubt GL intended for FHX to be one whole order above his much touted Little Li.

Of course, FHX's mind isn't always this clear.

One more thing I like about FHX's style is that unlike all those 'aim only for the throat' swordsman which abound in GL novels, he swings at knees, arms, heads and necks. Much more realistic.

Oh, and :

“叮”的一响,所有动作突然凝结,大地间的万事万物,在这一瞬间似已全部停顿.

傅红雪的刀已入鞘.

It looks like FHX can freeze time and space as well!
    Last edited by CC; 06-21-09 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    “叮”的一响,所有动作突然凝结,大地间的万事万物,在这一瞬间已全部停顿.

It looks like FHX can freeze time and space as well!
    It is as if everything had frozen.

Compared to Yan 13's description:

满天飞舞的落叶,忽然全都散了,本来在动的,忽然全都静止。

绝对静止。

除了这柄不停震动的剑之外,天地间已没有别的生机。
    Everything was frozen in a state of absolute stillness. Much stronger wording.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    Was always looking for a chance to discuss this book, now I get the chance since the book is completely translated for all to peruse.

Some tidbits:
    I always thought Gongzi Yu was one of Gu Long's most fearsome and flawless villains. In case anyone missed it, he is also Shen Lang's successor. If you think about it, the entire book was Gongzi Yu's plot unfolding perfectly from the very start.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    His plot was to find a successor and every single event in the novel was as he had planned. Even though Fu Hongxue thrashed every single lackey that Gongzi Yu threw at him, this was exactly how Gongzi Yu had planned it too. The only thing he didn't account for was Fu Hongxue's sudden appreciation for life.

SPOILERS!!!!

What exactly do you mean by Shen Lang's successor? Do you mean this Gongzi Yu was a descendant (of Shen Lang)? Or do you mean Shen Lang once served as the symbol Gongzi Yu and that the Gongzi Yu in the novel was the guy Shen Lang trained for the Gongzi Yu role? Sorry, I only know the novel from the Ti Lung/Chor Yuen movie. Thanks.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

shen lang disappeared about 12yrs or so before sentimental swordsman and bordertown wander took place about twenty years after since lin xin'er's daughter was quite grown up during that story. given 30yrs since shen lang disappeared, it's not inconceivable that gongzi yu was shen lang's succesor even through he's quite old already. but then, he might just be using the name. off course he said he had the peacock plume dart with him from a long time back and the way shen lang killed people seemed to fit the description of people killed by the peacock plume dart. did shen lang posses the peacock plume dart, ever?
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/