Thread: Umizaru

Post Umizaru

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/umi_zaru_logo.gif')

Umizaru which literally means Sea Monkey was originally based on a manga. About the elite Japanese Coast Guard divers (the divers make up just 1% of the entire Japanese Coast Guard force), the first movie was made in 2004 by Robot (the same folks who shot the hit Bayside Shakedown films). The wildy popular film became the basis for a hit Fuji TV series Umizaru Evolution in 2005, and this year, Robot has followed up with Umizaru: The Test of Trust, which performed equally well if not better than the first film.

The original film depicted new recruits training to become salvage and rescue divers at the Japanese Coast Guard diving school. It starred Hideaki Ito (Onmyouji, Tentai Kansoku), Ai Kato, Ken Kaito, Atsushi Ito (Densha Otoko). Hideaki plays Senzaki, a former salaryman and experienced diver who seems set to graduate at the top of his class, but faces fierce competition from the equally experienced, cocky realist Mishima, played by Ken Kaito. To qualify, the team of fourteen recruits have to survive a demanding 50-day training period and as part of the training, they are paired with a 'buddy' and made responsible for each other at all times. Senzaki is dealt a blow when his instructor pairs him up with Kudo, played by Atsushi Ito - the weakest member of the team who is so woefully inadequate that everyone labels him a loser.

Ai Kato stars as Kanna, a stressed fashion magazine writer who finally gets her big break but is forced to leave Tokyo to look after her mother who has fallen ill. On one drinking spree with a girlfriend, she encounters Senzaki, who has come to town with the other recruits on their night off. Nana drags him to a nearby hotel room where she passes out.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/umizaru1.jpg')

It's quite cheesy at times especially the part where they played Journey's Open Arms but Umizaru never really takes itself too seriously and slips well between serious moments in training to chasing skirts in town and camaderie between the recruits. A feel good, entertaining movie with great eye candy and well-shot scenes, particularly the underwater ones. I wouldn't have been surprised if it managed to send many Japanese guys rushing to sign up for the Coast Guard.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 08-09-06 at 03:23 AM.

From the first movie:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Umizaru-movie.jpg')
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 06-03-07 at 05:58 AM.

Fuji TV's Umizaru Evolution starred the same two leads, Hideaki Ito and Ai Kato. Supported by Toru Nakamura, Ryuuta Satou and other cast members. The drama picks up where the movie left off. Senzaki has now become a full-fledged diver and transferred to a ship stationed in Yokohama. He and Kanna have also started dating although she seems to see him merely as a friend.

Like the movie, a similar theme about the importance of one's buddy is stressed in Umizaru Evolution. In this series, Senzaki's new buddy is Ikezawa, played by Nakamura. He is a tough guy who used to work for a more elite group of divers, and doesn't want a buddy. He thinks he can take care of himself, and has too much pride to be rescued by the likes of Senzaki. However, over the course of the drama the two learn to get along with each other.

I haven't seen the drama yet but I heard that the scenes were more exciting than in the first movie which had more scenes filmed on the seas or underwater. I presume there were fewer cheesy scenes here given the presence of Toru Nakamura and more heavyweight acting and character development over the 11 episodes. Time to catch it before heading to the cinema next week!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/UmizaruEvolution.jpg')
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 03-29-07 at 09:11 PM.

Hey thanks jade_frosts, I never noticed this thread before. Although I have never seen this movie, I could tell it's a good one.

I don't think many people here have seen this yet.

Always happy to share! Don't just watch the movies! Watch the drama too. Not that I have, but from what I've read the main characters of Daisuke and Kanna were fleshed out fully and given more depth - something the movies couldn't have offered or afforded to do. I think the great thing is that there's a mix of adventure and romance. My only grouse must be the fact that people around Daisuke keep dying. Let me put up a review after I finish watching Umizaru Evolution.

Oh yes! Have I already mentioned that Ito Hideaki did all his underwater scenes himself? Ain't that cool?! I'm totally besotted over him.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/umizaru2.jpg')

Anyone caught the latest movie?
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 08-31-06 at 08:01 AM.

Surely I heard Hideaki is a diver pro (since he has a master diver license or something along that line.) When the movie was coming out I really wanted to see it since my obsession at the time was no other than the dashing Hideaki. Fortunately Umizaru was one of the movie they were playing on JAL flight when I went to Japan. It was a good action movie. After that I did manage to see a couple of eps for the drama raw but it was kind of hard to follow without subs so I quit. It could possibly be that I didn't like the main actress so I didn't want to see her with Hideaki.

Haven't heard about his latest movie but I've been fading out from the Hideaki scene for a while now. It's kind of hard to find his other series though. I saw this movie about him (working in a club accompanying women) and he had a romance with this older women (who played Akiko's mother in my little chef). Of course I didn't know what was going on since I saw it raw.

Quote Originally Posted by Grifis
    When the movie was coming out I really wanted to see it since my obsession at the time was no other than the dashing Hideaki ... I did manage to see a couple of eps for the drama raw but it was kind of hard to follow without subs so I quit. It could possibly be that I didn't like the main actress so I didn't want to see her with Hideaki.
    Haha, well, same here! I've never quite fancied the pairing of Kato Ai and Ito Hideaki since Umizaru I but I like the men (plural since there's Nakamura Toru too ), adventure and camaderie so I guess I can put up with her.

So who's your new obsession now???

Haven't heard about his latest movie but I've been fading out from the Hideaki scene for a while now. It's kind of hard to find his other series though. I saw this movie about him (working in a club accompanying women) and he had a romance with this older women (who played Akiko's mother in my little chef). Of course I didn't know what was going on since I saw it raw.
    It is difficult to get hold of his dramas and he doesn't act in many unlike some artistes who appear in a drama or two each year. I've only seen Emergency Room 24 Hrs II, Yasha, Shiroi Kyoto (Great White Tower), and Tentai Kansoku (Searching for My Polestar). Haven't seen any of his movies besides Umizaru.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    Haha, well, same here! I've never quite fancied the pairing of Kato Ai and Ito Hideaki since Umizaru I but I like the men (plural since there's Nakamura Toru too ), adventure and camaderie so I guess I can put up with her.

So who's your new obsession now???
    Hideaki is the hottest in the bunch. I only had eyes for him. As for now, my new obsession is Kame. I never thought I would have the hot for young boys like Kamenashi. It's heaven retribution or karma I would say. I and my friends were laughing at Japanese hair style when we went there. He was like everyone seemed to have the same hair style. They look like mops. I did concur. Well the hair style of those young boys are pretty much what we laughed at. I always thought those boys look kind of girly. It could be that maybe because I'm getting older so I begin to look at young boys. Don't get me wrong. Hideaki is still in my heart and I would love to see his stuff. After all, I was crazy enough to buy the whole R2 set of Yasha eventhough I knew I wouldn't be able to fully understand it. Surely it cost me an arm and a leg.

It is difficult to get hold of his dramas and he doesn't act in many unlike some artistes who appear in a drama or two each year. I've only seen Emergency Room 24 Hrs II, Yasha, Shiroi Kyoto (Great White Tower), and Tentai Kansoku (Searching for My Polestar). Haven't seen any of his movies besides Umizaru.
    I have collected quite a few of his stuff (and they're all raws.) Let's see. I have Yasha, Ai wo kudasai (please love me), Joshiana, Kyumei Byoto 24 Ji 2 (Emergency II), Koi wo nan men sundemasu ka? (No Lover), Tentai Kanzoku (Polestar), and Onmyoji I & II. I've only watched Umizaru but didn't collect. I also saw part of Shiroi Kyoto but it was raw at the time and I couldn't follow so I quit after a few eps. I plan to get Shiroi Kyoto some time. Heard it's good.
    Last edited by Grifis; 08-31-06 at 10:04 PM.

'Umizaru' cast, crew brave frigid waters for authenticity
    The Yomiuri Shimbun

Are you feeling impatient as you wait for the end of the rainy season and the start of the hot summer months so you can go to the beach? Then envy the crew and actors of Umizaru, who are already on the beach and out at sea--albeit in water that is not as warm as you might think.

The TV drama series featuring a Japan Coast Guard rescue diving team started last week on the Fuji TV network (Tuesdays, 9 p.m.) as a spin-off of the 2004 hit film of the same name, which in turn was based on a popular comic book story. The JCG is cooperating with the production of the TV version, just as they did for the film.

The central characters of the TV version are played by the same actors and actresses from the film, which earned 1.7 billion yen at the box office. They include leading man Hideaki Ito as Daisuke Senzaki, a novice rescue diver at the Yokohama Coast Guard Office, and Ai Kato as his love interest, Kanna Izawa.

The production team is also the same as for the 2004 film.

A sequel to the TV version is to be made into another film next year, forming an unusual trilogy of two films sandwiching a TV drama.

The TV series depicts how the young diver grows as a professional rescuer. In the film version, he had just finished his 50-day training course after overcoming the tragedy of another trainee's death, and now the TV show will follow his early career on the job. Through his early missions, Senzaki is trained and supported by experienced divers and senior officials, played by actors including Saburo Tokito, Toru Nakamura, and Isao Natsuyagi.

In real life, Ito has a "Dive Master" certificate authorized by an international diving organization, PADI Japan, marking him as a diver who is skilled enough to work in the professional diving industry.

However, the difficulty of acting in the underwater film and drama is another matter. "We have to keep acting at a fixed position in moving seawater," Ito said. "But when shooting of last year's film started, it was hard for me to even stay in shot."

The actor continued: "I've got used to that, and I'm much better than before. But I sometimes feel at a loss as it's not easy when you're in the water to let others understand what you're thinking, and also to figure out what they're thinking."

In late June, in a small fishing port on the Izu Peninsula in Shizuoka Prefecture, the crew filmed a scene in which Senzaki rescues a drowning young man.

The sea is still cold in this season, and the water temperature that day was 18 C. Stoves and blankets were essential items to warm the actors and cameramen on the beach.

The atmosphere seemed very serious and tense as they had to complete the shoot in a limited time due to the severe conditions.

After rehearsing on the beach, Ito, costumed in a wet suit and entered the cold water with diving gear on his back.

Checking the shot on a monitor, the director gave detailed instructions to the crew and actors.

The actors are usually also given advice by diving coordinator Masanori Kinjo, 39.
    Based on his 23-year diving career, he gives advice on the sea conditions and tells actors and crew how to move safely and smoothly through the water.

"We have more underwater scenes for the TV version, so I'm putting safety before everything else," Kinjo said.

Producer Hirotsugu Usui said: "About 30 percent to 40 percent of the series is shot underwater. I hope viewers enjoy the missions of the rescue divers risking their own lives." (Jul. 14, 2005)

I just watched this over the weekend.... it's good!

Haven't watched many J-drama 'coz they are not that popular these days and so difficult to find!

Can anyone recommend any good ones? I like those that's more about a profession like Iryu, Pride, Umizaru, Good luck, etc .... thanks!!
    "Most men are of naught more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into shit."

-- Miles Vorkosigan quoting his grandfather (Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory")

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://my.opera.com/yoyo1983/homes/blog/jdorama_umi.jpg')

I fell in love with the theme song of this series ("Ocean" by B'z) before even watching the actual drama, and the latter certainly didn't disappoint either. It offered a solid, balanced look at the lives, relationships, and of course trials and tribulations of Japanese coast guards. A wide range of issues were covered and handled realistically for the most part. I contemplated, laughed, awwwed, and was saddened at times too. A certain death kinda irked me, though. Predictable, perhaps, but not necessary in a creative, original sense. Plus there wasn't sufficient follow-up on the culprit(s) IMO, but maybe that's beyond the scope of this series.

Kato Ai actually wasn't that annoying and I felt she had chemistry with Ito Hideaki. I'm not a fan of Hideaki's face, but he definitely has a hot body and has wide acting range. Nakamura Toru is not to be overlooked either. I really like his dark onscreen presence. Both these guys give you a feeling of being protected.

I'm looking forward to watching the two films, especially Limit of Love, which continues from the end of the series.

http://www.subwaycinema.com/frames/nyaff06_umizaru2.htm
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    I fell in love with the theme song of this series ("Ocean" by B'z) before even watching the actual drama, and the latter certainly didn't disappoint either. It offered a solid, balanced look at the lives, relationships, and of course trials and tribulations of Japanese coast guards. A wide range of issues were covered and handled realistically for the most part. I contemplated, laughed, awwwed, and was saddened at times too. A certain death kinda irked me, though. Predictable, perhaps, but not necessary in a creative, original sense. Plus there wasn't sufficient follow-up on the culprit(s) IMO, but maybe that's beyond the scope of this series.

Kato Ai actually wasn't that annoying and I felt she had chemistry with Ito Hideaki. I'm not a fan of Hideaki's face, but he definitely has a hot body and has wide acting range. Nakamura Toru is not to be overlooked either. I really like his dark onscreen presence. Both these guys give you a feeling of being protected.

I'm looking forward to watching the two films, especially Limit of Love, which continues from the end of the series.

http://www.subwaycinema.com/frames/nyaff06_umizaru2.htm
    I still haven't watched Umizaru Evolution even though I've seen the two movies but I guess I will do so once I'm done with watching Kyuumei Byoto 24-ji I & II. And I suppose I can easily figure out who was killed off in Umizaru Evolution but why him!?! Haha, I note, Lady Zhuge, that you said Kato Ai wasn't that annoying. I concede that she wasn't but like so many other roles she has played, she just rubs me the wrong way. At the rate she goes, she'll be consigned to playing weak characters or the damsel in distress. I'd definitely have preferred Ito Hideaki to be paired with someone else but I can live with Kato Ai. Just no Hasegawa Kyoko.

I can't really say I agree with the review of Umizaru: Limit of Love in that link. I personally found the sequel to be the poorer of the two movies because Umizaru, in essence, is an action movie but Umizaru: Limit of Love lets the audience down by wallowing in unnecessary melodrama and showing sequences that interrupt the tension and suspense that should buildup to a climax (possibly requiring some suspension of disbelief too). So instead of a bang, it ends in a whimper. That really irked me. The problem perhaps lies in the film's attempt to cater to all segments of the Japanese population which succeeded since it was wildly popular at the box office but definitely compromised the quality of the movie. There was word that there might be a drama sequel to Umizaru Evolution but no confirmation as yet.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/UmizaruLOL.jpg')
    From left to right, the cast of Umizaru: Limit of Love - Ito Hideaki, Kato Ai, Sato Ryuta, Otsuka Nene, Fukikoshi Mitsuru, Asami Reina, Miki Ryosuke, Ishiguro Ken, Tokito Saburo
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 03-30-07 at 02:14 AM.

I still haven't watched Umizaru Evolution even though I've seen the two movies but I guess I will do so once I'm done with watching Kyuumei Byoto 24-ji I & II. And I suppose I can easily figure out who was killed off in Umizaru Evolution but why him!?!
    Sorry if I led you to that spoiler, but yeah, there's really no good reason the way I see it. I was so mad I couldn't even feel any sadness.

Haha, I note, Lady Zhuge, that you said Kato Ai wasn't that annoying. I concede that she wasn't but like so many other roles she has played, she just rubs me the wrong way. At the rate she goes, she'll be consigned to playing weak characters or the damsel in distress. I'd definitely have preferred Ito Hideaki to be paired with someone else but I can live with Kato Ai. Just no Hasegawa Kyoko.
    Yep, key word: that. Maybe I've just grown more tolerant since I've had to put up with Kato Ai in numerous dramas in which she's pretty much played the same type of character.
    No Hasegawa Kyoko, eh? Then you must be absolutely thrilled with the casting of Kodoku no Kake! Or not.

I can't really say I agree with the review of Umizaru: Limit of Love in that link. I personally found the sequel to be the poorer of the two movies because Umizaru, in essence, is an action movie but Umizaru: Limit of Love lets the audience down by wallowing in unnecessary melodrama and showing sequences that interrupt the tension and suspense that should buildup to a climax (possibly requiring some suspension of disbelief too). So instead of a bang, it ends in a whimper. That really irked me. The problem perhaps lies in the film's attempt to cater to all segments of the Japanese population which succeeded since it was wildly popular at the box office but definitely compromised the quality of the movie. There was word that there might be a drama sequel to Umizaru Evolution but no confirmation as yet.
    I watched the two films and agree with you, jade. First off, my interpretation and opinion of the "whimper", putting two pairs of lips together does NOT constitute a real kiss! Although Limit of Love is more grandiose in scale ala the second half of Titanic, it actually came off as more shallow to me. The first movie is more like the series and I enjoyed the series more than either of the films. A sequel to Umizaru Evolution would be great as long as it maintains the same balance between personal relationships and coast guard challenges and duties. It might be difficult to come up with creative new conflicts though, as there are already some similar overlaps between the first movie and the series.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Default Links

Umizaru (first movie) PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9pUphzxms

Umizaru Evolution (series) preview trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gqb_CHLrR5Q

Limit of Love / Test of Trust (second movie) trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Dw7gzaMf8
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Sorry if I led you to that spoiler, but yeah, there's really no good reason the way I see it. I was so mad I couldn't even feel any sadness.

Yep, key word: that. Maybe I've just grown more tolerant since I've had to put up with Kato Ai in numerous dramas in which she's pretty much played the same type of character.
    No Hasegawa Kyoko, eh? Then you must be absolutely thrilled with the casting of Kodoku no Kake! Or not.

I watched the two films and agree with you, jade. First off, my interpretation and opinion of the "whimper", putting two pairs of lips together does NOT constitute a real kiss! Although Limit of Love is more grandiose in scale ala the second half of Titanic, it actually came off as more shallow to me. The first movie is more like the series and I enjoyed the series more than either of the films. A sequel to Umizaru Evolution would be great as long as it maintains the same balance between personal relationships and coast guard challenges and duties. It might be difficult to come up with creative new conflicts though, as there are already some similar overlaps between the first movie and the series.
    It's nothing to do with you. The clear absence of a certain actor in Umizaru: Limit of Love is a clear enough hint. If they have a drama sequel maybe they'll kill off Sato Ryuta's character although, like you pointed out, I wonder what new aspects the scriptwriters will come up with.

Hasekyo. Ugh ugh ugh. Stay away from Ito Hideaki!

Exactly my sentiment!!! Lady Zhuge, haven't you seen a sufficient number of recent Japanese dramas to realise that two pairs of lips pressed up together along with a closeup shot of the faces of the two lovers for a few brief seconds just before the end of an episode is now the norm in the Japanese drama world? At least that's the conclusion I've come to. I'm not sure when it started but I remember that Fukatsu Eri and Tsutsumi Shinichi did at least kiss (a sweet affectionate peck that grew into a prolonged one), even though it was just once in Koi no Chikara (Power of Love). Nakayama Miho and Toyokawa Etsushi shared a lingering, passionate kiss in Love Story. But the only one that set the screens aflame has got to be Esumi Makiko and Fujiki Naohito in Love Revolution. Other than that, I can't really recall any other kissing scenes. Oh oh, and Esumi Makiko and Sato Koichi in Dokushin Seikatsu (Single Life), that was a hungry one full of pent up need but if you notice, all these dramas seem to date back to the early years before or just after 2000. Perhaps I'm not watching enough of the recent ones to draw this conclusion but, well, this is my observation.

If they have a drama sequel maybe they'll kill off Sato Ryuta's character although, like you pointed out, I wonder what new aspects the scriptwriters will come up with.
    Exactly. If they do that, it definitely wouldn't be refreshing given the fates of Senzaki's previous buddies.

Hasekyo. Ugh ugh ugh. Stay away from Ito Hideaki!
    Hmm, I sense a potential complex pairing between the two of them in Searchin' For my Polestar. Just a coincidence given what you've said and my current viewing of this series without knowing Hasegawa was even in it.

Exactly my sentiment!!! Lady Zhuge, haven't you seen a sufficient number of recent Japanese dramas to realise that two pairs of lips pressed up together along with a closeup shot of the faces of the two lovers for a few brief seconds just before the end of an episode is now the norm in the Japanese drama world? At least that's the conclusion I've come to. I'm not sure when it started but I remember that Fukatsu Eri and Tsutsumi Shinichi did at least kiss (a sweet affectionate peck that grew into a prolonged one), even though it was just once in Koi no Chikara (Power of Love). Nakayama Miho and Toyokawa Etsushi shared a lingering, passionate kiss in Love Story. But the only one that set the screens aflame has got to be Esumi Makiko and Fujiki Naohito in Love Revolution. Other than that, I can't really recall any other kissing scenes. Oh oh, and Esumi Makiko and Sato Koichi in Dokushin Seikatsu (Single Life), that was a hungry one full of pent up need but if you notice, all these dramas seem to date back to the early years before or just after 2000. Perhaps I'm not watching enough of the recent ones to draw this conclusion but, well, this is my observation.
    I still haven't seen many of those older series you've mentioned, but yes, it certainly seems backwards to me. You'd think the current generation would be progressively less conservative.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hideaki is still in my heart and I would love to see his stuff. After all, I was crazy enough to buy the whole R2 set of Yasha eventhough I knew I wouldn't be able to fully understand it. Surely it cost me an arm and a leg.
    I remember how I bought the first volume all because my raw .avi copy of several of the episodes were corrupted. But thank goodness for CB, and then someone kindly contacted me and asked if I were to supply the raws, they'd do the translations, and now those translations are available online =)

I recently caught Hideaki in the drama Lawyer Kazu. And I actually went through Shiroi Kyoto (both seasons) raw, just for him back when it originally aired in Japan.
    Currently watching:
    K-dramas Resurrection/Rebirth, Wedding, Farewell to Tears, Rosy Life, Immortal Yi Soon Shin
    C-drama Fairytale of Twin Swords

Exactly. If they do that, it definitely wouldn't be refreshing given the fates of Senzaki's previous buddies.
    Hmm, I wish they'd kept Kaito Ken's character, Mishima, in the Umizaru Evolution but that's because I liked his cockiness. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by creidesca
    I recently caught Hideaki in the drama Lawyer Kazu. And I actually went through Shiroi Kyoto (both seasons) raw, just for him back when it originally aired in Japan.
    And yes, creidesca I absolutely heart Ito Hideaki too although that didn't make me want to watch more than the first episode of Lawyer Kuzu (Bengoshi no Kuzu). I think his best role was in Yasha where his acting ability was really put to the test having to play twins with starkly different characters, Shiroi Kyoto felt a little like reliving his role in Kyuumei Byoto 24-ji II and well, I'd say going by the performances delivered in Searchin' for My Polestar, his acting chops are better than Sakaguchi Kenji's. But Odagiri Joe's probably the most popular of the three of them.

Hmm, I sense a potential complex pairing between the two of them in Searchin' For my Polestar. Just a coincidence given what you've said and my current viewing of this series without knowing Hasegawa was even in it.
    Oh, btw Lady Zhuge it isn't Hasekyo in Searchin' for My Polestar but Koyuki who's paired with Hideaki.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 04-06-07 at 04:33 AM.

And yes, creidesca I absolutely heart Ito Hideaki too although that didn't make me want to watch more than the first episode of Lawyer Kuzu (Bengoshi no Kuzu).
    I actually thought Lawyer Kuzu wasn't that bad, after you got through the initial 1-2 epis? The relationship his character had w/ the other lawyer was quite unique.
    Currently watching:
    K-dramas Resurrection/Rebirth, Wedding, Farewell to Tears, Rosy Life, Immortal Yi Soon Shin
    C-drama Fairytale of Twin Swords

Hmm, I wish they'd kept Kaito Ken's character, Mishima, in the Umizaru Evolution but that's because I liked his cockiness. Haha.
    I think his character outlived his usefulness at the end of the film since he was saved by Senzaki and could ill afford to be cocky anymore. They needed to introduce a new, but similar type of character to the story, and who better to portray him than Nakamura Toru?

Oh, btw Lady Zhuge it isn't Hasekyo in Searchin' for My Polestar but Koyuki who's paired with Hideaki.
    Ah, is that how it'll officially end up? I said "potentially" because it seems that even though Kenta (Shigenori) likes Nanae (Kyoko), Nanae has feelings for Kyouichi (Hideaki). It's "complex" since there's also somewhat of a love triangle between Kyouichi, Mifuyu (Koyuki), and Yuka (Kenji).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")