Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Who else has reached the divine stage of Distraction Resistance?

Thread: Who else has reached the divine stage of Distraction Resistance?

Default Who else has reached the divine stage of Distraction Resistance?

In HSDS, the three divine monks of Shaolin Duwei, Dujie, and Dunan have reached the divine stage of Distraction Resistance, which Zhang Wuji obviously did not. When Wuji was fighting the monks, he knew that Zhou Zhiruo could possibly annihilate Xie Xun, which he could not help but think about, which almost made him fire deviate. On the other hand, when one of the Ming Cult loyalists tried to distract the 3 divine monks by violating the rules of monkhood, they had completely shut themselves away from the outside world. Even if Zhou Dian (?) had killed himself in front of the 3 monks (which was his next strategy before Yellow-dressed Lady saved the day with her supreme lightness kung fu), they might not suffer from the distraction. The three divine monks of Shaolin therefore should be recognized as having reached the peak of perfection in self-control and Distraction Resistance.

Who else in Jin Yong wuxia have displayed such divine stage of Distraction Resistance?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Guo Jing had a natural born distraction resistance.

The Abbot of Tianlong temple in Dali, sorry I forget his name.
    Kurong great monk?
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Xiao Feng. Even Madam Ma dancing provocatively in front of him did not distract this bloke from his drinking.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    Kurong great monk?
    Yes, Elder Kurong. He seems to be extremely shut out from the outside world, not caring about anything in particular, always calm and in charge.

Xiao Feng. Even Madam Ma dancing provocatively in front of him did not distract this bloke from his drinking.
    He obviously did not reach the divine stage yet, since he was disturbed by the Ah Zhu assaulters.

Zhang Sanfeng was also described to have nearly mastered the divine stage of Distraction Resistance (DR); however he still cared about his disciples very much.

I think in general, disinterestedness should lead to the path to DR. And yet, the 3 monks, who practiced martial arts in order to seek revenge on Ming Cult, have reached this stage despite a vested interest. That seems a bit contradictory to me.
    Last edited by PJ; 12-25-06 at 02:24 AM.

XLN until YG came..

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    Kurong great monk?
    The Abbot of Tianlong is Benyin.
    Kurong is just an elderly monk whom most people outside the temple, including Duan Zhengming (Baoding), think is dead.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    The Abbot of Tianlong is Benyin.
    Kurong is just an elderly monk whom most people outside the temple, including Duan Zhengming (Baoding), think is dead.
    You're right about the Abbot being Benyin. However I think Kurong is the person which the poster meant to single out (who is a generation ahead of the abbot). Abbot Benyin is hardly enlightened compared to the fascinating Elder Kurong.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    You're right about the Abbot being Benyin. However I think Kurong is the person which the poster meant to single out (who is a generation ahead of the abbot). Abbot Benyin is hardly enlightened compared to the fascinating Elder Kurong.
    Yeah, I know. A lot of people seem to think that Kurong is the abbot perhaps because of DGSD82 by TVB. So periodically, when I feel like it, I take a potshot.
    Soon ... SOON!

After watching the overexaggerated unenlightened portrayal of the 5 Dali monks in DGSD 2003 AND the overly annoying portrayal of Yang Guo in ROCH 2005, I now wish that I had watched more adaptions while my mind was clear of how things "should be." In DGSD 2003, the monks were overly arrogant. They said: "Mr. Jiumozhi, pray tell, was 6MSJ better or was your kung fu better? Ahahahaha, Mwahahahaha, you suck. HA, HA, HA... " So yeah, if anyone watched that series, he would definitely not think Abbot Benyin is enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    After watching the overexaggerated unenlightened portrayal of the 5 Dali monks in DGSD 2003...
    I think the entire segment beginning from Duan Zhengming and Duan Yu's visit to the Temple of the Celestial Dragon until the escape of Jiumozhi from the temple with Duan Yu as a hostage was totally botched up in DGSD 2003. Unfortunately, things are not much better in DGSD 1982, especially when the Jiumozhi there executed the Finger of Flower Offerings 拈花指, the Finger of Pattra Leaf 多罗叶指 and the Finger of the Formless Raid 无相劫指 as if they were leg techniques! Just imagine, misrepresenting these techniques even when Jin Yong described them in the novel text!

PS: Get the descriptions for the Finger of Flower Offerings 拈花指, the Finger of Pattra Leaf 多罗叶指 and the Finger of the Formless Raid 无相劫指 at: http://wuxiapedia.com/novels/jin_yon...l_arts/shaolin

Sorry for going OT in your thread, PJ. I think I'd better stop here.
    Soon ... SOON!

Kobe Bryant

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.eurweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Kobe-and-Rock.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Guo Jing had a natural born distraction resistance.
    Didn't he nearly fire deviate while thinking about Huang Rong while they were tending his internal injury in the little hidden room? He hasn't reached this level yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Didn't he nearly fire deviate while thinking about Huang Rong while they were tending his internal injury in the little hidden room? He hasn't reached this level yet.
    Yeah he got quite horny.

GJ was always too concerned about those close to him to be 100% focused. For instance, in ROCH, he was clearly thinking about YG during the fight with the Mongolian warriors. It didn't seem to decrease his fighting ability but he was clearly distracted as well.

However, he does have the ability to sit down, practice neigong and forget about distractions =)

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    GJ was always too concerned about those close to him to be 100% focused. For instance, in ROCH, he was clearly thinking about YG during the fight with the Mongolian warriors. It didn't seem to decrease his fighting ability but he was clearly distracted as well.

However, he does have the ability to sit down, practice neigong and forget about distractions =)
    Let's put it this way: Gwok Jing is seldom distracted by things that are not *immediately* threatening him or his loved ones.

That's better than most people, who get distracted simply by things that they're imagining.

None of these wuxia guys compare to Kobe Bryant, though. Even Chris Rock couldn't make Kobe laugh when the championship was on the line.