Thread: Man in Charge 《幕後大老爺》

Default Man in Charge 《幕後大老爺》

Episodes: 20

Cast:
    Kenneth Ma
    Matthew Ko
    Kate Tsui
    Leila Tong

This series is to be aired in December 2008.

anyone watching this at the moment? I've heard positive comments concerning the show (much to my surprise)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.astro.com.my/uploads/aod/ProgrammeHighlight/441430_570x130_mic.jpg')

Sometimes kind Sometimes sassy
    Stay away from my spy woman

Master TAI YAU KUNG (Lau Ka Fai) is skilled in training official advisor for government. He helps his foster son CHOW PING (Ma Kwok Ming) obtain a job in officialdom. PING is a resourceful young man but he holds fast to his own beliefs. He finds all the rules and practices of the officials intolerable so he stays idle all the time. Sometimes he goes tavern to have fun and he falls into the adorable owner CHONG SIU HAN (Leila Tong). His wife CHIU YUK HING (Tsui Tsz Shan, Kate) becomes green-eyed monster and never stays in settlement with him.

KUNG recommends PING to work as an advisor to the new government official SHUM KWAN POK (Matthew Ko). PING and POK become good friends as time goes by. However, PING accidentally discovers that his respectful master KUNG is actually the father of POK. In order to protect himself, POK starts making use of HING to eliminate PING. PING is shocked to realize that his wife is in fact a spy dispatched by Imperial .

I don't want to watch this series. I expected this series to be boring, and lackadaisical in acting particularly when it comes to Matthew Ko and Kate Tsui. The series summary doesn't interest me at all.

Yesterday I walked past my neighborhood DVD store and decided to purchase the DVD. I don't know what got into me.

I end up finishing 5 episode in one go. This series is good. Granted the first 1 1/2 episode was sluggish and a bit confusing but it was a smooth flow afterward.

Kenneth's Chow Bing is very likable, as well as Kate's Hing (except when she's using her high pitched scream at Chow Bing). Matthew Ko is hate at first sight and I guess he have talent as villain. I can't really judge his acting because so far there are no challenging scene for him to show emotional range - his character basically look pissed, snobby, mean, deceptive most of the time. You feel like slapping that brat silly.

Oh yeah, Cheung Chi Kwong is a pleasant surprise - didn't know that he was in the series. His role is to provide comedic relief and maybe a side story on Leila's side later on.

p.s..When I mean 'good' it doesn't qualify as a great series, it's just better than what I expected from the cast. Not a bad choice as slot filler

I must agree with sehseh.. This series is quite good... i ended up watching 10 esps in one sitting... (I know i need to get a life )

It is a lot better than 'the king of snooker' (桌球天王) series, I tried to watch it.. becoz of the hot female star... but i just couldnt watch pass esp 3...

personally, i quite like it so far...its cute....its not stupid or ridiculous like i expected...it can be funny...

luv kenneth as usual haha...
    <3 Kenneth & Bernice - BK LOVE!
    Visit:

http://www.kennethma.wordpress.com

Why cheating men always commit the same kind of mistake?

Same souvenir for wife & lover, same love letter content but with different 'To:'

Lazy Chow Bing

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Why cheating men always commit the same kind of mistake?

Same souvenir for wife & lover, same love letter content but with different 'To:'

Lazy Chow Bing
    I guess it shows that he loves them both the same hence same present and letter.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_188 View Post
    I guess it shows that he loves them both the same hence same present and letter.
    I see it as laziness.

To lazy to spend more thoughts on the gifts.

Pretty nice light-hearted show. I generally like these type of period shows. I feel they can BS more than modern drama because the setting and everything's fake anyway.

Finally finished watching the series.

Actually I feel that Matthew's role, Kwan Pok have a lot of potential. Given to a more experienced actor (and equally charming as Matthew in looks department), this character can be one to love and hate. But this is Matthew's first leading role with considerable screentime, therefore I'd have to cut him some slack. Hiis acting is not terrible, just a bit flat.

SehSeh: I thought you said most Qing time setting has men with shaved heads. But in this series none of the actors have their heads shaved as Steven Ma has been shaving his head for roles that take place in Manchurian times.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    SehSeh: I thought you said most Qing time setting has men with shaved heads. But in this series none of the actors have their heads shaved as Steven Ma has been shaving his head for roles that take place in Manchurian times.
    Lol.. this is quite a low cost production. My guess it that Kenneth & Matthew have other series or project which doesn't allow them to be bald, therefore it's purely for their cast convenience. If I'm not mistaken, some TVB series back in the 80's & 90's also do not shave their heads.

p.s. There was rumors that Kevin was temporary 'freezed' because he refused to take part in a series which requires him to shave bald. Not many young actor, like Steven are willing to shave their hair regularly. Even if they do, I doubt they are happy with it.

If for authenticity, Queue (shaved head with long pig tail) is a must in Qing era. "Keep your hair and lose your head, or keep your head and cut your hair". No shaved head & pigtail - death on charge of treason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queue_(hairstyle)
    Last edited by sehseh; 05-04-09 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Lol.. this is quite a low cost production. My guess it that Kenneth & Matthew have other series or project which doesn't allow them to be bald, therefore it's purely for their cast convenience. If I'm not mistaken, some TVB series back in the 80's & 90's also do not shave their heads.

p.s. There was rumors that Kevin was temporary 'freezed' because he refused to take part in a series which requires him to shave bald. Not many young actor, like Steven are willing to shave their hair regularly. Even if they do, I doubt they are happy with it.

If for authenticity, Queue (shaved head with long pig tail) is a must in Qing era. "Keep your hair and lose your head, or keep your head and cut your hair". No shaved head & pigtail - death on charge of treason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queue_(hairstyle)
    That's why I commented on the trend they have with the shaved heads in the recent years. In the past, they never tried doing that.

It seem Steven took on many Qing era roles back to back and it seem like he was in this Qing phase. He's a good sport.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

A few years ago there was one series where everyone else shaved their heads but Damien Lau kept his hair intact

Quote Originally Posted by vinci90 View Post
    A few years ago there was one series where everyone else shaved their heads but Damien Lau kept his hair intact
    Yeah, that was Find the Light or something with Ron Ng, Shirley Yeung?, Tavia Yeung, Maggie Siu, and Bosco Wong.

series turned out better than expected...surprised kenneth had it in him to cry like that...it brought me to tears!
    <3 Kenneth & Bernice - BK LOVE!
    Visit:

http://www.kennethma.wordpress.com

yay kenneth is lead again..
    i loved him in lost in the chamber of love
    for me he has such a baby face, cute lo..
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others