Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: End for Asians in Hollywood?

Quote Originally Posted by Battosai
    The only real salvation is for Asian-Americans to break through through indies at first, while eschewing obvious kungfuey roles. In addition, it would be helpful for independent Asian-American directors to succeed at Sundance or Cannes.
    justin lin did really good at sundance, his film was better luck tommorow
    eric byler did really good the ifp awards, his film was charlotte sometimes
    greg pak did really good everywhere except sundance, his film was robot stories

there are tons of good asian american directors out there, you guys aren't even trying to look for them.

Quote Originally Posted by nliu
    justin lin did really good at sundance, his film was better luck tommorow
    eric byler did really good the ifp awards, his film was charlotte sometimes
    greg pak did really good everywhere except sundance, his film was robot stories

there are tons of good asian american directors out there, you guys aren't even trying to look for them.
    I think I've been unclear, probably due to the use of wrong word; it should've been "break out through... ". What this means is that an indie film achieves mainstream success, i.e., Miramax buys, $100+ million B.O., then an Oscar nod, etc. None of films you've listed achieved any sort of mainstream success, though not for trying at least for "Better Luck Tommorrow". BLT in fact was given a rather large push by MTV, but proved a financial disappointment and I'm told, didn't even make back MTV's ad budget. It was a bad omen for Asian-American directors, since it'd have opened up a whole new avenue, but despite a heavy promotion by MTV, it tanked.

Basically, Asian-American directors or actors need an Asian-American equivalent to "Sex, Lies and Videotape", that Greek Wedding movie, "English Patient" or any other indie film that's achieved mainstream success. Unless it happens, Asian-American directors and actors won't be taken seriously by Hollywood.

and there's this movie called "2046"....it's suppose to be movie of the year or whatsoever....but if i'm not mistaken,it ain't popular!

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    Define "normal". Normal Americans? Normal Asians? Normal Asian Americans? There are some differences between what's considered normal behavior for each of those groups.
    are you guys being racist to American Asians? because it is no diffrent, they are all Asian.. i personally dont like that to much where ever i go aka in hk and china they go oh no shes not chinese shes American... i'm like wtf i am a freakin Chinese.. but born in America?? urrr!!! LoL.. SORRY! for my language i just HAD 2 get it out of my system!! haha now back to your storry..

~Jeska~( This is Kourtnees younger sister, and so she makes me sign my name at the bottom cause people obviously got confused which one of us were using this thing)
    I LoVe RoN nG hE iS sO ****iN hOtT.HeS sO sExY, He's kISsAbLe, HuGgAbLe AnD Fu*kAbLe! HAHA I finiished a WHOLE MUFFIN! ahh!! Died hair agian light brown!!

[QUOTE=XxSimpleeSweet9xX]are you guys being racist to American Asians? because it is no diffrent, they are all Asian.. i personally dont like that to much where ever i go aka in hk and china they go oh no shes not chinese shes American... i'm like wtf i am a freakin Chinese.. but born in America?? urrr!!! LoL.. SORRY! for my language i just HAD 2 get it out of my system!! haha now back to your storry..[QUOTE]

Ya I agree with you 100%, sometimes we get carry away of what is asian but basically it makes no difference if you are born in American Asian and Asia Asian you are still asian... but if you are talking about race like Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc... then is another story.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

[QUOTE=James Ko][QUOTE=XxSimpleeSweet9xX]are you guys being racist to American Asians? because it is no diffrent, they are all Asian.. i personally dont like that to much where ever i go aka in hk and china they go oh no shes not chinese shes American... i'm like wtf i am a freakin Chinese.. but born in America?? urrr!!! LoL.. SORRY! for my language i just HAD 2 get it out of my system!! haha now back to your storry..

Ya I agree with you 100%, sometimes we get carry away of what is asian but basically it makes no difference if you are born in American Asian and Asia Asian you are still asian... but if you are talking about race like Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc... then is another story.
    well. i'm glad someone agrees with me.. i might be over exaggerating, but i live in a very weird life.. people think i'm fukin adopted, because i look diffrent then all the rest of my family.. okay.. our family flew 2 China 2 see my great grandma getting surgery, and we went out 2 eat their was like 20 of us and the waitress talks 2 my parents and sister and brother talks in chinese.. and she turns 2 me and goes...What would you like to drink in English.. shes like a complete idiot!.. i go i speak chinese.. she goes o i couldn't tell you look so diffrent r u their friend or something i'm like just shut up this is my mom and dad and sis and brother.. and she goes you look so diffrent .. your really pretty tho i'm like whatever so i left and then i got lost.. but n e ways.. can't a chinese girl be born with lightish brown hair and still be considerd like full chiense?? lol.. haha i sound retarded now!!
    I LoVe RoN nG hE iS sO ****iN hOtT.HeS sO sExY, He's kISsAbLe, HuGgAbLe AnD Fu*kAbLe! HAHA I finiished a WHOLE MUFFIN! ahh!! Died hair agian light brown!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    I am waiting for the day that an Asian can play a normal role. No more kung fu fighting, no more gun slinging, just a regular dramatic role.
    Hey Lucy Lu.. she stars in Charley's Angels n shez Asian and its not all fighting and i guess is a normal role??
    Snif a lita coke take a lita x smoke a lita weed drnk a lita bit i need a grl who i can freak wit.. ~I'll take u 2 da candy Shop give ya taste of wht i got don't stop it till ya hit the spot~

jackie chan came to our school last week.... we were on tv!
    \\...<< ☆★ Bounded with Chains ★☆>>...// >><><< 鋼之鍊金術師 + 魔探偵口キ + 名偵探柯南 + スパ亻ラル + フルメタル パ二ツク! >>

Quote Originally Posted by XxSimpleeSweet9xX
    are you guys being racist to American Asians? because it is no diffrent, they are all Asian.. i personally dont like that to much where ever i go aka in hk and china they go oh no shes not chinese shes American... i'm like wtf i am a freakin Chinese.. but born in America?? urrr!!! LoL.. SORRY! for my language i just HAD 2 get it out of my system!! haha now back to your storry..
    Not being racist, just stating a fact. Normal Asians include Indians, Arabs, Turks, Hebrews, Southeastern Asians as well as people from the Far East. People in this forum should stop not including India and the Middle East when talking in broad terms like "Asia" or "Asian".
    Last edited by Moinllieon; 02-26-05 at 06:19 PM.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

It's weird because in a genetics experiment I did they actually classified Indians and Middle East people as Caucasians. Sorry just messing up.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    Normal Asians include Indians, Arabs, Turks, Hebrews, Southeastern Asians as well as people from the Far East.
    i agree... to really be speaking, some of the middle east is also considered asia
    i think its middle east... u kno
    that place like arabia and stuff, and india and indonesia
    we normally refer to them as indian people but they are technically asian
    History repeats itself. Historians simply repeat each other.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight-sonata
    i agree... to really be speaking, some of the middle east is also considered asia
    i think its middle east... u kno
    that place like arabia and stuff, and india and indonesia
    we normally refer to them as indian people but they are technically asian
    Umm Sweeite Indonesia is no where in the Middle East, at keast not on my map here.. Indonesia is actually an island out in nowhere, (sarcasim) its actually closer to Austrailia and New Zeland. but Middel east is like Sadia Arabia, Iran Iraq kuwait afaganistan pakistan turkmesitan and shit like that/
    Snif a lita coke take a lita x smoke a lita weed drnk a lita bit i need a grl who i can freak wit.. ~I'll take u 2 da candy Shop give ya taste of wht i got don't stop it till ya hit the spot~

Quote Originally Posted by XxGetLow4ShoXx
    Umm Sweeite Indonesia is no where in the Middle East, at keast not on my map here.. Indonesia is actually an island out in nowhere, (sarcasim) its actually closer to Austrailia and New Zeland. but Middel east is like Sadia Arabia, Iran Iraq kuwait afaganistan pakistan turkmesitan and shit like that/
    Ugh, well, an island out in nowhere?? Not exactly, it is near to the tip of the Malayisa Peninsula and Singapore, at Southeastern Asia, archipelago between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean. And it is not an island but a whole series of islands.

Quote Originally Posted by XxGetLow4ShoXx
    Hey Lucy Lu.. she stars in Charley's Angels n shez Asian and its not all fighting and i guess is a normal role??
    Charlie's Angel... an action movie, and it's not ALL fighting? How normal can it be when the non-fighting scenes serve only as fillers before the fighting scenes arrive?
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Charlie's Angel... an action movie, and it's not ALL fighting? How normal can it be when the non-fighting scenes serve only as fillers before the fighting scenes arrive?
    She was quite funny in Payback. (Sidenote, anybody knew she was in Jerry McGuire too? I totally don't remember her in that.)
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Can't remember that. Hm. I'll check it out on my DVD again.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Fan Bing Bing is coming to Hollywood now...she beats all these people's butts!!! *whimper* don't kill me, I'm just really defensive and a big fan of hers...
    我爱范冰冰,Twins, 杨恭如,林心如,陈好,王艳,孙菲菲
    Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!
    Atra gulai un ilian tauthr ono un atra ono waise skoliro fra rauthr...

I don't think Fan Bing Bing will be as successful. She needs to improve on acting.a little Although Zhang Zi Yi is doing very well.

Quote Originally Posted by kiropuppy
    I don't think Fan Bing Bing will be as successful. She needs to improve on acting.a little Although Zhang Zi Yi is doing very well.
    At least Chang Ziyi's busted into Hollywood and some people in America and stuff know who she is... I live in Australia, and trust me, they know Zhang Ziyi but they don't know Fan Bing Bing.
    History repeats itself. Historians simply repeat each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Arya Svit-kona
    Fan Bing Bing is coming to Hollywood now...she beats all these people's butts!!! *whimper* don't kill me, I'm just really defensive and a big fan of hers...
    what?????????
    fan bing bing is going to hollywood????? which movie??

what about ang lee??
    i know he isn't an actor but he is really good director!!!

he earned a lot respect for his "brokeback mountain"
    think he has big chance to get an oscar this year!