Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High-level chi vs. demonic powers.

Default High-level chi vs. demonic powers.

The most powerful martial artists in wuxia fiction were not merely masters of fighting technique, but also masters of manipulating their life force...their chi...to produce a number of effects from concussive power to healing. Given this, how would some of these martial artists fare against ghosts and demons, assuming that such things exist?

If you do believe in ghosts and demons, then one possible understanding of what they are is a kind of life energy that is not bound by physical laws. They exist as a kind of energy that lies beyond conventional physicality. This is partly what makes such beings so frightening and threatening to human beings: these beings can use their energy to produce harmful effects upon the physical bodies of human beings, but human beings cannot affect these beings through physical means. No sword slash or bullet can hurt a ghost, but a ghost can do all kinds of harm to a physical body (or so it is believed).

The greatest martial arts masters of wuxia fiction are not only great fighters, but also spiritually enlightened sages. Would it be possible for, say, the Janitor Monk, Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung, or Cheung 3 Fung to use their great chi and spiritual enlightenment to battle ghosts or demonic forces?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    The most powerful martial artists in wuxia fiction were not merely masters of fighting technique, but also masters of manipulating their life force...their chi...to produce a number of effects from concussive power to healing. Given this, how would some of these martial artists fare against ghosts and demons, assuming that such things exist?

If you do believe in ghosts and demons, then one possible understanding of what they are is a kind of life energy that is not bound by physical laws. They exist as a kind of energy that lies beyond conventional physicality. This is partly what makes such beings so frightening and threatening to human beings: these beings can use their energy to produce harmful effects upon the physical bodies of human beings, but human beings cannot affect these beings through physical means. No sword slash or bullet can hurt a ghost, but a ghost can do all kinds of harm to a physical body (or so it is believed).

The greatest martial arts masters of wuxia fiction are not only great fighters, but also spiritually enlightened sages. Would it be possible for, say, the Janitor Monk, Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung, or Cheung 3 Fung to use their great chi and spiritual enlightenment to battle ghosts or demonic forces?
    Depends what type of ghost or demons you are speaking of. Some fight under different metaphysical laws.

Akuma/Guoki and his Satsu no Hadou?

I'd like to see him fight XF.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Akuma/Guoki and his Satsu no Hadou?

I'd like to see him fight XF.
    Akuma sunk an island with his punch...

I ALWAYS wondered about a fight between wuxia experts and ghosts, such as the long hair girl from the Japanese horror movie "The Ring."

What would happen if she crawled out of a TV to get Xiao Feng? (nevermind they didn't have TVs back then)
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Ghost probably could operate in a different dimension, so unless wuxia masters could manipulate dimensions, they are not a match to ghost.

But I believe the Chinese vampires that are often depicted in HK movies would be blown to pieces easily.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I ALWAYS wondered about a fight between wuxia experts and ghosts, such as the long hair girl from the Japanese horror movie "The Ring."

What would happen if she crawled out of a TV to get Xiao Feng? (nevermind they didn't have TVs back then)
    He'd blast her real good with XL28Z.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    Ghost probably could operate in a different dimension, so unless wuxia masters could manipulate dimensions, they are not a match to ghost.
    If you believe ghosts are manifestation of energies like how Western ghost researchers looking for ghosts using infrared scanners, then those palm blasts probably would work well on ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

One thing for sure: Sadako/Samara would be completely shocked and dismayed to encounter a mortal man who had absolutely no fear of her whatsoever.

That by itself would freak her out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    One thing for sure: Sadako/Samara would be completely shocked and dismayed to encounter a mortal man who had absolutely no fear of her whatsoever.

That by itself would freak her out.
    I think even Xiao Feng would be startled by the ghost. Maybe take a few steps back initially.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    But I believe the Chinese vampires that are often depicted in HK movies would be blown to pieces easily.
    Do Chinese vampires even have any special power? I'd think even an ordinary soldier can take out several vampires.

From the first time I watched the ring, I always wondered what would happen if :

a) While Sadako was crawling out of the TV real slow, someone just went up and punched/kicked her.

b) Douse her hair with gasoline/whiskey/etc and flick a cigarette butt.

I mean, she ain't exactly the fastest thing around.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    From the first time I watched the ring, I always wondered what would happen if :

a) While Sadako was crawling out of the TV real slow, someone just went up and punched/kicked her.

b) Douse her hair with gasoline/whiskey/etc and flick a cigarette butt.

I mean, she ain't exactly the fastest thing around.
    I would have dragged her from the TV to the laundry room, stuffed her into the washing machine, put in some Tide (TM), and hit the "On" switch.

CC, that's what I wondered too.

I guess only someone with the spirit of Dugu "Attack no matter what; if it looks like you will die in the process, do it anyway b/c your opponent will get scared before you and retract" 9 Jian can be brave enough to try.
    Last edited by PJ; 10-04-10 at 02:58 PM.

I mean, it could be as simple as :

1. Turn the TV to face the wall. Watch if she can crawl through that! Even if she could, its the neighbour thats gonna get it.

2. Turn the TV to face the window ledge where its a 19 floor drop down. Give it a kick from the back for extra encouragement.

3. Chuck the TV downstairs....

Even if Dugu Qiubai came back from the dead, he would be _extremely delighted_ by such _surprising_ positioning of the TV.
    Last edited by CC; 10-04-10 at 03:03 PM.

Brilliant. Perfect for an Asian ghost parody a la Scary Movie.

ken was this thread made because halloween month is here?

isn't sadako/samara psychic? I think that was her real power. basically she's a ghost with evil psychic power, lol. Would chi be able to disrupt her powers?

Quote Originally Posted by namix View Post
    ken was this thread made because halloween month is here?
    Well, considering it was started in early September...five years ago...

isn't sadako/samara psychic? I think that was her real power. basically she's a ghost with evil psychic power, lol. Would chi be able to disrupt her powers?
    Perhaps. Most kinds of chi circulation require the clearing of the mind, which might preclude psychic assault. Moreover, there are specific skills such as the 9 Yum Jen Ging's Yee Wan Dai Fat (Soul-Shifting Technique) that might also provide resistance to psychic assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Well, considering it was started in early September...five years ago...
    lol...my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ken cheng
    Perhaps. Most kinds of chi circulation require the clearing of the mind, which might preclude psychic assault. Moreover, there are specific skills such as the 9 Yum Jen Ging's Yee Wan Dai Fat (Soul-Shifting Technique) that might also provide resistance to psychic assault.
    sounds logical. I would also imagine high tier chi user such as sm and zhang would probably whoop them.

off topic question for u wuxia experts: has anybody in the wuxia realm ever use psychic power as a mean of battle?

Quote Originally Posted by namix View Post

sounds logical. I would also imagine high tier chi user such as sm and zhang would probably whoop them.
    Not only that, but the Janitor Monk and Cheung 3 Fung were regarded as great sages of their respective religions (Buddhism and Taoism). They probably had abilities beyond martial arts that would deter demons and evil spirits.