Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

Quote Originally Posted by snowyjasmine View Post
    Goodness, I have a ridiculous amount of respect for Yang Mi now, she is so strong and classy. What Karen did was really quite horrible, since in my opinion YM has more talent than all of her actresses. (I love LSS, but YM is lightyears ahead in acting) I'm just hoping she comes out of her workaholic phase and chooses more choice opportunities now that she's hot stuff again. Hopefully, she'll take care of herself and eat some more!
    I think she will! Awhile ago YM made a few posts in her weibo about feeling really tired and that maybe it's time to take a break...of course weibo posts are like twitter in that they're often just "spur of the moment" thoughts, but it sounds like she might be thinking of a lighter workload! (Which will probably still be just as much as most other actors work, lol.) I'm thinking maybe most of her current projects were signed right after her popularity took off with "Gong", so she still wanted to make the most of the opportunities, but maybe by next year she'll slow down a bit. Fortunately, she looks healthier now (not nearly as skinny as she used to be) so that's a good sign. ^_^

Also, I just noticed--that white dress she wears in the Bazaar photoshoot (posted above) looks like the same one she wore to an event to promote environmentally friendly stuff awhile ago! It's cute how she actually recycles clothing from her photoshoots (previously, she wore an outfit used in the Valentine's Day photoshoot with FSF to the YuanXiao show which took place soon after the photoshoot). Since usually you don't see celebs wearing the same thing twice.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/6ce5fba9gw1dihbbufkrqj.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/6ce5fba9gw1dihclmud6uj.jpg')

Coincidentally, the director of this telemovie that FengMi filmed together in 2004 is now the special effects director for Painted Skin 2. Since he's working with them again, he's releasing some photos after all these years

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/6ce5fba9jw6de9v03m748j.jpg')
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-23-11 at 04:17 PM.

I was just about to post these! XD YM is so cute in these screenshots, she was so young back then. FSF however doesn't really seem to have changed much at all (a good thing of course). I wonder if the director will manage to get the film out somehow (even if it's just a pirated copy or something lol) since he's been releasing so many teaser pics these days. The scenery in this movie looks really lovely too--I love the contrast of YM's bright red outfit against the cliff.

Edit: Yet another recently released movie still...if the director is not about to release this film I'll be mad at him for being such a tease! XD

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i53.tinypic.com/2ahqae.jpg')
    Last edited by mango_cake; 06-23-11 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swtaznlaydee View Post
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/6ce5fba9gw1dihbbufkrqj.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/6ce5fba9gw1dihclmud6uj.jpg')
    yang mi looks beautiful and haughty in the second pic! wow, this is so great that we get to see photos finally released. too bad the series can't be released though. =(

looking at the most recent picture posted, i am also sadden by the fact that we may never be able to see this series. the cinematography is beautiful based on that last pic.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    too bad the series can't be released though. =(

looking at the most recent picture posted, i am also sadden by the fact that we may never be able to see this series. the cinematography is beautiful based on that last pic.
    Actually there's still hope! the director said on his weibo he's trying to to get it released. We'll just have to patiently wait.

umm. is it just me or does FSF look more manly in these pics from however long ago than he does now? lol. i actually think he looked better then. but it couldve just been his costume for the movie.

Thinking back, I think FengMi fans are very fortunate. FSF and YM collaborated many times together (Da Han Tao Hua Kai, Gong, Hu Fu Zhuan Qi, Symphony of Fate, Painted Skin 2).

I just really think they have good "yuan" (roughly translated as "fate"). They are great co-workers/co-stars to each other. After her fallout with TR, FSF supposedly recommended YM to Yu Zheng (I know some of you probably preferred that YM never worked with Yu Zheng, but in truth, Yu Zheng's productions certainly helped YM's career). Then YM recommended FSF to act in Hu Fu Zhuan Qi. I remember during Ming Yun Jiao Xiang Qu Press Conference, FSF said that he often asked YM for work-related advice. Like one time, he wasn't sure if he should accept a film project and casually asked YM for her opinion. After a few days when FSF himself even forgot about the project, YM told him he should take on the project (after she finished reading the script and deep consideration - hmm...not sure about this anymore, I need to go FengMi forum and check the source) .

And somehow when FSF wanted to purchase an apartment in Beijing, he ended up buying a unit in YM's apt. complex. Now that's a big coincidence!
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-25-11 at 06:26 PM.

i agree that fsf looked more manly in Da Han Tao Hua Kai than currently; however, i think that may partially be because of his facial hair and shaggy hair which masked his effeminate features and also because he looked more tan in Da Han Tao Hua Kai pictures.

hmm...so fsf and ym live in the same building? when did this happen? seems like fsf really respects ym's opinions and i cannot believe ym is reading the scripts to help him select his projects. why doesn't she read the script to select her own project?
    Last edited by patricia n; 06-24-11 at 03:36 AM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    hmm...so fsf and ym live in the same building? when did this happen? seems like fsf really respects ym's opinions and i cannot believe ym is reading the scripts to help him select his projects. why doesn't she read the script to select her own project?
    Whoops..maybe I used the wrong descriptive. They don't live in the same building, but in the same gated residential district/complex, perhaps a few buildings apart. When I studied abroad in Beijing, I lived in an apartment complex with over 10 buildings, but some only had 2-3 buildings, so it really depend on the area. I don't know exactly when FSF bought his apt unit, but I know it was before they filmed Gong together.

YM just read one script for FSF. I'm not quite sure what script she read for him. A really important project? YM probably does read a lot of her script offers, but her staff must have first screened the first round t before she reads them. now that's she's soo popular, she probably gets over 100 script offers.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-24-11 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    YM probably does read a lot of her script offers, but her staff must have first screened the first round t before she reads them. now that's she's soo popular, she probably gets over 100 script offers.
    it would be so awesome if the scripts that were offered were for quality series/movies. i'm looking forward to her working with more established celebrities who can help her grow as an actress. if anything, i'm most looking forward to the day when she stars in a really great wuxia series.

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post
    umm. is it just me or does FSF look more manly in these pics from however long ago than he does now? lol. i actually think he looked better then. but it couldve just been his costume for the movie.
    I agree...although I think it's mostly due to the costume/styling. It seems like previously he has mostly acted those "shao ye" or prince type roles so obviously he wouldn't look as manly. Seeing these pics convinces me he can pull off his roles in his upcoming movies (Hong Men Yan and the Yang Jia Jiang one) which are more "warrior"-type roles. (I have to admit I was a bit skeptical before.)

Thinking back, I think FengMi fans are very fortunate. FSF and YM collaborated many times together (Da Han Tao Hua Kai, Gong, Hu Fu Zhuan Qi, Symphony of Fate, Painted Skin 2).

I just really think they have good "yuan" (roughly translated as "fate"). They are great co-workers/co-stars to each other. After her fallout with TR, FSF supposedly recommended YM to Yu Zheng (I know some of you probably preferred that YM never worked with Yu Zheng, but in truth, Yu Zheng's productions certainly helped YM's career). Then YM recommended FSF to act in Hu Fu Zhuan Qi. I remember during Ming Yun Jiao Xiang Qu Press Conference, FSF said that he often asked YM for work-related advice. Like one time, he wasn't sure if he should accept a film project and casually asked YM for her opinion. After a few days when FSF himself even forgot about the project, YM told him he should take on the project after she finished reading the script and deep consideration.

And somehow when FSF wanted to purchase an apartment in Beijing, he ended up buying a unit in YM's apt. complex. Now that's a big coincidence!
    Despite how much I dislike YZ, I have to admit I'm glad he used YM in his series. Her role in MRXJ was actually very good and she appeared in the much better half of the series. And while Gong was mostly lame/forgettable, it did bring about the wonderful YM/FSF pairing and brought her a lot of recognition in the industry which paved the way for her current projects. (However, now that she is getting better offers, I don't really want her to keep being in YZ series...if she acts in Gong 2 again that will be 4 YZ series in a very short time period.)

I find it strange that FSF recommended YM to YZ since I thought they weren't close until after Gong, and they only had one collaboration way back? Although, it sounds like FSF always had favourable impression of YM so I guess it's plausible. (I still find it funny that their initial impressions of each other were totally opposite...apparently FSF had such a good impression of YM that he recommended her for a series even years later...whereas YM apparently disliked him so much she treated him badly even after 7 years...and even though he was her costar! )

I definitely agree that they have good "yuan" though...especially how they starred in that telemovie when both were just starting out, then 7 years later they become successful together after starring in Gong. (Though that coincidence of them living in the same residential area sounds a bit suspicious...who knows maybe FSF actually planned it out that way and just called it a "coincidence"! Lol, just kidding...I'm assuming it's probably a very affluent area so a lot of celebs buy houses there.)

It's strange to think that even though they have so many collaborations, only Gong has been released! Feels like it's been more than that, but all the others are still in post-production/filming or didn't get released. Looks like there will be no shortage of onscreen YM/FSF in the next few months! XD

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post

I find it strange that FSF recommended YM to YZ since I thought they weren't close until after Gong, and they only had one collaboration way back? Although, it sounds like FSF always had favourable impression of YM so I guess it's plausible. (I still find it funny that their initial impressions of each other were totally opposite...apparently FSF had such a good impression of YM that he recommended her for a series even years later...whereas YM apparently disliked him so much she treated him badly even after 7 years...and even though he was her costar! )
    I found FSF recommending YM to YZ very strange too! I was always under the impression they didn't really know each other that well pre-Gong, probably just acquaintances. Somehow YZ claimed in his blog that FSF recommended most of his female leads (Ady An, Myolie Wu, YM). I suspect FSF probably said something informal to YM like "hey buddy, I think YM is a good actress. You should seek her out and have her try some of the roles. " I'm sure you can recommend an actress to a producer without actually knowing the actress personally cuz you are basing your recommendation from past works.

FSF actually knows YM's eldest sister Qin Lan and second sister Huo Si Yan (YM is known as the 7th Sister in their social clique "The Teddy Family")much better before Gong. Maybe they had some indirect contact through them? Gong didn't officially start filming until last year on July 10, 2010. In a strict sense, FSF and YM actually only befriended each other for less than year! Their close friendship definitely feels much longer than that!

P.S. oh Mango, I think this is the scene where FSF earned YM's bad impression of him. Didn't she say he wanted to add a kiss when they were shooting in prison scene?
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/6ce5fba9tw1diim9muoxkj.jpg')

I'm really curious about their acting and onscreen chemistry 7 years ago. I always had a deep impression of YM's acting and FSF didn't leave much of an acting impression when I first watched his TVB drama A Drive of Life. I only started to like him cuz of his Alaskan Malamute doggie, David...LOL...But then I think that poor pup died since I don't hear FSF talked about him anymore...
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-24-11 at 07:39 PM.

Yeah, same here...I've always liked YM's acting starting from when I first started following her in 2005/2006 (it's so nice to see her finally start becoming really successful!). While for FSF, apart from Gong I've only seen him in MRXJ and was underwhelmed by his acting there. (I was also not impressed by his and Myolie's chemistry.) However, I really like the movie stills that have been released so far and the synopsis sounds good, so I'm getting really curious about this movie as well! XD This director better not just be getting our hopes up...

FSF actually knows YM's eldest sister Qin Lan and second sister Huo Si Yan (YM is known as the 7th Sister in their social clique "The Teddy Family")much better before Gong. Maybe they had some indirect contact through them? Gong didn't officially start filming until last year on July 10, 2010. In a strict sense, FSF and YM actually only befriended each other for less than year! Their close friendship definitely feels much longer than that!
    Interesting, I've never heard about the "7 Teddy Sisters" till now...why are they called that? And I'm always surprised by how many people YM is good friends with in the entertainment circle--a lot who she worked with before, but also a lot who I don't think she's ever collaborated with (eg Jane Zhang)! Do you know how these 7 actresses got to know each other? I do like Qin Lan and Xiong Nai Jin (LXL and HSY, not so much a fan of...and the other 2 I've never even heard of!) but I'm confused how they got to be so close in the first place? YM seems to always be so busy filming etc, how does she manage to have the time to get to know so many people! O_o I swear she must live in some alternate universe with double the time of normal people or something to be so efficient. >_<

Edit: P.S. patricia, I am also dying to see YM in a wuxia series/film, but I think this movie has some wuxia elements to it! In the summary I read, YM plays a poor girl who is "wen wu shuang quan", ie she is smart/well-read but also good at martial arts. Whereas FSF plays an assassin-type character who is highly skilled at martial arts (but because he grew up in a poor village he is illiterate, yet really wants to learn how to read/write). So that's another reason to look forward to this film!
    Last edited by mango_cake; 06-24-11 at 08:54 PM.

Interesting, I've never heard about the "7 Teddy Sisters" till now...why are they called that? And I'm always surprised by how many people YM is good friends with in the entertainment circle--a lot who she worked with before, but also a lot who I don't think she's ever collaborated with (eg Jane Zhang)! Do you know how these 7 actresses got to know each other? I do like Qin Lan and Xiong Nai Jin (LXL and HSY, not so much a fan of...and the other 2 I've never even heard of!) but I'm confused how they got to be so close in the first place? YM seems to always be so busy filming etc, how does she manage to have the time to get to know so many people! O_o I swear she must live in some alternate universe with double the time of normal people or something to be so efficient. >_<
    I don't know how YM got involved with the "The Teddy Family," perhaps through the influence of Xiong Nai Jin? since she and Huo Si Yan (the original creator/leader) are really close. I just noticed YM started to hang out with this group a lot after her fallout with TR. YM used to post a lot of pictures with Liu Si Si in 2009 on her blogs, but when she started to use weibo, presence of TR dissipated and I saw frequent pictures of "Teddy Family." Even though YM still remains cordial and friendly with Liu Si Si, I personally think she doesn't hang out with her much anymore due to Karen's unforgiving nature. At most, they probably exchange text messages/chat on the phone. It's a pity.

The 7 members are:
    Qin Lan (eldest), Huo Si Yan, (2nd), Li Xiao Lu (3rd), Xiong Nai Jin (4th), Gan Wei (5th), Xiao Yu Yu (6th), and YM (7th)

If you remember that HunanTV's behind the scene interview YM/FSF/Qin Lan/Li Chen during the Lantern Festival, you can hear Qin Lan calling YM "Qi Mei" or 7th little sister. I think that's how they address each other.

To read more :
    http://baike.baidu.com/view/4688189.htm

All of them are based in Beijing, so I assumed they somehow got to meet up and hang out in between breaks. When YM was shooting Beijing's Love Story, she probably lived at home. Most special events/photoshoots are held in Beijing too.

Jane Zhang and YM first met at a press conference/gathering for Zhang Ji Zong's Return of the Condor Heroes back in 2006. Jane sang the themesong for that drama.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-24-11 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks for all the info! I only recently started following YM's real-life activities (before I just kept track of her TV series/movies/promotional stuff etc) so this is all new to me! I forgot about the Jane Zhang/YM ROCH connection, that makes sense. LMAO at the "Teddy Family" all holding little stuffed animals...I didn't know it was so official, they actually have T-shirts and cakes with "Teddy Family", haha! How did YM and XNJ become close friends though?

Also, still wading through the FengMi Baidu thread and came across this pic: O_o

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i56.tinypic.com/ilf7kn.jpg')

I nearly died! Since when did YM meet up with Dylan Kuo?! He is the hottest TW actor (IMO), I am so up for a Dylan/YM collaboration sometime! (Well, I am more or less up for any YM/hot actor onscreen pairing. XD) It seems rather unlikely though, sigh...
    Last edited by mango_cake; 06-24-11 at 10:29 PM.

How did YM and XNJ become close friends though?
    YM, Xiong Nai Jin, Ma Tian Yu, Yuan Shan Shan all attended Beijing Film Academy together. Now Xiong Nai Jin and FSF are under the same agent. So sometimes you see their agent participate in Teddy Family gatherings...lol...
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-24-11 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks JoleCole for patiently answering all my questions! I assumed it was something like they went to school together but I got confused since XNJ is a few years older than YM, so wouldn't she be a few classes ahead of her?

Thanks JoleCole for patiently answering all my questions! I assumed it was something like they went to school together but I got confused since XNJ is a few years older than YM, so wouldn't she be a few classes ahead of her?
    I got confused at first too. After I checked Xiong Nai Jin's bio, it seems she first graduated from a university in Sichuan specializing in folklore performance? and then attended Beijing Film Academy with YM in 2002. So I guess she got 2 BA's.

I nearly died! Since when did YM meet up with Dylan Kuo?! He is the hottest TW actor (IMO), I am so up for a Dylan/YM collaboration sometime! (Well, I am more or less up for any YM/hot actor onscreen pairing. XD) It seems rather unlikely though, sigh...
    They acted in Legend of the Chinese Zodiac together. I never watched that drama, so I'm not sure who YM was paired with.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/agridulsex/66060b346cfa32075bb5f5a.jpg')
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-24-11 at 10:53 PM.