Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Drama Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    Is he? I must be the only one who thinks he's sub-par. And Aids has now turned into a romantic plot device.
    *shakes hands* no, you are not the only one who thinks he's grossly overrated, i mean he's obviously attractive, but not as attractive as he's touted to be. I know alot of people who reckon he's the most handsome man on earth. as for the acting, i dunno, he doesnt strike me as bad, but he's never made a huge impression on me as a actor.
    and that drama...i thought it was complete crap. the so called 'themes' and 'messages' they decided to advance are just reprehensible. i mean, its AIDS!! hardly a inconsequential subject, and the way these screenwriters dealt with it was disgusting.
    Last edited by divinefish; 09-26-05 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by velvet_ice
    I think... at this moment, what Jdramas really need is reinvention - injecting fresh ideas into their stories. It's high time they realise that the 90's flavour in Jdramas is getting pretty stale (although it is without a doubt, memorable).
    Most definitely! Though it doesn't look like its going to happen in 2005 or 2006. There are also too many boy band "talents" dominating dramas now...it's turning me off. Somehow some way along the line, many dramas have lapsed into navel-gazing? Those types where the character loses meaning in life and needs someone special to enter their life, give them a jolt to spur them to follow their heart and live happily. We all know how it progresses for here...

Haha Manabu Oshio. Somehow I think the persona projected in the newspaper reports makes him out to be similar in character to Yabuki in Love Revolution. But the bad boy image probably makes him even more desirable in real life? He's not much of an actor in my opinion, and I totally don't fancy his songs with his band Liv. Anyway he and Yada Akiko fell in love while filming the spring drama Yume Aimashou, so I wonder how long this will last.

I think that's exactly the problem. I've also come to associate Eri with spunky characters (much like Esumi Makiko) and Isaki was just totally wrong for Eri. Of course, kudos that she could pull it off - I assume she did - but Isaki seemed gossipy, insecure, indecisive and totally uncomfortable with what she is. It's just so not Eri.

And I didn't like Ayumi either. She seemed one of those cutie-pie girls that I detest, and she's probably gonna cause some sort of ruckus later. Bah.
    Oh totally. Isaki is almost all that you said she is (she is supposed to embody the typical Japanese woman who's past the ideal marriageable age). Riichi pretty much told her off for minding others' business. *sigh* But Eri's better than Ryoko, who was even more annoying than the girl who played Ayumi. Ayumi is just bland, with a screechy voice. And we know as the show progresses than her relationship with Riichi will amount to nought because their on-screen chemistry is non-existent and they always appear awkward in each other's presence.

I never watched the shows you mentioned because the storyline's never appealed to me so I'll never know whether such strong male characters exist in the realm of Japanese drama.

I feel the same way about Takeshi Kaneshiro...I haven't watched a single drama of his save for a few minutes of Golden Bowl, and the only movie I've watched is Returner, where I thought Ann Suzuki delivered a more impressive performance than he did. I've never watched God Please Give Me More Time and doubt I ever will because Kyoko Fukuda's in it too...besides the questionable plot.

Hayato was the guy that Lady Oman met secretly on the side? His fate was most tragic I think.

Quote Originally Posted by divinefish
    *shakes hands* no, you are not the only one who thinks he's grossly overrated, i mean he's obviously attractive, but not as attractive as he's touted to be. I know alot of people who reckon he's the most handsome man on earth. as for the acting, i dunno, he doesnt strike me as bad, but he's never made a huge impression on me as a actor.
    and that drama...i thought it was complete crap. the so called 'themes' and 'messages' they decided to advance are just reprehensible. i mean, its AIDS!! hardly a inconsequential subject, and the way these screenwriters dealt with it was disgusting.
    Yay! So glad you and jade_frosts agree with me about Kaneshiro. I never thought much of his acting, and I've seen men better-looking than him. Bleh. I guess we can't help it that we value substance over mere looks. I thought Kuroki Hitomi totally outshone him in Golden Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    Hayato was the guy that Lady Oman met secretly on the side? His fate was most tragic I think.
    Yes, the flute player, the one who had to rescue his Christian sister. He didn't have a good ending? Aw.

I've never liked Hirosue Ryoko. Something about her totally pissed me off in Beach Boys (despite Sorimachi and Yutaka!!) and I just refused to watch the rest of her serials. And she seemed real ditzy in ep 1 of Slow Dance. Did she end up with FN?

And you don't like Kyoko Fukada??
    玉木宏

blog

EDIT: Anyone watching Oku - Inner Palace? I like Asaka Seto's Lady Oman! The Shogun is a wimp, while the flute player Hayato is kinda cute!
    I'm watching it! Yeah, I just watched the episode where the First Lady was introduced last night I think. I missed the 3rd and 4th episodes though (argh!), and only managed to catch a little of the 5th episode. I didn't even get to see the rise of Afuku from lowly servant to influential lady...so I'm quite confused as to what's going on now... have a few qtns here:

1) Why is the First Lady so darn weird? The way she talks - it's almost mechanical.

2) Towards the end of the 6th episode when the First Lady invites Lady Oman over, was she trying to give her a chance to see Hayato?

3) Afuku - why is she so haughty now? Or is it merely a facade?

And yes. Hayato certainly caught my attention

I saw Kamisama blabla bla before (the title's too darn long) and I gave up after 1 ep. It's too slow paced for me. Thought it was too depressing and er, a little senseless... I didn't like the idea of the rock star-fan romance. Too weird.
    Last edited by velvet_ice; 09-27-05 at 05:21 AM.
    -velvet_ice-
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

I'm watching it! Yeah, I just watched the episode where the First Lady was introduced last night I think. I missed the 3rd and 4th episodes though (argh!), and only managed to catch a little of the 5th episode. I didn't even get to see the rise of Afuku from lowly servant to influential lady...so I'm quite confused as to what's going on now... have a few qtns here:

1) Why is the First Lady so darn weird? The way she talks - it's almost mechanical.

2) Towards the end of the 6th episode when the First Lady invites Lady Oman over, was she trying to give her a chance to see Hayato?

3) Afuku - why is she so haughty now? Or is it merely a facade?

And yes. Hayato certainly caught my attention
    This coming from someone who started watching from the point of Lady Oman's entry into the story...

Afuku... do you mean the girl who was with Lady Oman when she was still a nun? She was cleaning the floor one day when those three irritating ladies (one of them was an old woman) came and sneered at her. Pissed off, she threw water at them and was punished by one of the senior ladies. Later on, this senior lady took pity on her and made Afuku her personal maid. She also said Afuku reminded her of the younger Madam Kasugai. Afuku was then allowed to attend the ceremony where Lady Oman was to be formally presented as the Shogun's concubine.

At the ceremony, Afuku saw Lady Oman and both embraced. Lady Oman then requested to make Afuku her personal maid instead, and Afuku's confidence grew where she dared to speak out in front of Madam Kasugai, who asked Lady Oman to discipline her. I guess Afuku seemed haughty because 1) she's always been outspoken, and 2) she serves Lady Oman, now the Shogun's fave.

As for the First Lady, I think she's bitter and resigned. She resents being forced into a loveless marriage with the Shogun - they have not consummated their marriage, and she's now consigned to live away from the Oku (her place is where men ARE allowed to visit!). I think she said she could have married someone else in her hometown had she not been trapped in this marriage.

I'm not sure the First Lady saw Lady Oman's interest in Hayato, though Madam Kasugai certainly did. Maybe because Lady Oman took the initiative to visit the First Lady, she felt that she had some sort of friend in Lady Oman - both of them suffering similar fates of being the Shogun's women etc - and invited her over as a friendly gesture. I think she seemed more absorbed in the music and didn't notice Lady Oman slipping away to see Hayato.

On second thought... maybe the First Lady did see Lady Oman staring at Hayato and thought to help her along... so confusing.

Just my $0.02. I stand corrected.
    Last edited by junny; 09-27-05 at 07:28 AM.
    玉木宏

blog

I guess we can't help it that we value substance over mere looks.
    Haha we have good, discerning taste?

I've never liked Hirosue Ryoko. Something about her totally pissed me off in Beach Boys (despite Sorimachi and Yutaka!!) and I just refused to watch the rest of her serials. And she seemed real ditzy in ep 1 of Slow Dance. Did she end up with FN?

And you don't like Kyoko Fukada??
    Yes to both your qns. I think Kyoko Fukada's cute, but I don't think she can act so I generally avoid her dramas. I've seen her in the movies Onmyouji II and Like Asura though.

*SPOILERS*

Ryoko is paired with Naohito in Slow Dance. I constantly cringed when it was her turn on screen. What's with that cutesy smile and look. Eeks...spare me! Btw, Mino is supposed to be an innocent, simple girl on the outset. To me their story was inconsequential and I think the scriptwriters could have thrown it out of the window because the way they got together was lame, even lamer was the fact that I, the viewer, had to buy the "fact" that they fell for each other, chose avoidance because they didn't know how to react in each other's presence, and wed out of love since I couldn't detect any chemistry between the two.

I haven't been following Ooku (taking a break from Japanese dramas from the time being) but I don't like the Shogun. He comes across as a weak character overshadowed by his nanny. Hmm, how can a nun renounce her vows of chastity and return to the secular world??? Btw the third season of Ooku is coming out this autumn.

And if you guys have time, check out the Japanese Film Festival: http://www.sfs.org.sg/2005/09jff.html which starts tomorrow and ends on 9 Sept.

i dunno if its been discussed here already but I just read a piece of news which said matsumoto jun is going to star in a japanese adaption of hanayoridango, as Tsukasa!! my gosh, i think he's adorable, but what an odd casting decision. can you imagine? jerry yan and matsumoto jun standing side by side...

about slow dance, none of the actors really bothered me, but the plot developement was just so bleh...by the end, i couldnt care less what happened to these characters.

Quote Originally Posted by divinefish
    i dunno if its been discussed here already but I just read a piece of news which said matsumoto jun is going to star in a japanese adaption of hanayoridango, as Tsukasa!! my gosh, i think he's adorable, but what an odd casting decision. can you imagine? jerry yan and matsumoto jun standing side by side...
    Oh no it hasn't been discussed in this forum yet. I don't like the cast lineup for Hana Yori Dango one bit. Matsujun's cool but I don't think he makes the cut - he's too delicately built.

Anyway the cast is:
    Matsumoto Jun - Domyoji Tsukasa
    Oguri Shun - Hanazawa Rui
    Matsuda Shota - Nishikado Sojiro
    Abe Tsuyoshi - Mimakasa Akira
    Inoue Mao - Makino Tsukushi

Official website: http://www.tbs.co.jp/hanayoridango/
    (no images available yet)

Afuku... do you mean the girl who was with Lady Oman when she was still a nun?
    Actually, Afuku=Madam Kasugai. It's her first name I think. Heh... so essentially I wanted to know why she became so haughty (in the first few eps she was only a lowly servant and had to watch her words and grovel before Lady Oeyo (The mother of the current weak Shogun) What happened to her, anyway?

And also, I am a bit confused because I missed the 2nd and 3rd eps. As far as I can remember there were 2 sons - one was Lady Oeyo's, the other is the current shogun ( I don't know who's son he is... can someone enlighten me?)

BTW... I think, jade_frosts, a nun lving in the Sengoku Era (warring states period) certainly can renounce her vows of chastity - as long as the Shogun orders it. Sad isn't it - how these women are forced into a loveless marriage with one of the most powerful men in the country.
    -velvet_ice-
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Actually, Afuku=Madam Kasugai. It's her first name I think. Heh... so essentially I wanted to know why she became so haughty (in the first few eps she was only a lowly servant and had to watch her words and grovel before Lady Oeyo (The mother of the current weak Shogun) What happened to her, anyway?
    Ohhh, my bad, Sorry. Don't know what happened so that she became so haughty, but she does get on my nerves. I feel so sorry for Lady Oman. And I saw the trailer for the next episode, poor Hayato.
    玉木宏

blog

I haven't watched the show in its entirety so I'm not very sure why. Perhaps it was because she emerged the victor in the struggle with Lady Oeyo over custody of the eldest boy (the current shogun) so she became haughty?

Anyway from the chart on the characters in Ooku, it seems that though the Tokugawa shogun loved Lady Oman, his feeling weren't returned in the drama itself, but later on in the drama special it became mutual, and Ofuku conceded her position to Lady Oman.

There's a drama special on Oku? Damn, I hope I get to see it! The shogun is a wimp, he doesn't deserve Lady Oman's love. I feel so sad for her and Hayato. Lady Oman should put Madam Kasugai in the burner and turn her into toast.

Saw the last episode of Itoshi Kimie. It was good! I liked it. Some pretty heart-wrenching scenes of FN and Kanno Miho, and all things said and done, pretty realistic.
    玉木宏

blog

Hey,

Just wanted to drop by and ask if anyone's watched Shiroi Kyoto (The Great White Tower) starring Karasawa Toshiaki and Yosuke Eguchi ( )

If so, is it worth watching?
    -velvet_ice-

I am currently watching Gokusen and Hana Yori Dango. Both series got Matsumoto Jun and I think he's cool!!!! especially in HYD he potray DMY much better than the Taiwan version.

I have to say HYD Dorama version is much much much better than Meteor Garden. Although it's only up to ep 2 now, I so look forward for this series
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

I am watching Densha Otoko currently, pretty entertaining, I have never seen such a pathetic male lead before. It is fun watching him fumble around and be a total loser... can't help but root for him.

As for Hana Yori Dango, Japanese version, I am watching it as well. Hmm... I have to say Jerry Yan is a better Doumyoji than Matsumoto Jun, he's just abit too small size and not good looking enough for me to be Doumyoji. And I found the JP version lacking in humour, the anime, manga and TW version were all comedies.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other, both have their pros and cons, I probably need to watch the entire series and see how they handle other scenes to make a proper judgement.

I need to say this... Oguri Shun as Hanazawa Rui totally k-i-c-k-a-s-s !!!!

For me it was the other way around, with the Taiwan version, I remembered I got addicted quite easily but in the end I almost regret the time I spent to watch it, feel like wasting time. Some scenes as far as I remember is quite funny but more slapstick and silly, although the songs are great.

For this HYD dorama version I find it more refreshing and the jokes are more believeable, less slapstick. Perhaps I like the dorama version's because the pace is less draggy? I'm not sure either. I read there's only 9 episodes for this series, so I'll put my final verdict later.

I watch view episodes of the manga, because of the subtitles I stop watching it. Perhaps I shall try it after I finish the dorama later.

I like Mastsumoto Jun more than Oguri Shun.. .. personal preference I suppose
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts
    I am watching Densha Otoko currently, pretty entertaining, I have never seen such a pathetic male lead before. It is fun watching him fumble around and be a total loser... can't help but root for him.
    Have watched densha otoko. Yes, quite funny in the beginning, but become boring towards the end, still it is one of the best drama of 2005. Watched Jyoou no Kyoushitsu too. Prefer this drama than Densha. Totally refreshing and blow me away. Recommended for everyone here. It 's a must watch drama! Watched Dragon Zakura too, it ranks third in my opinion, still good drama to watch.
    Welcome to my Alyssa Chia's website:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alyssa_chia/
    The most adorable ZhaoMin in HSDS.

Love HYD even more!!!! Ep 4 shows more on Doumuji Tsukasa character and why he acted like a spoil brat... and Tsukishi scandal also great as the closing of the this episode.... Can't hardly wait .....
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cassie
    Have watched densha otoko. Yes, quite funny in the beginning, but become boring towards the end, still it is one of the best drama of 2005.
    I am now at episode 6 of Densha Otoko, still pretty entertaining for me, I am at the point where Hermes found Densha at the Comike thingy. Aww... I pity him for being in that pathetic state, yet I don't pity him because he lied to go to some comic thing. Sigh~~ Will only pass my verdict on the show after I have completed the series, heard that there's a movie, telling the story from Hermes point of view. Can't wait to see that one.

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore
    Love HYD even more!!!! Ep 4 shows more on Doumuji Tsukasa character and why he acted like a spoil brat... and Tsukishi scandal also great as the closing of the this episode.... Can't hardly wait .....
    Matsu Jun as Tsukasa is growing on me definitely, his interactions with Tsukushi were absolutely hilarious, especially in the begining during the elevator scene. He's such a big dork!! However, I am missing Rui already, come back quick!!

one of the funniest scenes for me is in Ep 3, when Tsukasa trying to get Tsukishi to his car and take her back to the school. He pretend he's accidently see her in that area and want to give her a lift. But it was end up with Tsukishi running away and got chase wildly by Tsukas... :lol: .... it was so funny.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.