Thread: The Anything-but-Ultimate ranking ... of looks of the main characters

Default The Anything-but-Ultimate ranking ... of looks of the main characters

1. If you were to rank Jin Yong's main MALE characters in terms of looks/appearance/handsomeness, how would you rank them?

2. If you were to rank Jin Yong's main FEMALE characters in terms of looks/appearance/handsomeness, how would you rank them?

3. If you were to rank GU LONG's main MALE characters in terms of looks/appearance/handsomeness, how would you rank them?

Personally, I think Xuzhu was probably the ugliest main character in Jin Yong universe, at least before he became semi-invincible. I have extracted some relevant descriptions of his ugliness from the book:

却听得那人说道:“唉,原来是个小和尚!唉,还是个相貌好生丑陋的小和尚,难,难,难!唉,难,难,难!” 虚竹的相貌本来颇为丑陋,浓眉大眼,鼻孔上翻,双耳招风,嘴唇甚厚,加上此刻撞破板壁时脸上又受了些伤,更 加的难看。那人向他端相半晌,叹了口气,道:“你能解破我的棋局,聪明才智,自是非同小可,但相貌如此,却 终究不行,唉,难得很。”虚竹微感惭愧:“说到相貌,我当真和他是天差地远了。”那老人道:“你有这番侠义 心肠,倒是不错。你棋艺不高,武功浅薄,都不相干,你既能来到这里,那便是有缘。只不过……只不过……你相 貌太也难看。”说着不住摇头。
    那老人道:“那你就须求无量山石洞中那个女子指点。她见你相貌不佳,多半不肯教你,你求他瞧在我的份上…… 咳,咳……可惜你相貌不好看,中间实有不少为难之处,然而你是逍遥派掌门人,照理这女子不该违抗你的命令, 很好,很好……”

Wuyazi said: "It is a monk who has entered, and one hell of an ugly monk. Problematic, Problematic, Problematic. Oh, Problematic, Problematic, Problematic." Xuzhu's original appearance can be considered rather poor, with thick eyebrows, big eyes, upward-tilting nose holes, wide ears, really thick lips. Add to all this the scars from recent events, his look has worsened. Wuyazi studied Xuzhu some more, finally sighing: "You were able to solve my go puzzle, that means you must be highly talented. However with an appearance such as yours, the plan cannot work. Oh, 'tis immensely problematic." Xuzhu felt a bit guilty: "Talking about our appearance, this elder and I really bear the differences of heaven and earth."

Later, Wuyazi said: "I do like your kindness. Also your lack of skills in go/chess and martial arts are not the obstacles. You were brought here by fate. However, however... my god, are you just plain ugly." Wuyazi could not help but shake his head.

Finally, Wuyazi uttered his last words: "You must ask help from the lady in Wuliang Cave. She will probably refuse you due to your unattractive shape. You must beg her to help on my behalf... cough cough... it is too bad that your appearance is too unattractive, and it will be especially difficult for what we are trying to do. Yet you are the leader of the Xiaoyao Sect, so in theory she should not defy your wish. Alright, alright..."

Does anyone want to bother to count how many times Wuyazi mentioned Xuzhu's disappointing/undesirable looks?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

well, xu zhu is obviously not the best lookin lad out there...and wu ya zhi was probably expecting yang guo to walk in.

Hui Juk might not have been good looking, but he still got to marry a princess. Not bad for a guy whose name is translated literally as "Weak Bamboo." (I bet he heard *alot* of dirty jokes told about his name behind his back)

*Hsi Hsia Soldier A assigned to guard the princess and prince consort's bedchamber*: "His Highness the Prince Consort is named 'Weak Bamboo.'"

*Hsi Hsia Soldier B*: *Giggle*

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying
    well, xu zhu is obviously not the best lookin lad out there...and wu ya zhi was probably expecting yang guo to walk in.
    Then he'll probably go "WTF?!? We already have 1 crippled Sect Leader! We don't need another one!"

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Then he'll probably go "WTF?!? We already have 1 crippled Sect Leader! We don't need another one!"
    and YG starting to show off his sad palms and WYZ finds YG suitable

I think it's relative and Wu yazhi is exaggerating. He's surrounded by beautiful people all the time, so his standard of judging beauty will sure be high.

Anyway, Jiang Feng should top the list in Gu Long section.

Excepts from Legendary Siblings:-

"Anyone with a pair of ears has heard of the names Jaded lover Jiang Feng and Yan Nantian, anyone with a pair of eyes would love to see the unsurpassed appearances of Jiang Feng and the ultimate unmatched swordsmanship of Yan Nantian.

Because everyone knows that no young girl can withstand a mere smile of Jiang Feng and nobody can block a simple sword stance of Yan Nantian.

Everybody is certain that Yan Nantian can chop off the head of a field marshal even surrounded by an army of a million soldiers, he can split a mere hair into two halves with ease. And Jian Feng's charismatic smile can crush any girl's heart.

However at this moment the richest and most handsome young man of his time is wearing a rough robe and is driving an old shabby carriage pulled by a horse. "

Source: Legendary Siblings Unabridged
    Last edited by kidd; 08-10-06 at 02:53 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    and YG starting to show off his sad palms and WYZ finds YG suitable
    Then when WYZ shows YG the scroll;

YG will go "Ha! My Gu Gu is prettier!"

WYZ "#$^%&!!"

I'll say that Duan Yu's dad is the biggest stud in the JY universe. It just seemed like he can get some action whenever he wanted to. Also, his women knew that he was the biggest cheater but that didn't make them love him any less.

I'll say that the underrated stud is Gwok Jing since he wasn't supposed to be good looking, but 3 good looking women still fell for him, Hua Jin princess, HR, and the girl that OYK tried to kidnap.

XF is another underdog too. The women that find him attractive seemed to be obsessed with him.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Then when WYZ shows YG the scroll;

YG will go "Ha! My Gu Gu is prettier!"

WYZ "#$^%&!!"

no YG will go "wtf she looks just like my long er"

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I think it's relative and Wu yazhi is exaggerating. He's surrounded by beautiful people all the time, so his standard of judging beauty will sure be high.

Anyway, Jiang Feng tops the list in Gu Long section.
    I think XZ was really ugly, as people, other than WYZ commented on his below average looks too. Only in JY's world, can an ugly monk marry a beautiful princess. It's kinda surprising that XZ is so ugly since his mother was supposedly beautiful when she was younger, and his dad is a impressively looking man too.

Maybe Xiao Yuanshan, out of revenge, secretly messed up Xuzhu's looks.

Especially in the TVB universe, where the actress who plays Wong Yu Yin *always* ends up playing Little Dragon Girl too for some reason.

I think the actors at TVB sign some kind of contract:

If you play Wong Yu Yin in a DGSD adaptation, then you must play Little Dragon Girl in an ROCH adaptation during the same decade.

If you play East Heretic Wong Yerk See in back-to-back LOCH and ROCH adaptations, you must play Golden Haired Lion King Tse Tsun in an HSDS adaptation during the same decade.

If you play North Beggar Hung 7 Gung in a L/ROCH adaptations in one decade, you must reprise the character in the next decade's remakes.

If you play Gong Nam 7 Freaks leader Ohr Jen Ngok in L/ROCH adaptations in one decade, you must reprise the character in the next decade's remakes.

Haha. That's so true, considering WYY and XLN were played by the same actresses 3 times over.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

How does Wuyazi's name work?

Is this family name Wu and his given name Yazi, or is there some other system here?

I was also wondering the same thing with Jiumozhi, it seems usual to separate names like Linghu Chong, Zhang Wuji, Ximen Chuixue so why are their names written all at once?

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    How does Wuyazi's name work?

Is this family name Wu and his given name Yazi, or is there some other system here?

I was also wondering the same thing with Jiumozhi, it seems usual to separate names like Linghu Chong, Zhang Wuji, Ximen Chuixue so why are their names written all at once?
    I think that "Wuyazi" is a nickname. Like "Gouzazong" (literally: Dog Bastard).

The name "Jiumozhi" should be have been granted to him as a Buddhist monk, like "Xuanci," "Kongjian" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Haha. That's so true, considering WYY and XLN were played by the same actresses 3 times over.
    dunno...perahps the anyone who is innocent b/c she is secluded from the real world and described as fairy like means they look exactly a like in the producers eyes...

Since you guys are talking about actresses, which character tend to have the better looking actress, ZZR or ZM in HSDS? I'm asking because I've not really watched any adaptations of HSDS. From the novel, I would say that ZZR is slightly better looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying
    dunno...perahps the anyone who is innocent b/c she is secluded from the real world and described as fairy like means they look exactly a like in the producers eyes...
    i wonder why they don't get them to play Xiang Xiang?