Thread: It's farewell Caldecott for MediaCorp

Default It's farewell Caldecott for MediaCorp

After 50 memorable years, it's farewell Caldecott for MediaCorp

Loh Chee Kong
    [email protected]

AFTER more than half a century, MediaCorp will bid farewell to the site on which a single radio station eventually blossomed into a major broadcasting and publishing entity.

Over the years, the media company has undergone several name changes to reflect its evolving business focus, but the 70,000-sq-m landmark on the crown of Caldecott Hill has stood the test of time. However, by 2011, MediaCorp will relocate to a $300-million media complex that will house all its business units — including its TV and radio broadcasting, magazine publishing and Today newspaper arms.

In addition to the Bukit Batok site, MediaCorp is also looking to acquire space at One North's Fusionpolis, which will be developed into the national media hub.

The company's new home, which sits on leasehold land in MediaCorp's possession, is located near the intersection of the Pan Island Expressway and Bukit Batok Road.

The decision to relocate was taken by MediaCorp's board and management after much deliberation — given the attachment that many of the company's staff have with the iconic broadcast centre, said chief executive officer Lucas Chow.

While the size of the new site is comparable to the one at Caldecott Hill, moving to new premises would be more viable and would prevent any disruption to its operations, as compared to upgrading current facilities in phases, said Mr Chow.

He added: "Starting afresh is preferred as it allows us to specify our needs and tailor-make our requirements to the latest state of the art technology and standards.

"With state-of-the-art equipment, centralised facilities and improved workflow at Bukit Batok, MediaCorp will enjoy business synergies and efficiencies which will help improve our services to deliver valued content to the world."

The current site became home to Singapore's first radio broadcasting centre in the 1950s. The relocation would signal a new frontier in tandem with MediaCorp's forays into the region and the new media, but it would mean leaving behind a place that has become synonymous with broadcasting.

It is a location steeped in personal memories as well as broadcasting history. It was also here that Singapore started developing its own drama productions.

Said Madam Chua Foo Yong — the executive adviser to the CEO's office and managing director of the Singapore Media Academy, who has been at Caldecott Hill for almost three decades: "I'm sure everyone is very excited about the move, as it is fantastic to start on a fresh slate in terms of new state-of-the-art facilities as we venture forward ... But I wish that we could keep a little corner here, maybe a pavilion, to showcase Singapore's colourful broadcasting history."

Describing the move as "timely", MediaCorp's chief technology officer Tay Joo Thong said: "With a new place, there's less disruption and we can plan and shape what we want for the next stage, which is the transition to digital media."

Added the 60-year-old: "I've been here for nearly 40 years. We started with black-and-white broadcasting, then moved to colour broadcasting, to stereo and now, to digital television. A lot of exciting things took place here, especially when we had to develop some infrastructure on our own, like the transition to colour television around 1974.

"We have some ideas to preserve the history — like having a time capsule in a meaningful place on Caldecott Hill."

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/136426.asp

It's hard to believe they'll relocate after so many years. Why can't they have both places?

So now Zoe will be known as 'Queen of Bukit Batok'?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang
    So now Zoe will be known as 'Queen of Bukit Batok'?
    zoe tay have to change her title from queen of caldecott to queen of bukit batok

Hais...i doubt Zoe will last as the Queen for long...Fann Wong is then the most famous now. The reporter from BBC channel chose Fann instead of Zoe and he even said he chose fann was because she is the most famous actree in singapore. But i prefer Zoe.

I prefer Zoe Tay too. Fann Wong is like somebody with a form but no substance. It irks me off .