Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: All Xiao Long Nu Versions

i would like to say to anyone who voted for Fann, IS THAT THE ONLY VERSION YOU'VE SEEN?

I mean, i can understand people picking either Carman, LYF or Idy, but FANN was the pinnacle of BAD when it came to XLN. She WHINED for the entire series, and though pretty, did not look beautiful or cold at all. And in her "emotional scenes" it was clear that her acting was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by TiffTiff
    Yes, LDP is LYF, soggie

I forgot 1 important thing, in the '06 version, they were promoting LYF TOO MUCHHHHHH. They filmed her face from every angle you can think of. In the '94 (TVB version), they didn't focus a lot on Carmen's face. Well, they didn't make it so OBVIOUS like on LYF. Yeah, she has a doll face, she smiled too much as XLN
    Agreed w/ TiffTiff. Definitely true, "they were promoting LYF TOO MUCHHHHHH. They filmed her face from every angle you can think of. " They almost have the light shines on her from the back to front, from left to right side. They let she wore fancy pretty cloth and let hxm wore ugly poor cloth. They trying to promote on the female lead too much and not as much on the male lead, poor guy.

In roch95 although they didn't focus a lot on Carmen's face but as the result she became very famous and not mention her face is very beautiful even in poor low quality picture with no light shine her face.

Yea in roch06 they have to promote Lyf a lot in order to emphasis her beauty whereas in roch95 they didn't promote carmen but her beauty stands out / shines out the most and people can see that she is very beautiful even though not much promote on hers.
    Last edited by darknight123; 02-16-07 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    i would like to say to anyone who voted for Fann, IS THAT THE ONLY VERSION YOU'VE SEEN?

I mean, i can understand people picking either Carman, LYF or Idy, but FANN was the pinnacle of BAD when it came to XLN. She WHINED for the entire series, and though pretty, did not look beautiful or cold at all. And in her "emotional scenes" it was clear that her acting was terrible.
    Fann's xln should be consider "emotional xln". And Christopher Lee's Yg was very great.

Even though Fann and Christopher's version not as famous as roch95 but I do feel their chemistry, theirs is much MUCH Better than Hxm's and Lyf's chemistry.
    Last edited by darknight123; 02-16-07 at 02:47 AM.

Talking

Fann Wong, imo, is not beautiful enough to play as XLN, including the other girl in black outfit & braids/cornrow on her hair from page 2 too. Man, that's 1 ooglie girl to play XLN! Was that ROCH '98 a 2-tape movie? Where did they find such hideous looking couple???
    But Fann Wong has a charming & elegance & sophisticated look on her face, but not pretty.
    Last edited by TiffTiff; 02-16-07 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darknight123

Even though Fann and Christopher's version not as famous as roch95 but I do feel their chemistry, theirs is much MUCH Better than Hxm's and Lyf's chemistry.
    well, they had better "chemistry" but individually, Fann wong sucked... i prefer LYF over Fann. Fann portrayed a WHINY XLN who was not beautiful at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    well, they had better "chemistry" but individually, Fann wong sucked... i prefer LYF over Fann. Fann portrayed a WHINY XLN who was not beautiful at all.
    Yeah agreed, Fann and Christopher had much "better chemistry" than Hxm's and Lyf's.

Just curious, 0-0-0, who do you "prefer" over Lyf?

I would prefer Carmen over LYF. LYF is just another emotional XLN. It's a pity that such a great big production and that's all they can do? What more over their love doesn't even touch me as andy & idy did. What a Big Disappointment!

Yeah agreed, Fann and Christopher had much "better chemistry" than Hxm's and Lyf's.

I would rate Idy, LYF and Carman each with some faults. Idy probably was the best all round, Carman had the coldness- occasional stiffness- but overall the chemistry with Louis Koo really made her performance work. LYF's dance background and flexibility helped with her aesthetically, and she is also young enough to portray the part, although i don't think she looks particularly pretty in ROCH. She could not carry the "icy" XLN that Carman did, though the 3rd edition XLN was more emotional.

Senior Member invisible_dolphinbay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ann_fang
    I'm not sure whether I like the 06 version or not. The scenerie was the best, also the technique, but the storyline was cut badly. It was always:
    - Long Er, I do miss you so much
    - Guo Er, i do miss you too. But I have to go so you have to find me again.
    It went on like that all the time.
    It was touching in the first time, but they couldn't stop playing Hide And Seek. That annoyed me so bad.
    isn't that SUPPOSED to be the plotline of ROCH. XLN left yang guo a total of 4 times, which happened in every ROCH, so why should ROCH 06 take the blame for the plot?

I would actually commend ROCH 06 for having a rather short time span between their reunions and managing to keep it interesting so viewers aren't watching the drama just in anticipation of the two main leads finding each other.
    dolphin_bay

Exclamation

I didn't watch all of the ROCH's versions of xiao long nu but the only one I've watched is ROCH 95 with Carmen Lee & Louis Koo. Started with all of them but the only one I've finished and never got bored of is the 95 version. This was the most memorable series I've ever seen in terms of ROCH's story. It was just a spark that hit when I saw this series. I didn't like the old versions because it was too 'old' and the colour is bad LOL. I admit that judging by the scenery and stuff in ROCH 06 is better but it's all technology (tech can do wonders) if there wasn't high tech, I don't think ROCH06 would be as successful and memorable as the ROCH95 version. I found the ROCH 06 version very fake and unbelievable (sorry for those who disagree and there will be people who'll disagree ). This is just like Smiling Proud Wonderer, I think TVB's version is better than the other versions (a bit off-topic here).

MY VOTE GOES TO ROCH 95 Carmen & Louis
    Currently watching: --
    Anticipating: GOONG 2 (original), HYD (Korean), Palace Scheme, Grand Entreprenur

Besides some bad acting in ROCH'06, the age difference between the two main lead are very different therefore having no chemistry. I remember some scenes where HXM was caressing LYF's face, his hands were bigger than her face!

Lets put it this way. Hxm and Lyf protrayed the kinds of couple Yg and Xln that they desires to have sex or wants to have sex. On the other hand Louis and Carmen protrayed the kinds of couple with deep strong lasting love. Seeing roch06 you'll get the feeling that the couple wants to have sex however when seeing roch95 you'll feels that the couple is nothing sex but rather only with pure love and with ever strong deep love. That's what makes roch 95 is sooo memorable even though it's such a low poor budget series. Louis and Carmen's amazing chemistry made up the low budget.
    Last edited by darknight123; 02-23-07 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j-walker
    I didn't watch all of the ROCH's versions of xiao long nu but the only one I've watched is ROCH 95 with Carmen Lee & Louis Koo. Started with all of them but the only one I've finished and never got bored of is the 95 version. This was the most memorable series I've ever seen in terms of ROCH's story. It was just a spark that hit when I saw this series. I didn't like the old versions because it was too 'old' and the colour is bad LOL. I admit that judging by the scenery and stuff in ROCH 06 is better but it's all technology (tech can do wonders) if there wasn't high tech, I don't think ROCH06 would be as successful and memorable as the ROCH95 version. I found the ROCH 06 version very fake and unbelievable (sorry for those who disagree and there will be people who'll disagree ). This is just like Smiling Proud Wonderer, I think TVB's version is better than the other versions (a bit off-topic here).

MY VOTE GOES TO ROCH 95 Carmen & Louis
    I'm totally agreed w/ u j-walker. Roch95 is such a memorable series even w/out high tech and high money. If roch06 w/out the high tech and big money I'm sure don't think the series would be as successful and memorable as the ROCH95 version. Louis' and Carmen's beautiful chemistry is much more memorable and better than Hxm's and Lyf's. Roch95 has a REAL looking lover couple whereas Roch06 has a brother/sister looking couple.
    Last edited by darknight123; 02-23-07 at 01:57 AM.

I'm totally agreed w/ u j-walker. Roch95 is such a memorable series even w/out high tech and high money. If roch06 w/out the high tech and big money I'm sure don't think the series would be as successful and memorable as the ROCH95 version. Louis' and Carmen's beautiful chemistry is much more memorable and better than Hxm's and Lyf's. Roch95 has a REAL looking lover couple whereas Roch06 has a brother/sister looking couple.
    Yah! Someone agrees with me. I think that the ROCH 06 version focus more on special effects rather than substance (seen in ROCH 95). Bah .....don't understand it's popularity anyways. And about the sister and brotherly love part you mentioned, I totally agree with you on that part. It looks like the guy is 2x's older than she is. It seems like a brother having romantic thoughts of her sister. LOL. But the 95 version is just so touching, I don't think I'll ever get over it. I'm also not fond of china's adaptation of the novel cause I rarely watch china series, it's mood and storyline is just so different from HK's storyline, plus I'm not familiar with the actors there. It's also too bad or unfortunate that TVB may never be able to make something close or similar to ROCH 96 and Semi Devils '97, those we're good masterpieces. Just my thoughts anyways.
    Currently watching: --
    Anticipating: GOONG 2 (original), HYD (Korean), Palace Scheme, Grand Entreprenur

ROCH 95 ftw!
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Help! I'm confused. I rented Condor Hero from Netflix, but they claim it stars Ekin Cheng.

Judging by the photos in this thread, I am watching the 2006 version starring Huang Xiaoming. The cover art Netflix shows is different than what I've seen for it here on this site. But I did see a 2006 date in the credits. I don't read Chinese. It has English subtitles but they don't translate the credits.

Are IMDB.com and Netflix wrong? Has there ever been a version of ROCH starring Ekin Cheng?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    Help! I'm confused. I rented Condor Hero from Netflix, but they claim it stars Ekin Cheng.

Judging by the photos in this thread, I am watching the 2006 version starring Huang Xiaoming. The cover art Netflix shows is different than what I've seen for it here on this site. But I did see a 2006 date in the credits. I don't read Chinese. It has English subtitles but they don't translate the credits.

Are IMDB.com and Netflix wrong? Has there ever been a version of ROCH starring Ekin Cheng?
    first of all, sniffles, welcome to the forum!

Based on what you've stated, there absolutely no roch version starting Ekin Cheng. There are totally 7 roch versions so far includes the newest one, & they are:

1.) roch 1976 TVB starting Ti Long Ming & Luo Le Lin (oldest version)
    2.) roch 1983 TVB starting Idy Chan & Andy Lau
    3.) roch '84 Taiwan starting Pan Yan Tze & Meng Pe
    4.) roch '95 TVB starting Carman Lee & Louis Koo
    5.) roch '98 Taiwan Richie Ren & Jacqline Wu
    6.) roch '89 Singapore starting Christopher Lee & Fann Wong
    7.) roch 2006 China starting Huang Xiaoming & LYF

Source: http://www.tvbsquare.com/jingyong.htm

beside there's a Japanese roch version too.
    Last edited by Pharaoh; 03-07-08 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    Hi sniffles,
    There was never a ROCH with Ekin, but there was a TVB drama called The Condor Heroes Return starring Ekin Cheng and Marco Ngai. It was a TVB-conceived prequel to LOCH, which told the story of South Emperor (played by Ekin) Duan and North Beggar Hong 7 (played by Marco).

Here's a link to the VCD for sale at Yesasia. Is that the poster you saw?
    http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...id-1003443703/

More info can be found here.
    http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/productions.php?pID=81

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    first of all, sniffles, welcome to the forum!

Based on what you've stated, there absolutely no roch version starting Ekin Cheng. There are totally 7 roch versions so far includes the newest one, & they are:

1.) roch 1976 TVB starting Ti Long Ming & Luo Le Lin (oldest version)
    2.) roch 1983 TVB starting Idy Chan & Andy Lau
    3.) roch '84 Taiwan starting Pan Yan Tze & Meng Pe
    4.) roch '95 TVB starting Carman Lee & Louis Koo
    5.) roch '98 Taiwan Richie Ren & Jacqline Wu
    6.) roch '89 Singapore starting Christopher Lee & Fann Wong
    7.) roch 2006 China starting Huang Xiaoming & LYF

Source: http://www.tvbsquare.com/jingyong.htm

beside there's a Japanese roch version too.
    Thanks, Pharoah! Especially for the link. Somehow Netflix must have got Condor Hero (ROCH 2006 China) confused with the series Hoju mentions. And whoever did Ekin Cheng's filmography on IMDB must have made the same mistake - plus if you click the link in the title there, it takes you to a (very brief) description of the Japanese animated version!

I was first introduced to ROCH through the '89 Singapore version, but I'm really enjoying the China version. I've seen some of the '83 version as well. It's sad that these stories aren't known in the West and aren't being translated into English.

LOL! This is probably a discussion that will never end.

Between Idy, Carman, and LYF, they all have different looks. Idy Chan has a classic, beautiful type look. Carman has more of a mature, stunning beauty. LYF has an adorable, cute and flawless look. Between Carman and LYF, Carman is prettier in my opinion. I think Idy Chan is a goddess! Both Idy Chan and Carman are stunning beauties.

Terms of which XLN I perferred, it would be Carman's over LYF's. Carman portrayed the character extremely well. She was icy cold and heartless at first and later turned to a tender warm hearted person. Her acting is simple and natural. She also had the best comtume and hairstyle as XLN, simple! LYF's portrayal wasn't all too bad. She was obviously young and cute. At times she was emotional and she acted that well.

Louis Koo was alright as YG. He's always been one of my favourite actors and Im sure that he could have done better with this role. Huang Xiao Ming is one of my favourite Mainland actors. I thought her acted alright as YG as well. I must admit, HXM was annoying at times so watching Louis was much better. Louis Koo was a better YG in my perspective. Terms of look, Louis wins but I think both are handsome in general

When comparing the 95 and 06 version, I perfer the 1995 version. Of course, it had a much better and convicing cast. Seriously, so many characters were miscasted in the Mainland version. In terms of look or acting, they didn't fit their role. I thought the costumes and hairstyles were wack! TVB costumes are always much more simple and beautiful. The fighting scenes in the 2006 one was more impressive though. I loved how XLN fighted. LYF was very flexible and elegant. I was quite impressed. Besides that, there was too much effects which I didn;t like.

I only managed to watch some parts of the 06 versions mainly to watch how HXM and LYF portrayed the characters. It was better than what I had expected, considering I rarely ever watch Mainland's adaptions of JY novels. However, it still didn't stand out to me.

But, Idy Chan is and always will be my favourite XLN for various reasons. The 1983 adaption is also my favourite. It really annoys me seeing people say, oh that version is too old to watch, newer adaptions are obviously better. Well, not exactly. I mean, it was back in the early 80's. There wasn't much technology yet, the 1983 adaption still was very well produced. I personally think that the even the 2006 version with all the effects can't even compare to this one.

The 1983 Version has the best cast! Andy Lau is simply the best YG! He acted from a young witty to a mature YG without overacting or exagerating it. But I think the costumes and looks of Louis Koo is better then Andy. Idy Chan, simply amazing! XLN is not an easy role to play because of the different traits and emotions needed to be portrayed. I personally find this character to be boring. Carman acted very well as XLN and perhaps, the closests to the novel but I did find her boring to watch. Where as Idy, she had the mixture of everything. She was emotional and sometimes cold hearted but she was also innocent and loving at the same time. I didn't find her XLN boring to watch at all. Everyone else acted excellent. I perfer this cast over the 95. I'd only say, I like Theresa Lee's Guo Xiang better than the actress in the 83 version. This one was too old, had too much make up for a 16 year old, couldn't really act and was some what annoying. Theresa was much more cuter and was able to bring out Guo Xiang charisma within a short time. Same goes for Lu Wushang and her cousin. The hand to hand fighting scenes were awesome! The music was memorable. Not to mention, the chemistry between Andy and Idy was amazing! I absolutely adore this couple!

So, IMP:

The best XLN terms of acting - Idy Chan
    Terms of looks - Carman Lee
    Best YG - Andy Lau
    Terms of looks - Louis Koo
    Best chemistry - Andy & Idy
    Best looking couple - Louis & Carman