Thread: Proof that Reverend Kongjian has reached the peak of perfection in lightness kung fu?

Default Proof that Reverend Kongjian has reached the peak of perfection in lightness kung fu?

When we speak of martial arts in the Jin Yong universe, DGSD is considered the peak of extremity. Specifically, when we speak of lightness kung fu, Duan Yu with his Treading Waves Lightness Steps is one of the most revered. And yet, I have found some evidence which implies that the best qing gong (hing gung) of DGSD may not be on par with the profound lightness kung fu of Reverend Kongjian from HSDS.

In DGSD, when Xuzhu tried to jump over a cliff (after receiving full strengths from 3 Xiaoyao Sect sages), it is written: 这五丈阔的深谷说宽不宽,但要一跃而过,却也非世间任何轻功所能。 Roughly: It is impossible for any lightness kung fu from this era to offer the ability the jump over a distance of 5 zhang (50 feet).

In HSDS, Reverend Kongjian dashed to a distance of 4 zhang away in a flash. Jin Yong used the term "floating" to describe this feat, so it sounds like Kongjian used one leap to reach a distance of 4 zhang.

So, DGSD's best lightness kung fu < 5 zhang
    while Reverend Kongjian >= 4 zhang.
    Clearly, this would imply that Kongjian (who may not have utilized his fullest lightness skills) is on par with the finest lightness leaper from the mightiest era (Duan Yu or Xuzhu).

Thanks, MisterM, for your excellent inspiration behind this discovery.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Leaping over a 5 zhang long chasm doesn't seem at all to be like dashing 4 zhang over solid ground.

I mean, the term "floating" might be used but I don't think Kong Jian levitated over 4 zhang or anything like that. A series of quick dashes, with the feet touching the ground only an instant each time, can well be considered "floating".

Also when moving over solid ground, one can project force against the ground in order to remain in the air. When jumping over a chasm there is nothing to use force against.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    Leaping over a 5 zhang long chasm doesn't seem at all to be like dashing 4 zhang over solid ground.

I mean, the term "floating" might be used but I don't think Kong Jian levitated over 4 zhang or anything like that. A series of quick dashes, with the feet touching the ground only an instant each time, can well be considered "floating".

Also when moving over solid ground, one can project force against the ground in order to remain in the air. When jumping over a chasm there is nothing to use force against.
    Obviously, if Kongjian touched the ground during his leap, then that would be vastly inferior to a single leap.

The argument is whether he did touch the ground or not. I interpret the "floating" description as a hint that he did not touch the ground.

can you provide me the exact passage where it talks about Kongjian's lightness art?
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Actually, upon consulting the novel more carefully, I realized that there is this sentence: 我转身之时,只道他离开我只不过两三尺,哪知他一拍之下,立即飘出四丈,身法之快,步法之轻,实是匪夷所思。

So, I guess it implies that Reverend Kongjian probably did tap more than once on the ground gently to propell his unfathomably fast movement.
    Last edited by PJ; 10-31-06 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Actually, upon consulting the novel more carefully, I realized that there is this sentence: 我转身之时,只道他离开我只不过两三尺,哪知他一拍之下,立即飘出四丈,身法之快,步法之轻,实是匪夷所思。

So, I guess it implies that Reverend Kongjian probably did tap more than once on the ground gently to propell his unfathomably fast movement.
    Btw, the term 'floating' seems to be used in alot of lightness kungfu descriptions.

哪知他一拍之下,立即飘出四丈 But this sentence seems to me that he tapped once only. Maybe the rest of the taps are in the 'floating'.

Here is another showcase of awesome leaping that may put the lightness kung fu of DGSD standards to shame. At least, it makes the DGSD era lightness kung fu seem not so hot.

In Smiling Proud Wanderers, two martial artists from Wudang (whose kung fu are below Priest Chongxu and Linghu Chong) once again made a leap out to a distance of several zhang. Their leap was described as bird-like.

那两名汉子至此方始摆脱了令狐冲目光的羁绊,同时向后纵出,便如两头大鸟一般,稳稳的飞出数丈之外。群豪忍不住齐声喝采,他二人剑法如何,难以领会,但这一下倒纵,跃距之远,身法之美,谁都知道乃是上乘功 夫。

Are these the two that Linghu Chong owned with his eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing
    Are these the two that Linghu Chong owned with his eyes?
    Precisely. Linghu Chong and his Unescapable Stare of Death.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Precisely. Linghu Chong and his Unescapable Stare of Death.
    Ke Zhen'er would have beaten LHC for this kind of fighting then.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!