Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kyumei Byoto 24 Ji (24 Hours Emergency Ward) 1-3

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    It sounds like their characters were more 3-dimensional in the first series. I found both of them rather flat in part 3. You'll have to let me know which installment you like best after you're done with part 1.

Lol, one person you'll never be mistaken for is a Nanako fan. I'm quite neutral about her, but I definitely concur that Dr. Kosaka was more interesting to watch and she had alot more chemistry with Dr. Shindo to boot!
    Apparently Kyuumei Byoto 24-ji I was voted the best drama of its season. If there's one thing I didn't like about the first episode it was this scene where Dr Shindo gets an emergency patient who'd ingested dozens of condoms filled with heroin to expel it like the way women give birth. That utterly grossed me out.

Perhaps the focus on how the medical team deals with disaster recovery after the earthquake came at the expense of character development. But III is definitely more polished and refreshing than I which feels like a poor copy of ER. I will file my verdict soon!

TELEVIEWS by Wm. Penn
    Daily Yomiuri, January 13th & 20th, 2005

A much more interesting earthquake-related scenario will play out on the popular emergency room medical drama Kyumei Byoto Nijuyo-ji this quarter. The series, which began Jan. 11, airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on the Fuji TV network. At the end of the first episode, Tokyo is hit by a major quake.

Ensuing episodes will show how the medical team deals with the disaster on a
    professional and personal level. It is an intriguing but little discussed aspect of such a tragedy. The public expects much of first responders--police, firefighters and medical personnel--but they are not robots. In a real disaster, they will be desperately concerned about their own friends and loved ones, too.

Episode 1 begins with super doc Shindo-sensei (Yosuke Eguchi, who has further polished his medical skills on Shiroi Kyoto) returning to Japan from a tough stint as part of a medical-relief team serving in refugee camps in Africa. He is reunited with Dr. Kojima (Nanako Matsushima) at a medical conference on emergency preparedness. She is still an emergency room doc but is contemplating marriage and a move to Seattle. Also on the scene is Toru Nakamura, who has in my opinion become one of the top five actors in Japan. He plays a Diet man with big ambitions.

The series will show how medical personnel cope with disaster and how Shindo, with his overseas experience, tries to pull the disaster team into shape despite the resistance of the warmhearted but rather ineffectual Dr. Kuroki, the head of the emergency medical center.

The show's creators have evidently done a lot of research on the reality of past quakes to give the series an authentic quality that could give viewers a jolt.

Wow! Sorry but I just had to post here even though the last post was a month ago. I just want to do a bit of reminiscing. In fact, Kyumei II was what prompted me to start posting in spcnet forums

Till today, Shindo and Kosaka remain my favourite couple. Their chemistry was really electrifying. And I sure am glad to see that at least 2 people agree with me on that - everyone else seems to think Shindo and Kojima should end up together. They have little chemistry as lovers!

Well the SP, which was set outside the hospital, doesn't really show much plot development but I thought it illustrated his concern and care for her. And to just have left it all hanging like that was really mean!
    Yeah, they might as well not make a SP then. After all it did give me the idea that the main purpose was to showcase the sparks between Shindo and Kosaka again! Because that was really what stood out.

I hope there will be a part 4 and maybe they can bring Dr. Kosaka back again so they can play footsy under the operating table!
    If only. But I really don't think there will be a Part 4. Or even if there is, I don't think Matsuyuki/Kosaka will be back. They'll probably pull in a new love interest played by a popular actress. Even if there's zero chemistry between them. But yeah, it doesn't hurt to hope that Kosaka will come back after all.

Maybe a Part 4 will revitalize my love for J dramas. My interest in them kind of waned for a period, which explains my absence in this section of spcnet forums.
    -velvet_ice-
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Quote Originally Posted by velvet_ice
    Wow! Sorry but I just had to post here even though the last post was a month ago. I just want to do a bit of reminiscing. In fact, Kyumei II was what prompted me to start posting in spcnet forums

Till today, Shindo and Kosaka remain my favourite couple. Their chemistry was really electrifying. And I sure am glad to see that at least 2 people agree with me on that - everyone else seems to think Shindo and Kojima should end up together. They have little chemistry as lovers!

Yeah, they might as well not make a SP then. After all it did give me the idea that the main purpose was to showcase the sparks between Shindo and Kosaka again! Because that was really what stood out.

If only. But I really don't think there will be a Part 4. Or even if there is, I don't think Matsuyuki/Kosaka will be back. They'll probably pull in a new love interest played by a popular actress. Even if there's zero chemistry between them. But yeah, it doesn't hurt to hope that Kosaka will come back after all.

Maybe a Part 4 will revitalize my love for J dramas. My interest in them kind of waned for a period, which explains my absence in this section of spcnet forums.
    velvet_ice it's been a long while! Drs Shindo & Kosaka were the highlight of part 2 for me at least. It's difficult to imagine Drs Shindo and Kojima pairing up much less exuding such chemistry that you might be tempted to think the air around them would combust simply because of their characters and the relationship they share with each other. To me, it seemed clear that they would never transcend the bounds of their mentor-apprentice relationship, and it was definitely better that they never did since Dr Shindo never did regard Dr Kojima with the same interest and attentiveness that he did Dr Kosaka.

It would be a long shot to expect a fourth part but FujiTV might bring it back if they run out of ideas for their dramas since medical dramas do tend to pull in at least 15% per episode and Eguchi Yosuke's a popular and well-established actor. I suspect that he might not want to play a doctor again so quickly since his roles in Kyuumei Byoto and Shiroi Kyoto. And you have a point too in wondering whether Matsuyuki Yasuko will be recast as Dr Kosaka. She isn't exactly the most popular actress in the entertainment scene though but then again we don't need the most popular actress to heat up the screen as well as the viewership ratings.

velvet_ice it's been a long while!
    Yeah, truth be told I haven't really been watching J dramas nowadays. Maybe it's because my favourites (Eguchi, Matsuyuki etc etc) haven't really had any new shows recently. Or simply 'cos our local channels refuse to broadcast many J dramas.

and it was definitely better that they never did since Dr Shindo never did regard Dr Kojima with the same interest and attentiveness that he did Dr Kosaka.
    Yeap. Speaking of which, I didn't finish Kyumei III, but it really did seem to me that Dr Shindo seemed to conveniently forget about his old colleagues like Dr Baba, Dr Jojima, and EVEN Dr Kosaka. It didn't seem to have any continuity and it seemed like they just killed off Dr Kosaka and the rest (oh well, probably because they couldn't/didn't want to get the original cast back - that's the problem with sequels). Though I never did finish Kyumei III, I've seen both supporting casts and I think I prefer Dr Baba and co.

Oh by the way, do you know what Eguchi's up to now? He doesn't seem to have any upcoming projects...
    Last edited by velvet_ice; 04-09-07 at 01:34 PM.
    -velvet_ice-
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Yeah, truth be told I haven't really been watching J dramas nowadays. Maybe it's because my favourites (Eguchi, Matsuyuki etc etc) haven't really had any new shows recently. Or simply 'cos our local channels refuse to broadcast many J dramas.
    Eguchi Yosuke hasn't really been appearing in dramas but he's been active in other areas. It's common for established actors like him to star in a drama once a year or as irregularly as once in three years. After Kyuumei Byoto 24-ji III, he made two dramas - Unfair drama special (http://www.ktv.co.jp/unfair/drama.html), and the NHK four-parter Walkers ~ Maigo no Otonatachi (http://www.nhk.or.jp/drama/archives/walkers/); and four movies - Silk, Tonari Machi Sensou (http://www.tonarimachi.jp/), Unfair (http://unfair-movie.jp/index.html), and Tsukigami (http://www.tsukigami.jp/).

Matsuyuki Yasuko hasn't been in a drama since Suna no Utsuwa and since that time, she's lose quite a lot of weight and looks scarily anorexic, at least that's what I thought when I saw her in the movie Kogitsune Helen (http://www.helen-movie.jp/) which was made last year. She also appeared in Hula Girl (http://www.hula-girl.jp/index2.html) and Shikyu no Kioku (http://www.shikyu-kioku.com/)

Yeap. Speaking of which, I didn't finish Kyumei III, but it really did seem to me that Dr Shindo seemed to conveniently forget about his old colleagues like Dr Baba, Dr Jojima, and EVEN Dr Kosaka. It didn't seem to have any continuity and it seemed like they just killed off Dr Kosaka and the rest (oh well, probably because they couldn't/didn't want to get the original cast back - that's the problem with sequels). Though I never did finish Kyumei III, I've seen both supporting casts and I think I prefer Dr Baba and co.
    Haha, well I finished watching III but had lots of complaints. It's a better production in terms of the way the scenes are shot and the storyline was a refreshing change from the usual focus of medical dramas but like you, I prefer the supporting cast in II. I don't suppose they intended to get the original cast since they wrote that Dr Shindo had returned from an overseas medical stint, and thus had no affiliation to any hospital in Japan.

tis series is oso good!!! matsushima nanako is so pretty!!!!!!!!!

Matsuyuki Yasuko hasn't been in a drama since Suna no Utsuwa and since that time, she's lose quite a lot of weight and looks scarily anorexic, at least that's what I thought when I saw her in the movie Kogitsune Helen

This is quite off topic, but yeah, I saw that movie too. And I agree, she looked way too thin. Plus she had curly hair, right? Which made it worse. Anyway I saw 'Helen the Baby Fox' aka 'Kogitsune Helen' -- what did u think of it? Personally I felt it wasn't really THAT touching.. though I did get all sappy towards the end, but that was about it. The little boy's quite adorable though
    -velvet_ice-

This is quite off topic, but yeah, I saw that movie too. And I agree, she looked way too thin. Plus she had curly hair, right? Which made it worse. Anyway I saw 'Helen the Baby Fox' aka 'Kogitsune Helen' -- what did u think of it? Personally I felt it wasn't really THAT touching.. though I did get all sappy towards the end, but that was about it. The little boy's quite adorable though
    Yeah her appearance was all wrong. I liked the way she looked in Kyuumei Byoto 24-ji II and Beginner. Stylish, haughty and healthy. I watched Helen the Baby Fox on cable tv and was amazed I sat through the whole movie. I could see where it was headed from the very start, having watched so many Japanese shows, but the little fox and boy were cute so I continued watching. I wasn't really moved by it. It was too predictable, and too familiar.

Scenes from Kyuumei Byoto 24-ji III

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/ER24III.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/ScenesER24III.jpg')

i've been watch Kyumei Byoto 24 Ji 2 for 3 times straight, its so nice that i can bear watching it again and again..its a petty how underrated it is, as compared to its prequal and sequal, in my opinion its by far the best in the 3 parts..

i appreciate the fact that there is some bits and pieces of romance incorporated into the show, it makes it much more interesting, apart from the medical side of the drama..however, it is really mean for them to end the show with the romance hanging in the air, it is really unacceptable in my point of view, it is torturing me..

if only there is another sequal to the series to effectively make it clear how their relationship turns out..i believe with the same medical structure in the series, it will never be unbearable to watch..maybe they can seriously consider the possibility..

i onli watched kyumei byoto 3~
    Watched tis becoz interested in medical drama esp after "SHIROI KYOTO" craze.. And most importantly, wanna see how satomi sensei of "shiroi kyoto" plays a role of emergency doctor.. =)

Yes I'm also in the craze after watching Shiroi Kyoto, can't imagine I would enjoy a medical drama so much!!! And yes I really want to watch more of Eguchi-sensei, it seems like he plays a doctor in so many dramas in his career, and all of his best actor award come from Kyumei. Does any one know if there's Eng sub out there for them? I checked on d-addicts, on community.livejournal.com/jdramas, but I couldn't find them anywhere. For Kyumei 3, there's Eng sub but also with Chinese sub hardsubbed, so I don't know... It'll be hard to watch with so much of the screen filled with sub.
    Any suggestions? Thank you guys!!!

All series with English subs are listed on DA. If Kyumei Byoto isn't on the list, then I guess you're out of luck.

I'm sure you'll be glad to know that there'll be a fourth season starting on 11 August.

From Japan Times"

The fourth season of the popular medical drama, "Kyumei Byoto 24 Ji", which premiered in 1999, was supposed to begin on July 7, but one of the drama's stars, Yosuke Eguchi, who plays a surgeon, was involved in a motorcycle accident just as filming started.

The producers went into overdrive and came up with "directors cuts" combining footage from past series that includes Eguchi with new footage that brings back some favorite guest stars.

click to show/hide spoilers
    This week's kinkyu (emergency) special features Sae (Mao Inoue), who in season 3 repeatedly attempted suicide and thus became familiar to the workers at the Seiwa Daiichi Hospital emergency room. Now, it is Sae who saves the life of a woman who tries to kill herself. She calls an ambulance just in time. At the hospital, Dr. Kaide Kojima (Nanako Matsushima), is happy to see Sae again, and Sae tells her what has been happening in her life since the last time they met.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Kyumei4.jpg')

1 week to go!

Lol u hav been counting down, jade_frosts. Well I'm also waiting while rewatching 1 - 3...

Oh yes I am Can't resist Eguchi Yosuke.

Here's the storyline:

Shindo Issei, who has returned to Japan after the end of an international humanitarian aid medical mission in Africa, is working at the emergency medical care centre of a medical school in Yokohama but it is a hospital where all the emergency doctors have resigned. Meanwhile, Shindo’s colleague, Kojima Kaede, is being kept away from the centre because she has been sued for medical malpractice. At that moment, Sawai Etsushi, an ultra rationalist with experience working in ER in America arrives to revive the hospital which has scraped together a team of temporary doctors. Shindo, who pursue his ideals of emergency and critical care, braces himself for a confrontation with these doctors with different philosophies and a battle begins …

Kyumei Byoto 24 Ji returns for a winter special:

Time: From 9.15 p.m., 3 January 2010
    Station: Fuji TV
    Cast: Eguchi Yosuke, Matsushima Nanako, Santamaria Yusuke, Kitano Kie, Ishida Takuya, Natsuyagi Isao

I wasn't too thrilled by the acting and I still wished it wasn't Nanako but Matsuyuki Yasuko. Anyhow, I think the storytelling and production quality was quite good.

It felt like Dr. Shindo was rather sidelined in part 4. Sawai Sensei was more interesting because I couldn't quite put my finger on his character until toward the end of the series. I was surprised to learn that Matsushima Nanako won Best Actress for her role at the 62nd Television Drama Academy Awards. It's not that she was bad or anything, but certainly not so outstanding as to warrant such recognition.