Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Actresses WITHOUT English names

No, Zhang Ziyi doesn't have an English name. But at the insistance of her agents, she did reverse the order of her name (placing the surname last) when credited in Western films and media. I hear she at least initially regretted the decision. I didn't like it (and still don't) because I thought the Western media should conform to her and her culture, not the other way around.

Now, I wouldn't doubt seeing this happening more often in the future, particularly among new Chinese actors coming to work in the US (except those with given English names, like in HK). Rather than using 'adopted' English names, we'll see them changing the orientation of their given Chinese names.

For example, indications are that Liu Ye (while having no English name) will very likely be credited as Ye Liu in the upcoming film 'Dark Matter' (at least in much of the West).
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

Ma Su does not have an english name

Gong Li had always been credited as Gong Li (Chinese way). I think Ive only seen her name once or twice as Li Gong which sounds jsut odd...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    It's Tamia.
    I never knew Liu Tao that english name

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane
    No, Zhang Ziyi doesn't have an English name. But at the insistance of her agents, she did reverse the order of her name (placing the surname last) when credited in Western films and media. I hear she at least initially regretted the decision. I didn't like it (and still don't) because I thought the Western media should conform to her and her culture, not the other way around.
    I agree with you on that.
    I also dislike all these English names for other actresses....were they pressurized into getting an English name by their agents as well?
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

Well, she wants to break into Hollywood and attract English-speaking audience so she has to cater to their needs, especially since the group of Asian or Chinese actors in Hollywood is so small (not to mention that most of them have English names, eg. Michelle Yeoh, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, etc). Though I did find it rather insulting when I once read (before ZZY switched the order of her name and surname) that one of the press groups or reporter in the west wrote to ask ZZY to adopt an English name because it was too difficult to pronounce her Chinese name.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

I don't know.. Then again, when Asian families move to Western countries, they 'almost' always give their children Western names and 'almost' always change the order of their own (and their children's) Asian names. Afterall, I'm sure most Asians here who live in Western countries have Western names and/or place their surnames last. True?

Who knows.. It may prove to be a more practicle move for Asian actors to adopt Western names and change the order of their Asian names in the West. Still, I don't like it. Many actors have done quite well without doing either.

Edit: Btw, I never heard of Zhang Ziyi being asked by any one (muchless in the media) to change her name (tabloid source?). The first I ever heard of it as an issue was when I was told in mid 2005 that that was what she then wanted to do.
    Last edited by Southern Crane; 01-04-07 at 01:40 PM.
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

Edit: Btw, I never heard of Zhang Ziyi being asked by any one (muchless in the media) to change her name (tabloid source?). The first I ever heard of it as an issue was when I was told in mid 2005 that that was what she then wanted to do.
    Not change her name, but to adopt an English name like other Chinese celebrities in Hollywood.

It was reported by the Life Section of the Singapore papers some years ago. I remember it distinctively because me and my dad were discussing about the issue of everybody having to cater to the needs of English-speaking westerners.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 01-04-07 at 02:50 PM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by myedi
    I never knew Liu Tao that english name
    really? i don't know either

I didn't either, until Lady Zhuge told us all.
    Lady Zhuge knows practically everything about Asian entertainment...

no name is better than stupid name..

yoyo, evergreen, kingdom..those name makes me

Quote Originally Posted by dreamlandr
    no name is better than stupid name..

yoyo, evergreen, kingdom..those name makes me
    LOL...
    I don't like how they're all trying to be more...er....Western, but I like some of their names for their creativeness.
    ex. Ady An Yi Xuan, Tamia Liu Tao, Jue Zhou Xun (although that name sounds very Chinese-ish to me...)

Jue Zhou Xun?

her English name is Zue?

Quote Originally Posted by amen73
    her English name is Zue?
    no her english name is Jue.

Quote Originally Posted by hmschocolate
    no her english name is Jue.
    oh..i made mistake..thank u

Quote Originally Posted by amen73
    oh..i made mistake..thank u
    yeah I know I was being sarcastic

Well... Wu Chun doesn't have an English name and neither does Hu Ge, but then they're actors not actresses.

Hmm... It seems like actresses adopt English names more often than actors do? Or perhaps I'm wrong?

Though I did find it rather insulting when I once read (before ZZY switched the order of her name and surname) that one of the press groups or reporter in the west wrote to ask ZZY to adopt an English name because it was too difficult to pronounce her Chinese name.
    I know that the pronunciation thing might be true, but I still feel really insulted. Zhang Ziyi is her name, and if an American goes to China they don't have to adopt Chinese names (unless they want), so why ask Zhang Ziyi to do the same?
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    Zhang Ziyi, Fan Bing Bing, Gao Yuan Yuan, Shui Ling, and Chen Hao, to name a few.

Many Mainland Chinese/Korean/Japanese actresses don't have English names. In fact, Liu Tao is one of the few Mainland actresses with an English name.
    sometimes there is an english name mentioned (Angel) in Shui Ling´s profiles. i think she hardly ever uses it though
    Beautiful and deadly, she is a true descendant of dragon. Fighting for the forces of right and justice, she leaves a series of broken bodies and broken hearts wherever she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by akayami djiho View Post
    sometimes there is an english name mentioned (Angel) in Shui Ling´s profiles. i think she hardly ever uses it though
    Shui Ling as Angel?
    I thought Angel is Dongjie's english name

Quote Originally Posted by amen73 View Post
    Shui Ling as Angel?
    I thought Angel is Dongjie's english name
    i think the name "Angel" is refers to her stage name "Shui Ling" that also means "Water Angel" or sth
    Beautiful and deadly, she is a true descendant of dragon. Fighting for the forces of right and justice, she leaves a series of broken bodies and broken hearts wherever she goes.