+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: For or against dubbing?

  1. #21
    Senior Member kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,077

    Default

    Foreign language dubbing between countries/regions is also important for blind people. I'm not sure they 'watch' movies or not, but it's better to have all areas covered.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  2. #22
    Senior Member 0-0-0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jiang Hu
    Posts
    6,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    And I totally agree with 0-0-0 about the effort actors/actresses are putting in. Like I said, it's not a mime, so they really aren't doing all the work if they're just doing expressions.
    ok, it's 7% the words you say, 38% the tone you say it in. SO, the actresses and actors are doing just 55% of the work, and the dubbing artist is doing 45%

    A lot of actors and actresses, even some i like, i would not want to hear doing their own voices, but for upcoming, new stars coming up, i would like to see the shift towards people able to speak proper chinese AS WELL as being able to act.

  3. #23
    Member perfectrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NEVERLAND
    Posts
    160

    Default

    I'm OK with dubbing as long as it's the original language. coz maybe the dubbing will make the movies better. but still I think that's only for some actors/actresses with bad/average voices, for the one who already has a good voice, I prefer they use their original voice. I still like original voice most than any other dubbing systems. For foreign movies, they still can put text translation below the screen.

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Back-of-Beyond, UK
    Posts
    37

    Default

    For me, I had always prefered dubbing. However, saying that it has to be done well and this is often not the case....

    To be honest, I was initially put off by subtitles but now (after loads of k, j and tw drama watching!) it's almost become second nature to read and watch at the same time! So now I much prefer subtitles, although it means more concentration being placed in watching something.

    Actually, it doesn't matter if it's dubbed or subtitled, as long as there is SOMETHING for us foreigners so we can enjoy these films and dramas too.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Lady Zhuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    It depends. Sometimes dubbing is absolutely necessary, especially nowadays with the increased number of joint productions. Just one thespian with a weird, out-of-place accent can ruin the feel of a series. I'm all for good quality dubbing because then I can focus on the characters onscreen or multitask rather than having to read dialogues at the bottom of the screen. Like for TVB series, even though it's always the same 5-10 people's voices dubbing in Mandarin, I generally prefer that to the original Cantonese. For Japanese and Korean series, I prefer subtitles because I like the sound of those languages. And of course subtitles are better if you're interested in learning the original language and training your ears to its pronunciation.

    I've noticed that unlike Korean series, Japanese ones are rarely, if ever, dubbed in Mandarin. Is that because names would be too awkward or perhaps there'd be too much of a Godzilla effect?
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 01-28-07 at 12:46 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  6. #26
    Senior Member L4love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    422

    Default

    well it really depends. when i found a series that i think my family would not like to watch, i watched it with subs by myself. but when i really like a series and wanted to share with family, i need dubs for that.
    but overall, i actually like subs more because i could hear their real voices, which will express the story better.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    208

    Default

    I prefer Viet dubs for wuxia ones, and English subs for everything else. The reason is wuxia language sounds weird if it's translated to English. But when it is translated to Viet, it retains the wuxia feel via the use of Sino-Viet.

  8. #28
    Senior Member hmschocolate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hinako442003
    I prefer Viet dubs for wuxia ones, and English subs for everything else. The reason is wuxia language sounds weird if it's translated to English. But when it is translated to Viet, it retains the wuxia feel via the use of Sino-Viet.
    good point. One of the main reason why it's almost impossible to translate something like Huan Zhu Ge Ge into English with all the idioms/phrases and poetry.

  9. #29
    Junior Member Snow*Flake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    I'm against dubbing. Even with the Vietnamese dubbing of series nowadays with TVB series' is terrible. The voice actress' voice is annoying and I can't stand it. I prefer subtitles.

    yeah i totally agree with you
    they should use a simalar kind of voice to that actress to be honest

  10. #30
    Senior Member IloveMimiLo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    522

    Default

    I think if the dubbing company is good, then there is no problem. I am Cambodian and I watch Chinese series dubbed in khmer, and some of the company suck, and some are good. And I think the dubbing dose make a difference, some of the series are being re-dubbed because of the horrible job one company is doing. So dubbing is only good when you have good voice actors.

  11. #31
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,610

    Default

    One of the biggest problems of a bad dubbing job is the failure to synchronize the vocal tracks with sound effects. Often, the overlapping tracks don't sound "natural." With good dubbing, however, it is impossible to notice.

  12. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2

    Default Dubbing/Subtitling

    Most of the dubbing which is taken care by the original producer or studio which originally made the movie/programme ensures a professional team has done the dubbing work.

    Often it is observed that when TV/Cable/DVD etc companies buy "bulk" programmes from foreign & then scout for lowest pricing & hence the creation of "bad dubbing" centers to fulfill their demands.

    Other than ther are professiona studios in each country which make same quality output for dubbing for each content segment

    If the audience rejects or makes a noise of such work...it will be stopped...slowly though.

    Blind audience do watch "Foreign Language programming" by a technique called "Audio Description" whereby each scene is described in precise details by a single Narrator

    Lawrence Vishnu
    Media Movers, Inc.

  13. #33
    Senior Member ghostdarTeal'c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver
    Posts
    4,330

    Default

    im no fan of dubbed series.....there are lots of korean/japanese series aired here, but almost all are dubbed into chinese, given the second largest ethnic here is chinese. i dont like watching dubbed series, coz it comes out weird and sometimes the voices arent suitable for the actor/actress.....i especially hate dubbed anime......every scene seemed awkward to me....
    for me, to really feel a character is to hear his/her voice, how well he/she is into her character and how evident the depth of each character all depends on the intonation and pitch of actor/actress voice. somehow that's the one thing that is lacking for dubbed series....
    but the other main reason why im all against dubbed series is because i like learning new languages, hearing the tones and stuff......although id never master the language by just watching the series, it does provide insight on the language itself. How am i to do this if almost all foreign series is dubbed into native tongue?
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 02-09-07 at 02:57 AM.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

    - The Spaniard -

  14. #34
    Senior Member Lady Zhuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c
    im no fan of dubbed series.....there are lots of korean/japanese series aired here
    Chinese-dubbed Japanese series air where you are? I've yet to come across a single one.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  15. #35
    Senior Member ghostdarTeal'c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver
    Posts
    4,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Chinese-dubbed Japanese series air where you are? I've yet to come across a single one.
    well, i live somewhere in the southeast asia.... im not sure if its the program they buy or the TV station...i dont really know how things work....DJG was in mandarin when aired here, only when i bought the DVD could i enjoy the soft, serene voice of Lee Young Ae... and like i said, almost all korean/japanese drama are dubbed into mandarin...
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 02-09-07 at 04:09 AM.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Lady Zhuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c
    well, i live somewhere in the southeast asia.... im not sure if its the program they buy or the TV station...i dont really know how things work....DJG was in mandarin when aired here, only when i bought the DVD could i enjoy the soft, serene voice of Lee Young Ae... and like i said, almost all korean/japanese drama are dubbed into mandarin...
    I know alot of Korean series are dubbed in Mandarin, but Japanese series too? Which ones were dubbed? All the ones I've watched have been subtitled.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  17. #37
    Senior Member ghostdarTeal'c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver
    Posts
    4,330

    Default

    im sorry i couldnt name any of them, coz i dont watch japanese/korean series....i only see the ads or caught a glimpse of them when i was changing the channels....the only korean series that i watch was DJG. im no fan of mushy-mushy, love story, teenage series, so im never watch korean/jap dramas. DJG was an exception, it's so damn good i spent almost $60 for the third part of the 70-ep series....
    i dont like cantonese series that is dubbed into mandarin too.....i grew up with cantonese so i find it hard to get used to mandarin, especially when its not the real voice of my fav actor/actress.
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 02-09-07 at 04:31 AM.

  18. #38
    Senior Member Lady Zhuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c
    im sorry i couldnt name any of them, coz i dont watch japanese/korean series....i only see the ads or caught a glimpse of them when i was changing the channels....the only korean series that i watch was DJG. im no fan of mushy-mushy, love story, teenage series, so im never watch korean/jap dramas. DJG was an exception, it's so damn good i spent almost $60 for the third part of the 70-ep series....
    .
    I see, but I don't think Japanese series are dubbed in Mandarin. Otherwise there would be such versions for sale like with Korean series.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  19. #39
    Senior Member ghostdarTeal'c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver
    Posts
    4,330

    Default

    perhaps so..maybe its the station that's been dubbing....i saw ranma 1/2 in mandarin, and it was horrible....

  20. #40
    Senior Member Lady Zhuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c
    perhaps so..maybe its the station that's been dubbing....i saw ranma 1/2 in mandarin, and it was horrible....
    I'm referring to live-action series, not anime.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Similar Threads

  1. khmer Dubbing Companies
    By IloveMimiLo in forum Global Series Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-07, 04:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts