View Poll Results: Who should TVB kick out?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gigi Lai

7 9.46%
  • Myolie Wu

15 20.27%
  • Charmaine Sheh

31 41.89%
  • Sonija Kwok

20 27.03%
  • Tavia Leung

9 12.16%
  • Linda Chung

21 28.38%
  • Lelia Tong

7 9.46%
  • Kate Tsui

24 32.43%
  • Mandy Cho

27 36.49%
  • Shirley Yeung

21 28.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which actress should TVB kick out?

Default Charmaine Sheh

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    i wouldn't call kidd an advocate for the fair and just. we're all biased in our own ways. some of us like to see bad acting for what it is and not sugar coat it because the actress happens to take on likeable roles. and others like actresses because of their roles (which charmaine is quite lucky in this aspect since most of her fans don't bother to differentiate between acting and roles). i find her nauseating even in the sweetest roles because i cannot see the difference in her portrayal of any role. acting is acting, not fake crying or trying to look sweet and desperately pretending to look young and beautiful! charmaine should seriously take a look at ada choi, noel leung, catherine hung, sheren tang and even tavia yeung to learn what acting is all about. and tvb should kick out charmaine so that the quality of acting isn't going down the drain as future generations turn to her so called acting skills and try to mimick them if they think that tvb will give them a tvb award for that kind of acting. tvb awards are rigged...it's all about favortism and no longer about art. kicking charmaine out and discontinuing promoting useless pageant heads like linda chung and shirley yeung would be a good first step towards the return to appreciating real acting and art. but we know tvb is cheap. one can only hope for so much!
    With respect to fans and bashers of Charmaine Sheh,

Hmm, I must admit that after watching a lot of Charmaine’s TVB series, my feelings for her pretty much remain neutral. In that case, the characters she was portraying will normally determine whether or not I am particularly fond of her. However, I am extremely curious to find out why TVB is sort of promoting her in the sense that she has received many leading roles. What exactly does TVB see in her?

Since Charmaine is an actress, I think it would be most accurate to evaluate her acting skills first. With her level of acting experiences, can Charmaine really act that well? I surmise the answer would be “no” since we don’t see much diversities in Charmaine’s portrayals of various characters. However, from what I know, Charmaine has most often been given the roles of sweet, innocent, intelligent, and beautiful girls. Hence, is it really fair to blame Charmaine for not being able to display her versatility just because the directors has chosen her for many similar roles? I don’t think she has much of a choice in this aspect.

Of course, beauty is the primary thing to give someone a really great first impression. In this sense, is Charmaine of striking beauty? I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder; however, I know there are certain people who can be universally beautiful. Nevertheless, Charmaine is certainly not one of those people. I personally feel Charmaine has some attracting features; however, she is still only above average when it comes to appearance. People can easily find actresses who are both prettier and uglier than Charmaine!

Hmm, since Charmaine does not possess the beauty of an angel or demonstrate remarkable acting talents, why has she been starring in a lot of TVB series? Is her popularity coming mostly from the fans? Judging from this current thread in Spcnet forum, the answer is “ABSOLUTELY NOT.” I surmise Charmaine does not particularly have a really strong fan base in Spcnet forum.

So, Charmaine’s bashers, please open my eyes on what exactly is so horrible about Charmaine? Is it just because she has been playing many leading roles, while constantly falling short when it comes to exposing spectacular acting skills?

On the other hand, Charmaine’s fans, please enlighten me on what exactly is so captivating regarding Charmaine? Is it only because she has been portraying likeable characters in many series for a pretty long time? Are you fonder of the characters Charmaine is representing rather than her abilities as an actress?

Charmaine is undoubtedly pretty fortunate for being chosen for the roles of more favorable characters. I know one should have a distinction between the actors/actresses and the characters they are portraying; however, such recognition would be rather difficult to make since the actors/actresses and their respective characters are inseparable in series!

However, if the actors/actresses don’t have at least the basic acting skills, then they would probably turn the initially likeable characters into not so preferable ones!

I would really appreciate any feedback from both groups of people!

Thanks,

I don't think Mandy Cho should be on the list. Don't get me wrong, it's not because she's a great actress, but because TVB already kicked her out. I think they should stop promoting Kate Tsui.

This is a tough choice. The only one I will definitely not choose is Tavia. She has yet joined the A grade actresses ranking but she's not exactly horrible. She's one of the few younger generation TVB actresses I like.

Myolie and Charmaine - Not my fav. Don't mind watching their shows but would appreciate if I don't see them that often.

Sonija and Shirley - as long as they are not the leading characters, I'm fine with them.

Mandy Cho - she can't act but I don't think she's with TVB anymore or if she is, she's not promoted by TVB. Glad about that.

Gigi, Linda, Leila and Kate - tough choice. I don't know who to pick. Will decide after serious consideration. Seriously, I'd have much preferred seeing them in supporting roles rather than getting highly promoted by TVB (especially Kate and Linda).

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Linda is alright, Kate and Mandy, all three haven't appeared enough in series to be on my annoying list. Charmaine has been taking lead roles for almost 10 years in TVB but she has not improved that much.
    i think most people are bais people they hate her.. the audience got sick of her because they seen her in too many series.. But lets look at this way, how many of leading actresses in TVB do we have. Most of them has aged and the young ones are rather inexperience. Actresses like Kenix, gigi, melissa are around for like forever. But it's the same case for Gigi whom has alot of haters and lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by tvbtoday View Post
    I don't think Mandy Cho should be on the list. Don't get me wrong, it's not because she's a great actress, but because TVB already kicked her out. I think they should stop promoting Kate Tsui.
    tvb didn't kick her out..she decided to stop acting because she said that it's hard work and it gives her bags under her eyes. She's only focusing on doing programs now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dai Hup View Post
    However, from what I know, Charmaine has most often been given the roles of sweet, innocent, intelligent, and beautiful girls. Hence, is it really fair to blame Charmaine for not being able to display her versatility just because the directors has chosen her for many similar roles? I don’t think she has much of a choice in this aspect.
    She has been given several potentially challenging roles with so much room to experience and play around with different styles but sadly, i dont see her make much use of opportunities as such when given to her. I've long avoided her serials but several unique and complex roles include Yee Shun in War and Beauty or even Zhou Zhiruo in HSDS'00. Even her characters in "Angels on Mission" and "Point of no Return" etc aren't the usual sweet and bland type of damsel role and could be created to be potentially interesting but sadly, Charmaine doesnt make it so but instead, uses the same old bland and boring set of emotions and style for these portrayals.

In addition, there always seems to be something which is a little fake and bland about her acting style to me. She used to be really stiff and raw (granted, since she was new to the scene) but though her acting has improved over the years, she still lacks that natural ease and energy in her when she acts imo. I havent watched her last few serials but all her fans claim she does an excellent job (she even won a best actress award for one of it) for all of them though.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Toby & Kate for me. x.x
    Christine Ng, Joyce Tang, Leila Tong, Shirley Yeung & Tavia Yeung.
    Raymond Lam & Roger Kwok

Linda Chung...she's too overpromoted. I wouldn't say kick her out cause she's not too good, not too bad but it's kind of annoying seeing an actress on so many series. Her acting is rough but not horrible...it's just her voice. Like how others say Charmaine has a chicken voice, she has this little baby voice and is always portraying the innocent type (can be annoying at times) but maybe she'll get rid of that later on...
    Currently watching: --
    Anticipating: GOONG 2 (original), HYD (Korean), Palace Scheme, Grand Entreprenur

LOL what a funny post. well everyone here shares different opinions. so here is my opinion.

since im a big fan of tavia yeung i think she shoudn't even be on the list in the first place. my first series with her was whatever it takes. i was unfamilar with the actress but i thought her performance was pretty good. after watching her other works i thought she improved from time to time. she's certainly at the A level in her acting. thats the thing i truly like about her, even if she's does a great job she still shows improvment. that's what an actress needs in order to be known. i dont find her acting annoying or anything near that.

a lot here are going against charmaine sheh but i think she's not too bad. she does usually get the innocent, sweet type roles which can be hecka annoying sometimes. i first saw her in flying fox in the snowy mountain and she made the character really boring, well the character is suppose be boring like that. i liked her ever since because of her sweet little chemistry with sunny chan. her performance in time off was alright, not her best and still with no improvement. when she was in heaven sword and dragon sabre 2000 i thought she slightly improved. unlike her other roles she was given a different one. even if they toally changed the character of zhou zhirou who isn't even suppose to be evil, charmine did a good job. she went from a sweet and innocent girl to an jealous and evil one, and she did it well. that's probably one of her best performances i think. in yummy yummy it seemed like she and tavia switched roles. charmaine got the strong role of the older sister. i thought she pulled it off, not her best but still. i hate how TVB promotes her way too much. they need to notice and promote other stars who actually have the talent and potential, and most important who deserve to. i agree with someone earlier. TVB has given charmaine many chances to improve yet she wont seem to. they've given her all different types of roles to test her acting skills but she end up dissapointing the audience. this shows she's not versatile. i really dont have anything against charmaine. she acting may suck at times but i still like the girl. she shouldn't be kicked out, just leave her with her boring roles. even if she's annoying at least she does it well.

myolie wu, is another one of my favourite actresses. she may not be the prettiest one out there but she's no that bad. she has a cute side of her. again like tavia she's an actress who improves from time to time. theres not any role that she didn't do well in. i first saw her in net deception but because of her superduper ugly wig i didn't know that was her until i looked back. she acting started off good and is still. this girl has potential and shouldn't deserve to be kicked out for no reason. seems like acting is a big thing for her and she gives it all she has. never should she be kicked out of TVB.

gigi lai, what can i say. i like her but she's not one of my favourite actresses. this girl can act unlike some others but sometimes i feel she's kinda wooden. she can't seem to express the emotions that they character needs to do. she may look cute and pretty i can't feel her character. i think her best role was in fate twisters, that i couldn't argue with anything about her performance and she showed me that she has the talent. in chor lau heung 2001 i thought she was adorable and i loved her character but like i said this was one of her roles that she was stuck one with the facial expression and emotions. in heaven sword dragon sabre 2000 everyone thought she was great as chui man, thus also thinking she's the best chui man ever. i disagree, her performance wa alright. she showed that the mongolian princess was intelligent, witty, sophisticated, AND annoying. she made the character super annoying i couldn't stand an of the scenes where she was jealous of mok ke being with other girls. chui man the character can be jealous but she doesn't clearly show it. she does what it takes to proves she's the one for him yet gigi lai didnt do that. definitely not one of my favourite roles. overall gigi's acting to me is alright. sometimes good and sometimes not.

Lelia Tong, i like her. i think she's pretty versatile who can take any role. my most favourite was watching her for the first time in aqua heroes. she was an intelligent girl with passion for swimming yet was witty. she so well, even if the character was dislikeable i couldn't hate her. sometimes her roles maybe boring but thats just the character she has to play not her acting. i notice she does bring out a little more something to put more life into the character. another actress who doesn't deserve to be kicked out. she improves all the time, and always showing great performance.

sonjia kwok, now she's not one of my favourite but i dont hate her. her acting, hmm i don't have much to say about it. it's alright, she usually gets the boring types roles and she just keeps it that way. she doesn't put a little more something into it. she slightly imrpoves from time to time but yeah she doesn't need to be kicked out.

linda chung, now theres something about the girl i dont really like. i dont know what it is but her acting to me seems really annoying. i especially hate her sweet type roles. i think she's a cute actress, not pretty or anything just cute. i dont see much improvement from her, but no need to be kicked out. give her time and maybe she can prove me wrong. im currently watching best bet and im looking carefully at her acting skills. she's doing a pretty good job so far.

Kate Tsui, Mandy Cho, Shirely Yung gotta go. whatever happens to them i don't care at all. they'r just plain blahhh

Kick Charmaine Sheh out: she is in too many series.