Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Default Brokeback Mountain (2005)

I read the book today and I was left in tears. Now just watching the trailer I can imagine how affecting and heart-wrenching Lee Ang made it.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.altfg.com/Stars/brokeback_mountain_poster.jpg')

IMDB info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/

Official website: http://www.brokebackmountain.com/

I'm definitely looking forward to this one! Thank goodness Lee Ang has decided to return to the kind of movies he does best (I still shudder when I think of The Hulk).

Winner of Best Picture in the Venice International Film Fest (2005).

"We set out to change the world... ended up just changing ourselves."
    "What's wrong with that?"
    "Nothing, if you don't look at the world."

Yes, I agree this is the kind of work he does best. I look forward to this movie too because I heard good things about it.

Anyone watched this yet? How do u find it?

Have to wait till end Feb before it's released here >.<

"We set out to change the world... ended up just changing ourselves."
    "What's wrong with that?"
    "Nothing, if you don't look at the world."

I want to watch the movie... unfortunately, it has received a R21 rating here in Singapore. I still have 3 more months to go before I am 21, will probably have to get the pirated version of the movie.

I was wondering why no one open a topic for this movie for so long when it's so hot in the US. Finally someone did.

P-Chan, just read all the reviews about this movie, and u will know whether it's great or not. U can sign in to imdb.com as a member, then u can read all the interesting discussion about the movie.

I've watched the movie and read the short story. I've to say, this is the most faithful adaptation I've ever seen. Most of the extra scenes are build upon what Proulx has said in single sentences. Like the part where Ennis said near the end of the story how Jack came all the way from Texas to meet him (he misunderstood that Ennis divorce his wife to be with him) after Ennis told him about his divorce. In the movie, we can see Jack driving happily to meet Jack. Oher scenes added by the scriptwriters only enhance the movie more. It's a good movie. I was truly touched by the characters. But I think the movie is a bit overhype. It's good but not as great as the media in US made it out to be. But then, I've only watch it 1 time. Some people said u have to watch it a couple of times to see all the good things in the movie. So, I'll watch this movie again later. The imdb board has lots of indept opinion about the movie, and it helps u see things u missed.

I think Jake Gyllenhaal gave a great performance as Jack Twist. I hope he wins the Oscar for his role. He has been so overlooked.

From the first viewing, I don't think Heath Ledger did as well as Jake but since E. Annie Proulx said Ledger's potrayal of Ennis was spot on and he was even able to see something in Ennis that Proulx can't see, I take her word for it.

This movie I feel is a breakthrough not because it's the best gay movie ever made. But it's because of it's ability to reach out to the meanstream audience. Other gays movies are mostly indie films viewed by small group of people. I'm actually amazed at how all these meanstream viewers make it seems like BM is the first ever non-stereotyping gay movie made (the gay men in the movie don't act like flaming queens the meanstream media like to potray gays to be). Maybe it really is the first non-stereotype gay movie these mainstream viewers ever see.
    Last edited by kidd; 02-06-06 at 02:26 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I actually just went to see BBM. I have a headache now since my eyes are sore, not from crying but from wearing glasses. Last week I intended to go see on Sunday but when I got there (which was about 2 minutes late but I figure they had previews and stuff), the matinee show was sold out so I went home. I didn't want to pay 9 dollars some for the next show. Anyways, so this time around I was determined to see it. For one thing, I was in the mood of watching something sad, heartbreaking, a movie with angst that would leave me all choked up and I figure after hearing all the good reviews, this would be it. When I got into the theater, there were about 10 people, mostly older females. I was the youngest of the group.

Overall, it was an ok movie really. It wasn't sad or maybe I'm just numb since I've watched too many angst-y yaoi already. My eyes was a little teary at the end seeing Ennis cried but that was it. First problem I have with this is how their relationship all started. It was very abrupt. I see friendship but how did it all evolve so quickly overnight just like that. I would like to see it more transitional like they should throw in some subtle hints of attraction like glances or guestures of some sorts. I paid attention closely and didn't see any indication of their attraction building up slowly like that. All the sudden, they were in the tent having sex just because Jack accidentally pulled Ennis' arms over him. And I thought the love scene should start out soft and slow with more romantic physical contact then moving to the passionate raw stuff, not like bam suddenly all hell breaks loose. I had no idea how it all happened. Their urge must come from an attraction that was built over time, not out of no where. It was so awkward. Anyways, the rest was alright though kind of slow. The scene with Ennis holding Jack's shirt was sweet but I thought it was supposed to be longer with him weeping and stuff. It would have been more emotional.

Those who enjoyed 'Brokeback Mountain' might want to check this out as well, 'Brokeback.... to the future'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfODSPIYwpQ

Quote Originally Posted by Grifis
    I actually just went to see BBM. I have a headache now since my eyes are sore, not from crying but from wearing glasses. Last week I intended to go see on Sunday but when I got there (which was about 2 minutes late but I figure they had previews and stuff), the matinee show was sold out so I went home. I didn't want to pay 9 dollars some for the next show. Anyways, so this time around I was determined to see it. For one thing, I was in the mood of watching something sad, heartbreaking, a movie with angst that would leave me all choked up and I figure after hearing all the good reviews, this would be it. When I got into the theater, there were about 10 people, mostly older females. I was the youngest of the group.

Overall, it was an ok movie really. It wasn't sad or maybe I'm just numb since I've watched too many angst-y yaoi already. My eyes was a little teary at the end seeing Ennis cried but that was it. First problem I have with this is how their relationship all started. It was very abrupt. I see friendship but how did it all evolve so quickly overnight just like that. I would like to see it more transitional like they should throw in some subtle hints of attraction like glances or guestures of some sorts. I paid attention closely and didn't see any indication of their attraction building up slowly like that. All the sudden, they were in the tent having sex just because Jack accidentally pulled Ennis' arms over him. And I thought the love scene should start out soft and slow with more romantic physical contact then moving to the passionate raw stuff, not like bam suddenly all hell breaks loose. I had no idea how it all happened. Their urge must come from an attraction that was built over time, not out of no where. It was so awkward. Anyways, the rest was alright though kind of slow. The scene with Ennis holding Jack's shirt was sweet but I thought it was supposed to be longer with him weeping and stuff. It would have been more emotional.
    Didn't u see the subtle glances before they went up the mountain? Jack was already stealing glances at Ennis before they went up the mountain. There are other hints, like Ennis asking for soup from the supplier just because Jack b!tch about getting tired of eating beans all the time. I dunno. Eventhough there is no obvious glancing on the Mountain, I did feel their attraction.

U really must have seen too many yaoi to expect Ennis and Jack to act as emotional and inhibited like those Japanese manga guys. Ennis and Jack problem is not only society pressure. Ennis himself is homophobic. Both guys were brought up to act like men, be all rough and drink beers from bottle etc. This is especially true to Ennis whose father specifically brought him to see what would happen to guys who live together. Ennis was constantly fighting his attraction to Jack. The first tent scene was started because their emotion overcame them, it's all the pent up emotion. So, it's illogical that they will be slow and sweet and romantic at the first night. Ennis is still in denial. Heath Ledger said he purposely make it look like a fight. Notice how he immediately move away when Jack want to wipe his blood (get from running away from the bear)? If he didn't feel something for Jack, why did he move away so quickly like getting electric shock?

As for Ennis not weeping longer, I feel it's alright and in character. Ennis is very good at repressing and controling his emotions. I don't see many male characters in movies weeping their eyes out when they get all sad and heartbroken. So, why must Ennis act all weepy just because he is gay?
    Last edited by kidd; 02-06-06 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Didn't u see the subtle glances before they went up the mountain? Jack was already stealing glances at Ennis before they went up the mountain. There are other hints, like Ennis asking for soup from the supplier just because Jack b!tch about getting tired of eating beans all the time. I dunno. Eventhough there is no obvious glancing on the Mountain, I did feel their attraction.

U really must have seen too many yaoi to expect Ennis and Jack to act as emotional and inhibited like those Japanese manga guys. Ennis and Jack problem is not only society pressure. Ennis himself is homophobic. Both guys were brought up to act like men, be all rough and drink beers from bottle etc. This is especially true to Ennis whose father specifically brought him to see what would happen to guys who live together. Ennis was constantly fighting his attraction to Jack. The first tent scene was started because their emotion overcame them, it's all the pent up emotion. So, it's illogical that they will be slow and sweet and romantic at the first night. Ennis is still in denial. Heath Ledger said he purposely make it look like a fight. Notice how he immediately move away when Jack want to wipe his blood (get from running away from the bear)? If he didn't feel something for Jack, why did he move away so quickly like getting electric shock?

As for Ennis not weeping longer, I feel it's alright and in character. Ennis is very good at repressing and controling his emotions. I don't see many male characters in movies weeping their eyes out when they get all sad and heartbroken. So, why must Ennis act all weepy just because he is gay?
    First of all, I watched this movie knowing already that they'll be a couple so yes I'm inclined in seeing that they'll be some kind of subtle hints of attraction hence I looked real close to see eye contacts and subtle gestures but I didn't see anything that I can call attractions. There were two little things I saw: one was when Jack glanced at Ennis when he first met but really it's not unusual for someone to glance at another person when they first met so no big discovery there. The other one is like you said he moved away from Jack. He's homophobic and rough of course he wouldn't let no guy wiping blood from his face. Is that really count as a hint? No matter how I tried to convinced myself, I just couldn't see them as no more than just friends before the 'incident'. If there was attraction then I can fully understand the tent scene which was done kind of too abrupt. About the tent scene, sure Ennis was trying to fight for 5 seconds and all of the sudden Ennis wasn't really fighting but taking the initiative. So he was in denial for about 5 seconds after an attraction that I couldn't really see to begin with.

After that it was apparent. The reason why I thought Ennis should have wept longer when he held the shirt was because he bottled up his emotions for so long and that moment should be one when he broke down (because Jack died and he missed Jack badly) not because he's gay or whatever. The longer he bottled it up the more he expressed it emotionally when grief came (and no one was around in the room for him to keep his straight face). That's my take on it.

But the thing is, it's really hard for heterosexual actors to exactly act the attraction of homosexual men. I don't really blame them...

Still, good movie! I'm hoping it wins a lot of Oscars...
    History repeats itself. Historians simply repeat each other.

A very good insightful review on Brokeback Mountain.

The New York Review of Books: An Affair to Remember

Apparently, Brad Pitt is now "desperately seeking a gay role" because of the huge success of Brokeback Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight-sonata
    Apparently, Brad Pitt is now "desperately seeking a gay role" because of the huge success of Brokeback Mountain.
    I hope there won't be surge of gay movie coming out from Hollywood due to Brokeback success. Making gay films just for the sake of cashing in on something popular won't work. BBM is such a huge success because it's actually a well-made movie with heart.

The people involved really put their heart into the movie. Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry spent 8 years trying to get this movie made just because they were touched by the short story. They approuched and went through many actors and directors and although some showed interest, no one wanted to fully commit to the project. James Schamus tried repeated to get a studio give the script (written by Ossana and McMurtry) the green light but none would. But they never gave up, simply because they were touched by the short story. Ang Lee also jumped at the chance to make the movie (after James finally get the green light from a studio) because he has read the short story and script 2 years ago and was also touched by it. Most of the people who are involved did not make the movie for the sake of making a gay movie.

The involvement of Ang Lee helped. Heath Ledger sign-on without reading the script of the chance to work with Ang Lee. Jake was initially not interested, but after knowing Ang Lee is the director, and knowing Ang's previous works (he was confident Ang will make the film look good), he gave the script a chance and after reading it, truely liked the story.

Does anyone know where you can download Brokeback Mountain (the short story) on the Internet?

I really think this would be a good movie, better than memoirs of the geisha which is another one of those movies with all the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Chan
    I read the book today and I was left in tears. Now just watching the trailer I can imagine how affecting and heart-wrenching Lee Ang made it.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.altfg.com/Stars/brokeback_mountain_poster.jpg')

IMDB info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/

Official website: http://www.brokebackmountain.com/

I'm definitely looking forward to this one! Thank goodness Lee Ang has decided to return to the kind of movies he does best (I still shudder when I think of The Hulk).

Winner of Best Picture in the Venice International Film Fest (2005).
    My goodness, you cried just reading the book? I think I should try and get hold of a copy and read it myself too.

Banned

i didn't laugh in a long time. that movie was so funny. Esp that scene when jake touched him, then Heath pushed him away, touched him again, then Heath just gets up and takes off his pants to f*ck him in the a$$. You see Jake taking it...I couldn't stop laughing at how funny that part was.

That movie was funny in general.

For pictures, clips, info, etc. try this site (if you haven't already), it's pretty good.

www.davecullen.com/brokebackmountain

To moonlight-sonata,

Have u recieved my PM regarding the link to the BBM short story? It will be nice if I can receive some reply or acknowledgement to let me know that u at least see my PM message.

P.S. I post this message here this time instead of PM u because I'm not sure whether my PM can reach u or not since I receive no reply from u for the first one.

Kidd

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    To moonlight-sonata,

Have u recieved my PM regarding the link to the BBM short story? It will be nice if I can receive some reply or acknowledgement to let me know that u at least see my PM message.

P.S. I post this message here this time instead of PM u because I'm not sure whether my PM can reach u or not since I receive no reply from u for the first one.

Kidd
    Oh, I'm really really sorry! I only just saw it there. Thanks a lot, it's a great help... Please don't be angry lol!