View Poll Results: Are you a fan of Guo Jing or Yeung Gor?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like Yeung Gor, I dislike Guo Jing - YG is so romantic

14 15.22%
  • I like Guo Jing, I dislike Yeung Gor - GJ is so patriotic

31 33.70%
  • I actually like both Yeung Gor and Guo Jing - two heroes

40 43.48%
  • I actually dislike both Yeung Gor and Guo Jing - two losers

7 7.61%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you a fan of Guo Jing or Yeung Gor?

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    Haven't had the chance to accidentally bump into a concubine of an emperor either huh?
    Not much of a concubine fan. I like independent women more.

I like GJ better of course......but I'm not a fan (I AM NOT A FAN OF ANY OTHER HUMAN BEING) and its not just because he's patriotic. GJ is just a really great guy, really devoted to his country and of course to his Rong'er. And his naiiveness in LOCH is just hilarious sometimes.
    ~red
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Neither of those were quite as quick, clean, and decisive as that one shot by Yeung Gor, though. It was a single gesture that literally changed everything.

It was also the most clear and blatant rewrite of history Jin Yong as ever done. We *might* just fudge a Siu Fung-like figure in Yeh Lut Hung Gei's life (maybe), or someone like Wai Siu Bo in K'ang Hsi's, but the real Mongke Khan was certainly NOT killed by some martial arts expert named Yeung Gor.

Apparently, dysentry got the fourth Khan of the Mongol Empire.
    I vote for "I like both".
    I actually like both of them but I like Guo Jing a lot more.
    Yeah, Mongke Khan wasn't killed by Yeung Gor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongke_Khan
    http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg
    The Golden Five Tigers of the 80s are the best wuxia artists ever!

YG>GJ

he's just.... smarter -_-

Quote Originally Posted by shenlong View Post
    YG>GJ

he's just.... smarter -_-
    I have more esteem for a man I can respect than a man who's merely more clever.

I have more esteem for a man I can respect than a man who's merely more clever.
    and u cant respect YG? (especially when he was waiting those 16 yrs)

Quote Originally Posted by shenlong View Post
    and u cant respect YG? (especially when he was waiting those 16 yrs)
    No. I think he had his priorities all wrong for a guy who was supposed to be a wulin hero.

No. I think he had his priorities all wrong for a guy who was supposed to be a wulin hero.
    If he did have it all wrong he wouldn't even go back to help GJ during that last battle in ROCH and GJ and his family would of had died at that battle.

YG retired after his long life of parting with his GuGu, the guy deserved a peaceful life after so much drama.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    If he did have it all wrong he wouldn't even go back to help GJ during that last battle in ROCH and GJ and his family would of had died at that battle.

YG retired after his long life of parting with his GuGu, the guy deserved a peaceful life after so much drama.
    So does everyone else who fought long and hard defending Seung Yeung, but there was one problem: as of the end of ROCH, the threat wasn't gone. It had receded for the moment, but hadn't disappeared.

"With great power comes great responsibility," Uncle Ben Parker once said. A hero doesn't walk away before the job is done.

So does everyone else who fought long and hard defending Seung Yeung, but there was one problem: as of the end of ROCH, the threat wasn't gone. It had receded for the moment, but hadn't disappeared.

"With great power comes great responsibility," Uncle Ben Parker once said. A hero doesn't walk away before the job is done.
    It was done for him. The invaders were either killed or fleed. Then YG and his wife went into seclusion, never heard of again. Who knows what happened to them. Maybe they met some sort of tragedy a few years after, that was why he was absent when your hero GJ died with his whole family except GX who was safe because of her quest in finding YG and XLN. NO ONE KNOWS!!! But he left knowing that SY was safe.
    Last edited by GuGu; 05-29-07 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    It was done for him. The invaders were either killed or fleed. Then YG and his wife went into seclusion, never heard of again. Who knows what happened to them. Maybe they met some sort of tragedy a few years after that was why he was absent when your hero GJ died with his whole family except GX who was safe because of her quest in finding YG and XLN. NO ONE KNOWS!!! But he left knowing that SY was safe.
    That Yeung Gor was dead/disabled at the time is about the only excuse that I'm willing to accept.

But considering developments with Lady Yeung in HSDS, that doesn't seem likely.

That Yeung Gor was dead/disabled at the time is about the only excuse that I'm willing to accept.

But considering developments with Lady Yeung in HSDS, that doesn't seem likely.
    She was a mysterious character. For all we know YG and XLN might of had gotten themself a student before they died, who was lucky enough to learn all of their martial arts. Then either had a baby or found another student who could of had been 'Lady Yeung'.

GuGu who is that in your avatar?

I picked both Guo Jing and Yang Guo. Personality-wise, I'd probably fall for Yang Guo (sorry Gu), but Guo Jing is more...patriotic, I guess. While Yang Guo isn't my favourite person in the world, I would defend his actions. I don't see why Yang Guo had an obligation to keep giving to society until he had nothing to give, in order to achieve the respect of some. Not everyone's life has to be about that. Not all of us in our world will become Nelson Mandelas and turn countries upside-down...

Love isn't necessarily easier than war. Maybe for him Xiao Long Nu was his priority. Why does that automatically cause someone to lose respect for him? I admire the tribulations he went through during his love affair! Frankly, I think Yang Guo's a pretty decent man compared to certain men out there who would beat their lovers and still put romance above societal goals.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    GuGu who is that in your avatar?
    That would be LYF and HXM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Frankly, I think Yang Guo's a pretty decent man compared to certain men out there who would beat their lovers and still put romance above societal goals.
    Somehow I sense you are mad at CMK for slapping ZM still?

And as for respect, I think at least most agree Yang Guo has more heroism than oh say Wei Xiao Bao.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    And as for respect, I think at least most agree Yang Guo has more heroism than oh say Wei Xiao Bao.
    How so?

Wei Xiaobao's encapsulation of chivalry is great. His loyalty to friends is almost second to none.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    How so?

Wei Xiaobao's encapsulation of chivalry is great. His loyalty to friends is almost second to none.
    Wei Xiaobao is a rapist. He rapes multiple women at the same time. How can he be considered a hero???
    http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg
    The Golden Five Tigers of the 80s are the best wuxia artists ever!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBanh View Post
    Wei Xiaobao is a rapist. He rapes multiple women at the same time. How can he be considered a hero???
    Yeah, he did rape women. Now look at traditional heroes like Guo Jing, Qiao Feng ... [insert name of hero] ... did they not slaughter hundreds of lives in the name of war, revenge, self gratification, etc?

The difference is that Guo Jing and pre-DGSD Qiao Feng are one dimensional characters, while Wei Xiaobao is a complex character with several layers of abstraction. It's yet another testament to Jin Yong's progression as a writer.

I'm not saying it's okay to rape women in wuxia, but I don't think it's worse than Guo Jing promoting the killing of innocent Mongolian soldiers and Pre-DGSD Qiao Feng slaughtering the Khitan race without blinking. Wei Xiaobao is indeed not a traditional hero but an anti-hero. He is an oddball in Jin Yong canon which invites you to ponder what constitutes a hero.
    Last edited by PJ; 05-30-07 at 12:34 AM.

Um, killing soldiers in a war is a bad act? Innocent soldiers?

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    Um, killing soldiers in a war is a bad act? Innocent soldiers?
    Sorry if this is a foreign concept to you, but soldiers are indeed a form of human... you know, the creature with life, just like you and me (well, I can only speak for myself, but I assume that you too are a form of human with a precious life, and that if one day you were needed to fight a war, you could possibly be considered an innocent soldier rather than a death-deserving savage).
    Last edited by PJ; 05-30-07 at 01:12 AM.