Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

i'm at sulawesi so traffic not so bad.

and having internet no use, my file is in the PC back home.

Oh, I thought you went to Jakarta.
    Hmm.. Menado? UjungPandang? they have good tradisional foods, over there. You have to try them, Jean. Fish, meat, they have it all.

So, if you don't mind, what is your line of work? you seem to travel overseas a lot. You're not secret agent, are you??
    or a diplomat, like RWX??

I'm now at makassar. I'm in healthcare admin, so we do visits to overseas hospital.

Jean, you`re in makassar, now? What r u doing here? . Which hotel do you stay in? I live at makassar.
    "Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is Mystery.
    Today is a gift... That`s why we called it Present."

deebleu: wow! there's someone from makassar in here too? I'm staying at aryuduta hotel, but we'll be leaving early tomorrow morning. Checking out at 6:30am.

aww, too bad. I was just thinking about treating you some makassar`s traditional cuisine . Well, maybe next time
    "Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is Mystery.
    Today is a gift... That`s why we called it Present."

sure, hopefully next time we'll visit makassar again next year if we can get collaborations ongoing.

PS: I love the seafood here! Just ate crabs at surya, they say very popular here. Yummy!

to continue.... just a short one to the end of the chapter.

Whereas Lao Ai had a promotion from his position as Interior Minister to the Minister of Ceremony, responsible for state protocols and rituals and the head of the Nine Ministers. Under him were the six assistants: Grand Musician, Leader of Prayers, Judge of Policies, Grand Astrologer, Overseer of Temple and Leader of Rites.

This is a highly ranked position but with no real power, most suitable for someone with Lao Ai’s identity as a ‘fake eunuch’ and this offer gives Zhu Ji due respect so that she will not be offended.

Lao Ai’s original position as Interior Minister will be given to his brother Lao Ji.

From Xiang Shaolong, Xiao Pan understands that this person is a good for nothing, a lecherous bummer so he’s not worried about him at all.

Besides, the Interior Minister is all along only in charge of the documents and correspondences between the three major armies in the capital and the Palace. Even if he wants to plan some dirty tricks there is nothing he can base it on.

Lord Changwen became the second in command among the Nine Ministers, the Minister of Household, to be in charge of the defense of the whole city. In other words, the Imperial Guards, City Guards and Cavalry are all now under him.

Among the other 7 ministers: Minister of Guards, Minister of Coachman, Minister of Justice, Minister of Guests, Minister of Imperial Clan, Minister of Finance, Minister Steward, the three most important positions are those of the Minister of Justice, Minister of Finance and Minister Steward. They are taken up by Li Si, Wang Wan and Cai Ze respectively.

Li Si and his men gained a promotion of several ranks, in charge of the whole country’s judicial punishment, becoming the country’s highest ranked judge. Under him were the Main, Left and Right Supervisors. Lao Ai’s keqing* Ling Qi and Mao Jiao became the Left and Right Supervisor respectively.

* keqing - a person from one feudal state serving in the court of another

Minister of Finance is in charge of the whole country’s taxes and expenditure.

The Minster Steward takes care of the businesses and economy of the country and is another important post and an important official like Cai Ze is someone that Xiao Pan will have to appease.

As for the wars against others, Wang Chi, Meng Ao, Wang Ling and Wang Jian were appointed as the Four Great Supreme General whereas Xiang Shaolong, An Guxi and Du Bi were appointed as Great Generals and only the seven of them have the authority to lead the army into battles.

This can be considered a conciliated political reform with Xiao Pan gaining the most advantage, followed by Lao Ai. As for Lu Buwei, he can only wallow in self pity.

But because Zhu Ji, Wang Guan and most of the senior officials are now supporting Xiao Pan, Lu Buwei have no choice but to accept it quietly.

The mystical help of Black Dragon which came at an opportune time, together with the act of ‘blocking the path to offer a book’, has at least knocked Lu Buwei off a few rungs from the extreme power he held. No longer will he be able to do whatever pleases him like in the past.

After Xiao Pan announced the end of the court session, the officials all chorused, ‘Long live your Majesty’ and then hurriedly rush home so that they can shower and change in time to take part in tonight’s feast that will be held in the Palace. And the Winter Commencement day is now considered the New Year for Qin.

************************************************** **************************

Banned
    where dews kiss the first blush of the morning rose

Default Welcome back Jean

Thanks Jean and Welcome back. Hi everyone, do not mean to vie for no. 1. hahahah

Quote Originally Posted by JAJA9 View Post
    Hi everyone, do not mean to vie for no. 1. hahahah
    Hey no need to rub it in our faces

We miss you, Jean! Thank you for all your hard work.

Thanks, Jean!

It sounds like Ji Yanran's "blocking the path to offer a book" seems to be a huge deal. I must be missing a detail, why is it so significant? I know it's offering the book of the Five Elements. Or is it considered a big deal for a messenger to block the king's path? Was Ji Yanran supposed to be a messenger from her godfather, the author of the Five Elements book, or a mystical messenger from the Black Dragon??

This is getting ridiculous!!
    Jean, please text me before posting new one

Anyway, thanks for this chapter, Jean. It's truely fascinating.

So you are back home safely, then. I love going back home after a long trip. There is nothing like sleeping on my old spongy bed.

errrr....5th!

thanks Jean!

new chapter.....

Book 19 Chap 11 – Returning Good for Evil

Xiang Shaolong had wanted to slip away but he was dragged by the recently promoted and over enthusiastic Li Si to see Xiao Pan. Ji Yanran was not as happy as them and went home on her own.

Although this time it cannot be considered a complete victory, but it’s a huge change for the better. Want Chi, Wang Ling, Lords Changping and Changwen were all in high spirits as they surrounded Xiang Shaolong, this great mastermind into the inner court to see Xiao Pan.

On seeing everyone arriving, Xiao Pan walked down from his dragon throne, so touched that his eyes turned red from the emotions.

Xiang Shaolong was a bit confounded as he looked at Xiao Pan striding towards him in an imposing manner.

Suddenly he felt as if Xiao Pan is a total stranger, yet at the same time so close that he’s like his own son.

The kind of two extreme reactions clashing together gave him an exceptionally strange feeling.

In another few years, Xiao Pan will be crowned as Emperor.

And his relationship with this future Emperor Qin, will have to come to an end.

He has to leave.

Because he does not wish to be drenched in the blood of the soldiers and civilians of the Six States. He is totally weary towards wars.

Xiao Pan’s actual age is 19 years old, and he absolutely has the air and commanding presence of a ruler of the times who feels that he is way above all other living things.

He may be half a head shorter than Xiang Shaolong but his shoulders are broad and his limbs muscular with a squarish face and big ears. The most striking is his eyes, when he glanced over at Xiang Shaolong, even he felt a chill in his heart.

In the past, when Xu Xian and Lord Lu found out that he is not Lu Buwei’s illegitimate son, they immediately pledged loyalty to him. And now Wang Ling and Wang Chi are devoted to him without any reason at all. Xiao Pan is just that kind of natural born political leader who has the charisma to make others submit to him.

One can imagine that when the time comes for him to be officially crowned as Emperor, he will become even more remarkable.

Xiao Pan came to Xiang Shaolong and grabbed his hands tightly as he exclaimed with joy, “Grand Tutor, we’ve succeeded.”

Li Si and the rest surrounded the two of them and shouted out their congratulations. All of them were beginning to sound a little nonsensical.

All along, in the power struggle between a ruler and his power-holding official, the fight is never completed without some form of bloodshed.

But with this Black Dragon, a stroke of genius, they immediately sliced off more than half of Lu Buwei’s power which he had painstakingly built up over many years and at the same time, possibly crushed the plans that he had been secretly making. To be able to achieve such an outcome without a single soldier or bloodshed, how can one not feel strangely touching.

With the current situation, it is absolutely impossible for anyone to raise a coup. Even the civilians of Xianyang will rise up to support Xiao Pan, not to mention the military which has always been loyal to the royal family.

Xiang Shaolong replied with a smile, “I should take a rest too, will your Majesty please grant me the permission.”

Xiao Pan sighed, “Much as I am extremely unwilling to do so, I can only accede to your request. But once anything happens, Grand Tutor must come back to help me.”

Xiang Shaolong felt as if a weight has been lifted off him as he said, “In politics there’s Lord Changping and Li Tingwei and in military there’s the two Supreme Generals. Your Majesty, just do as you deem fit!”

Everyone roared with laughter.

Because Xiang Shaolong is as good as saying, don’t come disturbing me if there’s nothing wrong.

Li Si chided laughingly, “Lord Xiang please do not make fun of me. With Xiang Shaolong, I will always be the same Li Si you met outside the city initially when you came back from Zhao.”

Xiao Pan said, “When does Grand Tutor plan to return to the farm for your temporary leave?” On hearing his emphasis on the two words ‘temporary leave’, all of them revealed a knowing smile.

Instead Xiang Shaolong grabbed Xiao Pan’s hands tightly, so tight that he could feel their flesh and blood merged together as he answered, “After we eliminate Qiu Risheng’s Warrior School and after Xiao Jun’s wedding, I’ll return to the farm and take my temporary leave as you wish. I should still be in Xianyang for another ten odd days. Heh, I want to go home for a shower and change in order to get ready for the feast tonight.”

Xiao Pan let go of Xiang Shaolong’s hands unwillingly as he uttered emotionally, “That I, Ying Zheng, will have this day, is all thanks to Grand Tutor.”

That he, as a ruler of the country, is willing to say such a statement, us enough to move everyone.

Only Xiang Shaolong truly understands the hidden meaning he is conveying.

Who would have expected that the mischievous imp of the past who only knows how to harass palace maids will ultimately become the famous Emperor Qin who will unify the world?

FFFFFFFFIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks JEan.....

Thanks Jean!

2nd ???

??? now.... 3rd...lol
    thanks a lot jean....

Default whaaaaa

i dont get a medal ?

so sad
    Ali Derhamy

Great turn of events. Thanks Jean (for the translation, and for no cliffhanger this time).

I'm rather interested in why Ji Yanran isn't so enthusiastic.

thanks a lot Jean