Page 89 of 321 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 6420

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    What are the other books? I though Ode to Gallantry was boring, so I can't do that.

I do have some time for now, as I'm back in school rather than working. But my mind is pretty separated from the wuxia world these days. So I doubt I can rack my brains enough to actually translate serious texts(i.e. anything that JY writes). But if it's simple enough, and there really aren't any other translators, I can translate a few chapters from time to time.
    Can i take this opportunity to press for some other GL novels then?

The CLX series deserves some attention? ^^

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Well, is there anyone else helping you? I think a novel like this requires more of a "translation group" rather than a "translator".

For example, something like this.
    unfortunately, it's still a one-man-show. I've said that I welcome any help, some have expressed interest to help but they just disappeared after a while without any translations done.

The only thing more ridiculous than translating this would be to translate 大唐双龙传(I forgot the TVB English name for this).

Btw, IIRC this book is pretty lewd. Is it really okay for an all-ages board like this one?
    While looking into the Step into the Past comic I noticed that there's one for 大唐双龙传 as well. The art work like the former is quite flashy and is heavy with auras and animal aspects. While I don't mind manga influences, I find it jarring in that such comics remind me more of Bleach/Naruto/YuYuHakusho/DBZ than the wuxia it's base on. What worries me more is that some people are beginning to equate the two.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

i was redrawn to wuxia genre through these wuxia comics drawn along similiar lines as the above...until some 5 years ago onecomics published the condor hero series and the HSDS series in the US..i have some of them and they were pretty awesome....and i think they have diverted from the novel a bit here and there i think...but it still was great.....good work jean..

Quote Originally Posted by yongbifan View Post
    i was redrawn to wuxia genre through these wuxia comics drawn along similiar lines as the above...until some 5 years ago onecomics published the condor hero series and the HSDS series in the US..i have some of them and they were pretty awesome....and i think they have diverted from the novel a bit here and there i think...but it still was great.....good work jean..
    I have a number of the Legendary Couple (ShenDiaoXiaLui) Comics in English but I don't know if they ever finished translating it.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    unfortunately, it's still a one-man-show. I've said that I welcome any help, some have expressed interest to help but they just disappeared after a while without any translations done.

I loled... sounds like the sort of thing i do when my mom is doing the dishes :-)

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    I have a number of the Legendary Couple (ShenDiaoXiaLui) Comics in English but I don't know if they ever finished translating it.
    i think onecomics stopped publishing after they went out of business...somebody else picked it up but that was it...wow yeah my fav was legendary couple and they were harder to get......those were the gud all days

I sure hope the is a dedicated translator to help you achieve your goal.

I appreciate all the hard work you have done translating this novel. Thank you Jean. May god sent you some helping hand to help out on the translation.

heh, I'm still enjoying translating it so far, but who knows what the future will be like? I may get too busy to continue, esp since this looks like it's gonna take years. :P

Anyway, to continue....

Ji Yanran was immediately energized as her pretty eyes stared at him unwaveringly as she said, “If Mister is free, why don’t you come over to my place tomorrow morning and I can learn from your expertise.”

Everyone around them threw looks of envy at Xiang Shaolong. They did not expect that this person would be able to have the chance to interact with this rare beauty in close proximity because of his skills in rearing horses.

Lord Longyang’s dainty voice interrupted, “A few of my horses seemed to have fallen ill, can Mister Dong come and take a look as well.”

This sentence caused him to receive another kind of envious looks.

Xiang Shaolong was thinking this is a headache and secretly lamenting but he replied with perfunctory, “Your highness have traveled a long way here, the horses are just tired! They’ll be fine after resting for a while.”

Once he said that, every is clear that Xiang Shaolong has no interest in men at all.

Lord Longyang whined, “My horses and I have rested for more than a month, besides they only fell ill recently. Aren’t you a horse lover? How can you just watch them die?”

Zhao Mu was afraid that he’ll offend Lord Longyang so he moved the conversation along by saying, “Mister Dong is not like that at all. I’ll find some time tomorrow to accompany Mister Dong to pay a visit to Lord Longyang.”

He then said to Ji Yanran, “I would like to see this marvelous steed that can make Mister Dong pine over it as well.”

Xiang Shaolong and Ji Yanran secretly cursed but there’s nothing they can do to him.

The latter said with resign, “Yanran will of course welcome you, your Highness. Please come with Mister Dong!”

Zhao Ya’s feelings are entirely different.

Never in her dreams would she expect Ji Yanran to proactively invite this nonsensical weirdo. Could it be that he really has the natural attraction towards women? Indeed she herself has been caught in a flutter, not knowing whether she should like him or hate him.

Zhao Mu said, “The feast should begin, Miss Ji please be seated.”

Ji Yanran can’t help but cast a meaningful look towards Zou Yan.

How can that wily old fox Zou Yan not understand so he said with a smile, “Since Yanran and Mister Dong are both horse lovers and this is such a rare chance today, why don’t I exchange seats with Mister Dong.”

This time even Zhao Mu’s jealousy was aroused but everyone knows that Ji Yanran have always taken interest in weird and rare people which has nothing to do with romantic feelings at all so no one would think that these 2 would have any secret relationship at all.

Xiang Shaolong suppressed the excitement he felt and replied happily, “This is more than what I can ask for. I’m just afraid that I am too ill-learned and Miss Ji would be offended.”

Ji Yanran gave a sweet smile which stunned everyone before saying gently, “It is I who should feel favored.” She dare not look at Xiang Shaolong any longer and turned to follow Zhao Mu’s attendant towards a table on the left. The aqua and white colored gown together with the jet black and shiny hairstyle attracted the gaze of everyone.

Zhao Ya wished that she could give Xiang Shaolong a few stabs. He just said that he will not go near Ji Yanran and yet now he’s showing off that he could be next to her. Suddenly, she was startled to realize that she has successfully forgotten about Xiang Shaolong. In her heart now there is only this hateful, yet lovable, unfathomable wild man.

After Xiang Shaolong was seated, he realized that it’s still difficult to talk. Firstly the 2 of them were about 5 feet apart but also because pretty maids were behind both of them trying to serve them so no matter how much they have to say to each other, there is no chance to.

Sitting opposite them were Zhao Mu and Zhao Ya, the latter deliberately trying not to look at Xiang Shaolong and the atmosphere was embarrassing.

Zhao Mu thought that Zhao Ya was unhappy that he forced her to be close to Xiang Shaolong, that’s why she was furious and did not think much of it.

The few hundred tables were fully seated and the atmosphere was lively.

Thumbs up

I can't help but smiling all the way to the end, when reading this part. Especially when that super-gay Lord wanted a piece of XSL also. . Can't wait to see what happened next.

Hi, Jean. Thank you so far, for this "one woman show". This can become (one of) your lifetime achievement.

hahahahaha

love it.

Thanks Jean : )

Quote Originally Posted by balikpapan View Post

Hi, Jean. Thank you so far, for this "one woman show". This can become (one of) your lifetime achievement.
    Ya, maybe after all is done, I can make them into books and sell them and become filthy rich.... muahahAHAHAHA

ok... back to reality.... to continue...

Zou Yan was seated together with Guo Kai and they were laughing and talking.

After Ji Yanran was seated, she felt that she has no opportunity to speak with Xiang Shaolong at all because she is the star of the feast and everyone is trying to show themselves off in front of her and she had to entertain all of them.

2 pairs of eyes constantly flitted to where Xiang Shaolong was. One pair belonged to Lord Longyang who was seated on the table next to the main table, and the other belonged to Zhao Zhi, who was seated together with Zhao Ba at the table 5 tables down, opposite from Zhao Mu.

The Marquis of Pingshan, Han Chuang, who held no regard for Xiang Shaolong initially, was now staring at him with hatred when he saw that he actually had the honor of sitting together with Ji Yanran.

At this time someone asked Ji Yanran, “I wonder what is the thing that can move Miss Ji’s heart in this world?”

Everyone felt this to be very interesting so they all looked steadily at Ji Yanran, waiting to see how she’ll respond.

Ji Yanran’s pretty eyes turned around as she replied with a smile, “This is a very difficult question to answer! There will be different answers at the different stages of life. Maybe when Yanran’s beauty is gone, the thing that I would want most is my youth, which will never come back!”

Everyone knows she’s deliberately avoiding the question and they all expressed their displeasure, forcing her to give an answer.

How can Xiang Shaolong bear to let his love be bullied so he chortled and said, “Miss Ji has already answered this question. Something that is unobtainable will always be pined for.”

Everyone became quiet and as they mulled over it, felt that the reply was reasonable.

For example, everyone would like to become the ruler of a country, and precisely because they know that there’s no way they can get it, it becomes more of a lure for them.

Guo Zhong said with admiration, “I did not expect that Mister Dong would have other skills besides the art of rearing horses.” Everyone laughed.

Lord Longyang said coquettishly, “I wonder what thing will attract Mister Dong?” The Marquis of Pingshan interrupted, “Of course it’s that treasured horse which he’ll never get that can travel a thousand miles in a day!”

Immediately laughter roared in the hall and the atmosphere was lively.

Xiang Shaolong knows that now is a good opportunity for him to portray himself in an unrefined yet open image in front of these administrators of Zhao so he said loudly, “Not at all! Not at all! Just having one or two rare horses is of no help at all to the overall situation, what I want is 10,000 warhorses that can give my King victory.”

All the Zhaos seated nodded their head in agreement.

Zhao Ya can’t help but ask, “But what is the impossible thing that can make Mister Dong pine for it?”

Xiang Shaolong laughed roughly and continued talking in his trademark hoarse voice, staring at Zhao Ya as he replied, “I’ve always lacked imagination, and I will never waste my effort thinking about things that I know for sure that I cannot get. But! Hei! Some things that can be obtained and yet still out of reach can make my heart itch so much that I have sleepless nights.”

All the men there understood the underlying meaning and smiled.

Zhao Ya saw that he was staring at her as he spoke and felt both anger and joy. She lowered her head and avoided his gaze.

Ji Yanran who was next to him thought about the thing that she could almost have as well and her pretty face blushed unconsciously. She secretly took a look at him, wishing that she can throw herself immediately into his arms.

At this time an attendant suddenly walked in towards Zhao Mu and quietly reported something to him. Zhao Mu revealed a look of surprise and looked at Xiang Shaolong.

Xiang Shaolong was just feeling puzzled when Zhao Mu stood up and announced, “Tonight we have another esteemed just who has just arrived and he is the most popular guest of Chu’s Lord Chunshen, Mister Li Yuan.”

Once Xiang Shaolong heard that, he was startled and cold sweat broke out.

Oops! SOmeone from Chu appeared... will XSL's disguise be found out?

Go Jean! Thanks for another lovely segment =)

I've actually peeked ahead in the comic, so what happens next will be of no surprise to me.... to my great regret . I don't think I'll go to the comic again for a good while more...
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

Default Future

heh, I'm still enjoying translating it so far, but who knows what the future will be like? I may get too busy to continue, esp since this looks like it's gonna take years. :P
    Future is future Jean,
    No suffer from a loss of anything we never have before
    enjoy your work and make happy time for all of us

Que Sera, Sera . . .

Wow!! This is great.

Heard ur open to help for translation. I have some free time now and I can help u with translating Step into the Past. Though my chinese probably not up to par as yours.

slyphiad, you are most welcome to! Just let me know which chapter you want to start with. I'm just starting Book 7, Chap 2 now, but I'd suggest you start with Chap 5 or beyond if you're really keen so that you can have a headstart.

Book 7 Chap 2 – Guest from afar

Under everyone’s gaze, Li Yuan, who was dressed in grand robes and looks about 25 or 26 years old, stepped into the hall suavely under the accompaniment of Zhao Mu’s attendant.

Undeniably he is a very good looking man, fresh but with character. He has broad shoulders, slender waist, long legs, standing straight and tall with a long sword hanging from his waist, giving one the impression that he’s well versed in both scholarly pursuits and martial arts.

His eyes were alert and lively; obviously this is an intelligent person and not someone to be belittled.

Xiang Shaolong’s heart started pounding.

He has so many things to worry about that he’s not even sure himself.

The worst thing is that he may be able to tell from just one look that he is not the horse fanatic Dong Kuang, by then he can forget about leaving the Marquis residence alive.

Secondly is his relationship with Zhao Mu. If Li Yuan is the person sent by Chu’s Lord Chunshen to secretly liaise with Zhao Mu, then Zhao Mu will immediately realize the trap that Xiang Shaolong has set for him.

Besides, if Li Yuan knows that the Chu envoy still has not reached Handan, he’ll definitely guess that something happened along the way and this will arouse his and Zhao Mu’s suspicion.

Any one of these problems is enough to make their whole group perish.

Hai! How did someone like this end up appearing out of nowhere?

Li Yuan stepped into the hall, listening as Zhao Mu spoke to him and at the same time suavely acknowledging the guests seated on both sides with a slight smile.

Xiang Shaolong wished that Li Yuan would never finish his walk.

Ji Yanran is was alert and had long noticed that his expression seemed strange so she said with a smile, “Mister Dong! The State of Chu is really filled with talents. Not only has it produced a horse expert like you, there’s also the extraordinary Mister Li Yuan who is famed for his intellect and swordsmanship. His younger sister Li Yanyan is the latest beloved concubine of the King of Chu and I heard that she’s now pregnant. If she can bear a son, he will become the Crown Prince of Chu, so now everyone thinks that his future is limitless.”

Xiang Shaolong understood that it’s because of the maids behind hindering them, she deliberately used such a method to drop hints on Li Yuan’s background. She went to Chu before arriving in Handan, so naturally she knows about the latest news from Chu.

But he felt that when she mentioned Li Yuan’s name, her expression looked a little unnatural.

When Li Yuan saw Ji Yanran, his eyes immediately brightened and he came to their table and politely greeting Xiang Shaolong, “How do you do, Mister Dong! We may both be from Chu, but I did not expect that we only have the chance to meet here in Handan, which is a thousand miles away.”

Xiang Shaolong was slightly relieved that the most urgent problem is solved so he rose and returned the greeting.

Zhao Mu suddenly made a strange look at him, then looked at Li Yuan with a flash of murderous intent in his eyes.

Li Yuan was not too concerned about Xiang Shaolong as his gaze turned towards Ji Yanran, immediately filled with a captivating light as he said, “Miss Ji left without a word, giving me much grief.”

He lowered his voice so that other than Zhao Mu and Xiang Shaolong, other guests still thought that he was making polite talk.

Another load was off Xiang Shaolong’s mind as he realized that this Li Yuan is actually harassing Ji Yanran and it seems that they were once together in Chu, otherwise Li Yuan would not have spoken with such jealousy. It seems that this Li Yuan is a born romantic, otherwise why would be run after her through mountains and lakes all the way from Chu. Once he thought of this, he feels troubled again. Ever since Zhao Ya betrayed him, he no longer has the blind faith he used to have towards women. This Li Yuan is an outstanding person and so passionate about love, how would he know if he would be able to snatch Ji Yanran away from his hands. If this really turns out to be the case, the blow to him will be even harder than the one Zhao Ya gave him.

After Ji Yanran stole a peek at Xiang Shaolong, she replied with a smile, “Mister Li, you’re too harsh with your words, how can Yanran bear it.”

Zhao Mu said with a smile, “So you two are old acquaintances, now that everyone is in Handan, why worry that there’ll be no time to catch up. Why don’t Mister Li join my table and enjoy the performances by the song and dance courtesans.”

Li Yuan smiled suavely and after giving Ji Yanran a meaningful look, followed Zhao Mu and seated himself between Zhao Mu and Zhao Ya.

Ji Yanran seems to have been moved that Li Yuan ran after her all the way to Handan. She lowered her pretty face, her eyes looking lost.

Xiang Shaolong started feeling even more uncomfortable.

Jean - you are wonderful!!!

Default Book 8

Kewl. I was thinking of starting at Book 8. I'm sure that I'll progress much more slowly than you. So what do you after I complete it. Do I posted it here? Or send it to you?

This dinner sounds like a super love hexagon.

Lord Longyang -> XSL
    Zhao Zhi -> XSL
    Ji Yanran < -> XSL
    Zhao Ya ->XSL
    Li Yuan-> Ji Yanran
    Zhao Mu -> Ji Yanran
    Han Chuang -> Ji Yanran