Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: what is/was your major?

Sales might be good. Both Poli Sci and sales include a lot of lying and deceiving.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I'd recommend Marriage Therapy or Portuguese.
    may i ask why?

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Sales might be good. Both Poli Sci and sales include a lot of lying and deceiving.

Actually, I was just talking to someone who studied Public Policy. He pretty much underscored what you said.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    may i ask why?
    Because it's completely unexpected, and might give your resume more attention before it goes in the bin. Not to mention gives you an opportunity to have an interesting conversation during interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    I still don't know what career path I should be taking.. Hmm.. I'm interested in Psychology, but I don't think I want to be a counselor or such though. I'm thinking Business... If I know how people think, what makes them click and what motivates them, I can use marketing to target the right people so I can open a successful Business, or even a Hotel someday.

Then there's always Magazine illustration. I love photography and designing layouts and page lifts so that's definitely not out of the picture yet.

I feel like there's so few paths I can take. I've already talked to my Careers adviser and it hasn't helped my cause. While Business is something I'd consider, I still want to have my options open.. like, not CONFINED to one option.

And is it unusual for someone to have more than one job? Say you were a graphic artist, a business owner, and teacher. Would that work?

A BS/BA is essentially the same, unless you're doing some kind of engineer, other wise it's wide open, I walk around and everyone have a BS, to get into some sort of professional jobs you'll probably have to look at some sort of master or PHD, other wise it's gonna be some bottom of the barrel jobs/office job, it's rare to see someone with a BS managing or doing some important work.

graphic artist - low pay unless you're good, when it comes to art, the pay is not well distribute, it's bottom out or big dollars, you think you're good? in the profession world, it's easy to be good, but it's very hard to be great << and this is where the money is at.

Teaching - do you like to teach? this crap is almost like nursing, if you don't like it, it will kill you real fast. Actually liking it might not even work, you'll have to LOVE it haha.

Bussiness owner - again do you have any type of support (financially, people, ect...), there's alot of joes opening business just to see it crumble, it's not for everyone and it sure is hard once you get into it, most sucess bussiness are either finacially strong to fight off competition OR having a bunch of people who they can really trust (there are alot of people that looks like you can trust, but once money is dealt, shit happen).

Everything is hard, I really would just choose one and live with it, there's not enough time in the world to be working 24/7.

Because it's completely unexpected, and might give your resume more attention before it goes in the bin. Not to mention gives you an opportunity to have an interesting conversation during interviews.

most poli sci people work for the gov, so it's not THAT bad. besides engineering I don't see any other major in college that can actually be apply to work in a specific field, the stuff they teach is a whole lot of theory and nothing practical. Even applied math, who the *** with a BS is gonna launch a rocket into space and land 1/2 of the rocket's *** on a crater and the other 1/2 of the rocket's *** on some rock that's exactly at XX YY cordinate.
    Last edited by warlock110; 07-15-08 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    besides engineering I don't see any other major in college that can actually be apply to work in a specific field
    Music,
    Acting,
    Fine Arts,
    Culinary Art,
    Photography,
    Aviation Pilot.

Music,
    Acting,
    Fine Arts,
    Culinary Art,
    Photography,
    Aviation Pilot.
    those art major are very very hard to get a job, most likely you'll have to be interning or doing some sort of work prior to landing a job. Engineers pretty much have it set after they graduate.

I got a bachelor's in computer engineering and a master's in electrical engineering. i'm a database administrator now. sometimes i feel my master's was a waste because i'm in a totally different field now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    I got a bachelor's in computer engineering and a master's in electrical engineering. i'm a database administrator now. sometimes i feel my master's was a waste because i'm in a totally different field now.
    I sympathize. I have a bachelor's and a master's in Fine Arts. But I'm a Business System Analyst now. I don't think my master's was a waste, but I never thought I'd end up writing code for a living when I was in grad school.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Yeppers. So what kind of code are you writing? I'm doing database software right now which is a far cry from electronic circuits.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    Yeppers. So what kind of code are you writing? I'm doing database software right now which is a far cry from electronic circuits.
    My BSc is Chemistry and Education, supposed to be a chemistry teacher. But I end-up become a tutor at my Uni when I finish study my BSc when I'm 22. Then I convert and do Computer Science for my MSc and PhD both (combine program) for the last 7 seven years. PhD not done (only the MSc), should be submitting and do VIVA this year. So yeah virtually non-stop studying from primary school to PhD. So that is why I'm *extremely good* at social-skill LOL.

Now a full time lecturer and researcher in Bioinformatics which involve Biology LOL. I teach people how to be a good programmer. Teaching C++, Java etc. Also teach Web programming - PHP/MySQL or JSP/Servlet/MySQL. Sometimes I do consultancy means (moonlighting LOL) setting up company webservers/websites, coding web application, installing open source software such as this forum/phpBB/Joomla, mod programming for websites or just simply standalone application.

If anybody want to hire me, I ask for 150 perhour for my consultancy fees. For a small software project (I prefer doing web application now - my favorite) usually I ask from 10K to 20K which I can finish in 2-3 months, non-stop programming. If I'm not watching my anime/tv, I'm coding my heart out non-stop.

I'm married now to this woman, her name is EV. I prefer to hump her when she move around. Well I heard today someone said, most men hump everything that move, so this is an example of it :

click to show/hide spoilers

My current wife - Ms EV.....O
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/garrett850/my_wife-EVo.jpg')
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 02-07-09 at 01:43 PM.

^^ wow so you're going to complete your PHD soon?? Nice car, i think we should do a car picture posting thread.

I don't remember if I have answered his question yet or not?? Anyways if I haven't yet, my majors as an undergrad were Chinese and English. My master's major was TESOL(Teaching English to speakers of Other Languages). I am all language person...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    My BSc is Chemistry and Education, supposed to be a chemistry teacher. But I end-up become a tutor at my Uni when I finish study my BSc when I'm 22. Then I convert and do Computer Science for my MSc and PhD both (combine program) for the last 7 seven years. PhD not done (only the MSc), should be submitting and do VIVA this year. So yeah virtually non-stop studying from primary school to PhD. So that is why I'm *extremely good* at social-skill LOL.

Now a full time lecturer and researcher in Bioinformatics which involve Biology LOL. I teach people how to be a good programmer. Teaching C++, Java etc. Also teach Web programming - PHP/MySQL or JSP/Servlet/MySQL. Sometimes I do consultancy means (moonlighting LOL) setting up company webservers/websites, coding web application, installing open source software such as this forum/phpBB/Joomla, mod programming for websites or just simply standalone application.

If anybody want to hire me, I ask for 150 perhour for my consultancy fees. For a small software project (I prefer doing web application now - my favorite) usually I ask from 10K to 20K which I can finish in 2-3 months, non-stop programming. If I'm not watching my anime/tv, I'm coding my heart out non-stop.

I'm married now to this woman, her name is EV. I prefer to hump her when she move around. Well I heard today someone said, most men hump everything that move, so this is an example of it :

click to show/hide spoilers

My current wife - Ms EV.....O
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/garrett850/my_wife-EVo.jpg')

Nice car and it is great that you are going for your PhD. I was thinking of that but am SICK of school so maybe not... In the future, maybe if I feel that I need to get my PhD, I will.. But boy about 5-8 more years of school?? Hm... I honest wonder if it will be worth it??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Nice car and it is great that you are going for your PhD. I was thinking of that but am SICK of school so maybe not... In the future, maybe if I feel that I need to get my PhD, I will.. But boy about 5-8 more years of school?? Hm... I honest wonder if it will be worth it??
    I think If you just wanting a better job position and MS/MA is already enough, however if you're an academician/professor/lecturer then PhD is compulsory.

It's true working as faculty members got less pay than people who working outside even though got a PhD. A PhD doesn't means higher pay. Outside it's the experience that count. A PhD is just a recognition between faculty members and just a life satisfaction/euphoria because can finished/passed the most hardest/hellish time of someone life. Anyway it's all in the mind.

Even though the pay is less when working in University as a faculty member, I love the flexible hours. No punch-card, can come and go whenever I want. Only 8 hours per-week of lecturing/lab/tutoring. Other than that doing research and other things. Anyway the best things is when one has research grant which can be used to hire RA/RO, buying stuffs such as latest laptop and other gadget LOL and travel around the world for conference and paper presentation.

If the money is not enough, as I said in previous posts, one can do moonlighting/consultancy or teaching intensive course like 3 to 5 days - 8 hours perday and about 100-150 perhour. So for a week job one can have like 4K to 9K easily, well that is if you work in computing field where there are many courses to teach .

I think If you just wanting a better job position and MS/MA is already enough, however if you're an academician/professor/lecturer then PhD is compulsory.

It's true working as faculty members got less pay than people who working outside even though got a PhD. A PhD doesn't means higher pay. Outside it's the experience that count. A PhD is just a recognition between faculty members and just a life satisfaction/euphoria because can finished/passed the most hardest/hellish time of someone life. Anyway it's all in the mind.

Even though the pay is less when working in University as a faculty member, I love the flexible hours. No punch-card, can come and go whenever I want. Only 8 hours per-week of lecturing/lab/tutoring. Other than that doing research and other things. Anyway the best things is when one has research grant which can be used to hire RA/RO, buying stuffs such as latest laptop and other gadget LOL and travel around the world for conference and paper presentation.

If the money is not enough, as I said in previous posts, one can do moonlighting/consultancy or teaching intensive course like 3 to 5 days - 8 hours perday and about 100-150 perhour. So for a week job one can have like 4K to 9K easily, well that is if you work in computing field where there are many courses to teach .
    Thanks so much for your advice! I know that a PhD does not mean that I will get paid more. That was not what I was aiming for.Honestly, if I cared about money THAT much then I would not have gone into the teaching field. The thing is, in my field, it is hard to get a full time position. Part time positions are easy, but full time positions are almost impossible. THat was one of the main reasons why my professor said she wanted a PhD. She only had her masters and even though she had experience and all, she was still only able to work in part time positions.

I totally agree about the experience and all. You can have a lot of degrees down your belt but if you don't have any experience, even a PhD doesn't help much... I have my masters but not much experience so I need to go overseas since I don't qualify for any jobs in the US. Each job in the US requires at least 2-3 years of solid experience which is something I don't have yet.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Thanks so much for your advice! I know that a PhD does not mean that I will get paid more. That was not what I was aiming for.Honestly, if I cared about money THAT much then I would not have gone into the teaching field. The thing is, in my field, it is hard to get a full time position. Part time positions are easy, but full time positions are almost impossible. THat was one of the main reasons why my professor said she wanted a PhD. She only had her masters and even though she had experience and all, she was still only able to work in part time positions.

I totally agree about the experience and all. You can have a lot of degrees down your belt but if you don't have any experience, even a PhD doesn't help much... I have my masters but not much experience so I need to go overseas since I don't qualify for any jobs in the US. Each job in the US requires at least 2-3 years of solid experience which is something I don't have yet.
    Have you applied or tried to apply for Fullbright scholarship? It allow US scholar to go overseas to do a variety of educational activities, primarily university lecturing, advanced research, graduate study and teaching in elementary and secondary schools. You should try and applied for it since you have your MA in Ed already .

Teaching is indeed exciting, only if you like very much the things that you teach . I've experience teaching in high-school, teaching chemistry but it's only for 6 months for my practical training . Anyway I never have the chance to go *outside*, I stuck here at the Uni where I do my first degree since I finish with it working as lecturer. But I go to Edinburgh for my study-leave doing my MSc and PhD. I'm Malaysian btw.
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 02-07-09 at 10:59 PM.

Have you applied or tried to apply for Fullbright scholarship? It allow US scholar to go overseas to do a variety of educational activities, primarily university lecturing, advanced research, graduate study and teaching in elementary and secondary schools. You should try and applied for it since you have your MA in Ed already .

Teaching is indeed exciting, only if you like very much the things that you teach . I've experience teaching in high-school, teaching chemistry but it's only for 6 months for my practical training . Anyway I never have the change to go outside, I stuck here at the Uni where I do my first degree since I finish with it. But I go to Edinburgh doing my MSc and PhD. I'm Malaysian btw.
    Yea, I heard about the Fullbright thing and was thinking of that. However, I heard it is also pretty competitive so I don't think I can be better than others and get one. This one girl I hated got one which surprised me. She is not even a native English speaker either and is really conceited. I have an MA in TESOL which I think is a little bit different right?

Yea, I like teaching English a lot and it one of the best things that I ever like to do. I have always liked teaching ever since young but wasn't sure what to teach. However, I finally decided to teach English years ago. I heard you are from Malaysia. You seem to be far ahead of a lot of people so you should be happy and proud of yourself.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

You seem to be far ahead of a lot of people so you should be happy and proud of yourself.
    Hahaha, nope, I'm just the same like everybody else, it's just circumstances and opportunity comes at the right time for me, that's all . I'm far ahead in other things but I'm very far behind in other things. So yeah, no one is perfect. It's prolly because of my life circumstances, as I wrote in other thread make me a little bit *bless* in this.