Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The TOP 5 Strongest Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    This thread is inspired by PJ's recent thread discussing the "Five Grand Arts".

Some people disagrees that the "Five Grand Arts" described in HSDS are strong arts. This could very well be true.

The "Five Grand Arts" also exclude unorthodox arts so they might not be the strongest five.

So if we do include all arts in Jin Yong's universe, which arts would take the TOP 5?

Here are my picks:

Liu Mai Shen Jian (Six Meridian Divine Sword) - the ONLY art in Jin Yong's world that can literally SHOOT chi like laser beams. Definitely one of the best, if not the best, arts ever!

Dugu Jiu Jian (Dugu Nine Swords) - This art contains the counters to ALL weapons. In its ninth stage, it could also counter CHI! If mastered properly, DG9J might be able to take on the BEST masters of martial arts.

Bei Ming Shen Gong (Northern Divine Art) - An art that could suck energy out of another person. This is one out of two arts that could suck chi. The other is Xi Xing Da Fa. I feel that BMSG>XXDF because it existed long before XXDF, and XXDF could very well be derived from BMSG.

Yi Jin Jing (Tendon Strengthening Art) - Very powerful. This art propelled You Tanzhi, a martial arts illiterate, to Greats' level! Linghu Chong also benefited GREATLY from this art. Probably the best chi cultivation art in existance.

Xiao Wu Xiang Gong - Not very sure how this art works. I think it fakes the energy of other schools and allows the user to fool other people. So basically, one only need to learn the outer techniques of a school and fake the inner energy with XWXG's energy.
    Xi Xing Da Fa is not a derive of Bei Ming Shen Gong. I believe in DGSD the wang girl mentions XXDF (atleast in the 2003 series episode 8)

Yiyang zhi let's you shoot chi energy. Yideng and JLGS were fighting with their chi energy, neither dared get too close to the other. 6MSJ, I believe, let's you turn your chi energy into chi-sabers.

Should Hong Lung 18 Palms get a nod here? I know one of its big weaknesses is that it requires great inner power, but features no built-in inner-power power system. The same, however, is true of 6 Mak Divine Swords and a few other featured arts here.

When adequately powered up, Hong Lung 18 Palms is as deadly dangerous as anything else on this list. The preferred offensive technique of Kiu Fung and Gwok Jing should count for something.

Quote Originally Posted by kwekmh View Post
    Of course you're right, but it's advisable for you to substantiate your opinions/logic on a discussion board where free exchange of ideas flows.
    Wow. People can be such a-holes at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Should Hong Lung 18 Palms get a nod here? I know one of its big weaknesses is that it requires great inner power, but features no built-in inner-power power system. The same, however, is true of 6 Mak Divine Swords and a few other featured arts here.

When adequately powered up, Hong Lung 18 Palms is as deadly dangerous as anything else on this list. The preferred offensive technique of Kiu Fung and Gwok Jing should count for something.
    I would agree that Xiang Long Shiba Zhang should definitely get a mention in the Top 5 strongest martial arts in the Jin Yong universe. I read somewhere that it has been explicitly mentioned in the LOCH novel that the Xiang Long Shiba Zhang technique is the single most powerful external style martial art in the LOCH world, being unmatched in its ferocity, meticulousness, and sheer power.

Yeah, definitely warrants a mention in the top 5.

Qian Kun Da Nuo Yi also deserves to be included in the Top 5 IMHO, considering it took the base of Jiuyang Zhenjing for Zhang Wuji to master all or most levels of the technique. For anyone else without a strong base of Jiuyang Zhenjing it would have taken decades to just move from one level to the next.