View Poll Results: Which do you like more - Shaolin Sect or Beggars' Association?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shaolin Sect

12 50.00%
  • Beggars' Association

12 50.00%

Thread: Do you like Shaolin Sect more or Beggars' Association?

Post Do you like Shaolin Sect more or Beggars' Association?

Shaolin Sect and Beggars' Association - maybe two of the biggest and longstanding martial arts associations in Jin Yong novels.

Things we like about Shaolin - Sweeper Monk, Yinjin Jing, 72 Supreme Arts, maybe to a lesser extent people like Jueyuan and Fangzheng

Things we like about Beggars' - Xiao Feng, Hong Qigong, Guo Jing, Huang Rong, Dragon Subduing Palms and Dog Beating Stick.

Which do you like more - Shaolin or Beggars' Association?
    ..ext88

For me, Shaolin is more likeable.

Though Beggar clan has Xiao Feng, Hong Qigong, Guo Jing, and Huang Rong, beggar clan itself just sucks. The main figures have different plot line. They ocassionally crosses the path of beggar clan. Beggar clan is more like bunch of beggars.

But shaolin is whole different story.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Yea i think the Beggar Clan in HSDS just spoilt it for me. While Shaolin is always the Boss figure of Wulin and demonstrates some intelligence.

I like monks better than some dirty beggars
    so overall I like shaolin sect more but XF rocks

And remember, Xiao Feng is officially a Shaoliner

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Yea i think the Beggar Clan in HSDS just spoilt it for me. While Shaolin is always the Boss figure of Wulin and demonstrates some intelligence.
    Up until XAJH, Shaolin sect was pretty embarrassing. If anything, Shaolin is more of a let down than Beggar Clan. Sweeper was the only one holding it up, ignoring the irony that he isn't even a Shaolin monk, but jsut a regular sweeper.

To me Jue Yuan is boring, Kong Jian failed. Only Xuan Zhang, out of all the monks from Shaolin, is likeable. They rejected two of the greatest prodigies in JY history, ZJB and ZWJ.

Sure martial arts wise, ShaoLin pawns BeggarClan. But given the expectations, Shaolin would have been a complete fail if it wasn't for JY adding in Sweeper. Beggar on the other hand produced XF, H7G, GJ, HR.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Up until XAJH, Shaolin sect was pretty embarrassing. If anything, Shaolin is more of a let down than Beggar Clan.
    Agree, agree. Considering the fact that Shaolin had 0 participants in the Huashan Tournaments, while Beggars' have 2 participants.
    ..ext88

Just so that my vote does not go to shame, are you asking for just the Shaolin and Beggars Union depicted in wuxia novels?

Extremer, you ought to point out the bad qualities in which not to choose those two. You know like how most politicians do. It's not whether Shaolin or Beggar Union is better, it is about, as long as I am not pathetic as those other losers.
    Last edited by Felix; 03-28-08 at 11:50 AM.

Yeah, very great intelligence.

No matter what, it is always a 3 on 1.

3 on 1 on C3F because he is so much higher in martial arts than three Shaolin monks.

3 on 1 on CMK because he can surely take on 3 old slow useless monks sitting in a tree.

Damn Shaolin hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Just so that my vote does not go to shame, are you asking for just the Shaolin and Beggars Union depicted in wuxia novels?.
    Yep, just the Shaolin and Beggars' Clan depicted in wuxia novels, particularly in JY novels. (I don't remember them having any huge roles in GL novels as far as I know.)

Extremer, you ought to point out the bad qualities in which not to choose those two. You know like how most politicians do. It's not whether Shaolin or Beggar Union is better, it is about, as long as I am not pathetic as those other losers.
    I think most JY fans would have both Shaolin and Beggars' in their top 5 favourite sects. Now, the question is - which do you like more? For myself, I had a hard time to choose between them, but the coolness of XL18Z wins my heart eventually.
    ..ext88

Yeah, very great intelligence.

No matter what, it is always a 3 on 1.

3 on 1 on C3F because he is so much higher in martial arts than three Shaolin monks.

3 on 1 on CMK because he can surely take on 3 old slow useless monks sitting in a tree.

Damn Shaolin hypocrites.
    ZWJ wanted Yang Xiao+Fan Yao+Yin TianZheng+Wei YiXiao but reckoned they are too useless to fight, not that he wanted to be 3V1ed.

ZWJ wanted Yang Xiao+Fan Yao+Yin TianZheng+Wei YiXiao but reckoned they are too useless to fight, not that he wanted to be 3V1ed.
    When the 3 Du-generation monks first appeared, they shamelessly imposed ganging up on Zhang Wuji 3:1.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    When the 3 Du-generation monks first appeared, they shamelessly imposed ganging up on Zhang Wuji 3:1.

LOL i like the shamelessly. Well the Du Monks did mention that they fight in 3s no matter how many opponents there are. Just like ZZR wanted whole of Emei to fight the 3 Du Monks. The DUs will still fight and not really have a cry.

If we're just talking about JY's books, then it's the Beggar's Association for me. H7G and XF were more interesting than anyone from Shaolin. Also, like others have mentioned, Shaolin in JY's world often didn't behave like a No.1 sect.

If we're considering other media as well, then my choice is Shaolin. Shaolin in Kung Fu movies is more awesome than all the other sects combined.

My criteria: Which organization would I be more willing to join? Answer: Beggar's Union because

1) I couldn't stand that life (no wine or meat? Shaved head? Chanting half the day? ::shudder::
    2) H7G and Wong Yung have senses of humor. They're way cooler as leaders than those crusty ol' Shaolin abbots

there are probably more substantial reasons but these are the ones I could think of on the fly.
    Last edited by dewyloony123; 03-31-08 at 09:37 AM.
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)

I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.