Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EEG's lawsuit against Isabella Leong

Default EEG's lawsuit against Isabella Leong

EEG has officially filed a lawsuit against rising star Isabella Leong Lok Si, 19-year old Isabella Leong signed a 20-year long contract with EEG when she was only 12.

Her amorous relationship with 42-year old Richard Li however (HK tycoon Li Ka Shing's son) must certainly have blossomed in recent months to such an extent that he has allegedly agreed to bail her out of this contract and send her to the States to study in some prestigious university — which by the way, will be handpicked by Michelle Yeoh, the matchmaker who had introduced the two. Isabella Leong was seen dining with Michelle Yeoh and her fiance Jean Todt and had apparently arrived in the States in Richard Li's private jet.

EEG's suit contained 3 main points - 1) Isabella is not allowed to sign any other contract with any other company (but she supposedly has plans to join forces + synergies with Michelle Yeoh in her film company or something) 2) Isabella MUST fulfill all conditions in her contract 3) her departure will cause the company to incur losses hence she MUST make reparations. It is speculated that EEG must not let Isabella Leong off lightly as it may set a dangerous precedent for other artistes under their label.

Isabella Leong is also reported to be studying English in New York currently and will have to return to Hong Kong in the near future to attend court-hearings for the case. In order to gain her freedom, she will have to face the unwelcome prospect of having to reveal details of the working relationship between her and EEG for the past 8 years.

source: Tom.com + Liao
    Translations: Gossipblog

Ok, not sure whether this piece of news is accurate or not, but if it is... OMG, 20 year contract?! . Talk about signing your life away. I knew EEG takes advantage of its employees, but the details are just so mind blowing. I'm still stuck on the contract . Will be very interesting how this lawsuit will go. Wonder if any additional juicy news will leak out.

Wtf is this. Are humans commodities? In the 21st century too...

Screw EEG, I'm not a fan of Isbaella or anything, but it's about time they take a knock in the knee with the crap they've been throwing at us, thinking they can play the audience like fools.

I'm rooting for Isabella. Heard she's had some high-end people back her up.

I thought it's a 15 years contract, which means she's almost half way through it already.

So it's a 20 years long contract?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

EEG made tvb contracts seem short!
    EEG definitely made precedence in Hong Kong entertainment industry.
    When they signed Nick Tse to 7 or 8 years contract, we thought it was wayyyy too long. But somehow, other companies followed EEG's footsteps, and now 8 years of contract is normalized...Gosh, Guess that's why TVB justifies 8 to 10 years contract when renewing their young artists contract

BUT, What disturbs me most is Isabella's mom signing a 20 year contract for her daughter
    Last edited by godiva; 04-10-08 at 01:13 PM.

EEG should sue in this case. I personally don't think her mom should have sold her daughter's next 20 years, but she did, so Isabella has to honor the contract. If she wants to break it, she needs to pay reparations in accordance with the stipulations stated in the contract - I assume there has to be breach of contract clauses in there.

Not fair to Isabella since she's not the one who signed the contract, but the contract was fine while she was being paid all these years. She can't just arbitrarily say oh now I can get paid better elsewhere, screw this old contract.
    This account is retired.

I'm no expert on HK laws, but can guardians sign away children's rights like this? I guess we would need additional info on the content of the contract. Either way, I'm sure if enough money is paid to EEG, they will have to let Isabella go.

The more I hear about EEG, the more they disgust me. Sad that they control so much power.

In the United States, I believe that guardians can only make decisions and/or sign contracts on behalf of their wards until their wards come of age and reach their majority; at that time, all contracts and agreements are nullified unless the (new) adult re-signs them and re-agrees to them. That should be common-law; I would be surprised if that isn't the case in HK.

That being said, WTF!!!!!!

20 years? Holy hell!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    EEG should sue in this case. I personally don't think her mom should have sold her daughter's next 20 years, but she did, so Isabella has to honor the contract. If she wants to break it, she needs to pay reparations in accordance with the stipulations stated in the contract - I assume there has to be breach of contract clauses in there.

Not fair to Isabella since she's not the one who signed the contract, but the contract was fine while she was being paid all these years. She can't just arbitrarily say oh now I can get paid better elsewhere, screw this old contract.
    Certain contracts deemed as unreasonable are invalid in the eyes of court. Those contracts defined as unreasonable varies in consideration but the theory is, ".. when the creator of the contract gains sole advantage and any normal person will not engage in such terms ..." (along that line, it's been awhile since i took a law class.)

regardless, isabella has a chance of winning if this is taken to the court and selected to have a jury.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    In the United States, I believe that guardians can only make decisions and/or sign contracts on behalf of their wards until their wards come of age and reach their majority; at that time, all contracts and agreements are nullified unless the (new) adult re-signs them and re-agrees to them. That should be common-law; I would be surprised if that isn't the case in HK.

That being said, WTF!!!!!!

20 years? Holy hell!
    yeah i recall reading about this as well. in addition, even if the old contract signed by the guardian had a clause regarding 'all terms abiding by this contract' - it will still not matter.

certain contractual terms even if written and signed by both parties may not be effective under the name of law.

Oh please, someone is actually defending this shady "contract"? I totally discourage utter packaging and commercialization of talent. SO LAME. I want EEG to go down down down....It's only the idiots who are still supporting them by buying all their crap that they still exist and exploit more money with their shady practices.

She was under a contract. Therefore she should be punished for breaking the contract. Simple as that.

OMG! My first post outside of my YunJae world!
    YunJae FOREVER!!!!!!!!!

Lol so if I force a 5 year old to sign a contract to give me all his future riches, then I should be able to sue him when he becomes a billionaire and refuses to give it all to me?

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Oh please, someone is actually defending this shady "contract"? I totally discourage utter packaging and commercialization of talent. SO LAME. I want EEG to go down down down....It's only the idiots who are still supporting them by buying all their crap that they still exist and exploit more money with their shady practices.
    Contract is like an investment. Some people enter shady investments and unfortunately, they will have to pay for their stupidity and ignorance.

None of us have all the details to the contract so everything is just speculation. I do feel right now EEG has higher end of the deal since there is a written contract stating the specifics.

Personally, I want Isabella to win so this will open the doors to legal questioning of certain contracts that EEG owns.

Lol so if I force a 5 year old to sign a contract to give me all his future riches, then I should be able to sue him when he becomes a billionaire and refuses to give it all to me?
    the 5-year old is represented by the guardian. The guardian should have the mental capacity to make decisions for the child.

Like Ren Wo Xing said, there should be a legal age at which the child can decide for themselves. Parents do not "own" their kids and rule all their life decisions.

I'm talking about "shoulds"...I am unaware of how the HK law really works. But if they allow EEG to sign 20 year contracts, that's utter b.s. Then again, EEG pays off the government anyway.

Then again, EEG pays off the government anyway.
    Yup, they pretty much do whatever they want. They'll probably bribe the jury in the end.

I'm not a fan of Isabella, but I hope the underdog wins in this case. EEG just plain pisses me off with their monopoly in the industry.

huh? no one forced her to sign the contract. her guardians agreed and signed it. and i'm sure that at that time isabella didn't object to it either, cause she probably wanted to be a famous star. and now that she's famous she doesn't want to obey the contract? EEG may be ruthless and evil but in this case, they have the right to sue isabella. and i hope isabella wins cause if it wasn't for EEG she wouldn't be a star to this day.

"Force" is subjective. Making a kid sign that kinda contract is basically..unethical.

Isabella isn't much of an underdog though, she's got Michelle Yeoh backing up her a.ss. Ha, it's beautifully ironic how EEG arranges for Isabella to go shoot Hollywood films with Michelle, and now she's gonna leave them. Serves them right though.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Yup, they pretty much do whatever they want. They'll probably bribe the jury in the end.

I'm not a fan of Isabella, but I hope the underdog wins in this case. EEG just plain pisses me off with their monopoly in the industry.
    Wow, as a person that's pretty darn passionate about law, do you honestly feel that many people in HK are immoral?

I think it's rather absurd to think bribing a jury will happen. Both parties are allowed to narrow down the jury and this process normally grabs the best candidates to decide what is the rightful outcome. When all fails, losing party can always try again at a higher court.

"Force" is subjective. Making a kid sign that kinda contract is basically..unethical.

Isabella isn't much of an underdog though, she's got Michelle Yeoh backing up her a.ss. Ha, it's beautifully ironic how EEG arranges for Isabella to go shoot Hollywood films with Michelle, and now she's gonna leave them. Serves them right though.
    the kid didn't sign the contract, her mother did.