Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identity: ethnicity vs. nationality.

You can fight with your expressions! Stare them DOWN!

I've found that people naturally like to pick the identity that alienates you more.
    Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Pff I would so fight in a war for China, because I'm Chinese and I don't care what my citizenship says.
    Don't you think you'd consider the cause as well? I've never loved any country enough to say that I'd go to war for it whether I believed war was moral or not. Given that option I'd seriously move to Switzerland (since Switzerland is always neutral ). I'm proud of my heritage but I'm not particularly proud of the PRC government (it's kind of hard to be)...

And it's not like the PRC government has done anything for me in over 10 years besides given me a couple of visas. Either way the US and Canada have given me way more. So why should I risk my life for the PRC and be forced to possibly fight against people in my current country of residence that I care about? Not worth it imo.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Well I'm more of a people-focused person, and if my FAMILY and other Chinese people are getting massacred, then I don't think I'm going to sit there and be like..."Hmmmm let me THINK nowwww....should I try to help? Naw, I hate the PRC."

The thing is China =/= PRC. China is a country. PRC is the governmen running that country.

I don't strictly look at it in terms of who has given me what. My parents made the decision to leave China--PRC would've given me an education and all that if I had stayed.

You can fight with your expressions! Stare them DOWN!
    Oh yes I forgot my death glare.

Well the best thing I can do for my homeland is try to be a respectable Chinese living in the West.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Well I'm more of a people-focused person, and if my FAMILY and other Chinese people are getting massacred
    Well I believe relationships are based on more than blood, so if my best friends here are "getting massacred," I should just go and support some relatives who've met me twice in my life instead of the people who are always there for me after a bad day? Only because of blood relations would I not be willing to fight against China and move to Switzerland.

The thing is China =/= PRC. China is a country. PRC is the governmen running that country.
    How is China a country? A country is a political entity (thus the need for a government), while China is a geographical and cultural region. The UN recognizes the PRC, not "China." Your second statement is also incorrect - the ruling government would be referred to as the CCP, not the PRC, which is the country rather than the party.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Oh okay you're right...my bad....damn why does everyone refer to PRC PRC PRC then? Why can't they say CCP?

Depends....I have very very close relatives back home. And regardless, blood runs thicker than water.