Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which actresses is overrated and underrated?

Quote Originally Posted by algaechu View Post
    such as; XLN???

Most of actresses want this role. But it came to LYF. Sorry, for your favorite actresses. Ady, Yang Mi, Jiang Xin could not be the lead role if there is LYF in the same serie. That's the unbearable truth for most of people here.
    XLN, WYY, her role in the forbidden kingdom. Notice how they are similar roles? Cold, emotionless, wooden?

I think most actresses would rather have the role of HR in LOCH than ROCH XLN. More range of emotion and conflicts to act out. You might believe LYF could play HR well, but a lot of people here would doubt she'd have the acting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    XLN, WYY, her role in the forbidden kingdom. Notice how they are similar roles? Cold, emotionless, wooden?

I think most actresses would rather have the role of HR in LOCH than ROCH XLN. More range of emotion and conflicts to act out. You might believe LYF could play HR well, but a lot of people here would doubt she'd have the acting ability.
    I think people are more interested in XLN role than HR. XLN is the most favorite role for most people who love wuxia novels and series.

LYF got the right role. XLN is cold, emotionless, but people like her a lot. I don't want LYF to be HR anymore. Not because she has no ability but she has got the better role already.

LYF would not be in TV series anyway. She has soared to Hollywood already. I believe she will get the different roles in hollywood because there're not only wuxia movies in hollywood.

Of course she always the talk of the town (perhaps that why many people posted her as..overrated) but her performances....I mean I don't personally hate her...but she has yet to really impress, while some of the other actresses had impressed.Yes XLN was probably her best performance, but on the whole it wasn't a spectacular one. But perhaps the more nagging thing is that some really great actresses do not get like any press. I mean can you really tell me that her performances are incredibly better than some of the underrated actresses and hence her popularity is deserved? I'm fine if you still like her because that's your choice..maybe you see something I don't. But my opinion is that:
    I've see her in 3 dramas (TLBB, Chinese Paladin, and ROCH) and in The Forbidden Kingdom.

In TLBB, she was out shined by Liu Tao (who was original cast as WYY but it changed) and Jiang Xin.

In Chinese Paladin, she was outperformed by Ady.

In ROCH, she was OK but some supporting actress (ie. Yang Mi and Yang Rui) did put up a better performance..

In Forbidden Kingdom, LBB was more lively...

Again, I don't dislike her, because this phenomenon is not her fault..What I believe is that I feel injustice because great actresses are getting squeezed aside. But I'm not gonno try to change anyone view (it wouldn't happen even if I did try to) If you like her then fine, but I just think right now she overrated. Maybe she improves because she's still young, until then I stand by my opinion.
    Last edited by ~Dan~; 07-24-08 at 11:40 PM.

I guess that remains to be seen because she is commonly cast to play "easy" characters. When she has played a wider range of characters - perhaps a villian then we'd have a better idea. But as it stands she is just an "idol" - people aren't fans because of her acting ability, but rather like her just because she's popular. Sort of like TWINS (but TWINS is an overexaggeration).

I made the comparison to HR not because people like her more than XLN, but because HR is so much more complex than XLN and you need much more skill to play HR well than XLN well. Someone who played HR well would likely be able to play XLN well as well, but that's not the same in reverse.
    Last edited by KeongJai; 07-24-08 at 11:44 PM.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

I swear, every time there is a comparison thread of actresses people are at each other throats.

Overrated Actresses:

Kim Tae Hee and Kim Hee Sun

Looks : They are both pretty, but nothing extraodinary to be regarded as "top beauties."

Talents: Seriously, it's high time for some acting lessons, ladies.

the series which LYF is the lead are always the talk of the town??
    who think this is because of LYF? TLBB and ROCH is always people's fav series. Whenever remake comes out, people watching this didn't care who is leading role. People watching that because it's famous story all the time, it's not because of her acting or certain casts. All of Jin Rong's story series got lots of spotlight all them time because it's TOO FAMOUS NOVEL. Who think people watching that because of her?

Most of actresses want this (XLN) role??
    The actresses who want to this role is unfamous actresses or newbiz. Due to poparality of original novel, it's remake series always easy to got spotlight. So the actresses who want to got more attention want to this role whereas Top-class actresses are not.

She has soared to Hollywood already??
    LYF fans believe she's already international star in this world. OMG...I am really surprised by their big imagination. Lots of Asian actresses already did one (or more) Hollywood movie before LYF.
    Whenever there are rumored news about LYF's upcoming project, theiy fan's saying maked me laugh crazy
    "She don't need to do China productions because she already in hollywood"
    One movie in hollywood DOESN'T means she's hollywood star or what. and those days, so many Chinese young actresses invited in hollywood movie. Sadly, most of Asian's actress always got vase role (or useless role) in Hollywood. Let's see if LYF got the famale leading role in A-Class hollywood movie.

Ady, Yang Mi, Jiang Xin could not be the lead role if there is LYF in the same serie??
    really? maybe. but their acting out shine over LYF all the time.
    月は
    一つしかないと
    思っていたが
    山の端でなく
    池の底にも月が出た。

Thanks to Dan and KeongJai for your explanation.

I never insult others opinions. If you think LYF is overrated, it's fine. I just posted my opinion too.

I think that only talent and acting skill are not enough to reach the fame. Ady, Jiang Xin, Yang Mi may have the skill but not attractive enough for me. May be I don't see what you see in them and I see something in LYF that many of you don't too.

People love their idols for many reasons, not only acting skill and look.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dan~ View Post
    In TLBB, she was out shined by Liu Tao (who was original cast as WYY but it changed) and Jiang Xin.

In Chinese Paladin, she was outperformed by Ady.

In ROCH, she was OK but some supporting actress (ie. Yang Mi and Yang Rui) did put up a better performance..

In Forbidden Kingdom, LBB was more lively...

Again, I don't dislike her, because this phenomenon is not her fault..What I believe is that I feel injustice because great actresses are getting squeezed aside. But I'm not gonno try to change anyone view (it wouldn't happen even if I did try to) If you like her then fine, but I just think right now she overrated. Maybe she improves because she's still young, until then I stand by my opinion.
    i agreed with your observations. i saw three out of those four (didn't see roch) and she may be the prettiest to most but fades fast to the background.

and yes, lyf is freaking over-rated. i'm glad lbb got more attention from the forbidden kingdom. she was just mesmerizing.
    ---------
    Shellie

who think this is because of LYF? TLBB and ROCH is always people's fav series.
    ROCH is not always success in the series. Think about Wu Qianlian (the black-dressed XLN) version. Although WQL is famous for so long, but she totally failed in the role XLN.

And think what would happen if YM, Ady, or Jiang Xin got XLN role. I don't think it would better than LYF's XLN.

The actresses who want to this role is unfamous actresses or newbiz. Due to poparality of original novel, it's remake series always easy to got spotlight. So the actresses who want to got more attention want to this role whereas Top-class actresses are not.
    I heard that many famous actresses came to cast for the role too such as; Faye Wong, Shui Ling, DaS, Cecilia Cheung, etc.

Ady, Yang Mi, Jiang Xin could not be the lead role if there is LYF in the same serie??
    really? maybe. but their acting out shine over LYF all the time.
    Who out shines over whom is just personal opinions. But who is the lead role is the fact.

"success of series" and "talk of the town" are totally different meaning.

Pretty bad series also the talk of the town. Countless nagative comments.
    Yap, Wu Qianlian's ROCH was bad, but there was also talk of the town about that series. Almost of them are "BAD" comment. talk of the town doesn't always meant they are good. Bad comment makes people write more comments. You said the series LYF is the lead are always(?) the talk of the town, but almost of comments are about the story of based on famous novel, not actress herself.

Not only LYF's case, but also almost of Jin Rong's adoptation series have so many talk than other plain wuxia series or modern series. It's natural situation that always happen, nothing because of LYF. For example. "New Hong Lou Meng" make ton of talk here and there. But none of their confirmed casts are well known. But People never stop talking about that series because it's remake product based on famous story.

Those who present as the haters also watch them. awww.. If people like that novel so much, they watching the series don't care who are main casts. And after watching, people start to like and hate someone. Without watching their acting, how can people can be fan or hater? People watching the series itself. Except LYF fans, who can said they watching the series because of to see LYF's face? U think that only talent and acting skill are not enough to reach the fame. Ya I agree..Most of times, "connection" is the most important thing to got fame included LYF's case.

where did you heard such as; Faye Wong, Shui Ling, DaS, Cecilia Cheung casts for that role? I never heard any of their name except Shui Ling. Faye Wong? she's more singer and she never did any TV series before. Do u even know her age? Production company spread so many news with famous actress's name when they choose the XLN. But almost of them cleared as fake news, the production team make the rumor to got more attention. And their suspectation always changed everyday. Only a few of actress actually did camera tests and other are just involved the rumor spread by production company or media.

Who out shines over whom is just personal opinions. But who is the lead role makes the whole series awful is also the fact Moreover, It's fact one leading actress can't outshines over the supporting actresses is shameful one. The things people tend to remember long time are the great acting skill of someone and their memorized character rather than fades fast leading actress's name.

As you said, I don't see what you see in LYF and I see something in other actresses that you don't too. Lose all interest to make more post in here. Called LYF as your godess and keep your LYF will going to hollywood star dream =) Who care.
    Last edited by myedi; 07-25-08 at 05:20 AM.
    月は
    一つしかないと
    思っていたが
    山の端でなく
    池の底にも月が出た。

I think LYF is indeed over-rated and over-packaged in China. She has the looks but will need to improve on some real skills and talents to get a variety of different characters to portray. Otherwise she will always be the XLN character and people will get sick of her.

Who out shines over whom is just personal opinions. But who is the lead role is the fact.
    Haha do you realize that most of LYF's appearance, she is not the lead actress? She has only played lead in Chinese Paladin and ROCH 06.

And in both cases, she fitted the roles only because of her age, looks and public perception as required by the character.

Who out shines over whom is just personal opinions. But who is the lead role makes the whole series awful is also the fact Moreover, It's fact one leading actress can't outshines over the supporting actresses is shameful one.
    That's also your opinion too, not the fact. How can you conclude that she makes the whole series awful is also the fact? I never knew LYF before. I saw her in ROCH06 and told myself that she is the best XLN ever. And I don't see any supporting actresses who could outshine her. That's the my opinion too. It's not the FACT. The fact is LYF got the lead role while those actresses could be only the supporting. It's the unbearable truth for LYF's haters and those actresses fans.

That's why they came here to label LYF as "overrated".

That's also your opinion too, not the fact. How can you conclude that she makes the whole series awful is also the fact? I never knew LYF before. I saw her in ROCH06 and told myself that she is the best XLN ever. And I don't see any supporting actresses who could outshine her. That's the my opinion too. It's not the FACT. The fact is LYF got the lead role while those actresses could be only the supporting. It's the unbearable truth for LYF's haters and those actresses fans.

i called her over-rated because she looks cute but can't act. and i think most agreed that she was outshone by her co-stars. and very obvious too in chinese paladin, the forbidden kingdom, and tlbb. you don't have to be a hater to see that.
    ---------
    Shellie

It's funny how when a certain actress gets critiqued about her acting skills being non-existent and poor, people automatically label us HATERS.

LMAO. . .
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Thanks to Dan and KeongJai for your explanation.

I never insult others opinions. If you think LYF is overrated, it's fine. I just posted my opinion too.

I think that only talent and acting skill are not enough to reach the fame. Ady, Jiang Xin, Yang Mi may have the skill but not attractive enough for me. May be I don't see what you see in them and I see something in LYF that many of you don't too.

People love their idols for many reasons, not only acting skill and look.

basically, all i am getting from you is that LYF is pretty and she gets good roles while the so called "haters" have been saying that she can't act. You are putting your opinions on her physical looks while some of us have been pin pointing her weak acting.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Exactly. We're looking at LYF's acting abilities, not at her face. It's the two package deal: beauty and acting. I'm sure she's good at some roles, but she's not versatile enough, and it's a bugger that people can't see that. Therefore, I also agree that she's overrated.

As for under-rated, it's Ady An. She's definitely a versatile actress, and pretty. People see beauty differently, but you've gotta at least admit that she's cute. She's played a lot of roles versus LYF, who might as well star in a sitcom because her acting is so recurring.

I like LYF a lot. However I have to agree that she is overrated. The good thing though, is that she's still pretty young, so she has plenty of time to improve herself. If she keeps taking up boring roles though, there won't be space for her to improve. She needs to take on more versatile roles...roles that aren't not necessarily the leading roles.

The fact is LYF got the lead role while those actresses could be only the supporting. It's the unbearable truth for LYF's haters and those actresses fans.

Sigh... Say that to the lead of DGSD 03, JinFen Shijia. LYF has only played in Female Lead #1 two times. It is the unbearable truth for LYF lovers that she has not starred in many series at all. Actresses like Liu Tao and Ady An have dozens of series while LYF had 4 (in the same timespan). This simply shows that LYF is quite restricted to what roles she can play and directors and the audience know this.

I don't mind LYF myself but I just thought I'll state the obvious.

Algaechu's opinion - The fact is LYF got the lead role while those actresses could be only the supporting - makes me laugh. Oh! Leading actress's position doesn't mean she's better than supporting actress. It's just based on how many scenes they have. I think important thing is who plays the role w/ attractive acting skill
    天地者 萬物之逆旅 光陰者 百代之過客

"Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved."