Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Han Solo and Yittz's Clinic

Default Han Solo and Yittz's Clinic

Clinic returns.

Ask any questions and you shall have some answers.

Those answers may be short, rude, wrong or whatever.

Han Solo
    p/s: spammers be warned.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Congrats to us all for Dr. Han's return!

Dr. H, would you mind describing to us the role of an anaesthetist during an operation? What are your other daily duties?
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

And, what is the best thing to do when you get a bee sting? A wasp sting?
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Congrats to us all for Dr. Han's return!

Dr. H, would you mind describing to us the role of an anaesthetist during an operation? What are your other daily duties?
    In brief, the role of an anesthesist includes providing care to the patient before, during and after an operation- enabling surgeons to do their operations, managing patients so that they survive what the surgeons do to them, and manage the pain and other medical problems during and after the surgery.

This may be in the form of a general anesthesia or a regional anesthesia or even a sedation.

An anesthesist is also someone who is generally an expert in airway management, pain management, and usually can manage critically ill patients.

The daily routine varies with the different surgery but should ideally includes lots of tea break and time to check the internet/mail during the surgery.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

And, what is the best thing to do when you get a bee sting? A wasp sting?
    Management of Bee and Wasp Stings

American Family Physician, Jan 15, 2002 by Anne D. Walling

The two types of stinging insects (hymenoptera) are vespids (wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, and fire ants) and apids (honeybees and bumblebees). Vespids are attracted to bright colors and strong odors and can sting repeatedly without provocation.

Bumblebees also are able to sting repeatedly, but apids tend to sting only in defense. The severity of any hymenoptera sting depends on the volume and toxicity of venom injected, the site of the sting and the allergic status of the patient. Initial mild swelling and erythema can be treated with cold compresses and analgesics plus careful removal of the stinger if from a honeybee. Large local reactions can develop over two days and last up to one week. These reactions have the appearance of cellulitis, but are much less tender. Most patients respond to treatment with elevation, cold compresses, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Antihistamines may relieve itching, and very severe local reactions may benefit from oral steroid treatment for up to three days. Anaphylactic reactions occur in up to 3 percent of stings. These can include urticaria, flushing, angioedema, bronchospasm, and circulatory collapse. Symptoms may begin within 10 minutes of the sting or be delayed for up to five hours. A dangerous biphasic reaction occurs in up to one fifth of cases. In addition to aggressive treatment of anaphylactic reactions, patients who are allergic should be given preventive advice and the option of venom immunotherapy.
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Do all anti-venom contain blood fraction?

If you have no real allergies, but don't eat something for a long time (due to dislike, etc), is it normal to feel nausea and feel indigestion symptoms after eating it again?

Examples are people who go veggie but then eat meat again. In my case, I don't eat dairy products and when I do, I feel like throwing up.

I remember the thing with vegetarians who suddenly get a meat intake is something about their body not producing the stuff to digest them, since it hasn't used it for so long.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I had a 5 week history of cough worse between 1st and 2nd week, but still lingering - sometimes productive (yellow) but decreasing, no sore throat. Started after cold, which disappeared quickly. Used to be worst at night. I thought it was post nasal drip (have rhinitis), or maybe reflux cause I coughed so hard. Saw GP 1 week ago, prescribed Keflex, but I still have the cough after 1.5 week trial of it. He said he saw blisters on the back of my throat and keflex did help initially.

wtf is going on?
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    If you have no real allergies, but don't eat something for a long time (due to dislike, etc), is it normal to feel nausea and feel indigestion symptoms after eating it again?

Examples are people who go veggie but then eat meat again. In my case, I don't eat dairy products and when I do, I feel like throwing up.
    yes u right. I ever feel its. when I learn to veggie, I don't eat meat for a long time. But when I eat meat again, I feel my body is sick and nausea. its also happen to my friend who veggie.

Examples are people who go veggie but then eat meat again.

Once I became I vegetarian even the smell of meat makes me sick. I don't know if that's the same thing.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Thanks Dr. H. My mom got stung by a bee a few days ago and got a swollen wrist. She's fine now.

Get well soon, yittz.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I had a 5 week history of cough worse between 1st and 2nd week, but still lingering - sometimes productive (yellow) but decreasing, no sore throat. Started after cold, which disappeared quickly. Used to be worst at night. I thought it was post nasal drip (have rhinitis), or maybe reflux cause I coughed so hard. Saw GP 1 week ago, prescribed Keflex, but I still have the cough after 1.5 week trial of it. He said he saw blisters on the back of my throat and keflex did help initially.

wtf is going on?
    Whooping cough?

The other possible differential being a post-viral cough that can last for weeks due to increased sensitivity of your upper airway.

So, i guess take some codeine or oral morphine to blunt the cough reflex and make yourself feel better.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang ( : View Post
    Once I became I vegetarian even the smell of meat makes me sick. I don't know if that's the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillyana View Post
    yes u right. I ever feel its. when I learn to veggie, I don't eat meat for a long time. But when I eat meat again, I feel my body is sick and nausea. its also happen to my friend who veggie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I remember the thing with vegetarians who suddenly get a meat intake is something about their body not producing the stuff to digest them, since it hasn't used it for so long.

The same thing happened to me a few years back when i was a vegan for about 2 weeks, and nearly puke when i had another bite of meat.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

On behalf of all the aspiring doctors-to-be:

We all heard of the $$ involved in medical school.

How did you finance your medical education?
    Do you consider your salary a good enough financial return for your educational investment?
    How are the premiums?
    What are some tips you can offer on financial management for medical students/residents?

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Do all anti-venom contain blood fraction?
    Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antivenin

And this CSL page is really really good. (CSL is the antivenom provider for australia and is famous for its major research into toxicology and serum products).
    http://www.toxinology.com/generic_st..._contents.html

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

On behalf of all the aspiring doctors-to-be:

We all heard of the $$ involved in medical school.

How did you finance your medical education?
    Do you consider your salary a good enough financial return for your educational investment?
    How are the premiums?
    What are some tips you can offer on financial management for medical students/residents?
    1) Parents paid for it. My university gave some scholarship.

2) Didn't get into medicine to get rich. To get rich or great return from your education- study finance or something and become an investment banker/hedgies etc.

3) Financial management for med. student - lol, none.

You guys and girls are going to be poor- so don't be afraid to say no to fancy stuffs like wine, dance and etc.

Grab all the free stuffs you can like the patient's food, other doctor's stuffs, drug rep lunches can save you $$$.

Do part time jobs to pay your med school bills- they wouldn't miss you much in med. school anyway, and you don't really learn all that much anyway- so don't hesistate to grab some $$ now.

Residents- now that you got some money, you may think that you can enjoy the wine etc but fat chance, you wouldn't have the time to do that at all- mainly you will be focused on grabbing any sleep that you can, either by yourself or with others.

Grab as much free stuffs as you can from drug reps and then prove your independence by not using any of their drugs.

Do locums/extra works when you are meant to be working in your hospital.
    Claim every single overtime that you did. In fact, you can learn from a guy i know that come back to work at night after going out for dinner etc, and claim the whole time out as overtime too!!

Han Solo
    P/s: Some replies are tongue-in-cheek.
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Hi Dr Han.

My friend's grandma bumped her head on the door. the door was heavy and is made of steel. She developed a goose egg. My sister who is an intern told me that they need to observe grandma in case there will be vomitting, dizziness , continuos headache and drowsiness. She also advised that CTscan be performed. however, i dont think that going to have a ctscan will be convenient for my friend because everyone is working and no one will be able to go with grandma to the doctor soon. is it alright or is ctscan really necessary? as of today, grandma seems fine.

please advise. thanks dr han
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    And this CSL page is really really good. (CSL is the antivenom provider for australia and is famous for its major research into toxicology and serum products).
    Thank you so much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by big master View Post
    Hi Dr Han.

My friend's grandma bumped her head on the door. the door was heavy and is made of steel. She developed a goose egg. My sister who is an intern told me that they need to observe grandma in case there will be vomitting, dizziness , continuos headache and drowsiness. She also advised that CTscan be performed. however, i dont think that going to have a ctscan will be convenient for my friend because everyone is working and no one will be able to go with grandma to the doctor soon. is it alright or is ctscan really necessary? as of today, grandma seems fine.

please advise. thanks dr han
    Did your friend's granny had a loss of consciousness?

Did your friend's granny take anti-coagulants? i.e. blood thinners such as warfarin?

Is there any changes to the way the granny talk, moves or feel?

If no is the answer to those 3 questions, then CT is not really needed.

We commonly have a head injury advice to ppl for things to monitor so that deteriorations can be picked up immediately.
    http://www.mediflight.com.au/media/files/1561.pdf

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control