Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerful Opponents (Kangjeok)

Default Powerful Opponents (Kangjeok)

I just started watching Powerful Opponents (http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Powerful_Opponents ) and it starrs:

* Chae Rim as Cha Young Jin
    * Lee Jin Wook as Kang Soo Ho
    * Lee Jong Hyuk as Yoo Gwang Pil
    * Choi Ja Hye as Jung Yoo Min

Chae Rim and Lee Jong Hyuk make a funny pair who keeps going against each other. It's so funny. I think Yoo Gwan Pil enjoys torturing and annoying Cha Young Jin.

Lee Jin Wook (whao! 1st meaty role for him) as Kang Soo Ho, the president's rebellious son, whom Young Jin and Gwan Pil has to babysit and become bodyguards for.

I see possible cliches in terms of plot, but so far Chae Rim and LJH makes it watchable. Let's see how it turns out.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

OMG! This drama is unexpectedly addictive and dang, everyone has secrets buried and hidden from sight. I've watched six episodes so far and I don't want to stop. I like the cast, the three of them have a nice chemistry together. I found myself laughing out loud and I do see a nice love triangle waiting to happen. Though the little girl in this drama isn't as cute as the other kids in the other dramas. I guess its because she's older.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I guess I'll be talking to myself for a while here.

I'm so interested in what happened between Gwan Pil and Soo Ho eight years ago, seems like a big secret that would explode if it is publicized. I'm already having my suspicions and I wonder if I'm right. This is one of the better k-dramas I've watched lately.

aRGH! That Jeong Yu Min girl deserves to be slapped senselessly! I hate her! She's so evil and so thick-skinned! I'm waiting for her to be slapped and be humiliated. Just because her dad is a tycoon, she looks down at everyone and glides around like she's the queen. I'd like to see her humiliated now!

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Ohh, this is the drama about those involving bodyguard for VIPs, yeh actually I plan to watch this, but still not got the time. I have now too many to choose:

Cloud Stairway (current)
    East Of Eden
    Gourmet
    Spotlight
    Scale Of Providence
    My Woman
    Tazza
    Robber

and then there are those Fall US Tv series also going to be started at the end of September which is my main priority. Now I even ignoring all together my anime watching activity. Too many to watch, too little time and life is short, sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post

I'm so interested in what happened between Gwan Pil and Soo Ho eight years ago, seems like a big secret that would explode if it is publicized. I'm already having my suspicions and I wonder if I'm right. This is one of the better k-dramas I've watched lately.

i'm goin to start watching this series b/c of all your postings...will be back to discuss it with you...
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

I'm so interested in what happened between Gwan Pil and Soo Ho eight years ago
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Gawn Pil's daughter is Soo Ho's biological daughter. It was a love triangle(more like a couple and Soo Ho the stalker) that blew up and Soo Ho suffered an amnesia after the crash. Gwan Pil covered up for Soo Ho and left.
    Last edited by Ken Cheng; 09-17-08 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    Gawn Pil's daughter is Soo Ho's biological daughter. It was a love triangle(more like a couple and Soo Ho the stalker) that blew up and Soo Ho suffered an amnesia after the crash. Gwan Pil covered up for Soo Ho and left.
    JonDoe,
    Did you have to post the spoiler? Good thing I already watched past that part already. Next time USE THE SPOILER tags!! This is the last time I'm reminding you. I don't want you to spoil it for other people who have not watched it yet.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-17-08 at 09:36 PM.

JonDoe,
    Did you have to post the spoiler?
    You asked, I answered.

i'm on episode 5 now and I click on the spoiler..why? why?,,i can't control myself..

so far this is a pretty interesting series..like it so far..

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    You asked, I answered.
    I said I am interested because the drama managed to make me curious enough to continue watching the drama. It's true, I use the word "what" in that sentence, but there's NO question mark! You know this thing "?????". That statement only meant to express my curiousity, but it did not mean that I want to ask a question.

The spoiler tags are there so that we can politely post spoilers, but also NOT force people to read spoilers if they don't want to. I wish you'd be more considerate next time and use the spoiler tags in your posts when the content of what you write reveals something in the story plot (including your reviews).

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE View Post
    i'm on episode 5 now and I click on the spoiler..why? why?,,i can't control myself..

so far this is a pretty interesting series..like it so far..

Haha. Candee, I tried to protect you from being spoiled! But I hope you do continue to like it. I'm a bit busy now, but I can't wait to watch the last episode. Interesting stuff.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-19-08 at 06:16 PM.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

SS (lol, this sound like nazi police), I just started DL this drama from aigoo but will have to wait until I can watch it after I finish Cloud Stairway and Sweet 18. (LOL now I'm obsessed with Han Ji-Hye)

Anyway have you watch Robber (Jang Hyuk / LDH). Is it good?

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    SS (lol, this sound like nazi police), I just started DL this drama from aigoo but will have to wait until I can watch it after I finish Cloud Stairway and Sweet 18. (LOL now I'm obsessed with Han Ji-Hye)

Anyway have you watch Robber (Jang Hyuk / LDH). Is it good?
    Huh, What do mean? I can't believe you still haven't watched Sweet 18 before.

No, I haven't watched Robber yet. I'm considering it. I still hesitating on watching Sister-in-law is 19 or whatever it's called.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Huh, What do mean?
    I mean SS is an acronym of Nazi Police (Schutzstaffel) in WW2 which is similar to your member ID acronym.

I can't believe you still haven't watched Sweet 18 before.
    Hehe, up to now, I only watch Snow Queen, Green Rose and Cloud Stairway.
    I know Han Ji-Hye from Cloud Stairway, so that is why I'm searching for her other drama.

It is just recently that I found aigoo website which is a great site and very happening, before this I only watch kdrama if someone posted them to usenet which is very rare. Most of the drama posted to usenet is TVB stuff and no subtitle.

I try to dl torrent from d-addict but it's very slow for me and I quit doing torrent long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    I mean SS is an acronym of Nazi Police (Schutzstaffel) in WW2 which is similar to your member ID acronym.

Hehe, up to now, I only watch Snow Queen, Green Rose and Cloud Stairway.
    I know Han Ji-Hye from Cloud Stairway, so that is why I'm searching for her other drama.

It is just recently that I found aigoo website which is a great site and very happening, before this I only watch kdrama if someone posted them to usenet which is very rare. Most of the drama posted to usenet is TVB stuff and no subtitle.

I try to dl torrent from d-addict but it's very slow for me and I quit doing torrent long ago.
    I recommend SWEET 18....she's very young in there but she very cute and can hella Dance also...

i'm such a loser..I was so into this series and watch it nonstop till ep 7..curiosity got the best of me and I decided to watch the ending..After watching the ending, I guess I'm not happy with it so I made a decision to go on with a new series...Love Marriage and East of Eden are two on my list...

I stayed up the whole of last night and finished all 16 episodes at one go!! I like this series, think its much better in terms of plot and characterization as compared to Chae Rim's previous series, "Dal Ja's Spring".

CR's character is spunky and silly/funny at times but she's alot more serious and matured in here. I'm pretty amazed by her ability to shed off her girly/cutesy demeanour and convincingly portray a rough, tomboyish bodyguard. The male leads are pretty good as well, especially Lee Jong Hyuk who plays Yoo Gwang Pil; his character is very calm, controlled and sacrificial. LJH's acting is subtle but very natural and convincingly- was rooting for him and Chae Rim towards the end! Fangirls may prefer Kang Soo Ho (Lee Jin Wook) more but i found the character pretty cliche- typical spoilt wealthy guy with family problems but is a kind and passionate lover.

Loved the plot as well, which kept me glued to the screen and wanting to find out more. I also liked how the series gives equal focus and character development to all 3 main leads and we dont end up having an overdose of one character and too little of another. Humor was finely balanced throughout the series as well and CR never fails to tickle me with her comical acting, especially in the earlier bits when she was still at loggerheads with LJH. The scene where she mistook her walkie-talkie for her revolver was classic!

Supporting characters were alright but the leads clearly stole the show. The ending is slightly disappointing though- typical ambiguous closure which always happens when the director(s) are undecided over how to solve the love triangle. Overall, I would probably give this series 4 outta 5 stars. Anyone knows whether it did well when it was aired in Korea?
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 09-26-08 at 07:33 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Yeah, that was one of the highlights of the plot for me too and kept me going on episode after episode. I was actually expecting a more "typical" secret and im glad that i was surprised. Though:

I did have my suspicion that the little girl was actually Soo Ho's daughter.

aRGH! That Jeong Yu Min girl deserves to be slapped senselessly! I hate her! She's so evil and so thick-skinned! I'm waiting for her to be slapped and be humiliated. Just because her dad is a tycoon, she looks down at everyone and glides around like she's the queen. I'd like to see her humiliated now!
    Actually Yoo Min was alright imo; she's just a typical rich girl who has been pampered to the skies and has never had the chance or was never taught to sympathize with the less fortunate.

The character i really disliked was Soo Ho's sister. She acts all filial, righteous and kindly to her brother and parents but her actions and true intentions seemed downright hypocritical and selfish to me. I cant believe she still had the cheek to act the way she acted towards Gwang Pil after knowing what he had went through.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    I stayed up the whole of last night and finished all 16 episodes at one go!! I like this series, think its much better in terms of plot and characterization as compared to Chae Rim's previous series, "Dal Ja's Spring".

CR's character is spunky and silly/funny at times but she's alot more serious and matured in here. I'm pretty amazed by her ability to shed off her girly/cutesy demeanour and convincingly portray a rough, tomboyish bodyguard. The male leads are pretty good as well, especially Lee Jong Hyuk who plays Yoo Gwang Pil; his character is very calm, controlled and sacrificial. LJH's acting is subtle but very natural and convincingly- was rooting for him and Chae Rim towards the end! Fangirls may prefer Kang Soo Ho (Lee Jin Wook) more but i found the character pretty cliche- typical spoilt wealthy guy with family problems but is a kind and passionate lover.

Loved the plot as well, which kept me glued to the screen and wanting to find out more. I also liked how the series gives equal focus and character development to all 3 main leads and we dont end up having an overdose of one character and too little of another. Humor was finely balanced throughout the series as well and CR never fails to tickle me with her comical acting, especially in the earlier bits when she was still at loggerheads with LJH. The scene where she mistook her walkie-talkie for her revolver was classic!

Supporting characters were alright but the leads clearly stole the show. The ending is slightly disappointing though- typical ambiguous closure which always happens when the director(s) are undecided over how to solve the love triangle. Overall, I would probably give this series 4 outta 5 stars. Anyone knows whether it did well when it was aired in Korea?
    Yeah, I am impressed with the three leads, they really made me feel concerned for their stories. Like you said about the character development, I thought so too. I loved Chae Rim and Lee Jong Hyuk's chemistry. Although, I sort of find his character's calm and job-oriented mentality similar to his role in Hello! Mr. God. However, I like him better here. If I was Young Jin, I would fall in love and marry Gwan Pil, not Kang Soo Ho. In real life, I'd date Lee Jin Wook, he's so handsome before and after he shaved and got a haircut. Though, I'm more familiar with his shaved face and neat haircut. I like his smile and eyes. I still find Soo ho's character interesting, but I wouldn't choose the guy either. I guess that means I like mature and well-rounded guys who do well with whatever is given to him. A guy with character depth and care like Gwan Pil.

It was clear to me Young Jin and Gwan Pil mutally loved each other. Soo Ho has his daughter now, I don't think he should end up with Young Jin. He already "won" Ggot Nim's mother, when she was the object of both Gwan Pil and Soo Ho's love. Now Young Jin is meant for Gwan Pil. Soo Ho does not deserve her.

I haven't watched the last episode because I'm currently studying for an exam, doing homework for five classes, and reading alot for classes. And then I know what might happen in the last episode because of those darn preview of the next episode clips. But I still want to watch it anyway. Though I've heard the ending is disappointing, I still want to watch it. Yes, I'd give the same rating as you did. 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Yeah, that was one of the highlights of the plot for me too and kept me going on episode after episode. I was actually expecting a more "typical" secret and im glad that i was surprised. Though:

I did have my suspicion that the little girl was actually Soo Ho's daughter.

Actually Yoo Min was alright imo; she's just a typical rich girl who has been pampered to the skies and has never had the chance or was never taught to sympathize with the less fortunate.

The character i really disliked was Soo Ho's sister. She acts all filial, righteous and kindly to her brother and parents but her actions and true intentions seemed downright hypocritical and selfish to me. I cant believe she still had the cheek to act the way she acted towards Gwang Pil after knowing what he had went through.
    I know Yoo Min is okay, but her attitude and snobby character annoyed me until like the second last episode. I would NOT want Soo Ho to marry her, she seem very pampered, indeed.

Yes!!!!! I disliked Soo Ho's sister too.
    I can't believe how she could refuse to acknowledge Ggot Nim as part of her family. I don't care if it's her family's reputation at risk, the little girl deserves to be with her biological family as much as her cousin (SH's sister's daughter). Yeah! Gwan Pil sacrificed his youth to protect and raise Ggot Nim, she at least has to feel grateful, but all she did was become OVERTLY - protective.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-26-08 at 10:21 AM.

Just my 2 cents:

It's pretty obvious to me that Young Jin sees Gwang Pil more than just a good friend and partner. Maybe she doesnt exactly love him (the head over heels type) but she definitely has romantic feelings for him, just that shes too afraid of expressing it due to the nature of their work. The same cant be said for Soo Ho though. The way i see it is that Young Jin does care for him but not in the romantic sense. Somehow, their relationship just lacks the depth and richness present in the r/s btw Young Jin and Gwang Pil.

I just love the way GP develops feelings for YJ. Unlike how SH falls quickly and passionately for YJ, GP's pace is slow, gradual and very sweet. He doesnt openly declare his love but does it very subtly like stealing glances at her, gazing at her while deep in thought and aiding her but refusing to admit that he does it cause he cares for her.

Wise Fool