Thread: Wuxia martial arts designed not to target pressure points, but *anywhere*?

Default Wuxia martial arts designed not to target pressure points, but *anywhere*?

In wuxia stories, it seems that many martial arts are designed to specifically target the opponent's pressure points. There are plenty of pressure points on the body, but it's probably hard to target any particular one during the fast movements of combat.

Are there any martial arts that are designed to not target specific pressure points, but simply go after whatever part of the enemy's body is closest at hand/weapon?

I think its just moves targeted at pressure points, and moves NOT targeted at pressure points. I don't think there are specific skills designed for the purpose of not hitting pressure points. eg XL18Z, Sad Palms, Kong Ming Fists are good examples of those NOT aiming for pressure points. And the obvious opposites are Yiyangzhi and Tanzhi Shentong.

But I think there are various stances within skills targeting pressure points.

Well there's no point in NOT targetting pressure points; it hurts/damages a heck of a lot more than nonpressure points. I'd assume each skill that strikes at a certain area attempts to strike at certain pressure points so opponents move in predictable ways for your next attack to be able to hit another pressure point. It's like combo attacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Are there any martial arts that are designed to not target specific pressure points, but simply go after whatever part of the enemy's body is closest at hand/weapon?

Dugu Jiu Jian I suppose. And lots of other stuff actually. I don't think 6MSJ or XL18Z or Hamagong or Little Li's Flying Dagger or Sword 13-15 targets pressure points.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Dugu Jiu Jian I suppose. And lots of other stuff actually. I don't think 6MSJ or XL18Z or Hamagong or Little Li's Flying Dagger or Sword 13-15 targets pressure points.
    Yes. Who cares about pressure points when you can just deliver a strike through the throat? It's a lot more effective.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Quote Originally Posted by S Beaver View Post
    Yes. Who cares about pressure points when you can just deliver a strike through the throat? It's a lot more effective.
    It's not "more effective," but it's "effective enough."

There's no way that a dead guy can be "more dead." So there's no point to pussyfoot around with pressure points if you can't just blast their head off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    In wuxia stories, it seems that many martial arts are designed to specifically target the opponent's pressure points. There are plenty of pressure points on the body, but it's probably hard to target any particular one during the fast movements of combat.
    Hard? More like virtually impossible.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who