Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HSDS: was the Six Orthdox Sects' attack on Gwong Ming Peak well planned/executed?

That raises an interesting point. Do you think Cheng Kun adhered to the diet regime? No alc, no meat?

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    That raises an interesting point. Do you think Cheng Kun adhered to the diet regime? No alc, no meat?
    He probably did when there were people watching. When there weren't, probably not so much.

On the original question: don't forget that Jin Yong repeatedly emphasized (especially in this particular story) that massed expert martial artists are no match for well-organized, well-trained armies (even if a wulin expert could singlehandedly kill dozens of soldiers without much effort). When the struggle against the Ming Cult became a wulin-style game of one-on-one, then naturally, the situation favored the Six Orthodox Sects. What's surprising is that the orthodox sects' siege of Gwong Ming Peak succeeded at all given that as a group, they didn't have military training or much grasp of military strategy. This was siege warfare...something that wulin folks generally weren't very good at. On the other hand, I'd expect the Ming Cult folks to at least have a modicum of competence in military strategy if only because they had been part of a (somewhat) organized rebellion against the Yuan Dynasty for so long.

Actually it was mentioned that they had a designated strategiser - the leader of Hua Shan. He was well known for his intelligence/cunning/deception/skill with the tongue.

I do believe it had relatively good organisation, but without the Ming leaders cooperating, the battle plan wasn't really tested. The 6pai were relatively weary of the formations in the 5 elements with injuries suffered to even top teir fighters (WD no.6+7 etc.). The weaker 3 sects were evenly matched with 3 of the element groups. Given Eagle lords well trained force and, Yang Xiao's wind/cloud/thunder/ lightning, as well as 5 wanders, Wei 1 Xiao, it would have been one hell of a battle if CK didn't disable the leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Actually it was mentioned that they had a designated strategiser - the leader of Hua Shan. He was well known for his intelligence/cunning/deception/skill with the tongue.
    I'd have picked Mo Dong Hero # 4 (Cheung Chung Kai) as a better man for that job myself, although he didn't have any military training/experience either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    He probably did when there were people watching. When there weren't, probably not so much.
    He'd have to spend plenty of time with the monks therefore even if he did eat meat, it probably wasn't enough. Hence his monk-like intelligence. A meat lover like myself would've totally pwned the Ming Cult and the 6 Tofu Sects.

Given Eagle lords well trained force and, Yang Xiao's wind/cloud/thunder/ lightning, as well as 5 wanders, Wei 1 Xiao, it would have been one hell of a battle if CK didn't disable the leadership.
    The leaders weren't exactly cooperating, even if they weren't injured. The Eagle Sect were stationary while the 5 Flags were being slaughtered, then they joined in to fight the 5 Flags because of the BS old dispute. Had they actually been on the same side, even without the leaders, the 6 Tofu Schools would've had zero chance.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

In DGSD, Shaolin had a Great Luohan formation which made use of hundreds of disciples. It was meant for huge fights. No sure if JY meant for it to be effective against armies.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!