View Poll Results: Which Martial Art is better?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Central Plain Martial Art

14 82.35%
  • Non-Central Plain Martial Art

2 11.76%
  • Others, explain

1 5.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which martial art is better??

Default Which martial art is better??

Which martial art is better? Central plain martial art or non-Central plain martial art?

I would say Central plain martial art is better overall. It takes longer to learn and requires more training but will beat non-Central plain martial art in the end. This explains why martial artists from the outside world always come to Central Plain to steal martial art manual as they acknowledge their own martial arts are inferior.

If skills of Xixia, Dali, White Camel Mountain etc don't count as Central Plains, then the "outside world" has a pretty strong arsenal, probably stronger than what Central Plains had.

In HSDS, JY pretty much said central plains>non-central plains. It's ideas more complex.

With regards to flamers post I am not sure where the line is drawn. What about Shaolin, where its origin and half its 72 arts are non-chinese.

I think it is very difficult to draw the line. With Shaolin etc, the skills originated from too long a time for them to be considered foreign IMO.

Central Plains ftw-

In JY canon, there were very few times an "outsider" martial art would win over that of China (If any at all).

In DGSD, the Xiao Yao clan were almost godlike and were of Chinese origin (or at least that's what I inferred). Also the Janitor monk basically told the wulin world that Shaolin can whoop anyone's arse China style.

In LOCH, the most powerful art was 9-yin; created by HS who was of Central Plain origin using old Chinese taoist theories.

In ROCH, the two most powerful protagonists use the Central Plain arts. GJ used XL18P + 9-Yin and YG used DGQB's funky mainland sword style. Oh, and YG the Han Chinese invented sad palms.

In HSDS, we have Z3F and ZWJ... nuff said. (QKDNY is from Persia... but it isn't the most powerful art in the story)

P.S.- Shaolin is considered a central plain art by virtue of 2 things- 1) The only foreign element was brought by Bodhi Dharma in the form of YJJ and Xi Shui Jing. The rest were developed by the monks themselves. #2) It's the common law of immigration, much like America. Doesn't where you're from, once you spend enough time in the States, you're a gun toting, Beer drinking, gas guzzling American!

What about:

6 Meridian Swords from Dali
    Yiyangzhi from Dali
    XiaoYao Sect martial arts, LQS/TSTL from Xixia
    QKDNY from Persia
    Toad Stance from White Camel Mountain
    HYS' skills from Peach Blossom Island
    Elephant Dragon Prana

more to come if I can think of them.

In fact only two of the five Greats are from the Central Plains.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    What about:

6 Meridian Swords from Dali
    Yiyangzhi from Dali
    XiaoYao Sect martial arts, LQS/TSTL from Xixia
    QKDNY from Persia
    Toad Stance from White Camel Mountain
    HYS' skills from Peach Blossom Island
    Elephant Dragon Prana

more to come if I can think of them.

In fact only two of the five Greats are from the Central Plains.
    QKDNY was said to be inferior to Liang Yi changes etc. ZWJ had to use 8 changes etc by ZZR to defeat the KL/HS fighters. He would have been defeated very early if it wasn't for the large gap in martial arts and the fact that he knew 100% QKDNY, vs 20% of the other fighters.

The Snake crane at least was inferior to H7G's DGBF.

HYS is a Central plain fighter. Peach Blossum Island wasn't like Japan or anything. It was close to the main coast.

Haha I dunno how many people would choose to learn Liang Yi over QKDNY, given that said person has that ability to. I doubt its inferior in practice.

Snake Crane was only inferior to DBS at the very last level but fine.

Peach Bossom Island being off the shores of Zhejiang, should not qualify as Central PLAINS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ch...acro_areas.svg

Haha I dunno how many people would choose to learn Liang Yi over QKDNY, given that said person has that ability to. I doubt its inferior in practice.

Snake Crane was only inferior to DBS at the very last level but fine.

Peach Bossom Island being off the shores of Zhejiang, should not qualify as Central PLAINS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ch...acro_areas.svg
    华山、昆仑两派的正反两仪刀剑之术,是从中国固有的河图洛书、以及伏羲文王的八卦方位中推演而得,其奥妙精 微之处,若能深研到极致,比之西域的乾坤大挪移实有过之而无不及,只是易理深邃,何太冲夫妇及高矮二老只不 过学得二三成而已,否则早已合力将敌手毙于刀剑之下,但饶是如此,张无忌空有一身惊世骇俗的浑厚内力,却也 无法脱困。

It said in the book, 2 li>QKDNY.

That's just technicalities. How can you not consider HYS a central plain artist. He was born, grew up and roamed central plains when he was young. His understanding of martial arts arose from central plain teachings. According to your map, Kun Lun and Hua Shan aren't, nor QQR, nor Heng Shan, nor any martial arts south of yangzte river.

The places you listed are still on the Central PLAINS. HYS' skills and prowess may have been accumulated in the Central Plains but I think it was mentioned that HYS hasn't entered Central Plains for quite some time until he decided to look for Huang Rong. Sorry I can't look for the text because my new laptop does not have Chinese. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Even if Peach Bossom Island is not part of Central Plains, it is technically correct to credit his skills to Central Plains.

Regarding QKDNY, it appears that the extreme level of Liang Yi is better than QKDNY. Does that mean its a >Great skill? I think it may be that difficult to get to that extreme level its almost impossible.

I think what I'm trying to say is that non-Central Plains martial arts are not that much inferior, or at all compared to Central Plains skills. 6MSJ itself will be pretty strong contender with the great XF acknowledging that he cannot block DY's novice 6MSJ.
    Last edited by flamer; 12-24-08 at 09:43 PM.

The answer is very simple.

MY martial art is better.

See how easy that was?

I think everyone is forgetting that the Liangyi swordplay had to be executed by FOUR people, whereas QKDNY could be executed by one.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I think what I'm trying to say is that non-Central Plains martial arts are not that much inferior, or at all compared to Central Plains skills. 6MSJ itself will be pretty strong contender with the great XF acknowledging that he cannot block DY's novice 6MSJ.
    I thought Dali is considered part of Central Plains.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Yes, it was said in theory, Taiji > Sixiang > Liangyi > Qiankun Danuoyi, which begs the question: where would Bagua fit in the equation?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I thought Dali is considered part of Central Plains.
    I would highly doubt that. I remember several references about Yideng entering Central Plains etc etc... or was it Duan Yu.

It's hard to generalize them and say which is better, but the feeling is that the former focus more on internal energy, while the latter is more on techniques and moves.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Yes, it was said in theory, Taiji > Sixiang > Liangyi > Qiankun Danuoyi, which begs the question: where would Bagua fit in the equation?
    I reckon Ba Gua is better than SiXiang. But it seems Ba Gua is run of the mill stuff. The Liangyi concept>QKDNY. And YCZ demonstrated you can do LiangYi sword play in Royal Blood.

Well, aside from those already mentioned (esp. Dali's 6MSJ), Dugu is a non-central plain surname and so DGKB's stuff can all be considered non-Central Plain.

And there is also that fancy Yoga technique which YTZ learnt. Seemed like godly stuff too.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Yes, the irony is that, as the saying goes, "all Central Plains martial arts originated from Shaolin, and all Shaolin martial arts were based on Damo" (and of course, Damo is not Chinese).

But, I think Duan Family & Dugu == Central Plains. Murong also == Central Plains (in terms of martial arts classification).

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I reckon Ba Gua is better than SiXiang
    Yes, the pattern would seem that 4 (sixiang) > 2 (liangyi), and 8 (bagua) > 4.